Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

SMP posted:

This new remake is the only RE game i've played besides 5 / the only horror game i've really played and holy poo poo. gently caress. not sure i'm cut out for this. i can mainline horror movies all day every day but this games got me shook. i haven't even met this mr. x I keep hearing about (besides his "intro" in the jail) but from what i gather it's going to do my head in.

about how long are all the campaigns? theres 4 total right? i only rented this thinking i could squeeze it all in this weekend, but i don't have the fortitude to handle binging this.

1) Play during the day!

2) Run into the nearest enemy and let it rip you to shreds once or twice, reload, take a breath, THEN start playing the "right" way.

3) Do the same with Mr. X when he shows up. Just let him smoosh your face in, get the adrenaline out of your system then realize it's super easy to stay ahead of him. He's more of a nuisance than a terror after you realize how he's just a slow stompy boy.

4) Have a spare save file where you can run around and waste all your ammo like a dumbass and get some cathartic zombie violence out of your system.

Conquer your fears!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

helena cant be worse than steve because she has a shotgun from devil may cry and does breakdancing moves with it

SMP
May 5, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

1) Play during the day!

2) Run into the nearest enemy and let it rip you to shreds once or twice, reload, take a breath, THEN start playing the "right" way.

3) Do the same with Mr. X when he shows up. Just let him smoosh your face in, get the adrenaline out of your system then realize it's super easy to stay ahead of him. He's more of a nuisance than a terror after you realize how he's just a slow stompy boy.

4) Have a spare save file where you can run around and waste all your ammo like a dumbass and get some cathartic zombie violence out of your system.

Conquer your fears!

i do love the feeling tbh. movies haven't given me this kind of rush in a very long time. i'm in awe of this game.

my ammo-wasting save is my main save :colbert:

you can't give me a shotgun that good and think i'm not gonna waste any mother fuckers i find in main hallways.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I have a dumb question. Is damage cumulative?

Like, if I pop off a couple head shots, a kneecap and wing a licker on my way to a safe room but don't drop any of the monsters, when I come back out and re-enter that same hall/room does the damage I already inflicted carry over to their "hit points" or whatever? Because I could see that being a useful thing to consider if I try a speed run.

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Is zombie "HP" persistent or does it get reset when you wander off too far?

This. Haven't seen a definitive answer though. Do the zombie kneecaps stay ...um...kneecapped?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 1, 2019

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Anything you delimb stays that way even after you leave. I don't know about specific HP damage because enemies are, well, real random about how many hits they take though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Game owns.

e; I do think it's kinda bullshit how many .380 ACP rounds a zombie can take to the head though.

e2; I loving love how much they leaned into having to fiddle with your items in your inventory to get stuff you need :v:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 1, 2019

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

ClaireA Hardcore miniblog:
-Try a few things against G2. Die a few times against G2.
-Clumsily run the labs, get the oscilloscope, Claire decides to be spit-roasted by zombies on the stairwell instead.
-G2 again.
-Clumsily run the labs again, too much backtracking having unused weapons in my inventory
-Third save: 2h20m
-Get to the elevator... get to the infirmary... keep checking in-game time.
-Rampage anyway until I grab the minigun at ~2h28m
-Half-heartedly die to the final boss around 2h31m
-Re-load G2 fight. Re-fight G2 :byewhore:
-Re-run labs with a lean inventory and going loving ham with the grenade launcher.
-Re-save: 2h15m
-Rampage again :black101:
-Still not actually understanding when the final boss is vulnerable or invincible, run out of minigun ammo
-Finish Claire's final boss with a mouthful of herbs and a knife in hand :ese:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Am I just supposed to guess the last 2 symbols to unlock the herbicide mixing chamber or am I missing something? That’s a ton of possible combinations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

veni veni veni posted:

Am I just supposed to guess the last 2 symbols to unlock the herbicide mixing chamber or am I missing something? That’s a ton of possible combinations.

You eventually fine the whole code later.

It’s kind of a weird set up.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

veni veni veni posted:

Also the symbols are the negative space of actual numbers going along a regular keypad.

keep an eye out for a trophy--there's a memo that tells you to examine it. I wasn't aware there was a way to find just two symbols instead of the whole thing.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Also the symbols are the negative space of actual numbers going along a regular keypad.

keep an eye out for a trophy--there's a memo that tells you to examine it. I wasn't aware there was a way to find just two symbols instead of the whole thing.

Yo what I never realized that, I kept making dumb names for the symbols. Also yeah if you observe the mixer there's a torn-up sticker with the first 2 symbols.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The two symbols are on the unit itself. Yeah I found the item a few minutes later.

