Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CVX might have looked good for its day but it has aged far worse than the old games. I believe it's the lack of prerendered backgrounds? Even the PS1 titles look way better than it nowadays thanks to that little feature. Well, RE2 and 3, RE1 is kinda...yeah. REmake and REzero both still look pretty nice too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Even the PS1 titles look way better than it nowadays thanks to that little feature.

I'm playing through 1 right now and they really don't. I mean I'm surprised by how not crappy it looks, but blown up on a 50 inch TV that resolution is roooouugh, man.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NikkolasKing posted:

CVX might have looked good for its day but it has aged far worse than the old games. I believe it's the lack of prerendered backgrounds? Even the PS1 titles look way better than it nowadays thanks to that little feature. Well, RE2 and 3, RE1 is kinda...yeah. REmake and REzero both still look pretty nice too.

Yeah, no, anything before Code Veronica just looks like a mess of pixels on any slightly modern TV and RE 1 in particular was laughably bad even a couple of years later.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

*shrugs* I haven't touched Code Veronica in years and certainly not since getting my HDTV. I'm going off what I've heard from other people who say it is amazingly ugly even compared to the PS1 titles.

I recall it was discussed in DO IT TO IT's RE series LP. I'd link to it but the Archives are down right now I guess.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 22, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, no, anything before Code Veronica just looks like a mess of pixels on any slightly modern TV and RE 1 in particular was laughably bad even a couple of years later.

I definitely can't agree with this having played them on a pretty good size modern tv. I mean the pre-rendered images from the nineties look like pre-rendered images from the nineties. Though the higher resolution of the DC/GC ports is very helpful.

Code Veronica's graphics were great for the time overall but even when it was new they were a bit inconsistent. Wood and certain other things looked the same as other 3D games of the time. The real thing with the graphics when it came out was that it looked as good as it did in real time, with a few really cool in-game transitions to the gameplay. The character models have aged the worst in it though. It holds up in other ways, the lighting and animation were actually really smooth for the time and still pretty nice, etc.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
When it first came out Code Veronia was holy poo poo CG level at times... I haven't gone back and played it, but your perception will probably hinge greatly on how much you enjoy the Dreamcast game aesthetic - and that might only even show through when playing it with an actual Dreamcast on a CRT.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I guess when I finally get my Sony PVM in addition to hooking it up to my Saturn I should also get a Dreamcast so I can play all the old RE games looking as nice as they possibly can look.

Hey, maybeE I should even get a PS1 or something. Metal Gear Solid might even still look good when it's only on a CRT.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
When re:cv came out, that was the game to own. It's only recently that I've started to hear people disparage it.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Revelations is on sale this weekend only on PSN for 9.99. Pretty great deal for the price of you haven't played it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Sakurazuka posted:

All Playstation games looked like rear end at the time. It was the CGI and hyper-realistic character models that sold the games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

blackguy32 posted:

When re:cv came out, that was the game to own. It's only recently that I've started to hear people disparage it.

I believe I've mentioned it before in this thread but CV was basically that generation's MGS4. An early gen super hyped pretty game everyone wanted to like so people were willing to give its immediate flaws a pass then years later become more willing to say why it sucks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I bought it launch day and hated it. I owned the dumb thing for nearly a decade and couldn't be assed to beat it and I'll be totally honest it surprises me every time I encounter people who say its good or that people liked it generally when it launched.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Barudak posted:

I bought it launch day and hated it. I owned the dumb thing for nearly a decade and couldn't be assed to beat it and I'll be totally honest it surprises me every time I encounter people who say its good or that people liked it generally when it launched.

I preordered that poo poo on the PS2 for Wesker's Report :c00lbutt:

Then my brother lent the binder it was in to a friend, and it was lost forever...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mogomra posted:

I preordered that poo poo on the PS2 for Wesker's Report :c00lbutt:

Then my brother lent the binder it was in to a friend, and it was lost forever...

Imported the DC version from Japan, to this day it's one of only two Japanese games I own (the other being Ryu Kezan). I figured I'd be okay because I knew how Resi games worked and all the cutscenes are in English anyway, but I ended up getting stumped by the portrait puzzle.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

blackguy32 posted:

I won't say I hated the game, but I feel it wasn't a particularly good entry in the series. Still better than the Survivor series and 0, though.

