Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

For what it’s worth I think the game does an amazing job obscuring its underlying mechanics. The first few runs of this game are extremely mysterious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobos Anomaly
Jul 23, 2018

Wanderer posted:

It doesn't matter whether a zombie's head explodes in one, three, or a dozen handgun shots, because I'm either going to avoid it entirely, knock it over and run, or pull out something heavier to remove the problem. The handgun isn't meant to be an anti-zombie tool so much as something to disrupt its patterns.

Aim for the head. The zombie will be down in 3-4 shots. Run past it. Any one of those shots could one-shot it. Don't waste better ammo on zombies.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Phobos Anomaly posted:

Yeah but it does.

It doesn't, though. The data's out there and you can even test this yourself if you wanted, it's not true. It seems intuitive that it would be true, but it's one of RE2s many obfuscations.

Heads can also explode in relation to doing a large amount of damage versus maximum health of a zombie, which means if you do larger amounts of damage by zooming the crosshair thing and then explode the head, it can seem like holding the crosshair in makes you more likely to deal a critical, but it doesn't, it's just another diversion.

it's nice that you're enjoying the game but you don't have to defensively kneejerk about it lol

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Just finished up RE7 and its DLCs for the first time and am now gonna get started on RE2. Any consensus as to whether I should play as Leon or Claire first?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t even know why anyone is talking about this, the only group that would care is speed runners and outside of that one glitch there isn’t even a reason for them to care, as dodging zombies is more practical for the main game,

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I dome every relevant zombie 3-4 times and then knife it until it perma dies. From Standard to Hardcore, C to S, A to B, Minimalist to Frugalist, whatever, the point is I own the RPD by the end of every playthrough and have tons of ammo for bosses. You get so many knives and it takes so little durability to finish a downed zombie that their health values barely factor in, should they not pop like a melon before hitting the ground.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Psycho Mantits posted:

Just finished up RE7 and its DLCs for the first time and am now gonna get started on RE2. Any consensus as to whether I should play as Leon or Claire first?

It doesn't really matter, but there's a couple of twists in enemy placement that work better if you play Leon first then Claire.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t even know why anyone is talking about this, the only group that would care is speed runners and outside of that one glitch there isn’t even a reason for them to care, as dodging zombies is more practical for the main game,

again it's nice that you're enjoying the game but this succeeded in annoying the poo poo out of me pretty much all throughout my normal playthroughs since I caught on to some extent that the game was pulling some weird poo poo, I just didn't exactly know what until people really dug into it.

the "only speedrunners would care" is my favourite type of defensive kneejerk.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Momomo posted:

I had pretty consistent results with legs. Three shots of the Matilda would destroy a leg, and this was the case essentially every time I tried. Claire's weapons seemed to be a bit more variable but that's either because they're slightly weaker or because I never got used to them with the juggling.

A lot of posts to catch up with the thread but this is 100%incorrect. The legs are as Inconsistent as everything else

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

again it's nice that you're enjoying the game but this succeeded in annoying the poo poo out of me pretty much all throughout my normal playthroughs since I caught on to some extent that the game was pulling some weird poo poo, I just didn't exactly know what until people really dug into it.

the "only speedrunners would care" is my favourite type of defensive kneejerk.

It’s not defensive because the whole point of my post was they don’t care either.

Though yes speed runners and regular people do not care about the same things

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s not defensive because the whole point of my post was they don’t care either

random stagger kinda annoys them but resident evil speedrunners are no stranger to silly randomness. It's just part of the territory.

they care but at the same time they know the ballgame they're playing, I can't imagine any of them prefer the random rear end stagger though. Even RE4 had pretty consistent staggering.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Femtosecond posted:

Yay I finished Claire A and it took me... 10 hours ?!

Sup, fellow super slow RE2 player?

I'm still on my first full A-B run. Currently on Claire B and I got lost as gently caress in the sewers. The map confuses me and I wound up backtracking all over the loving place before I noticed one "climb down" ladder that I somehow kept missing. Then my stupid rear end was all "wait, I'm missing a chess piece" so I subjected myself to the sewer maze all over again to go hunt for it before realizing the loving thing was plugged into one of the boxes.

Jesus Christ I swear I wasted 90 minutes spazzing out down there wondering wtf to do next.

Finally got to the lab and am loaded up with ammo so finally breaking out the grenade launcher is super satisfying and really happy stompy didn't show up on the greenhouse. Skipped the spark shot entirely so hopefully I won't need it. Poor Sherry and her yellow veined eyeball.

