Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Alucard Nacirema posted:

low brow horror game fans.

Whoa whoa whoa man. Low blow.

For the record, I think RE7 looks cool as heck. I'm just perplexed at how it could possibly fit into the series at this point.

Why not just call it Silent Evils or Resident Hills and start fresh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Alucard Nacirema posted:

You say that yet Mortal Kombat (2011) and the recent Doom were tremendous success stories because they went back to basics and just gave the OG fans what they have been dying for with a few modern sprinkles and gameplay changes thrown in to shake things up. RE could have done the same thing.

Dude, trust me on this. You do not know what you're talking about. You think you do, but you really don't. I'm not going to link my CV here, but I do this kind of thing for a living.

One of the big lessons of video game marketing is that the vocal, "OG fans" are a big part of how you market a game, because they form the nucleus of your community. They're worth reaching out to, and a lot of companies will actively recruit the most visible members of their fan communities as managers or even producers. For example, Peter "ComboFiend" Rosas went from a high-end tournament player to a major community manager for Street Fighter V.

However, at any given time, your vocal, "OG fans" are not your target market, because especially in a triple-A space, there aren't enough of them. You achieve sales success by pulling in the silent majority, which is where marketing comes in. It certainly doesn't hurt you to throw in a few things to keep those OG fans engaged, such as how Doom 4 is a love letter to the comic book and to the Brutal Doom fan mod, but your sales will come from the people you never have occasion to speak to.

It's why, for example, most people on dedicated games forums like this one have anywhere from a casual dislike to a seething disregard for Resident Evil 5, but the game has moved something like eight million copies. If you went off the general fan reaction, everyone responsible for RE5 should be working at Burger King right now, but no; it's an overwhelming success story.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I just don't want RE7 to be, as a couple of others have said, a Spooky Walking Simulator (which given some of what people have said about the demo, it sounds like it is.) The market is quickly becoming saturated with games like that, and I like Resident Evil because it lets me shoot monsters.

And Alucard, you are making me feel slightly guilty for waiting to get DOOM until the steam summer sale.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
unless 7 is a massive failure to the extent that it kills the franchise permanently, who cares if they experiment a little? if they make a good game i will buy and play it, though not preorder it after how poorly rev2 ran at first. it is good to try new things, both for individuals and game developers.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Wanderer posted:

Dude, trust me on this. You do not know what you're talking about. You think you do, but you really don't. I'm not going to link my CV here, but I do this kind of thing for a living.

One of the big lessons of video game marketing is that the vocal, "OG fans" are a big part of how you market a game, because they form the nucleus of your community. They're worth reaching out to, and a lot of companies will actively recruit the most visible members of their fan communities as managers or even producers. For example, Peter "ComboFiend" Rosas went from a high-end tournament player to a major community manager for Street Fighter V.

However, at any given time, your vocal, "OG fans" are not your target market, because especially in a triple-A space, there aren't enough of them. You achieve sales success by pulling in the silent majority, which is where marketing comes in. It certainly doesn't hurt you to throw in a few things to keep those OG fans engaged, such as how Doom 4 is a love letter to the comic book and to the Brutal Doom fan mod, but your sales will come from the people you never have occasion to speak to.

It's why, for example, most people on dedicated games forums like this one have anywhere from a casual dislike to a seething disregard for Resident Evil 5, but the game has moved something like eight million copies. If you went off the general fan reaction, everyone responsible for RE5 should be working at Burger King right now, but no; it's an overwhelming success story.

RE 5 moved copies because it was the sequel to RE 4, it was in development for a long time creating increased anticipation, the return of Chris Redfield (and possible conclusion of the story started in RE 1), and the first HD Resident Evil. Plain and Simple.

It didn't hurt that it was a co-op shooter coming hot off the heels of Gears of War either.

Theres a reason sales dropped with RE 6 (NEWS FLASH: Its because RE 5 wasn't that good)

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Mogomra posted:

For the record, I think RE7 looks cool as heck. I'm just perplexed at how it could possibly fit into the series at this point.

Why not just call it Silent Evils or Resident Hills and start fresh?

You don't get to start development on a third-party triple-A title right now unless it's a franchise entry, especially in Japan.

The RE franchise is a lot more elastic than people give it credit for being, and right now, we don't know anything. The general thrust of it right now seems to be that a bunch of dudes who run a "ghost hunting" TV show explore a theoretically haunted house and get a lot more than they bargained for. I could name a half-dozen ways for that to happen in the RE universe right off the top of my head without making particularly deep lore cuts or inventing new kinds of mutations/monsters out of thin air.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I just hope they don't go full blown Amnesia/Outlast and make it "run and hide because you can't fight," not letting us blast monsters would be going too far imo

As people have pointed out there is an "aim assist" option in the menu, so there's bound to be some kind of shooting combat in the full game. That, and the fact that there is an inventory system with limited space makes me pretty hopeful this won't deviate too far from Resident Evil.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Alucard Nacirema posted:

RE 5 moved copies because it was the sequel to RE 4, it was in development for a long time creating increased anticipation, the return of Chris Redfield (and possible conclusion of the story started in RE 1), and the first HD Resident Evil. Plain and Simple.

