Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Not to worry, Mercenaries will no doubt be making its triumphant return in the next main-series game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Not to worry, Mercenaries will no doubt be making its triumphant return in the next main-series game.

Now I really want to load up RE5 mercs again but I think my save got zapped when my old PS3 bit the dust and I didn't have it backed up to the cloud server. I don't want to have to beat the main game again to get back to it. :smith:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

After playing a couple hours of raid mode I gotta say I really don't like how pointless melee feels. I got Melee Master up to level 6 on Wesker and the enemies just do not flinch at all so you're just asking to be grabbed when slashing away even keeping your distance. That skill should at least add a stun chance or something.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did 6 have a decent mercs mode? Honestly I played the entire game for maybe 2 hours and it really rubbed the wrong way so I was done with it. I've been kind of considering giving it a second chance lately. I just remember hating the feel of it a the time, but I think a few years ago I would have hated Revelations 2 also and I'm enjoying it well enough even though the campaign was on the mediocre side of things.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

RE6 mercs is fun. a little on the easy side though, doesn't take very long to unlock everythng.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

5 had such an awesome Mercs mode. Now I kind of want to go back and play that too.

Anyone remember how they charged like $10 extra for the pvp mode and it was basically the worst death match in any video game ever? God Capcom charges money for the stupidest poo poo.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

The basic melee slash is pretty useless, yeah, but the advanced stunned-enemy melee feels alright; especially when you can get another enemy or two into the range of it. Seems like using lesser enemies to do advanced melee moves on larger enemies would be a strategy, just from the little bit I've played.

This is a real fun game when it isn't being a slideshow. Turning down scanline frequency helped a bunch, but it still sometimes turns unplayable or barely playable. I'm waiting for some sort of patch before I play much more of it.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

Did 6 have a decent mercs mode? Honestly I played the entire game for maybe 2 hours and it really rubbed the wrong way so I was done with it. I've been kind of considering giving it a second chance lately. I just remember hating the feel of it a the time, but I think a few years ago I would have hated Revelations 2 also and I'm enjoying it well enough even though the campaign was on the mediocre side of things.

6 has my favourite combat system of any of the main series games, and Mercenaries mode is incredibly great fun in co-op, I think. So long as you get good at the mechanics (which the game does very little to explain) and have a friend to play with, I reckon you could have a great time in Mercenaries. I still go back to it now and then 'cause I think it's so fun. Can't really compare it to RE5's Mercenaries though, since I didn't play that mode very much.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

smenj posted:

6 has my favourite combat system of any of the main series games, and Mercenaries mode is incredibly great fun in co-op, I think. So long as you get good at the mechanics (which the game does very little to explain) and have a friend to play with, I reckon you could have a great time in Mercenaries. I still go back to it now and then 'cause I think it's so fun. Can't really compare it to RE5's Mercenaries though, since I didn't play that mode very much.

Wasn't the problem with 6s Mercs mode that they halved the number of enemies that came at you on any given run? 150 down from 300? And then only the PC version had the option to get back to the bigger enemy waves?

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

Wasn't the problem with 6s Mercs mode that they halved the number of enemies that came at you on any given run? 150 down from 300? And then only the PC version had the option to get back to the bigger enemy waves?

Ah, to be honest, I didn't even think of that. RE6's Mercs mode was the first one I played a whole bunch of, and I had the PC version (which has No Mercy mode, with 300 enemies), so that being a problem didn't even occur to me.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I got Revelations 2 yesterday and I'm enjoying it. I already beat Episode 1 and look forward to Episode 2 and beyond. I'm not a fan of the secondary character being the one to spot items, but just gotta play as them outside combat and it's fine. I've been playing raid mode today, up to level 12 on Claire. I'm having fun with it, but I feel like it wont last forever.

Is there any other major Resident Evil releases on the way? I played the poo poo out of 5, like 100% achievements within a week. I played 6 with a friend on professional just riffing on the game and I think that was the only way to enjoy it. I tried playing alone and *fart noise*.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Schroeder91 posted:

I got Revelations 2 yesterday and I'm enjoying it. I already beat Episode 1 and look forward to Episode 2 and beyond. I'm not a fan of the secondary character being the one to spot items, but just gotta play as them outside combat and it's fine. I've been playing raid mode today, up to level 12 on Claire. I'm having fun with it, but I feel like it wont last forever.