It did a lot of interesting things, sure, like the dual-guns and what not, but by and large they felt tacked on. There's dual guns yeah, but the Calico's are sort of easy to miss, the first set of Submachine Guns are used by Steve and only for a short section, you get no ammo for the Lugers, and you can miss out on the second set of Submachine guns through a variety of means including taking too long fighting the loving giant worm. There's only three BOW gas rounds to a pack, one pack in the game, and they're easy to miss out on as well. Hell, I'm not even sure what they really do; they didn't seem to affect any of the bosses and I think they only knocked out the zombies I tried them on. The Lighter being something you can equip is nearly useless: you need it for the start of the game to trigger Rodrigo but after that it's only two uses as equipment aren't all that useful. Bats can be ignored in almost every situation and outside of a few rooms the lighting's never bad enough that you'd need it. Hell, chances are good the one place it would be nice (the Mansion) you won't even have it.

For starters, having the knife be fantastic was an interesting choice, but it was just too robust. If you know what you're doing the knife is pretty much effective on all the low-tier enemies and you can even take on bandersnatches and hunters with it if you have more health than sense. Hell, for Rockford Island as Claire you can pretty much knife everything except the Tyrant and the Bandersnatches and end up with a shitload of ammo and only a little extra health item loss. Even if you're not all that great with the games, the knife was still a good weapon, doing effectively two to four hits (which I think do the same damage as pistol shots) per swing.

On less "fun" flaws, the new enemies weren't interesting and were mostly not a threat. The Bandersnatch really wasn't a threat even if you were under-equipped, outside of the usual "Oh poo poo a non-zombie enemy" fear new players might get. Albinoids literally show up for one room and you don't even have time to fight them. The bats were basically crows but worse, as they'd take their leisurely time getting to you and you could drive them off with the lighter. About the only time they're a threat is in the stairwell to the Ashford Mansion, and that's only because there's a decent chance you gave your lighter to Rodrigo anyway. The moths are also limited to one room and are more annoying than threatening: they poison you like crazy but there's a blue herb tray in the room, and when Chris arrives in Antarctica you might not even see them. Oh, and some of the Hunters are now poisonous. :toot:

The returning enemies felt their most stale here as well. Code Veronica was the last call of the original breed of zombie (the REMake and 0 had ones slightly more robust, Outbreak's undead were like the originals but often faster and tougher depending on the difficulty, and ORC kind of has zombies as obstacles as opposed to legit threats). Unfortunately, it's about this point that they're kind of lame. To an experienced player, the only zombies that were anything resembling threats were the "hyper" zombies that ran like crazy and the zombies that are packing either bombs or parasites, and that was just because they'd hurt you if you killed them too close to you. Hell, they didn't even have the zombie heads exploding if you shotgun'd or magnum'd them.

Dogs were also on their last legs in this one, and if memory recalls they literally only appear in two rooms in the game. The Spiders were a bit more creepy and had a new attack, which is nice, but I dunno about you guys but I never really deal with the spiders anyway. Just run on past them, they're scenery. Hunters felt, well, kind of weak in this one. I don't recall if they have their instant-kill in this one, but they just didn't seem as powerful as in 1 or 3. Oh, and some of them poison you so again, woo.

The puzzles were largely annoying and in some instances make no loving sense. Admittedly I kind of like the first puzzle, the one where you have to clone the emblem using a cutting machine, but after that it's sort of downhill. Figuring out how to get into the Biohazard room requires you to look at a painting they both happen to have hanging up in a clean-suit lab and that also happens to have the code written on the corner in sharpie. Getting the code to Alfred's computer requires playing around with a weird loving orb thing mounted in his weird clock and is something I never really figured out how to do either as a kid or an adult, so either you go and get a walkthrough or you brute-force it. Same with that puzzle-cube thing you mess with as Chris: it's obtuse enough that I don't know anyone who figured out the puzzle legitimately. Putting in the temperature to find a chemical is really just busy work, forcing you to track down the facility's date of opening, which is only mentioned if you happen to check one specific part of a diorama you found ages ago and remembered it was there. The Card-key/Glass Ball puzzle is just bullshit. I'm probably forgetting some puzzles but they were probably terrible as well.