It didn't hurt that it was a co-op shooter coming hot off the heels of Gears of War either.

Theres a reason sales dropped with RE 6 (NEWS FLASH: Its because RE 5 wasn't that good)

so re5 did well because you like re4 and re6 was a failure because you didn't like re5. you are retarded.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Are there any guides to "things you might have missed" in the RE7 demo?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Wanderer posted:

The RE franchise is a lot more elastic than people give it credit for being, and right now, we don't know anything. The general thrust of it right now seems to be that a bunch of dudes who run a "ghost hunting" TV show explore a theoretically haunted house and get a lot more than they bargained for. I could name a half-dozen ways for that to happen in the RE universe right off the top of my head without making particularly deep lore cuts or inventing new kinds of mutations/monsters out of thin air.

In a world where there are walking Bio WMDs and literal zombie bombs, why the hell would you ever be part of Ghost Hunters on the sci-fi channel? Maybe it's actually RE -1? Because 0 is already taken.

I'm OK with any of the possibilities. I'm also totally fine with this being like Halloween 3 and not having anything at all to do with the rest of the series story-wise.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
drat, what a bummer that RE5 isn't on sale on Steam, I want to buy a copy for my friend.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Like I said, you don't know what you're talking about. You're so invested in disliking the game that you're making up excuses out of whole cloth for why it sold as well as it did.

There are all sorts of games I don't like that sell very well. I have no idea why anybody would want to play Rock Band, for example (because I have the sense of rhythm of a dead dog). Instead of trying to construct a timeline where exterior events all conspired to give the game an unearned success, however, I simply accept that other people like different things than I do and move on.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Serious Frolicking posted:

so re5 did well because you like re4 and re6 was a failure because you didn't like re5. you are retarded.

what? I loving hate RE 4. It destroyed the franchise.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

apparently you can spot a vehicle section in the trailer for a split second in one of the really jumbled bits

im gonna laugh so hard if re7 somehow takes the worst of all worlds once again

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i liked all most of the old, "new" and spinoff REs, and i also liked the demo for RE7

i think it will be fun and good

e: sorry no i did not like code veronica or outbreak

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Alucard Nacirema posted:

you heard it here folks

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Mogomra posted:

In a world where there are walking Bio WMDs and literal zombie bombs, why the hell would you ever be part of Ghost Hunters on the sci-fi channel? Maybe it's actually RE -1? Because 0 is already taken.

I'm OK with any of the possibilities. I'm also totally fine with this being like Halloween 3 and not having anything at all to do with the rest of the series story-wise.

One of the ongoing threads in the more recent games is that there's a lot of confusion surrounding the whole bioweapons/T-Virus thing, because there's an actual Illuminati-style circle of high-powered conspiracists who regard it as their job to keep the world relatively stable. It was actually a plot point in the first Revelations that nobody in a position of power took the threat of bioweapons seriously until Morgan Lansdale deliberately manufactured a major crisis in 2004, and there hasn't been a major outbreak in American flyover country for 12 years.

Also, the band of schmucks in the demo don't look like they have any real funding or support, since their "crew" is one dude with what might be a super old camera. They could be fringe cases or something, who're so invested in the idea of discovering paranormal activity that they drive right past all the warning signs, the same way characters in a horror movie ignore the crazy old man who tells them about the killer in the woods.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
oh wow, apparently the demo for RE7 isn't even in the full game?

That's cool. This demo is just meant to be a tonal showcase of what's to come, not actually a segment from the full game. Then if you keep watching a developer literally says "The pillars of Resident Evil: horror/survival, exploration, resource management, puzzles, and combat. Those are all in this game."

I think RE7 is gonna be a good Resident Evil. Maybe?

Bubba Smith fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 14, 2016

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

General Morden posted:

you heard it here folks

Just to be clear I hate it but do concede that a lot of people love it and hold it up as a legendary game.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
On a different note, Do I need to play Revelations 1 to understand the story in Revelations 2 or are they totally unrelated?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Wasn't RE6 Capcom's second best selling game of all time? If not being the literal best means people hated it, then everyone must despise Capcom titles.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Alucard Nacirema posted:

On a different note, Do I need to play Revelations 1 to understand the story in Revelations 2 or are they totally unrelated?

There's a pretty big plot beat in RE:R2's Episode 3 that goes straight off of the first Revelations (it has to do with why a character did a thing), but that's really about it.

Momomo posted:

Wasn't RE6 Capcom's second best selling game of all time? If not being the literal best means people hated it, then everyone must despise Capcom titles.

I actually just looked it up. The top three are RE5, SF2, and RE6, in that order. Monster Hunter 3 is #6, I think.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Wanderer posted:

One of the ongoing threads in the more recent games is that there's a lot of confusion surrounding the whole bioweapons/T-Virus thing, because there's an actual Illuminati-style circle of high-powered conspiracists who regard it as their job to keep the world relatively stable. It was actually a plot point in the first Revelations that nobody in a position of power took the threat of bioweapons seriously until Morgan Lansdale deliberately manufactured a major crisis in 2004, and there hasn't been a major outbreak in American flyover country for 12 years.

Also, the band of schmucks in the demo don't look like they have any real funding or support, since their "crew" is one dude with what might be a super old camera. They could be fringe cases or something, who're so invested in the idea of discovering paranormal activity that they drive right past all the warning signs, the same way characters in a horror movie ignore the crazy old man who tells them about the killer in the woods.

You're right about all of that, I was just trying to make a humor-joke with ghost hunters and crap. Of course one of the main things about horror plots in general is that characters do things that normal sane people would never do in these situations.

Rafza posted:

e: sorry no i did not like code veronica or outbreak

:stonk: w-what?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's almost like it's a teaser and people shouldn't judge a game over it?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Serious Frolicking posted:

I think he's trying to say that RE5 did well because most people bought it due to how much they enjoyed 4, the same thing happened with Capcom's Battle Network franchise, 3 was considered the absolute best and sold the most, tons of people bought 4 only to get the worst game in the franchise, a game so bad it sent the BN franchise into a death spiral which is never recovered from, the same poo poo also happened with Devil May Cry, despite DMC3 considered the best among fans it actually sold the least due to how god awful DMC2 was.

Capcom is a very inconsistent developer so its not surprise this happens to them a lot.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Len posted:

The whole thing smells a lot like P.T. which is unexpected, but I'll take it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I like video games and Resident Evil so I am excited to see what RE7 will be in seven months and if it's bad then ok I guess I'll just play other RE games more than it. Just give me my PSVR so I can try this on that.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Alteisen posted:

I think he's trying to say that RE5 did well because most people bought it due to how much they enjoyed 4,

It's an assertion that's impossible to prove, and even if we had the data, there's also the fact that a good chunk of RE5's later sales came from its digital release. It moved something like an additional 1.2 million copies in the years after it came out, and has a fairly large if ridiculous mod community.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Alteisen posted:

I think he's trying to say that RE5 did well because most people bought it due to how much they enjoyed 4, the same thing happened with Capcom's Battle Network franchise, 3 was considered the absolute best and sold the most, tons of people bought 4 only to get the worst game in the franchise, a game so bad it sent the BN franchise into a death spiral which is never recovered from, the same poo poo also happened with Devil May Cry, despite DMC3 considered the best among fans it actually sold the least due to how god awful DMC2 was.

Capcom is a very inconsistent developer so its not surprise this happens to them a lot.

Except RE 6 did reasonably well too. There is much more to it than simply how popular and we'll liked the previous game was.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

outbreak multiplayer barely worked and the game was unfun as a whole

CV i admit i did not finish playing through but this was years ago, i might need to revisit it. i had a real problem with it for some reason that really escapes me at the moment. something to do with the knife i think

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Alteisen posted:

when you add se, dmc3 thankfully sells more than 2 by a large margin iirc

Len posted:

too late ive already decided it's rear end and therefore will only purchase three copies instead of six

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fereydun posted:

when you add se, dmc3 thankfully sells more than 2 by a large margin iirc

too late ive already decided it's rear end and therefore will only purchase three copies instead of six

Oh yeah? Well I've decided it's rear end so I cancelled my super special awesome preorder edition and just preordered the regular edition.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I have decided my RE7 sleeve tattoo will now only go down to above the elbow instead of covering my right pectoral muscle and forearm

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Rafza posted:

outbreak multiplayer barely worked and the game was unfun as a whole

CV i admit i did not finish playing through but this was years ago, i might need to revisit it. i had a real problem with it for some reason that really escapes me at the moment. something to do with the knife i think

I had the exact opposite experience with Outbreak. I regret not having the $$$ at the time to buy File #2. I still haven't played that one.

CV can get to be a pain in the dick though. I was stuck with a save file before a tyrant fight with like zero ammo for the longest time.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Then what the hell is the point of some of these items that you can find in the demo, like the celluloid finger and the axe?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It's what game developers call a "vertical slice." It's meant to signify the kind of game you're making, and may not technically be a part of it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Wow, the Steam database title for this is RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard / BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil

That's something.

Fatcat214
Feb 19, 2015

Party Poogie
The way everything controls and how deliberate the melee "combat" feels in the teaser, i'm hoping for a Condemned style Resident evil, but with less hobos and more zombies.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
After playing that demo I can safely say I'll be passing on RE7 if that's what the main feel of the game will be. I've liked every numbered game and both Revs were a blast so this turn just isn't for me at all. Though I also just hate the scary walking simulator genre as a whole as I find it insanely boring to play. I'll just watch somebody LP it or get it on sale months after release for super cheap.

At least there's REmake 2 to look forward to still for normal RE antics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Alucard Nacirema posted:

i'm gonna start my yearly playthrough now just to spite you