Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Fake RE rumors: At one point Capcom was developing a Saturn port of Resident Evil 3 that would have had a new 'extreme' difficulty that would have featured a golden Nemesis who had the ability to briefly turn invisible and fire his rocket launcher twice as fast. It was cancelled due to budget reasons as well as the Saturn's decline in popularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

drat. Guess I'll stick with my DC copy until it hits Steam or something

If you have a decent PC then emulating the GC version through Dolphin is probably the best way to play it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Contingency Plan posted:

Fake RE rumors: At one point Capcom was developing a Saturn port of Resident Evil 3 that would have had a new 'extreme' difficulty that would have featured a golden Nemesis who had the ability to briefly turn invisible and fire his rocket launcher twice as fast. It was cancelled due to budget reasons as well as the Saturn's decline in popularity.

The timeframe on that doesn't sound right at all. By the time RE3 was in production, in mid- to late 1998, they'd have been talking about developing it strictly for the Japanese market, on a system that was notoriously sort of crap at 3D.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Wanderer posted:

The timeframe on that doesn't sound right at all. By the time RE3 was in production, in mid- to late 1998, they'd have been talking about developing it strictly for the Japanese market, on a system that was notoriously sort of crap at 3D.

It's a joke, based on how the Saturn version of the game had a Battle Mode where you fight a Golden Tyrant at the end.
(It also had zombie Wesker and a second Tyrant who shows up to fight you in the lab battle. It was the Dark Souls of its time!)

Empere
Dec 30, 2008
So I finally got around to trying to speed run this game after beating it the normal way. I’m trying to do a Claire S+ run and I just died to the bus zombie within spitting distance of the Orphanage and my second save.

In short gently caress dogs. :argh:

I both hate and love this game. Back to flailing at G1 with my knives.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Empere posted:

So I finally got around to trying to speed run this game after beating it the normal way. I’m trying to do a Claire S+ run and I just died to the bus zombie within spitting distance of the Orphanage and my second save.

In short gently caress dogs. :argh:

I both hate and love this game. Back to flailing at G1 with my knives.

I died to the gator so hah

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
RE2 PC version is going for £29 including the pre-order DLC on CDkeys. It's part of a flash sale so only for today I think. Site is legit - they buy boxed copies in bulk then sell the keys.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

I never speedrun, or go for time attacks or anything like that. Yet here I am, going for that S+ Hardcore.

Hahahahaha same, I keep going back just to purely dick around with zombies in different situations and I find different details or engagements that I never noticed the first time

The last few playthroughs I've skipped the cutscenes but I'm just gonna go back and enjoy the entire thing at a normal pace again because it's just that superb

I think I said it before but that scene with Kendo is unusually well done for a fuckin zombie video game, and I'm stoked to see where the series goes from here, whether it's a Nemesis remake or just 8

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Good soup! posted:

Hahahahaha same, I keep going back just to purely dick around with zombies in different situations and I find different details or engagements that I never noticed the first time

The last few playthroughs I've skipped the cutscenes but I'm just gonna go back and enjoy the entire thing at a normal pace again because it's just that superb

I think I said it before but that scene with Kendo is unusually well done for a fuckin zombie video game, and I'm stoked to see where the series goes from here, whether it's a Nemesis remake or just 8

The Kendo scene is probably one of the best bits of writing and acting in the game. And that's saying something considering the writing and acting are fantastic across the board.

More horror games need this level of care put into them god drat.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Thanks for your corrections on source control and remakes- I'm learning a lot!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Question IRL posted:

It's a joke, based on how the Saturn version of the game had a Battle Mode where you fight a Golden Tyrant at the end.
(It also had zombie Wesker and a second Tyrant who shows up to fight you in the lab battle. It was the Dark Souls of its time!)

What the hell? How did Zombie Wesker fit into it? Was he just wandering around after he gets "killed" by Tyrant?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

s.i.r.e. posted:

What the hell? How did Zombie Wesker fit into it? Was he just wandering around after he gets "killed" by Tyrant?