And the fetch-quests! Most of the fetch quest/items-as-keys poo poo was by and large stupid: Emblems for opening things that should take a key! Hang up a painting for a hidden diorama! Give up the Golden Guns to open a door! Put a sword into an iron maiden to get a piano-player roll that you can use to open a slot machine and get an actual loving key! Get the chemicals to melt one of those aforementioned Emblems so you can get a tiny golden halberd that'll get you into the hangar somehow *and* get you that aforementioned puzzle cube! The Military Emblems annoy me the most, simply because not only do you need to find three loving emblems to unlock the stairs/elevator to a cargo plane, but you then have to collect them again to turn off some nebulous lasers later on. Hell, they even pretty much give you one of them right off, the Navy medal just lying on a sidewalk out of the way. There's a lot of reuse of puzzles/emblem-fetching poo poo as well.

Don't get me wrong: most of the games have a stupid/annoying puzzle or fetch quest. RE1's puzzles are in the realm of madness, as were the various emblems. RE2 had the Tablet/Chess Piece poo poo to get to the sewers. RE3's puzzles were mostly fine but the two puzzles in the facility are rather annoyingly long, being a "maze" of steam-vents and a water-treatment matching puzzle respectively. Hell, the only game that I feel has worse puzzles and emblem/fetch quest bullshit is RE0.

There's a lot of fun to be had with CV and I feel it gets a worse rap than what it deserves, but it still kinda deserves some poo poo.

(To be completely fair, I enjoyed the Battle Game for CV immensely and I liked some of the little "lore" things, like the programmable Hunters and a lot of the Umbrella Super Science (Plasma launchers, Genetic Engineering, Human Cloning) that this game introduces into the story. And again, that puzzle is a really nice bit, both for the actual puzzle and the immense dick move of having zombies attack while you're unarmed.)

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

NikkolasKing posted:

The problem with Nemesis is that he becomes less remarkable very quickly. Sure it's scary the first time or maybe the second time but sooner rather than later you will come to just expect him. "Oh yeah, as soon as I leave this camera angle and it no longer shows the door, Nemesis will be able to pop up. Ho-hum." He also annoys you while you're trying to solve puzzles.

A guy elsewhere likened RE1 and 2 to "Adventure Games with horror elements." I like that. RE1 and 2 were indeed largely about explortation. Going through the Mansion or the RPD and examining the many different things you could look at. RE3 though, and this is what I was saying earlier about it being far more action-based, doesn't allow for this. It be cool to just look around destroyed Raccoon City but Nemesis is gonna pop up and make you run run run instead of stopping to enjoy the scenery.

That's why I don't like it as much.

I might be misremembering, since it's been a year or so since I last played RE3 and it's been even longer than that since I actually played the "Run away from Nemesis and not kill him every encounter" game, but I don't feel that's the case. The game attempts to build up Nemesis dread but they usually also make sure to let you know when you're in the clear (for now). For instance, the Nemesis background music and theme tune will cut out of the background audio when you have left him behind (such as by fleeing that section of town), letting you know that you can slow down and explore again.

And while it's probably scripted, there's quite a few bits where he won't just be directly chasing you. For instance, the third encounter with Nemesis in either the Diner or the Newspaper Office, after you flee from him he might try cutting you off or ambushing you instead of heading right for you. He'll pull it to a lesser extent in the Clock Tower as well. And even if you're uncaring about Nemesis there's still the sort of thrill of being forced to fight or flee from him in the cramped initial encounter environment, which is roughly half of the non-boss encounters with Nemesis.

Besides, pretty much every area you encounter Nemesis and he'll chase you in you can either revisit or you explore a bunch before he arrives. Unless you're new and completely paranoid he might ambush you anywhere, you have plenty of time to check the sights, even without backtracking.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Anyone who did not poo poo themselves the first time he jumped through a window and took aim with a rocket launcher is lying. :colbert:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Mountain Lightning posted:

Getting the code to Alfred's computer requires playing around with a weird loving orb thing mounted in his weird clock and is something I never really figured out how to do either as a kid or an adult, so either you go and get a walkthrough or you brute-force it.

