Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I agree with that more or less. The numbers I gave were all BS for example. But it seems self-evident to me that games like RE3 were more focused on combat than RE1 ever was. Then Code Veronica had stuff like Steve crashing through a window and shooting a million bullets even though he was wielding Lugers. Stuff like that shouts "ACTION!!!" to me.

There is no rigorous scientific measure I can apply here - it was just an idea for a topic or discussion, nothing more or less. But I never expected anyone to say the first RE game wasn't Horror at all. That is honestly a viewpoint I have never once heard in my life. Oh sure I've heard people who say nothing about it was scary and that it was just boring. But "horror" =/= scary. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan was "Horror."

They're all various flavors of "horror" its just the framing and composition of scenes as well as ease of actually doing your combat moves changed over the franchise. Compare the mise en scene (sequence? Whatever there isn't a good defined term for videogames) of RE1's giant gently caress-off snake of doom and RE6's big gently caress-off snake of doom. They're both with the same protagonist doing the same "run through claustrophobic corridors before blasting a giant snake at different points" but they have different tone and different approaches to horror. I'd argue RE6 works a lot better at conveying horror even if mechanically both of them aren't fun at all.

For bonus points note the difference between PSX RE1 and Remake RE1 and DS RE1 versions of the Yawn encounter mise en scene. Snakes I guess if we count DS RE1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I can see your point but just out of curiosity, what's different about RE Yawn vs. DS Yawn? I never played the DS version. I thought it was just a straight port of RE1 original but with some of the DS functions shoehorned in.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I can see your point but just out of curiosity, what's different about RE Yawn vs. DS Yawn? I never played the DS version. I thought it was just a straight port of RE1 original but with some of the DS functions shoehorned in.

There is a second Yawn in the DS version. While it seems like a minor point on whether you have one or two gigantic snakes the player encounters in the game it impacts the player experience. Instead of being a horrifying one time encounter you end up facing the same creature again with much better weapons and a wide open space where you can both just ditch it as well as just blow it away with your superior weapons. It diminishes the experience in the same way that repeatedly killing Jason reduced him to Jason Takes Manhattan.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So you are saying the DS version makes Yawn less threatening or scary or whatever? I'm jut not sure I'm getting your point here. You said RE6's equivalent was perhaps better than RE1's so I figured you were saying the same for REmake and DS. Sorry if I misread or misunderstood what you said.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So you are saying the DS version makes Yawn less threatening or scary or whatever? I'm jut not sure I'm getting your point here. You said RE6's equivalent was perhaps better than RE1's so I figured you were saying the same for REmake and DS. Sorry if I misread or misunderstood what you said.

I think the DS version is a step backwards from the original in terms of horror despite using otherwise almost entirely identical features (slash the DS screen to knife, this isn't annoying!) with the simple introduction of a second giant snake. Should probably also mention the DS remake features a mode with like double the ammo and double the enemies.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

RE1 was built more around avoiding enemies than gunning them down. Who plays the first RE game to blow off zombie heads? If you waste all your shells on that, you're just leaving yourself vulnerable to the Hunters when they show up. The smart move is to avoid the slow-rear end zombies the best you can and conserve ammo for the Hunters. At least that's how I do it.

I absolutely played that game to blow off zombie heads. I never understood why people ran around zombies, that always seemed pointless. That game (and 2 as well) gave you more than enough ammo to kill every single enemy in the game, at least if you played as Jill (I forget how Chris worked, but I don't remember having issues with him either), so the survival aspect always seemed to mainly consist of inventory management and using weaker guns against stronger enemies.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 19, 2014

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

NikkolasKing posted:

In any event, the controls seem to me to be tailor-made to make the game as unwieldy as possible. Seems like an odd choice if the game was encouraging you to fight it out and kill everything...
Are you really saying the controls were unwieldy on purpose?

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hakkesshu posted:

I absolutely played that game to blow off zombie heads. I never understood why people ran around zombies, that always seemed pointless. That game (and 2 as well) gave you more than enough ammo to kill every single enemy in the game, at least if you played as Jill (I forget how Chris worked, but I don't remember having issues with him either), so the survival aspect always seemed to mainly consist of inventory management and using weaker guns against stronger enemies.

I consider myself to be a barely above average player, and I tried to do a no shotgun RE2 run, and it's possible. Keep in mind I don't actually dodge a lot of enemies (except those that are obviously intended to be dodged), and didn't even pick up the SMG. I'm sure it's quite possible to do an exterminator run on RE2 and still finish with some ammo.

It might not work with RE3, you do get a lot of ammo, but Nemesis will eat most of it.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

NikkolasKing posted:

In any event, the controls seem to me to be tailor-made to make the game as unwieldy as possible. Seems like an odd choice if the game was encouraging you to fight it out and kill everything...
Apparently that mindset is making a return in The Evil Within, granted it's not a RE game, but it's from Mikami.

After watching the latest gameplay reveal it looks clunky as hell and combined with the camera looks like half the difficulty will be actually using the controls. :toot: Saved me £50 at least.

And the best thing about Nemesis / Mr. X was definitely that they could transition rooms. When those games first game out the idea of enemies following you through a door just wasn't a thing in RE.

Then you hear the door slam and hear heavy boots thundering off camera, or run like gently caress when the door you've just entered with is being rattled in it's frame. :stare:

limited fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Aug 19, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

limited posted:

After watching the latest gameplay reveal it looks clunky as hell and combined with the camera looks like half the difficulty will be actually using the controls. :toot: Saved me £50 at least.

I'm not sure what's so clunky about that. It looks like a slower-paced third person game a la The Last of Us. The real crime with The Evil Within is that they gave it such a generic name instead of the much cooler Japanese name PSYCHOBREAK.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 19, 2014

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

It might depend on whether you're playing the original or the DC, the original western release was made quite a bit harder than the japanese version, while the DC's original mode is based on the japanese difficulty in all versions. In the DC you can pretty much shoot your way throughout the entire game, I kill almost every enemy in the game with the grenade launcher when playing as Jill, while playing as Chris you get more than enough shotgun shells that I pretty much throw away the beretta once I get it.

It's been over 10 years since I've played the western vanilla release, but don't the hunters in that version take like 6-7 shotgun shells instead of only 3?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

WitchFetish posted:

I consider myself to be a barely above average player, and I tried to do a no shotgun RE2 run, and it's possible. Keep in mind I don't actually dodge a lot of enemies (except those that are obviously intended to be dodged), and didn't even pick up the SMG. I'm sure it's quite possible to do an exterminator run on RE2 and still finish with some ammo.

It might not work with RE3, you do get a lot of ammo, but Nemesis will eat most of it.

I would consider myself a barely average gamer but I think everyone agrees RE2 was extremely easy. If you guys ever want to watch a nice Video LP of RE1-3 and CVX, the DO IT TO IT crew did a great one and I'm bringing this up because the LP was largely a clusterfuck of them not knowing what to do and dying a decent bit. The one game they died the least in was RE2 and that was only because they didn't heal fast enough in the final fight with the Tyrant/Mr. X. You get so much health in that game it's crazy. The greater quantity of zombies isn't really a threat at all.

Akuma posted:

Are you really saying the controls were unwieldy on purpose?

Well I would have thought so but I'm kinda arguing this same point elsewhere and older fans than myself are telling me RE1 was originally toted as an Action Game. That sounds crazy to me but I also got some interesting quotes from Mikami himself on "Horror" and "Survival Horror"
http://www.vg247.com/2014/06/12/the-evil-within-shinji_mikami-survival-horror/

quote:

“In games in Japan, a typical horror game is something like Clock Tower or Silent Hill but survival horror, the kind of game I like to create, is also entertainment,” Mikami said.

“The horror aspect of the game and the entertainment aspect of the game have to mix together.

“It’s a close genre but the difference between pure horror and survival horror is that in the latter you can defeat the monsters and feel good about it. You have to have that sense of being able to defeat a monster, even if it’s tough.

