Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

These are examples of other Mr.X in the middle of Capcom's 'give us money we don't give a gently caress' phase of churning out endless REs

Don't forget this logical-next-step of turning the wall of death into a mobile tank and weapons platform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Are there any significant differences between handguns?

I found one with a laser sight and 13 capacity mag which is great because I kept running out of ammo when using the revolver.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CJacobs posted:

Well my point is, the specific Mr X that chases Leon and Claire around is an iconic dude.

Is he really though? I thought in the original he's hardly in the game being segregated to certain runs and rooms and he just served as a rehash of the RE1 Tyrant when fought as a boss.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

These are examples of other Mr.X in the middle of Capcom's 'give us money we don't give a gently caress' phase of churning out endless REs

What the hell is this from?

I'm doing my Claire A Hardcore run trying to get the S+. At this point I've saved right before Mr. X shows up and I just picked up the semi-auto pistol she gets. Should I just completely drop the revolver Claire starts out with? It's small clip size is becoming super annoying to deal with.

Also, several times in this run I've had to put in more than 5 shots into a zombie's leg to get it to come off. Kinda dumb that you have to reload as Claire just to get a leg off and that can cost you a run. Dumb RNG poo poo at it's finest.

edit: The same question was just asked above, what are the chances.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

s.i.r.e. posted:

Umbrella Chronicles, I think. The first rail shooter on Wii.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is he really though? I thought in the original he's hardly in the game being segregated to certain runs and rooms and he just served as a rehash of the RE1 Tyrant when fought as a boss.

To answer your first question, in the original not at all. He's just kind of a cool extra for the B scenario, and completely overshadowed by Nemesis.

However, in the Remake, he's become an icon. He's spawned hundreds of memes, he's mentioned in every review, he's by far the most memorable character in the entire game. So I think that players will have an attachment to him that they wouldn't have to the original version.

To answer your second question, those two tyrants are bosses in Umbrella Chronicles, the Wii/PS3 rail shooter that partially recapped the series and partially showed the DOWNFALL OF UMBRELLA we'd been waiting on forever.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm doing my Claire A Hardcore run trying to get the S+. At this point I've saved right before Mr. X shows up and I just picked up the semi-auto pistol she gets. Should I just completely drop the revolver Claire starts out with? It's small clip size is becoming super annoying to deal with.

Yes, totally. It's just 100% better.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The laser sight and clip size is nice, but I just let it be a sewer layover until the labs; the upgraded revolver does some serious hurt and gets the hi-grade bonus ammo, plus the fact that the curse of Revolver Ocelot is sometimes too powerful to resist

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Black August posted:

The laser sight and clip size is nice, but I just let it be a sewer layover until the labs; the upgraded revolver does some serious hurt and gets the hi-grade bonus ammo, plus the fact that the curse of Revolver Ocelot is sometimes too powerful to resist

I completely forgot about the high grade ammo, I think I'd stockpile that for the end game. But are you talking about the B game revolver, because I can't get it? Isn't that what Revolver Ocelot has?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Re: timeline chat which I missed because I was asleep - keep in mind that when you end 2nd story it's morning, and before leading into the credits the DJ voiceover puts on a new record to get your blood pumping on this boring Wednesday. Looking at a September 1998 calendar that could very well be the 30th, which would mean the game took place on Tuesday the 29th overnight just like the original.

Also for RE3 - Jill very early on establishes that it's September 28th - daylight. It's probably not easy to tell because A) it's ostensibly been raining since the 29th so it's probably very cloudy and B) half the city's on fire. FWIW on the title screen and some box art the sky is cloudy with sun shafts peaking through.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

I completely forgot about the high grade ammo, I think I'd stockpile that for the end game. But are you talking about the B game revolver, because I can't get it? Isn't that what Revolver Ocelot has?

I mean both honestly but no, Claire's base revolver is also fun for reloads, and more importantly, the speedloader and high power frame makes it an ace endgame handgun with basic ammo as well as the high grade stuff that makes it a pseudo-magnum, when I hit labs I toss the browning away and just use the upgraded revolver with my massive 9mm stockpile

Phobos Anomaly
Jul 23, 2018

WaltherFeng posted:

Are there any significant differences between handguns?

I found one with a laser sight and 13 capacity mag which is great because I kept running out of ammo when using the revolver.

SLS 60: Claire's starting handgun. Terrible capacity, reload and steady time. Difficult to use until you get the reloader upgrade. Drop it as soon as you get the JMB. Can be upgraded later to fire magnum rounds, which are useful against G-types.
JMB Hp3: Greater capacity. Laser sight removes steady time completely.
Quickdraw Army: Claire's B game handgun. Fairly strong. Almost zero recoil. Decent steady time. Horrible reload time and capacity, so it's important to make your shots count.

Matilda: Leon's starting handgun. Good all-rounder. Upgrades for clip size and recoil. Incredible once you get the stock upgrade to reduce steady time.
M19: Leon's B game handgun. Slightly weaker than Claire's Quickdraw, but much faster reload time.

Chris's SE: Very accurate, very weak.
Jill's SE: Very accurate, increased crit chance on headshots.
Wesker's SE: More powerful all round, terrible steady time.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I skipped the past like four pages of thread because I was too busy playing video games, but I'm here to drop some more "RE2 is a weird as poo poo game" info

Claire runs faster in Caution than she does at Fine or Danger. Leon does not.

now this I'm almost certain is an accident but still what.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I dunno, like I said there were times where the 5 shots in the Revolver didn't take out a leg and the zombie got too close for comfort because even with the speedloader it takes too long. With certain stubborn legs taking up to 7 shots, I want to be able to dump what I can without reloading.

Phobos Anomaly posted:

SLS 60: Claire's starting handgun. Terrible capacity, reload and steady time. Difficult to use until you get the reloader upgrade. Drop it as soon as you get the JMB. Can be upgraded later to fire magnum rounds, which are useful against G-types.
JMB Hp3: Greater capacity. Laser sight removes steady time completely.
Quickdraw Army: Claire's B game handgun. Fairly strong. Almost zero recoil. Decent steady time. Horrible reload time and capacity, so it's important to make your shots count.

Matilda: Leon's starting handgun. Good all-rounder. Upgrades for clip size and recoil. Incredible once you get the stock upgrade to reduce steady time.
M19: Leon's B game handgun. Slightly weaker than Claire's Quickdraw, but much faster reload time.

Chris's SE: Very accurate, very weak.
Jill's SE: Very accurate, increased crit chance on headshots.
Wesker's SE: More powerful all round, terrible steady time.

Well, guess that settles it.

sigher fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 10, 2019

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

I dunno, like I said there were times where the 5 shots in the Revolver didn't take out a leg and the zombie got too close for comfort because even with the speedloader it takes too long.

live dangerously

bleed with style

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

There should be a Claire-only achievement and unlock for using the Quickdraw to shoot X's hat off with a less-than-second draw time to fire

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Phobos Anomaly posted:

Yeah, that reload has led to a few brown trouser moments.

https://i.imgur.com/m5DfDwb.mp4

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Lord Ludikrous posted:

EXHILARATING

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I skipped the past like four pages of thread because I was too busy playing video games, but I'm here to drop some more "RE2 is a weird as poo poo game" info

Claire runs faster in Caution than she does at Fine or Danger. Leon does not.

now this I'm almost certain is an accident but still what.

Yeah the shotgunless speedruns are gonna be a real trip(it's probably faster to skip the shotgun/GL in RPD) because the shotgun significantly reduced the RNG in leon's game.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Finished Uiro-Mochi this morning, netting me the Raccoon City Native record. Some thoughts about Tofu survivor:

At first I thought starting with Tofu was silly because it would be the hardest but in hindsight this is a really bit of clever gameplay design - Tofu makes you learn the route and the dodges with plenty of knives to get you through, and you take that knowledge and apply it to the other Tofu's you unlock, with their different loadouts to compensate. Very well put together for a bonus mode.

I got Anin Tofu on my third try and honestly it was a blur. Funnily enough I finished on Fine thanks to his stockpile of herbs. I do recall using my knife on the Misty in the sewer dog room and having to retrieve it since I knew I'd need it for the courtyard Ivy. That room is pretty awful on everyone except Flan and maybe Konjac. Sure Flan has a minigun but her body actually obscures a good chunk of the screen when you aim which makes hitting dogs a pain.

Now just to wait for the DLC.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
For my first play through I did Claire A on hardcore and was having trouble making time for Leon B. Finally managed to finish it with a whole lot of ammo left at the end. I thought I was being smart by never using the magnum, having over a hundred handgun rounds, and saving two rockets for the final fight. That fight was underwhelming to say the least.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The feeling of slamming a long silver bullet into a well greased chamber.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it's weird there aren't any references to Tyrants being mass-produced; would have liked a small cutscene like in the original where you see a chopper with 6 or 7 tanks ready to deploy more. Also I'm in the lab on Claire B and there hasn't been any mention/files that talk about either the multiplicity of them or the little dart thing in his head so I'm gonna assume the latter is just an easter egg with no explanation

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

it's weird there aren't any references to Tyrants being mass-produced; would have liked a small cutscene like in the original where you see a chopper with 6 or 7 tanks ready to deploy more. Also I'm in the lab on Claire B and there hasn't been any mention/files that talk about either the multiplicity of them or the little dart thing in his head so I'm gonna assume the latter is just an easter egg with no explanation

Yeah the only thing that mentions him at all is the file Ben has and even that's just him theorizing that a tyrant is loose to clean up witnesses, which is presumably the case since Capcom got rid of the obsession with the locket. There's not really any avenue to reveal more since the lab techs at the end would have been panicking about what's actually happening in the lab and the tyrant or tyrants are supposed to have been sent by other parts of Umbrella anyway.

Personally I prefer the potential that there are multiple ones on the loose so I tend to lean towards that idea and that some version/amalgamation of Claire and Leon's playthroughs is what ultimately happens, the only reason you have to do all the key poo poo as both is a gameplay abstraction because that's the entirety of that first chunk of the game and expanding that out to two entirely different playthroughs with their own suite of puzzles and unique environments would have been more expensive than Capcom wanted to spend. They might have initially wanted to and scaled it back as something wasn't working or the scope got lessened, I'm pretty happy with what we got personally.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 10, 2019

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Wanderer posted:

As far as I know, there are two. One's in the "hiding places" spot in the RPD press room, and the other's in the bioreactor room where you fight William.

There's a spark shot pick up right when you enter the food court on the left hand side table.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

DLC Inc posted:

The remake has pretty much been largely made with the presumption that players generally know some of the backstory, but also because it's just the second game in the series, it kept a lot of the lore elements barebones. The design and manufacture behind the T-103 series (that Mr. X comes from) was fleshed out in later games such as Code Veronica and Gun Survivor.

Like for example a lot of us know about the limiters on the Tyrants, it's just a nice little easter egg for those who recognize the little contraption in Mr. X's temple.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Good morning https://twitter.com/FlyboyVideo/status/1094620313214693376

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along
Going to try for an S rating on standard. Are there any GOON APPROVED youtubes that play through it?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

DLC Inc posted:

I like how 'Operation Raccoon City' implied that Wolf Pack or whoever they were, were completely abandoned by Umbrella for some indeterminate time and they spent that time killing loads and loads of Tyrants airdropped into the city... in addition to untold numbers of U.S. Soldiers.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

s.i.r.e. posted:

I dunno, like I said there were times where the 5 shots in the Revolver didn't take out a leg and the zombie got too close for comfort because even with the speedloader it takes too long. With certain stubborn legs taking up to 7 shots, I want to be able to dump what I can without reloading.

In spots where it's a big concern you can try aiming at feet. A single foot is removed in 1-4 shots (I tested on rank 8, but HC is probably the same). It's a little less ammo efficient on average if you want a full knockdown or a kill, but you can use the stagger when the first one comes off to reload and/or set up your shots on the other one.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

DeadButDelicious posted:

Finished Uiro-Mochi this morning, netting me the Raccoon City Native record. Some thoughts about Tofu survivor:

At first I thought starting with Tofu was silly because it would be the hardest but in hindsight this is a really bit of clever gameplay design - Tofu makes you learn the route and the dodges with plenty of knives to get you through, and you take that knowledge and apply it to the other Tofu's you unlock, with their different loadouts to compensate. Very well put together for a bonus mode.

I got Anin Tofu on my third try and honestly it was a blur. Funnily enough I finished on Fine thanks to his stockpile of herbs. I do recall using my knife on the Misty in the sewer dog room and having to retrieve it since I knew I'd need it for the courtyard Ivy. That room is pretty awful on everyone except Flan and maybe Konjac. Sure Flan has a minigun but her body actually obscures a good chunk of the screen when you aim which makes hitting dogs a pain.

Now just to wait for the DLC.

I ended up just using Flan's flash grenade on the sewer bridge since I felt like the minigun doesn't put down the dogs fast enough, and she only has one "health bar" to work with.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I got stressed just watching that.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
Someone has actually modded in DMX into RE2 for the Tyrant. This is fantastic news.

Who else is pleased that this is actually a thing? I am going to install it :D

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Just how much poo poo happened in Raccoon City anyway? It took the franchise years to move on from that one week in that one City in 1998, and they still revisit it in crappy spinoffs.

I noticed that those sheriffs in the gas station knew nothing about zombies, which begs the question how Raccoon City was quarantined if Leon and Claire could drive right in.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Going to try for an S rating on standard. Are there any GOON APPROVED youtubes that play through it?

I am as narcissus gazing into the reflecting pool, aka I love promoting my own stuff, so here are my S+ runs of Leon and Claire's stories:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3f6HcvMmjQ
(note that I am incorrect early on in this video about when the timer is running- it pauses during cutscenes, stays running during interactions with objects and inventory management)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKIHOrXXLXE

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 10, 2019

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Completed a second run of Claire A in 03:00:14 netting me an S rank. Considering my first ever playthrough was Claire and that I got a C with a completion time of over 8 and a half hours I'm pretty pleased with that result. Probably going to have a shot at hardcore mode in the same scenario next as I had a ton of ammo left over (didn't even use the sparkshot), doubt I can manage S+ but if I can even finish the game in hardcore I'll be pretty pleased.

Probably already been said but I'm playing on a normal PS4 and you can use the knife to significantly speed up the fight against G1 right at the very start, it just wont be enough to actually kill him before he grabs you and forces you to switch to normal weapons.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What's the recommended path to get to the first typewriter in the B campaign?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
When can we buy a DLC to give us unlimited weapons? I'm so bad at games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What's the recommended path to get to the first typewriter in the B campaign?

The first typewriter is in the break room. It's right there when you go inside.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CJacobs posted:

(note that I am incorrect early on in this video about when the timer is running- it pauses during cutscenes, stays running during interactions with objects and inventory management)

I figured this out the hard way 15 minutes into the game when I picked an item up and left the room for 2 hours. C rank 11 hours.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Realtalk though, anyone else notice that most of the zombies have poo poo blood into their pants? Most of the fat ones seem to have at least lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Playing hunk, almost to the exit. "lol mfers think this is hard?" Of course the main entrance is barred and I get hit 45 times in the library and die in the waiting room.

I'm gonna go all out and try for S+ hc so I can unlock everything except the mini gun. This should be Funinfuriating