He shows up in the Battle Mode as a zombie amongst a horde of zombies. In fact you are completely likely to not notice him while you are killing the whole bunch of zombies.

As far as I'm aware it's non cannon. Just like the Golden Tyrant.
Or the Ticks. A reskinned Hunter that show up in the underground tunnels in place of the Hunters.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw94Tiy9V1k

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

joylessdivision posted:

The Kendo scene is probably one of the best bits of writing and acting in the game. And that's saying something considering the writing and acting are fantastic across the board.

More horror games need this level of care put into them god drat.

the desperation when he goes "stop, wait" when ada points the gun at his girl :smith:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i am a very bad shot in video games and so i am grateful that the dogs were limited to one section, because i hated every minute of their presence

parasite eve already gave me a sinking feeling around police station kennels, this wasn't much better

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Just be thankful they left the crows out.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Decided to just tromp through CV some more on PS4 (thanks for the replies, all!) and got to the second big chapter and...it kinda sucks! The glowing purple poison hunters don’t help things much but both Chris and Claire feel like they’re made out of tissue paper and my guns are all feeble pea shooters.

I’m debating how much I want to restart, though Chris’ section kinda is a big reminder that even on a mostly fresh start I’m not particularly enjoying it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

at this point i just shotgun dogs. you have enough shells and dogs are annoying as poo poo to track if you don't get the initial stun from your handgun shots.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I'm as big of a CVX detractor as they come but I think you can get a shotgun and AK as Chris which evens things out a bit.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I'm as big of a CVX detractor as they come but I think you can get a shotgun and AK as Chris which evens things out a bit.

I got his SMGs and got the shotgun, yeah, but it doesn’t seem like enough. Claire’s chapter kept me at next to no resources the whole time too, so maybe I’m just not being stingy enough or something.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I received my copy of RE2 today but they sent me the European edition for some reason (even though I ordered the American one and some other stuff from America and all that stuff was correct). I'm not worried about cut content but will the game accept American add-ons and DLC? I was considering picking up the noir outfits since I've got $10 just sitting around from a free promotion forever ago.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

no, DLC needs to match the region of the disc

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I'm finished both A campaigns and now I'm on Claire B. The G1 fight is stupidly easy with a couple hand grenades and the upgraded SMG. You toss a grenade to stagger him, open fire on his weak point with the SMG, and then rinse / repeat when he finally breaks stagger. I don't think he moved more than 10 feet from where I started engaging him, and the fight was over in about 30 seconds.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

no, DLC needs to match the region of the disc
Well shucks, that's lame. Thanks for the heads up before I dropped any extra cash on it.

Hopefully being cross-region doesn't interfere with the updates.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Bad Seafood posted:

Well shucks, that's lame. Thanks for the heads up before I dropped any extra cash on it.

Hopefully being cross-region doesn't interfere with the updates.

Can you get a refund / exchange?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Looking into that as well, but I already opened it so we'll see. It arrived in a package with a few other things obscuring it so I didn't immediately notice it wasn't the US version until I took a closer look at the case.

I might've been more careful but this isn't a problem I ever expected to have. I presumed the (accredited) US-based seller shipping out of the US would sell the US version.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Finished Leon A for the first time. What a great game. The hardest bit for me was the Birkin boss where you have to hit him with a shipping container twice. I eventually figured out that you could knife him to make him stunned for long enough. Before that, kiting him and running around was really hard.. I also seem to have missed at least one key. The only safe I know I missed was one safe in the sewer, but I missed some sewer items and because of the key, some rooms in the police station.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

redreader posted:

Finished Leon A for the first time. What a great game. The hardest bit for me was the Birkin boss where you have to hit him with a shipping container twice. I eventually figured out that you could knife him to make him stunned for long enough. Before that, kiting him and running around was really hard.. I also seem to have missed at least one key. The only safe I know I missed was one safe in the sewer, but I missed some sewer items and because of the key, some rooms in the police station.

leon and claire both have parts of the police station they can't get in to, so you didn't miss out on anything there with leon.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Leon and Claire only get three of the suit keys each, if that's what you mean. You'll see the rest when you play as Claire.

e: you'll kick yourself when you find the combination for the sewer safe :laugh:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

at this point i just shotgun dogs. you have enough shells and dogs are annoying as poo poo to track if you don't get the initial stun from your handgun shots.

