Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think it would work better in the RE7 demo if you didn't have to discover each hint and each murder site separately. I think instead discovering a murder site should also give you the hint to finding the next one, instead of this bullshit about walking to the pointless corridor in the attic or hitting a specific painting in a specific way with the axe or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Even stuff like the fuse. it's just not there after watching the tape for no discernible reason.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There's no diegetic reason for the fuse to vanish, but I think the logic is that its a reward for players whose first playthrough likely resulted in the backdoor trap ending but didn't give up and played again to see if there was another way to get out of the house. Curious players will probably wonder what happens if they pull the fireplace chain without watching the VHS tape, and lo and behold they find a new item that leads to being able to open the rest of the house.

I've made plenty of criticisms of the demo in this thread but I honestly don't think its that huge of a leap.

EDIT: Like it's certainly more intuitive than, say, finding Brad Vickers in RE2.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 2, 2017

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

veni veni veni posted:

Even stuff like the fuse. it's just not there after watching the tape for no discernible reason.
Well obviously the main character got so absorbed with watching the TV that someone could go and pick up the fuse without him realizing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Haha, I was actually going to say it would bug me less if there was a door slamming noise or something during the video, implying that Baker grabbed it like "I don't want him to go upstairs"

On that note, the way the VHS tape is handled doesn't make any sense either but I kind of liked it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Something like that might have sold it better.

I almost wonder if the "I WILL DASH YOU AGAINST THE STONES" note being mysteriously left in front of us is supposed to imply something like that, but I dunno.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Raxivace posted:

It doesn't quite say he was on LSD, just that it was found on him.

It could just as easily be the cops planting it on him to dismiss him, because they're under the payroll of Umbrella or the Bakers or whatever. The cops not believing the guy's story about monsters doesn't seem to fly too considering all the crazy BOW public incidents that have happened since the time RE6 ended.

Oh, yeah. I completely misremembered how it was worded. I'm still inclined to believe the LSD is how they explain the ghosts and crazy puzzle, but who knows with it being Resident Evil.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
RE: The RE Directors Cut soundtrack. Didn't that composer come out a while ago saying that most of his work had been ghost written for him?

I think the DC soundtrack is probably one of the few (if any) things that he wrote himself.

Super reliable source: http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Mamoru_Samuragouchi

Mr. Glum
Jul 28, 2008

Mogomra posted:

RE: The RE Directors Cut soundtrack. Didn't that composer come out a while ago saying that most of his work had been ghost written for him?

I think the DC soundtrack is probably one of the few (if any) things that he wrote himself.

Super reliable source: http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Mamoru_Samuragouchi

https://newrepublic.com/article/121185/japans-deaf-composer-wasnt-what-he-seemed
That's the full story of the composer's fraud if anyone is interested.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I just downloaded the beginning hour demo, got my first ending, restarted, then died to some... thing in a basement. Can I get some tips as to how I should proceed next? I keep hearing that there's so much obscure stuff, I'd like to actually make some progress.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

bman in 2288 posted:

I just downloaded the beginning hour demo, got my first ending, restarted, then died to some... thing in a basement. Can I get some tips as to how I should proceed next? I keep hearing that there's so much obscure stuff, I'd like to actually make some progress.

Congratulations, you've plumbed all the proper content in the demo other than the dumb puzzle. You have found everything you can figure out without a guide. Escape the goo man, then go back in to get the key to the upstairs window and escape. Then look up how to do the finger puzzle.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Congratulations, you've plumbed all the proper content in the demo other than the dumb puzzle. You have found everything you can figure out without a guide. Escape the goo man, then go back in to get the key to the upstairs window and escape. Then look up how to do the finger puzzle.

How? I tried the door I came in through, but it was stuck or something.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

bman in 2288 posted:

How? I tried the door I came in through, but it was stuck or something.

if you mash out the QTE you can unblock it, baker dude blocked it after you entered

Electromax
May 6, 2007
So if I have it right...

- Beginning Hour is not a sequence from the main game, but instead is a prequel.
- Beginning Hour features two narratives:
--- The player navigating the house in 'realtime' and, in the true ending, escaping the house but no one believes their story
--- a VHS tape the player can view showing a trio of filmmakers exploring the house previously, ending with one of them being killed
- Kitchen is a sister experience to the Beginning Hour VHS tape and occurs afterward. The person in the kitchen chair is the controllable cameraman from the tape, and the man on the floor is the host. Both are killed. Kitchen was made as a sort of proof-of-concept for going all-in on VR in the full game.
- the main game features a protagonist named Ethan who does not appear/get mentioned in either of the demos.
- the antagonists are partially shown in them, however - Jack in the BH demo (several endings, the basement), and a woman in the Kitchen. We know from trailers that Jack is the patriarch, Marguerite the matriarch, an elderly woman in a wheelchair is also there, and the son Lucas who is mentioned in newspaper clippings.
- at some expo a third Lantern demo was shown featuring another playable character, Mia, hiding from Marguerite. Apparently Mia is the missing wife of Ethan. Some speculation that (possible full game spoiler here?) Mia is actually the mutated woman in the Kitchen demo and may change appearances.

I will say I like that they're playing it close to the chest, and it's also cool how they got people to come back to the demo a couple times with updates. Getting really excited for this game actually.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RE7 to have "scaling difficulty" that "dynamically adjusts according to player performance".

They mention the game becoming easier if you keep dying to the same spot, which is disappointing to hear if that's all it is. I wonder if it will do what RE4 did and get harder if you start doing really well at the game.

Another interesting quote that I'm not quite sure how to interpret (Emphasis mine): "We’re trying to smooth the process of getting back into the game after dying, rather than limit any of the possibility of dying, because making the game too easy would also detract from the horror experience. Survival horror has to have a certain volume of player deaths to occur in order for the horror to be effective; you’re scared of the idea that your character died, not of the mechanic of dying".

Not really sure if they're saying the "mechanic of dying" is something they're emphasizing or de-emphasizing here.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 5, 2017

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Dying easily gets frustrating instead of scary if it keeps happening. Alien isolation suffered from that problem.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Could also be related to like the penalty of death in game play terms. So maybe they want you to be scared of your character dying because it's your character dying, not because it means you have to redo a ton of poo poo or lose items or whatever.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maybe they are working hard on making the death scenes scary?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Raxivace posted:

RE7 to have "scaling difficulty" that "dynamically adjusts according to player performance".

They mention the game becoming easier if you keep dying to the same spot, which is disappointing to hear if that's all it is. I wonder if it will do what RE4 did and get harder if you start doing really well at the game.

Another interesting quote that I'm not quite sure how to interpret (Emphasis mine): "We’re trying to smooth the process of getting back into the game after dying, rather than limit any of the possibility of dying, because making the game too easy would also detract from the horror experience. Survival horror has to have a certain volume of player deaths to occur in order for the horror to be effective; you’re scared of the idea that your character died, not of the mechanic of dying".

Not really sure if they're saying the "mechanic of dying" is something they're emphasizing or de-emphasizing here.

I see they are sort of keeping the tradition alive since at least RE5. I don't know if RE4 had the thing like RE5 and RE6 where there were in fact 10 difficulties. 1-3 Amateur, 4-6 Normal, 7-9 Veteran, 10 Professional, 15 No Hope. You would take more damage on a hit if you hadn't been hit for a while and if you were constantly being hit the game would ease off a bit, whereas on the highest difficulties you would suffer every single time.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Eh, I dunno. I like the idea of dynamic difficulty in theory, but it can be very frustrating when you WANT to be challenged and the game decides to take pity and back off. I hate feeling like I won just by ramming my head into a wall long enough.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 5, 2017

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Lunethex posted:

I see they are sort of keeping the tradition alive since at least RE5. I don't know if RE4 had the thing like RE5 and RE6 where there were in fact 10 difficulties. 1-3 Amateur, 4-6 Normal, 7-9 Veteran, 10 Professional, 15 No Hope. You would take more damage on a hit if you hadn't been hit for a while and if you were constantly being hit the game would ease off a bit, whereas on the highest difficulties you would suffer every single time.

RE4 had what could be considered the prototype version of the difficulties in RE5. It just wasn't as pronounced.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Backhand posted:

Eh, I dunno. I like the idea of dynamic difficulty in theory, but it can be very frustrating when you WANT to be challenged and the game decides to take pity and back off. I hate feeling like I won just by ramming my head into a wall long enough.

It's a lose/lose situation when it comes to difficulty though.

If you don't adjust it you risk a player getting upset and frustrated and stop playing your game. If you do adjust it secretly then you risk players getting upset they're being helped. If you make it blatant and optional ("ACTIVATE EASY MODE") players feel like they're being insulted when it pops up. If you allow players to choose a difficulty people will not want to pick Easy because it makes them feel bad. Obviously it doesn't apply to each and every person but that's the issue. Every choice you make it going to tick someone off and you just have to guess which is the best for your particular game.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It's fine because I'm not playing Dark Souls and not every game needs to be Dark Souls.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I always thought the way 4-6 did difficulty was pretty good, actually. Like Lunethex mentioned, on your first run-through of the lower difficulties there's adaptive difficulty and it's whatever and then if you want a real challenge you play on Professional (or No Hope, in 6) where there's no adaptive difficulty and things are permanently stuck on 'gently caress you,' so everyone's happy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The last of us did survival horror difficulty the best I've ever seen on the hardest difficulties.

You constantly feel like the game is like "gently caress you! Guess what you can't beat this" but you always scrape by.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Resi 4 did the dynamic difficulty best by removing/adding enemies based on how you were doing, the most famous example being the two crossbowmen in the big room with the whole bunch of cultist dudes.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

So I just noticed that all the Resident Evils on PS4 are on sale and that the sale ends here in the UK tonight. I played and loved RE4, but have little experience of 5 and none of 6 -- is it worth jumping on the triple pack of RE4-6 on PS4 for £20? Are they good ports/worth playing if I loved 4?

The embarrassing admission here is that I already own all three on PC, but found that Resi lives on console for me and barely touched them. In fact I gave up on Revelations on PC entirely and played through it on my 3DS instead and enjoyed it much more, weirdly.

I'm definitely buying RE0 and Revelations 2, since I've never played either and don't already own those, so I won't be hurting for Resident Evil fun either way. I'm just on a Resi bender right now, having just finished Revelations and RE1 HD, and kind of want to finish all the mainline games before jumping into RE7.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Only buy 5 and 6 if you have someone to co-op with imo, they're pretty miserable played on your own.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I won't comment on 6 since it always gets me into arguments itt, but RE5 was really disappointing on my recent replay of it. It's really not a great game.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
RE5 is pretty much a copy of 4 with worse pacing and enemy encounters, as well as co-op thrown on top. The core mechanics are good enough to carry the game though. My biggest issue (Aside from the partner AI if you're playing solo.) is the balancing. The game is designed around quick coop sessions, join a chapter here, join a chapter there, you can potentially start a new game with a partner already carrying a full weapon loadout, etc., so I feel like a lot of early levels are designed around carrying equipment and weapons that you wouldn't have on a first-playthrough, or as a more cynical me would say, the game wasn't really balanced at all.

Co-op *is* really fun though, and the melee is better than 4.

RE6 is actually a fun game, but also very flawed and unpolished and it requires some work to really enjoy. There's basically no tutorial and the game isn't good at naturally teaching you it's new mechanics throughout the campaign either. Like, the beginning of Leon's chapter 2 is a huge skill check on whether you learned how to counter enemy attacks, without the game ever even hinting that you could do that. And you can still force your way through that part without counter, it's just the opposite of fun.

There's also some first time player bullshit. Enemy surprise attacks that you can't possibly evade unless you knew beforehand that they were coming up, ambulances that come crashing at you out of nowhere while you have no camera control, scripted scenes that make it look like you're supposed to shoot the big monster, but you can't actually damage it and all you gotta do is wait, mini-cutscenes that show you a lever or whatnot, while enemies can still gang up on you, etc.

It makes for a rough first playthrough, but the mechanics are a lot of fun, so it's a lot better on repeat playthroughs.

Also, unless you're playing with someone who knows what he's doing, RE6 is actually more fun solo, imo. It helps that the AI in this one has unlimited ammo and health.

As for the ports themselves...RE6 is flawless, RE5 has some minor framerate and physics issues.

John Luebke fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 5, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I almost bought RE4 on sale last week and after playing 5 and 6 and watching some clips of it I decided to hold off. Seems like a lot of my memories of RE are better left as memories. Weirdly REmake has held up the best on recent playthroughs for me, despite the controls that feel insane now.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
RE4 is in an entirely different league from all the other action RE's. The controls are fine too, the combat and enemies were designed around these controls so it's not like you have any real disadvantage, there's just a slight learning curve.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

John Luebke posted:

RE5 is pretty much a copy of 4 with worse pacing and enemy encounters, as well as co-op thrown on top. The core mechanics are good enough to carry the game though. My biggest issue (Aside from the partner AI if you're playing solo.) is the balancing. The game is designed around quick coop sessions, join a chapter here, join a chapter there, you can potentially start a new game with a partner already carrying a full weapon loadout, etc., so I feel like a lot of early levels are designed around carrying equipment and weapons that you wouldn't have on a first-playthrough, or as a more cynical me would say, the game wasn't really balanced at all.

Co-op *is* really fun though, and the melee is better than 4.

So I guess it's not really a worthy purchase for single-player then? None of my friends have the game so I'd probably struggle to find a co-op partner. You said the mechanics carry the game pretty well, but does crappy partner AI outweigh that if I'm going solo?

quote:

RE6 is actually a fun game, but also very flawed and unpolished and it requires some work to really enjoy. There's basically no tutorial and the game isn't good at naturally teaching you it's new mechanics throughout the campaign either. Like, the beginning of Leon's chapter 2 is a huge skill check on whether you learned how to counter enemy attacks, without the game ever even hinting that you could do that. And you can still force your way through that part without counter, it's just the opposite of fun.

Yeah I've seen some gifs and clips that make the combat look pretty fun actually. Are there any good tutorial videos out there that could help me get a handle on things the game won't tell me?

quote:

As for the ports themselves...RE6 is flawless, RE5 has some minor framerate and physics issues.

How about 4 itself, is it a good port? I've seen some people claim it actually looks a bit worse in HD because it exposes some of the raw edges and takes away some lo-fi atmosphere, but the screenshots look OK to me.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

thorsilver posted:

How about 4 itself, is it a good port? I've seen some people claim it actually looks a bit worse in HD because it exposes some of the raw edges and takes away some lo-fi atmosphere, but the screenshots look OK to me.

It's fine. Some crazy person is in the process of doing a complete texture replacement for RE4 HD to solve those few complaints but other than that it's exactly what you'd expect out of a port of a Wii game which was a port of a PS2 game. There are some incredibly blurry looking objects here and there but all the important parts look good.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Holy poo poo Darkside Chronicles is great, i just beat the re2 part and loved it, i was expecting the same let down that umbrella chronicles did with some of those levels but drat, they really went all out. Kinda hoping the proper re2 remake has a vr section that is just like that but more re7 like.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

thorsilver posted:

So I guess it's not really a worthy purchase for single-player then? None of my friends have the game so I'd probably struggle to find a co-op partner. You said the mechanics carry the game pretty well, but does crappy partner AI outweigh that if I'm going solo?

On higher difficulties definitly, the AI is pretty bad at not getting hit. On Normal it's not much of an issue. Give Sheva a rifle, because at least she has almost perfect aim and maybe a machinegun instead of a pistol if you're not using those. That way the AI won't eat up your ammo.

thorsilver posted:

Yeah I've seen some gifs and clips that make the combat look pretty fun actually. Are there any good tutorial videos out there that could help me get a handle on things the game won't tell me?

http://lparchive.org/Resident-Evil-6/

Our very own Lunethex is showing how the campaigns are supposed to be tackled.

All the dodge rolls are done in combination with your aim and run button together with directional inputs. If you press the aim button while running you do a slide. You can experiment with those. Also, if you have remote bombs, you'll drop them automatically while you're sliding.

Melee setups in this game aren't as depending on locational hits as they were in the previous games, rather, there are various stun degrees for different context melee attacks. More about that here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkY8fcbfjqM

If that's a bit too much, two of the most efficient ways to set enemies up for a strong melee attack is to either use a quick shot (Press both triggers at the same time.) to put them in a light stun and then slide into them for a heavy stun. Then you can use your strong melee attack. Or just hit them with your elbow attack. (Press the attack button with your back towards the enemy.)

If the game asks you to rotate the analogue stick, twirl both at the same time, goes much faster that way. And get the Breakout skill as soon as possible. The description doesn't really say it, but it makes *all* button mash and stick wiggle QTE's much easier to perform.

To counter enemy attacks, just press the attack button at the right moment. For some enemy attacks you gotta do it right before they hit you, for others, it's when they're about to start their attack. You best learn them in Mercenaries mode, they're very useful during the campaigns as well, and you can counter almost any attack, no matter how big the enemy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-BntXy0USY

thorsilver posted:

It has some timing related bugs due to 60 fps here and there (The time until the big village fight ends is halved for example.) but it still plays much better with the higher framerate. There's a weird bug where the aiming laser sometimes goes crazy, forcing you to restart the game but that rarely happens.

Kibayasu posted:

It's fine. Some crazy person is in the process of doing a complete texture replacement for RE4 HD to solve those few complaints but other than that it's exactly what you'd expect out of a port of a Wii game which was a port of a PS2 game. There are some incredibly blurry looking objects here and there but all the important parts look good.

Only the crappy Ubisoft PC port was based on the PS2 version. The Wii, PC HD, PS3 and PS4 ports are all based on the original Gamecube version, thankfully. Except for Seperate Ways of course.

John Luebke fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 6, 2017

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

John Luebke posted:

On higher difficulties definitly, the AI is pretty bad at not getting hit. On Normal it's not much of an issue. Give Sheva AI a rifle, because at least she has almost perfect aim and maybe a machinegun instead of a pistol if you're not using those. That way the AI won't eat up your ammo.

http://lparchive.org/Resident-Evil-6/

Our very own Lunethex is showing how the campaigns are supposed to be tackled.

All the dodge rolls are done in combination with your aim and run button together with directional inputs. If you press the aim button while running you do a slide. You can experiment with those. Also, if you have remote bombs, you'll drop them automatically while you're sliding.

Melee setups in this game aren't as depending on locational hits as they were in the previous games, rather, there are various stun degrees for different context melee attacks. More about that here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkY8fcbfjqM

If that's a bit too much, two of the most efficient ways to set enemies up for a strong melee attack is to either use a quick shot (Press both triggers at the same time.) to put them in a light stun and then slide into them for a heavy stun. Then you can use your strong melee attack. Or just hit them with your elbow attack. (Press the attack button with your back towards the enemy.)

If the game asks you to rotate the analogue stick, twirl both at the same time, goes much faster that way. And get the Breakout skill as soon as possible. The description doesn't really say it, but it makes *all* button mash and stick wiggle QTE's much easier to perform.

To counter enemy attacks, just press the attack button at the right moment. For some enemy attacks you gotta do it right before they hit you, for others, it's when they're about to start their attack. You best learn them in Mercenaries mode, they're very useful during the campaigns as well, and you can counter almost any attack, no matter how big the enemy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-BntXy0USY

It has some timing related bugs due to 60 fps here and there (The time until the big village fight ends is halved for example.) but it still plays much better with the higher framerate. There's a weird bug where the aiming laser sometimes goes crazy, forcing you to restart the game but that rarely happens.

Only the crappy Ubisoft PC port was based on the PS2 version. The Wii, PC HD, PS3 and PS4 ports are all based on the original Gamecube version, thankfully. Except for Seperate Ways of course.

Thanks, this is all super helpful! In the end I bought the triple pack, because what the hell, sounds like there's some fun to be had. Also most of my work friends are teaching in the game development programme at the university I work in, so surely I can convince one of that lot to go in on RE5 with me!

I'll definitely check out the RE6 LP and bank these tips for later, thanks for those. It's a shame they didn't bring over these mechanics into a better-constructed game, from the sounds of it -- RE7 is going back to the horror roots, it seems like, but it'd be fun to have a sort of series of action-style RE still going to build on this stuff IMO. I'm one of those that likes both the original RE gameplay and the RE4 style so I'd love to see both sides of the franchise carry on but maybe that's not really practical for the dev teams to do I guess. Also having not really played 5 or 6 yet maybe I'm speaking too soon :v:

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I remember being mildly disappointed with 5. Mainly because the whole game lacked atmosphere of 4. It is like you are running around in broad daylight half the time. Plus as many have stated the co-op really altered the design of the game to negatively effect singleplayer. Similliar to dead space 3

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I loooove Resi 5 but I also beat that game 4+ times in Co-Op with people on the couch next to me so I'm extremely biased. In single player its just worse Resi 4 and a lot of things just feel like a step back mechanically compared to 4.

It also doesn't help that Resi 4's aesthetic of Italo-Horror is fantastic and atmospheric (well for the first 2/3rds anyway) while Resi 5's entire game up until the swamp feels like it could be Blood on the Sand or any other bland 3rd person shooter of its era. Like, it may have the single most boring oil-rig in gaming history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Planning on playing RE7 in VR? Well, Capcom has just the add-on peripheral for you!

It's a candle! The "Resident Evil 7 4D Candle" is $16 and smells like "blood and timber," creepy ghost smoke face not included.