:(

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Phobos Anomaly posted:

Aim for the head. The zombie will be down in 3-4 shots. Run past it. Any one of those shots could one-shot it. Don't waste better ammo on zombies.

Have you noticed, now that the math is being uncovered, how few of the enemies in this game are actually all about whittling away at a giant health pool? You legit don't need the big guns for most of them, so if you've got a high-traffic narrow area with a tanky zombie in it, there's no reason not to burn a shotgun shell or acid round on a permanent neutralization.

This is the only sensible way to treat it once you know how it works, but you first have to realise that and even then it doesn't do that consistently.

I mean, I realized it pretty quickly. My first run was on Standard, and I quickly cottoned on to the idea that stun-and-run was how I was "supposed" to go.

Although I did unnecessarily burn a lot of ammo in the lab because I didn't realize how the new Ivies worked.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If there was one part of the game that tugged my heart strings, it was when Claire tries to return Sherry her pendant and she turns away from Claire and says “I don’t want it.”

Poor kid. :(

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Treating a desire to kill zombies as "Doing it wrong" may be why so many people find the morgue a rough spot, instead of one of the easiest and most cathartic moments in the game. When their first instinct at seeing an intact skull in cramped obvious trap quarters is... let them live and get a fair chance to attack you.

On that note while I joke about it, the only times zombie resilience REALLY bugs me is when they are crawling or playing dead.

If a walking zombie takes another salvo of handgun rounds, or an extra shotgun blast or two to drop, that can still feel like "Survival horror"

But if a crawling, or smacked into nap time zombie tanks 6+ handgun rounds or a point blank shotgun blast? Then I feel like Elmer Fudd picking on Daffy duck. More so when it just sends them back to nap time again :v: I figure the zombie that dove over the railing above the Darkroom, was just too embarrassed to associate themselves with the one still crawling around up there with more 9mm in his skull than brain.

I comfort myself over my slow an inefficient as hell gameplay, with an absurd collection of non ammo items. The first time I got to NEST, I had something like 20+ 9mm rounds (time to dust off the gunpowser!). But also realized I had 5 hand grenades despite throwing one at a G boy for giggles, along with a mountain of healing items.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 10, 2019

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
There was definitely at least one zombie today that took me like 6 Matilda leg shots before it came off.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

for the most part I feel like I always have enough ammunition to kill or dismember most of the zombies that are pains in the rear end (in Standard at least.) Leon A I had quite a lot of ammo at the end. Claire B is a big tighter in the ammo department but I'm at the lab and still have like 7 or so gunpowders besides like 6 each of grenade rounds/40ish bullets for the SMG/10 big boy bullets and some regular ones. I'd say I like Leon's poo poo better if only because the Flamethrower seems like it's better than this garbage rear end Sparkshot. Maybe I'm wrong but initial impression for it isn't great.

Phobos Anomaly
Jul 23, 2018

It doesn't, though. The data's out there and you can even test this yourself if you wanted, it's not true. It seems intuitive that it would be true, but it's one of RE2s many obfuscations.

Heads can also explode in relation to doing a large amount of damage versus maximum health of a zombie, which means if you do larger amounts of damage by zooming the crosshair thing and then explode the head, it can seem like holding the crosshair in makes you more likely to deal a critical, but it doesn't, it's just another diversion.

it's nice that you're enjoying the game but you don't have to defensively kneejerk about it lol

So tightening the crosshair makes shots more powerful and thus more likely to crit. There might not be a specific line of code that says tightening the crosshair will innately increase the chances of a crit, but in practical terms it does.

Easy way to test in game. Use the infinite handgun and knock a zombie down. Spray bullets into the head of the corpse. Compare how many shots it takes to destroy the head by spraying vs tightening.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Flamethrower is just overall more useful. The ammo conservation upgrade combined with its general design means that as long as you're doing relatively small puffs you get WAY more usages out of it than Spark Shot even with every ammo pickup in the game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CharlestheHammer posted:

Actually, if you're going for S+ rank runs just to get the Infinite RPG/Minigun you're going to care a whole bunch about this. S+ requires you to haul rear end, and there's room where you won't be dodging or running through zombies without getting some staggers/leg pops. You also won't have the ammo to clear out poo poo as nearly everything is saved for staggers and bosses. There were times where I almost died because things weren't working out and to no fault of my own.

I'm at my last save right before Birkin 3. Do his eyes have random health or something? The leg one always takes 2 shells and the one on the back I can get with 1 shell consistently, but his should eye is a fuckin' crap shoot. Sometimes it'll take up to 3 at point blank and other times it'll just pop in 1.