“I’ve made Evil Within to be a very difficult game but when you finish the game, you will feel a sense of achievement. It is scary, but don’t be scared too much.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/26/resident-evil-4-came-out-of-the-commercial-failure-of-re-remake

quote:

First, we asked Mikami to elaborate on how The Evil Within will return to survival horror’s roots. “Survival horror has become a popular genre, so a lot of people have been making games in that area. But survival horror has become more action-oriented,” Mikami said. “To me, survival horror is a balance between a scary kind of gameplay and the challenge of overcoming that fear. You get a sense of achievement out of that. The fine balance between those two is what makes survival horror. We’re starting to see that kind of game less and less, so I wanted to go back and make what I think is true survival horror.”

But the survival horror genre has changed significantly over the last 17 years and has adopted more of an action focus. In a game like Resident Evil, limitations on items and ammo would create a roadblock for some players. Perhaps the reason the genre became more action-focused is just because a game of a certain budget needs a big audience – it needs a lot of people to be able to play it and finish it. Is there a way to balance that?

“One thing that I’ve been observing… I’ve been looking at the survival horror genre for a long time. I don’t think it’s specifically because developers want to appeal to a wider audience. I think they just want to make their games more fun, and if they’re reaching more and more in that direction, they’re naturally going to go toward more action,” Mikami explained.

Assuming he's held more or less this same philosophy since 1996, I'm not sure how the original Resident Evil compares.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Weren't there two encounters with the giant snake in the PS1 version anyway? The main one in the attic and then on the return to the mansion on the route to picking up the magnum (I think).

Anyway, I played vanilla PS1 RE and can count the number of zombies I left alive on one hand. As long as you don't waste bullets due to no auto aim you have enough ammo to kill pretty much everything.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

John Luebke posted:

It might depend on whether you're playing the original or the DC, the original western release was made quite a bit harder than the japanese version, while the DC's original mode is based on the japanese difficulty in all versions. In the DC you can pretty much shoot your way throughout the entire game, I kill almost every enemy in the game with the grenade launcher when playing as Jill, while playing as Chris you get more than enough shotgun shells that I pretty much throw away the beretta once I get it.

It's been over 10 years since I've played the western vanilla release, but don't the hunters in that version take like 6-7 shotgun shells instead of only 3?

I've never played the DC, and I don't think that's the case. Like, when I play Resident Evil, I never use anything bigger than a shotgun unless I'm at a boss, so I do end up conserving ammo, but never by avoiding enemies. No zombie left alive, er, dead.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
Oh well, there goes my theory. But speaking of RE1's difficulty, I recently tried to get through the DC's arranged mode with Chris for the first time, (Never tried that mode with Jill either.) and it wasn't really that much harder, just a lot more tedious, until your second visit to the mansion. How the hell are you supposed to get through the basement with several hunter ambushing you in each room, especially when they can deal way more damage than they do in the normal game.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

John Luebke posted:

Oh well, there goes my theory. But speaking of RE1's difficulty, I recently tried to get through the DC's arranged mode with Chris for the first time, (Never tried that mode with Jill either.) and it wasn't really that much harder, just a lot more tedious, until your second visit to the mansion. How the hell are you supposed to get through the basement with several hunter ambushing you in each room, especially when they can deal way more damage than they do in the normal game.

Use the magnum against the hunters. It's nearly useless against the Snake boss and you shouldn't waste the ammo before you get to the hunters. Make a beeline to retrieve the ammo from the trophy, tiger-jewel, and office rooms, and try to avoid wasting ammo with misses. Consider bringing the shotgun for clean-up on lone or injured Hunters.

Alternatively run from them and tank any hits if you'll only be in the room once (i.e. the basement.). There are also quite a few rooms with respawned enemies you don't need to visit at all on the return trip, especially as Jill if you wait for Barry to replace the rope.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think another difficulty difference between vanilla RE1 and RE Director's Cut was that the former had auto-aim removed? At least in the US version. Every "classic" RE game after RE1 had auto-aim though I'm pretty sure.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Pretty much. To be fair though it's disabled by default in Resident Evil 2. You have to switch it to Aiming Mode C there.

The game does sort of let you get away with having enemies either have a decent hitbox, or having it so the game corrects a bit. So long as you're aimed roughly at them, you'll hit, and the game doesn't care where you hit them unless it's checking for a head or leg shot. About the only thing it really does is make the shotgun even more useful and make you suck a few hits or burn a few rounds until you know how to aim at them and can set it up before they can hit you.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The hardest part of any resident evil game is starting out. But once you know the tricks, you can easily assemble a stockpile of ammunition, you just have to know where things are "hidden", cause the ammo you get from Kenneth's corpse is a lifesaver.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 is real.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Hopefully Wesker is in the game.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

I'm hoping the revelation is that they are on a third cruise ship.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I hope Parker is back. I need more burly lariats and fire axes in my life.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
All I hope for is another raid mode...

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

The GIG posted:

I hope Parker is back. I need more burly lariats and fire axes in my life.

You mean you need someone to buy you lunch. All day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lytE54PHulY

Also oh poo poo yeah, raid mode on a game tailored for consoles!

WOOOOOO

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

blackguy32 posted:

The hardest part of any resident evil game is starting out. But once you know the tricks, you can easily assemble a stockpile of ammunition, you just have to know where things are "hidden", cause the ammo you get from Kenneth's corpse is a lifesaver.

I kinda disagree that the hardest part is starting out, even for a newcomer to the series. The sole exception to the older games is RE2.

The first game, Remake or otherwise, starts you in a relatively safe portion of the mansion. Sure, resources may be hard to find if you aren't scouring the map or don't know what you're doing, but most of the combat can be avoided or run from, and there's still a fair amount of obvious ammo and health to pick up. There's a few spots where going there without prep can kill you, but even then it requires you to stick around and get chomped on as opposed to leaving.

RE3 has a mildly difficult starting room, but that's only if you stay and fight. Hell, they have you facing away from the small group of zombies towards the exit to run, which fits into a large portion of the game (running away from poo poo you can't really fight well). The only way you'll die in that part is if you try and get into a slug fest with the zombies. After that room they literally stick you in a safe area, give you a lot of supplies (30 handgun bullets, two gunpowders that can make another 30-35 bullets, a first aid spray, ink ribbon), and then proceed to dump a decent amount of loot in almost every room thereafter (even if, like in the case of the cars or the shutter with the grenades, you can only access it later). Sure, Nemesis comes in and can kick your rear end pretty thoroughly, but the default option is to run the gently caress away and that option is always on the table in that fight.

RE0's opening is only difficult because Rebecca is made of porcelain. The first fight can be gotten through without injury and she starts with spare ammo, unlike literally every other character in the early games save Chris in Code Veronica. I haven't played in years but I remember it not being too difficult unless you're being dumb or you're playing as Rebecca every chance.

Code Veronica has a difficult first room combat room, but running from it (or even fighting, as the knife is overpowered now) can be done fairly easily. Plus you get the handgun then the dual handguns fairly quickly, so the prison's kind of a breeze initially. It's only later on, after you run yourself out of ammo before the first boss fight, that the game really gets difficult.

RE2 is the only one with a really difficult opening. The entire opening area is a difficult tutorial in either dodging and running, or managing your resources. Twenty-eight or thirty zombies, spread amongst seven rooms, with difficult dodging paths and not nearly enough ammo to deal with them unless you're on easy difficulty. There's no health items, much of the ammo is hidden (there's two semi-obvious ammo packs in the gun shop and that's it: every other one requires you to search an object), and fighting generally means the zombies have a chance to box you in in most cases. Getting the shotgun or crossbow off of Robert Kendo's body requires you to fight or take hits from the group of four zombies around him, and even then it's just four shots. I can say with confidence that as a kid I died on this section more than I've done in every other of the old games combined, and that includes stupid poo poo like trying to fight the Nemesis with a knife. Yeah, once you know it it isn't too bad, but to a newbie player coming off of RE1 the opening of RE2 is a slap to the face.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Mountain Lightning posted:

RE2 is the only one with a really difficult opening. The entire opening area is a difficult tutorial in either dodging and running, or managing your resources. Twenty-eight or thirty zombies, spread amongst seven rooms, with difficult dodging paths and not nearly enough ammo to deal with them unless you're on easy difficulty. There's no health items, much of the ammo is hidden (there's two semi-obvious ammo packs in the gun shop and that's it: every other one requires you to search an object), and fighting generally means the zombies have a chance to box you in in most cases. Getting the shotgun or crossbow off of Robert Kendo's body requires you to fight or take hits from the group of four zombies around him, and even then it's just four shots. I can say with confidence that as a kid I died on this section more than I've done in every other of the old games combined, and that includes stupid poo poo like trying to fight the Nemesis with a knife. Yeah, once you know it it isn't too bad, but to a newbie player coming off of RE1 the opening of RE2 is a slap to the face.

I loved the intro to RE2, it really teaches you learn to dodge or die, it was a real trial by fire on normal. Especially if you wanted Brad to spawn at the police station so you can get the extra costumes or Claire the Revolver Ocelot special.

Also, you can totally get the shotgun/bowgun off Kendo without taking hits or firing a shot, so long as you're quick :eng101:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is there anything more subjective than game difficulty? I swear you will hear two posts back-to-back saying "this was the hardest game ever" and then "this was the easiest game ever." A general consensus can sometimes be found if you're lucky but man, game difficulty debates go in endless circles.

It's like how all the pros tell you every superboss who killed you in one hit is actually a cakewalk.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Is there anything more subjective than game difficulty? I swear you will hear two posts back-to-back saying "this was the hardest game ever" and then "this was the easiest game ever." A general consensus can sometimes be found if you're lucky but man, game difficulty debates go in endless circles.

It's like how all the pros tell you every superboss who killed you in one hit is actually a cakewalk.

Game difficulty is fairly subjective although it is possible for difficulty to be overstated or understated due to a lack of understanding of mechanics. Resident Evil 4 is an interesting example here as a lot of people neglected or avoiding the melee attacks. The end result of this is that they'd find enemies a lot more durable and have significantly less ammo and would have greater difficulty with scenarios which heavily emphasized melee attacks. RE5 and 6 also run into this problem.

Basically, there's a very real difference in difficulty due to lack of understanding vs difficulty due to a high mechanical skill assumption. It's possible for someone to be wrong in the case of the former because they didn't understand how the game worked and once they are informed the game becomes much easier. In the case of the latter it really is subjective, and of course a game can feature both. (RE4 is easier if you understand its emphasis on melee combat but it can still overwhelm players.)

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Decided to start playing Revelations since Rev 2 just got announced, it's not bad! Jill's voice acting seems kinda lifeless so far, but everyone else is interesting. Hard to get used to the lack of facial animation in the cutscenes compared to 6, but the actual game is pretty solid.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ImpAtom posted:

Game difficulty is fairly subjective although it is possible for difficulty to be overstated or understated due to a lack of understanding of mechanics. Resident Evil 4 is an interesting example here as a lot of people neglected or avoiding the melee attacks. The end result of this is that they'd find enemies a lot more durable and have significantly less ammo and would have greater difficulty with scenarios which heavily emphasized melee attacks. RE5 and 6 also run into this problem.

Basically, there's a very real difference in difficulty due to lack of understanding vs difficulty due to a high mechanical skill assumption. It's possible for someone to be wrong in the case of the former because they didn't understand how the game worked and once they are informed the game becomes much easier. In the case of the latter it really is subjective, and of course a game can feature both. (RE4 is easier if you understand its emphasis on melee combat but it can still overwhelm players.)
RE4 is a bad example since different versions have a huge difference in ammo drop rates. I do agree on a mastery of mechanics can break a game that is very hard on its own merits.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Scalding Coffee posted:

RE4 is a bad example since different versions have a huge difference in ammo drop rates. I do agree on a mastery of mechanics can break a game that is very hard on its own merits.