I gotta say it’s drat bullshit that the herbicide doesn’t kill the salad zombies in the greenhouse

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It's worse. If you attack one before grabbing the item they all start waking immediately.

Though maybe you can get a more favorable pattern to run between if you time it.

E: on mobile, just rephrasing

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
When you make a noise in a licker room

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Is zombie "HP" persistent or does it get reset when you wander off too far?

Enemies are never dead-dead unless you completely obliterate their skulls which takes a random amount of shots via pistol, often-but-not-always 1 shot of a shotgun if close enough, exploded, or if you take the time to chop or shoot every limb off (or 1 shot of the magnum which should go without speaking). The first time you just knock them prone with gunshots they'll either get back up a few seconds later or will be up whenever you leave and return to the room. And their skull pop hp can take just as many if not twice more than previous' encounter to knock them prone again or pop them. I think there's a chance of them being dead-dead with their skulls intact, but it's hard to tell. That's just for normal zombos. Everything else will stay dead.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The sign was a lie. There were no hugs. No hugs at all.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

for people already completing the game in S and S+ times, did you go back and get the DEagle scope/Mac 11 extended mag? I'm in the sewers with Claire right now and aiming for an S+ but wondering if hiking back up to the RPD is worth the time

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Finally beat Assisted mode for Leon A, just under 6 hours (I am a clown man) and now I’m ready for Claire B. Then I’m gonna do the whole thing again with retro music/costumes.

So far the most satisfying thing is getting the odd head explosion with the first shot from the pistol. On that note, between this and RDR2 I’m happy to see gory destroyable bodies make their return, it’s been too long.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

Finally beat Assisted mode for Leon A, just under 6 hours (I am a clown man) and now I’m ready for Claire B. Then I’m gonna do the whole thing again with retro music/costumes.

So far the most satisfying thing is getting the odd head explosion with the first shot from the pistol. On that note, between this and RDR2 I’m happy to see gory destroyable bodies make their return, it’s been too long.

If you can stomach the frankly awful community Killing Floor 2 has some pretty awesome gore going for it.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
There's an unfinished version of the orphanage out of bounds behind the orphanage. Lots of untextured props and half done rooms, only thing that has a light source is what looks like the hall where you hide as Sherry.

Mr. Maggy fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 1, 2019

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Aces High posted:

for people already completing the game in S and S+ times, did you go back and get the DEagle scope/Mac 11 extended mag? I'm in the sewers with Claire right now and aiming for an S+ but wondering if hiking back up to the RPD is worth the time

If you know where to go, you don't lose that much time in doing it, especially if you've left any resources back in the RPD. I'd argue that the Magnum scope makes a bigger difference than the SMG's extended clip, though.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

SMG clip is like 24 free rounds of ammo when you first install it, which can be nice.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

Didn't Leon and Chris team up in one of those CG movies they keep making, except Chris has sobered up and now Leon's the alcoholic?

Was Chris supposed to be an alcoholic in the original games? Because that went over my head

edit: Speaking of Chris Redfield, RE5 owned in a couch co-op kind of way. It was actually pretty fun. Chris Redfield was one of my favorite characters since playing the original as a kid on the PSX

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 1, 2019

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

marshmallow creep posted:

Even if you don't find the note, the key item sticks out like a sore thumb and didn't have an obvious purpose so I just examined it and there ya go.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rabid Snake posted:

Was Chris supposed to be an alcoholic in the original games? Because that went over my head

edit: Speaking of Chris Redfield, RE5 owned in a couch co-op kind of way. It was actually pretty fun. Chris Redfield was one of my favorite characters since playing the original as a kid on the PSX

Chris is an alcoholic in 6 but idk if there's lore about it before then.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

In Training posted:

drat the only game I haven't played

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

In Training posted:

It’s picked up and dropped just for 6 so he can be grumpy at Ada Wong and have pissy co op voice lines

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

None of the characters in those movies really look like their videogame counterparts though. They look like cosplayers who gave up.

Jill's actress in the commentary for Apocalypse is so deadly serious that it's adorable. She literally watched hours of RE3 gameplay so she could learn to walk like Jill. And she does! She put her heart and soul into being Jill Valentine.

Then you got Alice and Carlos on commentary just laughing at everything and taking nothing seriously. Reminiscent of RE1's commentary where Milla and Michelle Rodriguez were so busy laughing at the blatant nudity while Anderson and some guy in charge of designs and visuals try to explain teh technical work of making the movie. Probably why Apocalypse has three commentary tracks so those guys can nerd out while Milla and Oded just joke about everything.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I dig all the RE movies except for Regeneration.

RE1 is a neat, self contained romp. Paul WS Anderson took the material and put his own doofy rear end spin on already doofy material. RE2 is already jumping the shark and it's a blast. Carlos (played by the handsome and talented Oded Fehr!) jumping out of a helicopter and scoring headshots with dual pistols while in midair? I'll take it. Hand to hand fight between Alice and Nemesis that's so badly shot and edited you can't actually tell what's happening? The actress playing Jill tried to replicate her gun stance from the games! Also, End of Heartache by Killswitch Engage over the end credits? Can we get more early 2000's?

Extinction is weak but worth watching with buds and laughing at the absurdity. Not much to say about this one other than the idea of the T-Virus infecting the actual god damned earth is the funniest poo poo ever.

Afterlife is the TITS. I love that stupid, stupid movie. Where do all the women get their magnificent makeup from? Why is so much of it in slow motion? Pretty sure shoving a bunch of quarters into your sawed off shotgun will have it explode in your face and shower your upper body in metal shards, but ok! Sole Black Dude not only introduces himself by doing a slam dunk move to stop a plane from falling off a building, but you think he dies....and he survives! Can't keep him down! Whoever they got to play Wesker deserved an Oscar. He is hamming it up so much if he transmogrified into a pig I wouldn't be surprised. He's gorging himself on the scenery, and then to top it all off his outro is the RE5 fight complete with sunglasses distraction throw and bullet dodging flips while The Outider by A Perfect Circle blares on the soundtrack. I love this dumb gently caress movie to absolute bits.

Like I said, Regeneration is wack. I always dug how they'd give Milla a new fun high fashion outfit to wear but her getup in this one is so, so stupid, even for these movies. It just doesn't fit. They introduce Leon and Barry and Ada and then promptly waste them (Barry has a great death, though). They just reuse the giant axe wielding guy fight so that was boring. The ending was tight, though.

The Final Chapter is hilarious and dumb in all the best ways, but the editing...I got a migraine seeing that on the big screen. I'm impressed that PWSA just said "gently caress continuity" and decided that all the characters from the last movie except Alice didn't exist because he was too tired to write them or some dumb poo poo, lmao. Stupid, stupid ending, stupid plot, stupid action, stupid stupid stupid....and I loved it.

RE1's still the best one. That main theme by Marilyn Manson holy poo poo.

Anyway no one asked but that's what I think of the live action RE's. Don't ask me about the CG ones, they're all bad. Wait no, the hysterical John Wick fights in Vendetta are brilliant and there's a great sequence where you realize that the BSAA probably causes more collateral damage than zombie outbreaks.

Is it just me or does the soundtrack there sound really similar to BFG Division by Mick Gordon from the latest Doom?

Extinction is memorable mainly for Carlos driving a bus or truck into a bunch of zombies and then blowing it up while smoking a blunt.

And yeah Milla's look is a huge draw for each film. I appreciate the fact it's always different. Even though Extinction is the worst film, I like her look most in it just because I dig the post-apocalyptic grungy look.

One thing I noticed a long time ago is all the best RE films are directed by Paul WS Anderson. He was around for all of them but he did not direct Apocalypse or Extinction and I hate them both a lot. Well, mainly Extinction. Afterlife, the fourth RE movie, is a lot like the RE4 video game. They just stopped even pretending to be serious horror and said gently caress it let's be as campy as possible. Smart move.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpIpfJUqRDY

Still kicking myself for not saving the GIF someone in this thread posted of this scene.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

MiddleOne posted:

My impression is that this something CAPCOMs trademark adaptive difficulty tinkers with in real-time. Since zombie health has such a huge variance to begin with (anywhere in-between 2 and 14 bullets by my count) I don't think whether the system remembers or not would actually make a difference. The game clearly scales zombies either randomly or by how well you're doing in and I would presume that applies to zombies you've shot but not killed as well. Similiar to how zombies can appear downed the first time you pass by a room and kill them but later 'resurrect' upon your return.

One definite factor in enemy health scaling is how much ammo you have. This includes infinite ammo weapons, so if you run around with the infinite pistol or SMG you can expect your non-infinite weapons to pack significantly less punch. Dunno if the infinite knife has any effect on scaling.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Anyone interested in stats?

Leon is more popular than Claire for a first playthrough but Claire has a better K/D ratio.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

That's another one down! Claire B is pretty nerve wracking, I had to do a lot of shuffling around the pistols to get by with such low ammo.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Leon is naturally going to be the more popular choice. With the Resident Evil 4 fame on his shoulders! But the number of zombies killed... woah. That's incredible.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Back on RE8 talk, I feel like any sort of environment could work as long as they loving focus on it, give it love and personality.

RE team has a terrible record with boats though, stay the gently caress away from boats.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

REmake on PC:

So Jill is better than Chris the first run? Having 8 item-slots over 6 feels far more important that not being able to punch boulders.

There's no hard-mode at the start so the highest available difficulty is normal?

I know about the Crimson Head mechanic so is to possible to metagame and clean out most rooms in such a manner that I don't need to return? Like how you can get 90% completion of the RPD before the Birkin fight, so you don't have much to do when DMX is around.

I played RE7 with a keyboard because of it's FPS nature, and RE2 with keyboard because there's no aim-assist. Is REmake viable with the gamepad?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
REmake (and most of RE1 really):
-Chris has more health, two less inventory slots. Might do more damage with the knife even, but I can't recall. Jill is suggested first in both the original and REmake so you juggle items less and run around more.

-Hard difficulty (and some other challenges) unlock after beating it on normal.

-Crimson Heads are on a timer after death, they aren't triggered by events. If you're playing slowly you can get swarmed before getting to the second area.

-Played REmake on a 360 pad just this past October. I'm sure it works with a KB+M, but I wouldn't choose to.

RE: Movies
I've only seen the first three and maybe one animated feature. First one was too serious for me to get into, second one was a fun horror-exploitation romp, third one was abysmal.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
REmake is fine and good with a controller. There is an alternate control scheme that makes juking zombies much easier than regular tank controls so take advantage of that if you can.

The optimal way to handle zombies is to either decapitate or blow off a leg - both these methods will stop them turning into crimson heads. If you have to burn them, try to take out zombies so that their torsos are on top of each other as you can burn multiple zombies with one dose of kerosene.

Jill has an easier game than Chris in terms of inventory space, access to the grenade launcher and the lockpick. Chris on the other hand can take more damage and has a higher chance of getting a headshot with either the pistol or shotgun. His secondary defense item - flash grenades - are also better because they're a free enemy decapitation while Jill's taser is not.

You're prompted at the start of the game to choose between Hiking, Mountain Climbing and I think they added another option in the HD Remaster that effectively acts as your difficulty selection. Once you have a cleared save it just becomes Easy/Normal/Hard from the menu.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
You are totally correct that the highest difficulty available at the start is "Normal", and because of that I actually totally recommend playing as Chris first time around. You only have 6 item slots and you don't have the lockpick - but with the amount of backtracking you need to do, you get to familiarise yourself really well with the mansion and it's an added bonus that you punch boulders like a boss.

Jill is great for your first Hard playthrough because you get to enjoy the improved item slots, ability to pick locks and ability to do science to kill a boss later in the game, whereas Chris isn't smart enough to. He's a big bulky bloke - he can only punch boulders!.

And yep - clear rooms of zombies. The ones you don't headshot you need to go back and burn to avoid them becoming Crimson heads. This becomes even more important later in the game as when you return to the mansion it also gets invaded with Hunters, who are these big Lizard things that can take your head off with one swing if they time it well. The wombo-combo of Crimson head Zombie and Hunter is truly terrifying. So making sure you tidy up all those messy zombie corpses is important, otherwise it's going to be brutally hard :suicide:

With the gamepad, I play with tank controls because I'm old and that's how I used to play :colbert: I think a gamepad is the only way to play with that control scheme if I'm honest. The more modern controls I'm not sure, so play around and find a scheme that works for you.

God speed! :blastu:

Old Grasshopper fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 1, 2019

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

In Training posted:

There isn't. (Mostly because Chris got his bad habits edited out by the ESRB back before the M rating existed.) Chris starts both RE5 and RE6 in a depressive spiral, though, and is self-medicating with alcohol at the start of RE6.

Leon starts throwing back drinks in a troubling way at the end of Damnation and by Vendetta, Chris and Rebecca have to scrape him off the floor of a hotel bar in the middle of the afternoon.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

When a hero has a drink-problem in fiction it's always a minor detail and never cirrhosis-bad.

Does the cutscene with Claire, Sherry, and Mr.X take into account if X still has his hat or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He didn't have it in my playthrough where I had shot it off earlier, but there's a screenshot floating around where he does have it so I'd assume so yes. Which is hilarious.