Phobos Anomaly
Jul 23, 2018

Wanderer posted:

Have you noticed, now that the math is being uncovered, how few of the enemies in this game are actually all about whittling away at a giant health pool? You legit don't need the big guns for most of them, so if you've got a high-traffic narrow area with a tanky zombie in it, there's no reason not to burn a shotgun shell or acid round on a permanent neutralization.

Or just use your handgun and save your white gunpowder on SMG or magnum ammo, and not be wasting that gunpowder on crap shotgun shells and acid rounds.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only times I've really gone "are you KIDDING me" after pouring ammo into a zombie and having them still be standing (as in, not knocked out temporarily or de-limbed as it were) are on Hardcore, where the game is locked to the max adaptive difficulty. imo they did a great job balancing things so that the player gets the gist very quickly that they're not intended to spend the supplies to take things out permanently unless they are a direct threat or will be one on the return trip. Specific zombies that just refuse to die and keep getting back up really push that point home, that you should abandon your desire to clear things out because it's just not gonna happen unless you really really want it. It's not that kind of game, they know it full well, and they want to make sure you also know it whether you peek behind the curtain or not.

edit: Regarding the removal of limbs taking a sorta-random amount of shots, I do wish that at least was a bit more consistent. I agree that staggers themselves being random is better for the casual player because again it avoids the arcade-esque gameplay that makes RE4 so different than the prior games... but it would be nice if the game could tell what you were trying to do and decide whether to just give it to you or not.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 10, 2019

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Just finished my Claire A game today on Standard. That final form G was a mother fucker to take down and I'm not sure how many times I died.

Surprisingly, the minigun fight went incredibly well.

Finished in about 8:30 which isn't bad. I was using a cheat sheet for combinations and safes early so I had a bunch of extra storage, but I've also never finished RE2 before so I was more than happy to just enjoy the experience.

Leon B however, I'm playing with a guide because I want to hit S rank and get the infinite pistol. Stoked for 4th Survivor although I have a feeling I'm going to be terrible at it.

And the DLC hits next weekend so I'm ready for that.

This game was fantastic and it solidified my love of Claire as a character.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Section Z posted:

Treating a desire to kill zombies as "Doing it wrong" may be why so many people find the morgue a rough spot, instead of one of the easiest and most cathartic moments in the game. When their first instinct at seeing an intact skull in cramped obvious trap quarters is... let them live and get a fair chance to attack you.

This game is a lot like the nes ninja gaiden series where never stop moving forward is actually the best way to play.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

In Training posted:

But what about on hardcore that doesn't have difficulty scaling.

i think there is some scaling, but its really minor and only between two steppings

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Vakal posted:

This game is a lot like the nes ninja gaiden series where never stop moving forward is actually the best way to play.

This is my favorite part of the world design, it's very cyclical. If you know the area, even if you gotta pause to look at the map, you don't ever have to stop and turn around. There's nearly always a way to get where you're going without about-facing. It's remarkable.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The Flamethrower is just overall more useful. The ammo conservation upgrade combined with its general design means that as long as you're doing relatively small puffs you get WAY more usages out of it than Spark Shot even with every ammo pickup in the game.

I feel like the Spark Shot has its advantages, but it's in the wrong game. I was watching somebody speedrun Tofu Survivor as Flan earlier, who starts with a Spark Shot and an insane amount of ammo for it, and even a single un-charged hit from the Spark Shot is worth a stun and knockdown on standard zombies. If you got it earlier in the main game and found more needles, the Spark Shot would probably have a lot more defenders.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

In all of my Claire playthroughs I've only found 1 other clip for the Sparkshot, it's good but the lack of ammo makes it feel pointless.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Spark Shot is awesome, but the utter scarcity of the ammo definitely dissuaded me from using it. You don't really need much ammo considering how powerful it is, but there's no way to know its potential unless you go wild with it, which you won't do with such few shots. I wouldn't have minded if it was a bit less powerful but ammo was a bit more common, I think I found one pickup the whole game.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

The Spark Shot is awesome, but the utter scarcity of the ammo definitely dissuaded me from using it. You don't really need much ammo considering how powerful it is, but there's no way to know its potential unless you go wild with it, which you won't do with such few shots. I wouldn't have minded if it was a bit less powerful but ammo was a bit more common, I think I found one pickup the whole game.

I used >50% of my shots on the Gs running back from getting it and then had to shove it into a box until the final boss where it turned out to be useless

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

CJacobs posted:

As far as I know, there are two. One's in the "hiding places" spot in the RPD press room, and the other's in the bioreactor room where you fight William.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I'm still kind of confused on the timeline of RE2 and RE3.

When Jill begins her escape it is already night time, then sometime after she leaves the RCPD, Claire and Leon arrive, and then Jill gets knocked out for an uncertain amount of time and then she escapes just before the city gets nuked while the sun is still down.

But when Leon and Claire escape, the sun is out.

So I guess the only thing that makes sense if is the nuke hits while they are down in the labs and they just don't notice it since there are too far away.

Either way it kind of puts a damper on the upbeat ending they have.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Vakal posted:

When Jill begins her escape it is already night time, then sometime after she leaves the RCPD, Claire and Leon arrive, and then Jill gets knocked out for an uncertain amount of time and then she escapes just before the city gets nuked while the sun is still down.

But when Leon and Claire escape, the sun is out.

Jill says, right before she becomes playable for the first time in RE3, that it's September 28th. She leaves the warehouse, fights the Nemesis, meets up with Carlos, and gets knocked out in the aftermath of the fight at the clock tower.

Leon and Claire get to the RPD on the evening of the 29th; it's never explicitly stated in the remake as far as I know, but it is in the original and there's nothing in the remake that I know of that says it isn't. They go through their whole adventure and manage to escape town on the morning of the 30th.

Hunk finds his way back to the sewers beneath the RPD at some point after Leon and Claire have been through, and escapes. In the original version, it was probably meant to be the night of the 30th; in the remake, since Nighthawk tells him the bombing's inbound, it could as easily be after midnight on the 1st.

Jill wakes up at night on October 1st, which is stated in her inner monologue, after Carlos gives her the reagent from the Raccoon Hospital. She and Carlos escape with Barry at dawn, right as Raccoon City is bombed.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Vakal posted:

According to the RE wiki:

RE3 begins Sept. 26th (opening cutscene)
Jill spends the 27th and 28th working with Carlos and co. To get to the clock tower; she gets stabbed by Nemesis and falls unconscious for like, three days.

Sept. 29th-30th is when Leon and Claire go through everything and escape

Oct. 1st is Carlos creating the vaccine, curing Jill and them navigating through the factory and escaping.

As to why it's always night time... :shrug: better atmosphere? (Maybe a limitation on the PS1?)

E:FB

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Finished Leon A hardcore S+, so I unlocked every infinite weapon except the infinite knife. Is there a nice little map of all the Mr Raccoons? Gonna run through on Assisted with the infinite minigun to do the No Healing achievement alongside it

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Wanderer posted:

Hunk finds his way back to the sewers beneath the RPD at some point after Leon and Claire have been through, and escapes. In the original version, it was probably meant to be the night of the 30th; in the remake, since Nighthawk tells him the bombing's inbound, it could as easily be after midnight on the 1st.

The Hunk scenario is the only thing in the remake that is kind of sketchy since they added the G-adult flesh pit in the sewers which suggests that Birkin had been running around impregnating random people for quite awhile.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Wanderer posted:

As far as I know, there are two. One's in the "hiding places" spot in the RPD press room, and the other's in the bioreactor room where you fight William.

There’s at least one more: on the counter in the NEST cafeteria.

And I think another in the server room.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 10, 2019

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Vakal posted:

The Hunk scenario is the only thing in the remake that is kind of sketchy since they added the G-adult flesh pit in the sewers which suggests that Birkin had been running around impregnating random people for quite awhile.

Hunk's scenario has always been sketchy. You're probably better off assuming that it's only canonical in its broadest possible strokes, because otherwise, you have to ask where he was for a week, why there are at least two more Mr. Xs running around the RPD, and who the hell put up all those new barricades everywhere.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Wanderer posted:

Hunk's scenario has always been sketchy. You're probably better off assuming that it's only canonical in its broadest possible strokes, because otherwise, you have to ask where he was for a week, why there are at least two more Mr. Xs running around the RPD, and who the hell put up all those new barricades everywhere.

Those sewers are really confusing OK!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

In Training posted:

Finished Leon A hardcore S+, so I unlocked every infinite weapon except the infinite knife. Is there a nice little map of all the Mr Raccoons? Gonna run through on Assisted with the infinite minigun to do the No Healing achievement alongside it

You're better off using a video, also some of the Raccoons can only be found in Leon's game and some only in Claire's game, also, there's also one cheeky one outside in the bushes at the beginning of the B game. So to get them all, you're looking at 3 partial playthroughs.