I just run past them. If you're moving at an angle they'll just stupidly leap past you 90% of the time, I thought they would be like lickers and catch you easily but they're pretty harmless

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I was nervous the whole Kendo scene that they’d do the cheapo horror moment of “parent cradles infected child who turns and bites them and it’s a big aaaa thing” but Capcom has rediscovered self-control!

I finally got Gunslinger! It probably took me like 30 tries, half of which I ragequit ten zombies in when I missed a few handgun shots, until I was in the mid-80s, up to my rear end, and one explosive pack guy seemed to take out ten at once. Couple of easy spark shots later and I was doooooone, 100%! I’m thinking of loaning the game to a friend now so he can enjoy it too.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

They pulled a similar trick with Marvin. He gets to spend his remaining time (mostly) in peace.

I just realized that I've been ignoring him completely on speed runs.

Im sorry Marvin : (

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Does the Quickdraw army kinda suck? I swear it's taking 2-3 more bullets than Claire's 9mm options to take zombie legs off. Plus it adds another inventory element to juggle if you want to use gunpowder to make 9mm ammo in addition to using the .45 you find for the Quickdraw.

EDIT: According to the damage chart, it does more damage than her 9mm guns. So I'm guessing the zombs just have more HP on the second run.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 18, 2019

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

It is significantly more powerful than the standard handgun. The only drawback is that it can't use a speedloader, and thus loads much more slowly.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

il serpente cosmico posted:

Does the Quickdraw army kinda suck? I swear it's taking 2-3 more bullets than Claire's 9mm options to take zombie legs off. Plus it adds another inventory element to juggle if you want to use gunpowder to make 9mm ammo in addition to using the .45 you find for the Quickdraw.

EDIT: According to the damage chart, it does more damage than her 9mm guns. So I'm guessing the zombs just have more HP on the second run.

Honestly I would just forget leg shots. The revolver is strong enough to take out zombies with fewer bullets than the 9mm as long as you focus your shots.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i idiotically missed the knife in the east hallway wall during claire's b-run so i wasted entirely too much ammo on the gangrenous calves of the undead

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Claire's B side revolver is fantastic for rapid fire shots to instantly body any zombie. The downside there is that you burn through a lot of ammo doing so, but its crazy strong.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

OK, I generally try to conserve ammo by taking out a leg and then finishing with a knife. It sounds like I should have been aiming for the ol' noggin' with it?

ChaosArgate posted:

Claire's B side revolver is fantastic for rapid fire shots to instantly body any zombie. The downside there is that you burn through a lot of ammo doing so, but its crazy strong.

I keep accidentally firing two shots instead of one. Its rate of fire is very fast, indeed.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 18, 2019

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

I keep accidentally firing two shots instead of one. It's rate of fire is very fast, indeed.

I consider its RoF a downside, honestly. You will burn through ammo in no time if you're not careful.

In general I don't like that the B runs sort of force you into using the new handguns unless you want to spend gunpowder on old ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

OK, I generally try to conserve ammo by taking out a leg and then finishing with a knife. It sounds like I should have been aiming for the ol' noggin' with it?

I'd actually argue against headshots unless you're VERY good at aiming. The only difference between a headshot and a body shot is a chance for a critical headsplosion. They both do the same amount of regular damage, so if you're aiming to drop a zombie, there's not that much reason to not just unload on center mass. It's a bit tough to get used to after being so used to carefully maintaining ammo, but I found it most useful as a close-range gently caress you.