Is there any other major Resident Evil releases on the way? I played the poo poo out of 5, like 100% achievements within a week. I played 6 with a friend on professional just riffing on the game and I think that was the only way to enjoy it. I tried playing alone and *fart noise*.

Resident Evil Remake HD came out last month. Otherwise no, not really.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Resident Evil Remake HD came out last month. Otherwise no, not really.

You know, that brings up an interesting idea. I would play the poo poo out of a remaster version of RE1 where the combat was more like RE4-5.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I think that would be the easiest RE game in known history

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Enemies would have to be rebalanced to be even stronger. Or they'd have to throw more at you.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

DeathSandwich posted:

You know, that brings up an interesting idea. I would play the poo poo out of a remaster version of RE1 where the combat was more like RE4-5.

The closest you might get is the DLC pack in RE5 that lets starts you off in a similar mansion. Adding RE4/5 combat to the orginal would really just trivialize all the encounters, but as long as we're talking dream scenarios I'd like to see Jake's gameplay from RE6 turned into a new Final Fight game. RE6 combat system really was a joy to play once you figured out all the options it made available to you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've thought about that too and I think it would be awesome. it would only be overly easy if they didn't properly tweak the gameplay to make up for the lack of difficulty that was originally cause by bad controls.

So, as far as Raid mode goes. Is there any point in doing the daily mission with the requested character? It's appears to be the same thing but it doesn't give a reward if you use the character they are asking you to use :confused: Also, am I crazy or are machine pistols complete garbage?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

If they added biped sharks to the game that would be perfect.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DeathSandwich posted:

I almost threw up.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

NESguerilla posted:

So, as far as Raid mode goes. Is there any point in doing the daily mission with the requested character? It's appears to be the same thing but it doesn't give a reward if you use the character they are asking you to use :confused:

You still get a fair chunk of XP and a life crystal.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Just a heads up for those who don't want to be spoiled: artbook scans of various monsters/characters for Revelations 2 are out in the wild, and they do indeed contain big spoilers.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, apparently if you crack open the game files, Capcom didn't really stick placeholder data in there or anything, so there's a lot of the next three episodes sitting in what's already been released.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Have there been any workarounds to getting raid mode working for those that get a crash on deploying? I haven't had any issues with frame rate or anything else but raid mode is auto-crash on startup no matter what I do.

Capcom, how could you gently caress this up so badly? :(

Edit: Well poo poo, setting steam in offline mode seems to work for whatever reason. Will probably crash on exit now.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 27, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I didn't expect to see Raskaplanjes and Scagdeads in Raid Mode. What a nice surprise. :allears: I wonder if they will put any other returning enemies in future maps.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Did anyone notice on the first time through story mode that Clair was super ammo starved and Barry had a veritable ammunition cornucopia? I'm offloading pistol ammunition to the kid because all the rest of my inventory is full up and on Claire's side I don't think I had more than 10 bullets the entire time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

Did anyone notice on the first time through story mode that Clair was super ammo starved and Barry had a veritable ammunition cornucopia? I'm offloading pistol ammunition to the kid because all the rest of my inventory is full up and on Claire's side I don't think I had more than 10 bullets the entire time.

Claire is more ammo starved but has more non-ammo options. Moria means you don't have to use ammunition on any single enemy.

Edit:
Also, I haven't seen the artbook scans or anything but between the Red Queen in the Raid Mode and the mention of the zombies like like Uroborus, I'm assuming it's Alex(ia?) Wesker behind everything.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 27, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sivek posted:

Have there been any workarounds to getting raid mode working for those that get a crash on deploying? I haven't had any issues with frame rate or anything else but raid mode is auto-crash on startup no matter what I do.

Capcom, how could you gently caress this up so badly? :(

Edit: Well poo poo, setting steam in offline mode seems to work for whatever reason. Will probably crash on exit now.

It's something with the servers. It happens on PS4 too. it shouldn't crash if you go offline.

So, who the hell is Gina anyways? Is that the lady that dies 5 minutes into the campaign? If so, why?

Edit: Raid mode seems critically flawed this time around. Didn't the first RE Revs have random ammo drops? Literally the only challenge Raid mode seems to present is running out of ammo and having to quit because the game will just screw you and make it un-winnable. So far it seems like the only options is to either mow through enemies that pose zero threat, or take on higher level enemies which also pretty much don't pose a threat, but you run out of ammo half way through and just have to quit. Seems like loving terrible design.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 27, 2015

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, Gina's the lady who gets killed by an Afflicted early on. Her name's on the list Neil's holding during the introductory cinema, alongside Claire's, Moira's, Natalia's, and a bunch of people who have been confirmed to show up later (i.e. Pedro, who's one of the dudes in the teaser clip at the end of episode 1), so apparently whoever ordered the strike had a specific shopping list. Intrigue!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Serious hunks of lady killing muscle.

edit: CHRIS

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 27, 2015

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Most pleasant surprise in Raid so far has been bumping into the executioner from RE5, who I greeted like an old friend with a hail of bullets. Least pleasant was bumping into a Scagdead, who circular-saw-armed me repeatedly

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

hunk dot gif

god drat i wish this was all released at once with all the episodes their dumb anticipation strategy is working on me

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Edit: Raid mode seems critically flawed this time around. Didn't the first RE Revs have random ammo drops? Literally the only challenge Raid mode seems to present is running out of ammo and having to quit because the game will just screw you and make it un-winnable. So far it seems like the only options is to either mow through enemies that pose zero threat, or take on higher level enemies which also pretty much don't pose a threat, but you run out of ammo half way through and just have to quit. Seems like loving terrible design.

Rev1 had ammo boxes(which I forgot exactly how they worked) and crates that dropped random ammo and placed ammo. Always in the same places, but often more than just the standard three random-ammo locations per map that Rev2 seems to be following. What disappointing me is that enemy locations, types or even spawn patterns don't seem to be changing difficulty to difficulty like they did in Rev1 which made everything like new. Only thing that changes in Rev2 is that more enemies have the powerups and ones that already did get an extra one or two tacked on.

Rev2 raid definitely feels more formulaic than Rev1 was, with puffer fishes with insane armor guarding their rare drops, hidden encounters, changed up enemy placement between difficulties, text color other than yellow.
Rev2 is a big leap forward in the parts and character department no doubt and I love that part.

I hope future maps are less arena-y and more linear too.

Edit: To anyone on the PC playing without a pad: To open boxes easily feather the meter near the end so that the cursor dot is the smallest you can make it. If the dot changes to a red color it means that you are not in the correct area! If you are in the correct area, it will stay the same orange color up to the end. Now it is no longer educated guessing game.

Broose fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 27, 2015

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

A+ photobomb, Claire.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What are the little red numbers by the characters/on the mannequin? I'm guessing some sort of skill points, but I don't see a way to spend them.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

What are the little red numbers by the characters/on the mannequin? I'm guessing some sort of skill points, but I don't see a way to spend them.

They represent new unlocks that you haven't highlighted yet. Usually skill unlocks.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Raid mode in normal is pretty boring, it's much better once you unlock the hard tier.

Levelling each character separately seems like a dumb choice, having to play through the same boring early missions again and again with each new character is killing any urge to try out multiple characters.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Leyburn posted:

Raid mode in normal is pretty boring, it's much better once you unlock the hard tier.

Levelling each character separately seems like a dumb choice, having to play through the same boring early missions again and again with each new character is killing any urge to try out multiple characters.

You do get extra Completionist medals, to unlock the guy at 90. I just hit 50, and don't want to spoil myself looking online, but I want to know who that is...

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Butt Ghost posted:

Enemies would have to be rebalanced to be even stronger. Or they'd have to throw more at you.

Turns out that Keith was devoured by two dozen zombies, not just the one Barry mentioned in his report.

Unbearable
Apr 3, 2011

Leyburn posted:

It's pretty boring even on very hard tbh, because as said it's exactly the same as previous tiers except more mooks are burning or whatever. Plus it's obvious that no design was involved in any of the levels, they just had an intern plop down some spawn points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I never cared about merc/raid before but this one is perfect for me. It's so mindlessly fun, even just playing through the first few missions. I guess I'm a weirdo for that opinion but it's exactly what I was hoping for. Not too hard + the ability to grind skills is great too.