RE4 is not a good example because the difficulty adapts. If you are doing really well, enemies get a lot more HP and do quite a bit more damage. I notice it a lot now that I am not doing new game plus but am decent enough at the game to not die.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So basically to play RE4 at its hardest you would have to play it on Pro and never die so enemies are always as strong as they can be?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
If I'm not mistaken, enemies are locked at the highest difficulty on Professional mode. At least, that's how it is on RE5's Professional mode.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

So basically to play RE4 at its hardest you would have to play it on Pro and never die so enemies are always as strong as they can be?

Pretty much. I never noticed the first time I played. But now that I am playing a new game from scratch again, it is hard not to notice. From TV Tropes:

quote:

In Resident Evil 4, playing well will increase the amount of spawned enemies and improve their AI; conversely, playing poorly and dying often reduces the number of foes and disables most of their AI. Ammo and health item rarity is also affected by dying.
Resident Evil 5 has a similar dynamic difficulty mechanic to Resident Evil 4, which has been discovered to use a hidden points system. Basically, the game has 11 separate "sub-levels" for the difficulty level, changing how much damage enemies deal, and how much damage they take from your weapons. Attacking and killing enemies adds points in small amounts (anywhere from 2 points for each hit you deal, to 100 points for a critical headshot), while taking damage or dying subtracts points in larger amounts (from 400 points for a small hit, to 1200 points for dying and continuing). For every 1000 points added or subtracted, the game shifts the difficulty up or down one level. Each of the four difficulty modes (Amateur, Normal, Veteran and Professional) has a minimum and maximum setting, and although some of them overlap, Professional mode is in a league of its own. At the lowest setting, enemies deal half as much damage to you, and take 2.5 times normal damage from your weapons. For the sake of comparison, Veteran mode's highest setting is the second-highest overall, where enemies deal three times normal damage to you, and take 88% normal damage from your weapons. The highest setting, which Professional mode stays at all the time, makes enemies deal ten times normal damage to you. The official guide had an entire section devoted to this system, and how to game it.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 20, 2014

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Spalec posted:

I loved the intro to RE2, it really teaches you learn to dodge or die, it was a real trial by fire on normal. Especially if you wanted Brad to spawn at the police station so you can get the extra costumes or Claire the Revolver Ocelot special.

Also, you can totally get the shotgun/bowgun off Kendo without taking hits or firing a shot, so long as you're quick :eng101:

It was definitely an interesting experience as a kid, that was for sure. And I've only gotten it once by being quick, as even with exiting and re-entering the shop the zombies are a bit too close to the body or the exit for comfort. I figured it was a fluke more than anything else, as opposed to any legitimate dodging skill or luck.

NikkolasKing posted:

You raise a fair point. I think what I meant was that the early game of the older Resident Evils either starts slowly (Mansion exploration in 1, Train Exploration in 0) or gives you equipment before anything serious (RE3 and the fact that the warehouse gives you a lot and every room after gives you prizes; CV giving you some supplies before the first fight then giving you even more quickly after). Resident Evil 2's opening, on the other hand, is a shock on multiple levels. People used to the first game are getting shocked by the increase in opposition (remember, in RE1 there was a hard cap on 3 enemies in almost every room) and combat they throw you right into, as well as the fact that at least initially resources seem even more scarce. No health items and on Normal a maximum of 93 pistol bullets and four shells (or 88 pistol and 4 bowgun shots) for thirty zombies (doing the math: not enough to drop them all let alone kill them), and you have some issues for the opening. The best way to handle the opening areas is running and dodging, something that most people seem to have difficulty with one way or another (Insert obligatory "Tank controls suck" argument). And there's the fact that the zombies had improved movement speed and moving ability, and were now capable of both lunging forward to grab you as you ran past and turning around a bit quicker to grab you as you ran behind them.

Coming into it blind is even worse, as remember a lot of games similar to RE at the time either gave ammo like candy or had infinite ammo to begin with. There is also the fact that most games at the time had nothing stopping you (and occasionally rewarded you for) killing everything you saw and never running from a fight. So you had a very difficult room with not enough ammo to handle it, with players used to trying to kill everything with their limitless ammo, and thus a lot of newbies to the Resident Evil series died in that first room many times until they learned "Oh hey, I should probably run."

Edit: Mild grammar edit.

Mountain Lightning fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 20, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I think the problem with the comparison with RE1 and RE2 is that in RE2, you can tank a lot of hits. In RE1, if you were chris, you could take maybe 2 bites before you are at least at yellow fine if not caution. With RE2, you can take 3 if not more and still be doing well.

RE1 is tough because if you don't know what you are doing, you can easily get stuck with very little health options, because for some reason, RE1 is really bad a putting herbs right next to each other yet not giving you much space to carry them.

I played and beat RE2 before even touching RE1, but I found RE2 infinitely easier. They made a lot of concessions to make the game much easier than its predecessor.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

blackguy32 posted:

I think the problem with the comparison with RE1 and RE2 is that in RE2, you can tank a lot of hits. In RE1, if you were chris, you could take maybe 2 bites before you are at least at yellow fine if not caution. With RE2, you can take 3 if not more and still be doing well.

RE1 is tough because if you don't know what you are doing, you can easily get stuck with very little health options, because for some reason, RE1 is really bad a putting herbs right next to each other yet not giving you much space to carry them.

I played and beat RE2 before even touching RE1, but I found RE2 infinitely easier. They made a lot of concessions to make the game much easier than its predecessor.

I don't seem to recall much difference in HP between Leon and Chris, or Claire and Jill. Damage is sort of random amongst attacks to start with, and starting with RE2 you can shake yourself out of bites, which can definitely help matters. So that might be why it seems Leon/Claire can tank better. However, conversely they also start showing signs of their injuries, so in a way the PSX RE1 cast are better at tanking because they can still run from enemies at Danger status a fuckload better than the RE2 cast.

If memory recalls, most of the bigger herb stashs are within walking distance of save rooms (the Plant Room in the mansion, the herbs on the walkways outside of the Guardhouse) or are in central hubs that you're likely to visit multiple times (the courtyard area outside the mansion, for example). The bigger stashes often have red herbs present so you can generally mix them into smaller batches as well.

There is definitely some oddity between games in both directions, I will agree with you there. RE2 has a bunch of quality of life improvements that make RE1 seem clunky and more difficult in comparison, and while the wound-system is annoying it's also great for telling what your health is on the fly. The game's still figuring out its various things so items can be more difficult to find and most of the good ammo is either locked away in small-key desks or hidden roughly out of sight. Combine that with 1 having not only Hunters, but the un-nerfed horrible murder machine Hunters, and I can see someone going from 2 to 1 finding the first game more difficult. It'd be very easy to get wrecked in that transition.

As mentioned though, it works both ways. RE2 features much more enemies per room and more "elite" enemies in general. Lickers start appearing right out of the gate after arriving at the police station and dogs are still present in the game series (as opposed to later/"earlier" later games, where dogs are more of an afterthought most of the time). Spiders start showing up reasonably frequently, Lickers get upgraded by the time you hit the labs to almost Hunter-level bullshit, and the Ivies are solid walls of murder meat that might actually be poisonous depending on what you do in the game. The bosses are also more threatening to a small extent. Most of the ones in RE1 can either be avoided, have a weakness to exploit, or aren't even remotely threatening (Plant 42 is pretty much an ammo sink, honestly, as the only way it can hurt you is if you either stay in the obvious "Acid is falling" spot or you run right into it). In RE2 pretty much every boss at least hits like a truck and the weakness isn't too obvious. A lot of them may be boring, but at least they aren't as bad as some of RE1's bosses and can actually be a threat.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I would agree with RE2 being more difficult if they didn't arm you like a fortress. To put it in perspective, if I remember correctly, you can drop Birkin's first form in Scenario A with one shot from the upgraded magnum. The dogs are only in about 2 or 3 areas of the game and can easily be stunlocked with a handgun.

That and being able to carry 8 items at minimum makes it much more manageable, but then again, I am the guy who has only beaten Jill's game like twice, while beating Chris's about 10 times. For some reason, I like his scenario better, and its not for the challenge, because most of the challenge he faces is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Man, remember when you couldn't just use herbs that were on the ground? Used to be if you didn't have inventory space you were poo poo out of luck :corsair: