Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

site posted:

I don't have the game yet, so I don't know whether is from story progression or not but drat Claire looks like poo poo in this picture. Does this game take place before or after the cgi movie she's in( and yes i understand shed look different just from the CGI but you know what i mean).

It's 6 years after that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I still can't get over how silly Terrasave is for a name.

Also I want a Mercenaries style game where you basically run an anti-bioweapon group with experience points and money and recruitment and and and and

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Yup. The Chicago Typewriter you can buy as DLC has popped up in the raid store a few times.

Man, that's stupid as gently caress. :capcom:

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Smirking_Serpent posted:

It made Raid freeze up every time I try to launch it now. Jesus Christ this launch has been a shitshow.

The patch fixed the stuttering but MURDERED my fps in open areas. Also, using the zoom on a sniper rifle drops me to ~5 fps.

It's a shame that there's so many technical issues because both single player and raid mode are good. It's kinda boring that the enemy placements are the same across difficulties in raid, but you still get 8*6+1*6 (I assume?)+4 individual levels.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Sigh, I hate to ask another question but where in the upgrade screen in raid mode do I combine gun upgrades? I saw a tooltip saying that you can combine two of the same kind to level them up but I seem to be overlooking where I can do that on the upgrade bench.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Niggurath posted:

Sigh, I hate to ask another question but where in the upgrade screen in raid mode do I combine gun upgrades? I saw a tooltip saying that you can combine two of the same kind to level them up but I seem to be overlooking where I can do that on the upgrade bench.

It unlocks after Gauntlet 2.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Convex posted:

What the gently caress is up with the 'storage space' DLC, there's literally no purpose to it beyond just inconveniencing people until they cough up some cash :mad:

Also having an ingame store where you can purchase guns for real money feels really shady. I don't care about having DLC guns but at least sell them outside of the game so I can just ignore them.

So, do the generated Samurai Edges I've seen in the shop require that I pay for the SE dlc (I have already purchased it) before I can use ingame money to buy them like they did in the first game's ports?

I'm not liking that enemy spawns aren't different in the higher difficulties. It's not as bad as it sounds but it does seem like it would get stale really quickly.
I'm more concerned about the randomization of enemy types between playthroughs of individual levels because that flies right in the face of the original raid mode design. At least it lends well to the new enemy classes that drop bonus experience and/or gold.

Given the new character skills, changing 'no damage' to 'no herbs' was a really good idea and opened up the game to more interesting enemy designs. Skills that increase health aren't useless, and attacks that deal small amounts of damage but are hard to avoid aren't gamebreaking for completionist efforts.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm honestly surprised at this big blowback about lack of local co-op on the PC version. I mean clearly people want it but I couldn't imagine split screen being that fun on a computer monitor.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

RoanHorse posted:

So, do the generated Samurai Edges I've seen in the shop require that I pay for the SE dlc (I have already purchased it) before I can use ingame money to buy them like they did in the first game's ports?

I'm not liking that enemy spawns aren't different in the higher difficulties. It's not as bad as it sounds but it does seem like it would get stale really quickly.
I'm more concerned about the randomization of enemy types between playthroughs of individual levels because that flies right in the face of the original raid mode design. At least it lends well to the new enemy classes that drop bonus experience and/or gold.

Given the new character skills, changing 'no damage' to 'no herbs' was a really good idea and opened up the game to more interesting enemy designs. Skills that increase health aren't useless, and attacks that deal small amounts of damage but are hard to avoid aren't gamebreaking for completionist efforts.

You handle elites pretty much the same way except for shield, which is at least 10 times more bullshit than any other special power and really shouldn't be able to randomly spawn.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

You don't need to buy the DLC guns to use the randomly rolled version from the ingame store.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm honestly surprised at this big blowback about lack of local co-op on the PC version. I mean clearly people want it but I couldn't imagine split screen being that fun on a computer monitor.

I think it's more the principle than anything. I'm personally not bothered by it, but there's something really loving skeevy at removing the feature last minute and only including a line in the store description after release.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Seedge posted:

You don't need to buy the DLC guns to use the randomly rolled version from the ingame store.

Yeah, I was gonna say. I've bought a Chicago Typewriter and a Samurai Edge in the game store without having any DLC or anything.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say. I've bought a Chicago Typewriter and a Samurai Edge in the game store without having any DLC or anything.

Huh, that's decent enough then. Guess I misinterpreted how that part works.

The £14 of storage space DLC still rubs me the wrong way though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

I think it's more the principle than anything. I'm personally not bothered by it, but there's something really loving skeevy at removing the feature last minute and only including a line in the store description after release.

Oh, I thought it was always off the table and people were just mad about it. That's more understandable.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Do we have any idea how Raid coop is going to work? Say I have the full version and my friend has only one episode, will he be able to play with me - at least the first three gauntlets?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh, I thought it was always off the table and people were just mad about it. That's more understandable.

It's partially already coded into the game, just disabled and not properly implemented in the PC port for seemingly no real reason.

also i don't get co-op not being fun on a monitor, you seen modern monitors? They're fuckin big.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Decided to purchase HUNK (for I am a terrible consumer of DLC) and my goodness, it's basically I Am A Mercenary Mode now. Traveling across the world putting down threats and getting paid for it, then spending all my money on silly gun mods and stealth upgrades. :allears:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

When will we get a Hunk game? One that isn't Operation Raccoon City? I want to go around the world, getting paid the kick zombies with my knife boots.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It is a bit weird how they haven't tried to make a full-on Umbrella game with their A Teams, giving how fetishistic HUNK etc actually are. Scary men and women in black leather, masks and guns? Come the hell on let us be the bad guy Capcom. :saddowns:

Also, -recoil mods for assault rifles are amazing. Even a 20% one seems to kill any kickback on the weapon.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Capcom no doubt took the abysmal critical reception of Operation Raccoon City to be due to the game's premise and will never trot it out again

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Butt Ghost posted:

When will we get a Hunk game? One that isn't Operation Raccoon City? I want to go around the world, getting paid the kick zombies with my knife boots.

ORC is what happens when you try to make a hunk game

it's like trying to make a boba fett centered thing, it ain't right

you must relegate him to bonus content or side things to properly extract the magic from him

also: did y'all know that hunk's RE4 theme is actually from PN03? i totally didn't until i was searching for it to jam to while playing raid mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1TyOWUCqFI
i don't know if it makes it better or worse that his theme is stolen from a really weirdo shooter

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

It is a bit weird how they haven't tried to make a full-on Umbrella game with their A Teams, giving how fetishistic HUNK etc actually are. Scary men and women in black leather, masks and guns? Come the hell on let us be the bad guy Capcom. :saddowns:
That's why ORC tried to do. Heavy emphasis on "tried", because that concept failed miserably.

And as a result, the Neckbreaker Ballet World Tour will probably forever remain a Mercs/Raid Mode exclusive. :smith:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

ORC is hilarious because HUNK has nothing but disdain for his cosplaying underlings and tells them to gently caress off at the first sign of trouble because they'll just get themselves killed.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Holy poo poo! Evade cancel is the instant reload bug from the first game!

For context, dodging in Rev 1 was contextual and required a projectile or attack to be within a certain proximity before it could be activated. It cancelled any other animation you were in and instantly reloaded your weapon you were already doing so.

In Rev 2, manually dodging only interrupts reloads, but the Evade Cancel skill makes it so if you dodge under the appropriate conditions you completely reload magazine weapons.
I haven't gotten it to work with shotguns or magnums yet, so it might be as powerful as it was in Rev 1. It might work with Drakes because they reload all shells simultaneously (if it works like the last game, anyway).

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

to be fair, HUNK is kind of an rear end in a top hat in general

see the only good part about his inclusion in revelations 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NUGBSS2kWA&t=10s

also alongside the instant reload with evade cancel there's also the usual shooter basic 'switch guns/dodge on number change' thing for weapons, which makes reload speed not that much of an issue except for shotguns

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
You can just swap weapons and get the same fast reload.

e: beaten :(. Yeah, only shotguns and magnum actually needs +reload at the moment.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Despite playing every RE game except for ORC, this is my first time trying out Raid mode. I'm really enjoying it, though I wish enemies (or at least bosses/powered-up enemies) had a random chance to drop ammo.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Renoistic posted:

I've already spent 9 hours on the game (2 play-throughs + raid) so I'm pretty happy with the game, warts and all.

Does anything change on the second play-through / can you retain skills?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Unbearable posted:

It's pretty boring even on very hard tbh, because as said it's exactly the same as previous tiers except more mooks are burning or whatever. Plus it's obvious that no design was involved in any of the levels, they just had an intern plop down some spawn points.

Yeah It's fun for to screw around on, but it quickly becomes apparent very little effort was put into it. It's a shame because RE challenge modes are usually great. There is no surprises or challenges to be had, just mindless grinding. This is no where near the quality of merc or even the raid mode in the first game. Rev 2 seems really half assed compared to the first in general so far.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Fereydun posted:

also alongside the instant reload with evade cancel there's also the usual shooter basic 'switch guns/dodge on number change' thing for weapons, which makes reload speed not that much of an issue except for shotguns
Well poo poo. There goes the most interesting passive skill.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Agrias120 posted:

Despite playing every RE game except for ORC, this is my first time trying out Raid mode. I'm really enjoying it, though I wish enemies (or at least bosses/powered-up enemies) had a random chance to drop ammo.

That's actually because it's the property of a specific skill, Scavenger. I think Hunk and Moira can learn it.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

RoanHorse posted:

It's still really cool. You can cancel alot of stuff into itself if you're fast enough. You can get multiple melee attacks off or multiple ground stomps on the same opponent.

You can also cancel some stuff that really doesn't make sense. Some stuns and knockdowns you can evade out of.

e: My ideal passive setup right now would be 2-3x weapon mastery, +max health, +regen, dodge cancel. If 2x weapons, get the better dodge skill or scavenger as the last one.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 28, 2015

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

RoanHorse posted:

It's still useful for breaking out of the animations for melee after you've already dealt the damage, I guess.
edit: this is what I get for rewriting my post.

Don't know if it is a dodge cancel thing or not, but if you are knocked down you can get up almost instantly with a special animation if you dodge sometime in it. Don't know if you have to do it as you hit the ground or if it matters what direction you dodge in relation to the way you are thrown.

Broose fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 28, 2015

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

scavenger sucks so bad though you get so little ammo from it

like you get 6 assault rifle rounds on a random drop kill and the maxed out chance is like what 40% at maxed out level?

it's like the exact same as that dang weapon mod in rev. 1 raid mode that did the same thing. it was useless even on the dang ghost ship map! it was way better to have the mods that generated ammo instead of it

i invested so many points into scavenger as moira and that was a mistake
with hunk i'm just investing everything into assault rifle mastery, which somehow turned out to be the best choice

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 28, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you equip nothing but a certain type of weapon does that mean you'll get just that specific ammo in the boxes?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Yes.

And scavenger is great. The average map is ~40 enemies. At 40%, that's ~16 magnum rounds back, equal to 2.5 extra pickups.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'm streaming raid mode for a bit.
http://www.twitch.tv/deathsandwichsa

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

kinda wish there were more interesting skills and traits. Like, I bought the wesker dlc but all he really has different is magnum mastery and evasion, really. I expected him to have crazy poo poo but there isn't much.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Fereydun posted:

to be fair, HUNK is kind of an rear end in a top hat in general

see the only good part about his inclusion in revelations 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NUGBSS2kWA&t=10s
Well that's just reminding me of how much better raid mode was in Rev1.

Also yeah, a few people have already said it but that last patch on PC seems to have made my game slow down even more than it already had.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

If it weren't for that patch I'd have completed the last gauntlet of episode one.

Does anyone know if you get the toolbox upgrade when you get all the emblems available so far (barring throwback maps)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
edit: Maybe I should read properly.

No, maybe when Episode 2 is out one of the Normal gauntlet levels will give the upgrade.

Also Sherry

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 28, 2015