The directions to solve this puzzle are explicitly told to you in a file located right next to the computer in question. This really isn't a good example of RE:CV's obtuse puzzle design because the solution for this one is flat out told to you. The puzzle cube thing is very obliquely referenced I think with some manner of phrasing relating to the "other side", so you like look at the cube and find the symbol and then find the symbol on the other side of the cube and punch that poo poo in. It stands in stark contrast to the aforementioned computer puzzle because that puzzle's solution is located too close to the puzzle while the paperweight puzzle is located too loving far away from its solution so hell if I'm remembering some vague puzzle hint by the time I actually reach the room where the puzzle is in.

Figuring out how to re-enter the Biohazard room though was loving dumb and I was stuck on that poo poo for like an hour. It's not even a puzzle, the random action of looking at a painting in the room via some random monitor produces the result I want.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

The directions to solve this puzzle are explicitly told to you in a file located right next to the computer in question. This really isn't a good example of RE:CV's obtuse puzzle design because the solution for this one is flat out told to you. The puzzle cube thing is very obliquely referenced I think with some manner of phrasing relating to the "other side", so you like look at the cube and find the symbol and then find the symbol on the other side of the cube and punch that poo poo in. It stands in stark contrast to the aforementioned computer puzzle because that puzzle's solution is located too close to the puzzle while the paperweight puzzle is located too loving far away from its solution so hell if I'm remembering some vague puzzle hint by the time I actually reach the room where the puzzle is in.

Figuring out how to re-enter the Biohazard room though was loving dumb and I was stuck on that poo poo for like an hour. It's not even a puzzle, the random action of looking at a painting in the room via some random monitor produces the result I want.

I believe a file actually tells you that he forgot the code and wrote it on a "creepy" picture in the room.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If you're gonna complain about the nonsensical puzzles in Resident Evil, you're about a decade and a half too late.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I always hoped one day the series would return to its batshit insane puzzles. It'd be better if they weren't as arbitrary, but really co-op should've meant more puzzles, not less. Two heads are better than one, right? :haw:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Geight posted:

I always hoped one day the series would return to its batshit insane puzzles. It'd be better if they weren't as arbitrary, but really co-op should've meant more puzzles, not less. Two heads are better than one, right? :haw:

Co op was a chance for some 1960s batman problem solving poo poo. A series of utterly nonsensical clues that you and your partner bounce off each other to get to the ultimate conclusion.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Co op was a chance for some 1960s batman problem solving poo poo. A series of utterly nonsensical clues that you and your partner bounce off each other to get to the ultimate conclusion.

So I opened the drawer inside the Umbrella Store and found a whisk inside a lump of tofu. Lump of tofu, hrmmm. Another word for lump is hunk, Hunk and Tofu with a whisk. A person who whisks is a whisker. Whisker, whisker, WESKER. Wesker has teamed up with Hunk and Tofu! Quick, Jill, to the Chris-Cave!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

poptart_fairy posted:

Anyone who did not poo poo themselves the first time he jumped through a window and took aim with a rocket launcher is lying. :colbert:

I remember I first played RE3 on a friend's PSOne right after it came out. I had played RE2 to death and felt pretty good about my chances against Nemesis, so I decided I'd stand my ground and take him on in the RPD's west office. Whatever, they gave Mr. X a gun, how bad could it be--

Then he loving dashed at me and I lost my drat mind.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Fun nemesis protip: if he's following you from room to room, you can just chill out for as long as you like near the door when you get through it. Nemesis won't show up until you leave the screen and the camera angle changes. Gives you time to heal and re-load.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
The only parts where Nemesis is constantly on your tail while you're trying to explore the area are the city area where you first meet Carlos and the clock tower.

The first one is easily solved by going back to the save room in the previous area, that'll make him disappear.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
The only thing that really made me mad about RE3 was that some of the nemesis encounters don't count towards getting the item he drops. That and the infinite ammo drop not dropping on your first play through.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

RE: Outbreak kinda had this, although it was more like the RE2/3 fetchquests with none of the especially dumb puzzles like the paintings or the water level stuff.

Also RE6 Mercs owns so dang much. I recently found out about the coup de grace + grenade glitch and feel like a dang god every time I get it vs. a large crowd.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Fereydun posted:

the coup de grace + grenade glitch

Care to explain?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Wanderer posted:

Then he loving dashed at me and I lost my drat mind.

Haha, yeah. I fought him the first time because he looked slow and cumbersome, but nearly goddamn screamed myself to death when I fought him in the corridor. Enemies aren't meant to run in that franchise! It wasn't natural!

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

1redflag posted:

Care to explain?

Appears to be a glitch where you set up an enemy for a coup-de-grace, then throw a grenade down, and then do the coup-de-grace. If the grenade goes off during the coup-de-grace animation (or perhaps just after you get the extra time from the coup-de-grace?) it gives you bonus time for all the enemies killed by the grenade, rather than just the one hit with the melee.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

smenj posted:

Appears to be a glitch where you set up an enemy for a coup-de-grace, then throw a grenade down, and then do the coup-de-grace. If the grenade goes off during the coup-de-grace animation (or perhaps just after you get the extra time from the coup-de-grace?) it gives you bonus time for all the enemies killed by the grenade, rather than just the one hit with the melee.

Yep. It's after the animation during the recovery too, as you can see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV89R4GKNro

I was playing with a dude who was able to do it pretty much nonstop vs. large crowds and we would constantly end up with over 30 minutes left on the clock whenever the game ended. It's really cool!

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Fereydun posted:

Yep. It's after the animation during the recovery too, as you can see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV89R4GKNro

I was playing with a dude who was able to do it pretty much nonstop vs. large crowds and we would constantly end up with over 30 minutes left on the clock whenever the game ended. It's really cool!

Hey, that's pretty awesome! I wonder why it happens, exactly. I suppose the game sets some kind of time bonus window for enemies killed while the animation's playing, but doesn't bother to screen how the enemies actually died? Can't help but wonder if stuff like this is intentional, or if they at least didn't fix it on purpose.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Holy gently caress the observation deck boss was obnoxious in Infernal difficulty, even with my ridiculous guns. Stripped my mods off my sniper rifle and just slapped them all onto a magnum because trying to scope in with the thing moving that fast is just futile. Revelations is a good game, I hope 2 keeps things similar with a grander scale.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
I managed to buy a copy of the Resident Evil Remake just before the announcement of the HD REmake remake. Rather than wait until early 2015, I decided to boot the game up. It is still relatively gorgeous and just oozes atmosphere. The fixed camera angles ramp up the tension to a level I have not experienced in more modern horror games. There's just something inherently terrifying watching your avatar stare into something you can't yet see yourself. Even the sound of something slowly shambling towards you gave me the goosebumps. One question though: since I've never beaten the original game from start to finish myself, should I go with the harder or easier difficulty setting? My friend did own the game back in 1996, and I watched him play almost from the beginning to the end, but I missed on a lot of stuff, because he did not always have the patience to wait for me to come over. I'm afraid of loving myself over by spending too many bullets on enemies you could easily avoid or missing on some ammunition that's crucial for the bosses.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Personally I'd go with the easier one because the main draw for me is the atmosphere rather than the resource management.

smenj posted:

Are we sure it's unintentional? OG Golden Axe does the same thing (you can use magic on downed enemies before their death animation to get double points on everything). It's how you get that A+++ rating on the scorecard when you beat it or get a game over.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 26, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
For me part of the tension is the fact that I might run out of bullets. If I had infinite ammo it wouldn't be as scary. The real resource management is deciding which bodies to burn...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Running out of bullets isn't really a thing I was worried about even on hard since it's obvious what areas have sufficient space to avoid zombies and you can use the defensive weapons here too.

Despite the game's incredible sound, one intentional holding back of that in the remake is that there's no positional audio for the zombies themselves. The only volumes for their moaning/shuffling is "far away" and "really close" so you can't tell which way they're coming from when they're off screen.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 26, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

REmake is a tough game if you're not used to tank controls and tight corridors, but that that's what a lot of the tension comes from, so, uh. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Did a no-continue run of Revelations on Infernal difficulty, got the infinite rocket launcher for the clear and an.. auto-loader custom part for not using continues? I'm not sure what that's for.

Now to relieve all the pent-up frustration from the bullet-sponge final boss with a casual difficulty rocket launcher run. :getin: