Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I feel like a resident evil game where knowing the maps is important has lost its way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
It's a multiplayer game. Unless you expect absolute procedural generation, that's just a thing that happens.

Unfortunately, Resistance has the opposite problem that Dead by Daylight has, by actually making the mode somewhat balanced.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

LostRook posted:

It's a multiplayer game. Unless you expect absolute procedural generation, that's just a thing that happens.
Can't really argue with that. This is pretty much just how it goes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This game came out super frickin' fast.

Is it actually good and complete?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Look, you want to win as survivor in Resistance? Here's a quick off the top of my head guide:

Basic teamplay stuff, stick with team use mic, etc...

As a survivor your goal is to move quickly and not lose time. How do you lose time? The biggest ways are to fall into traps and get grabbed. So make sure to keep an eye on the ground and prioritize downing zombies that are on your team, the point loss for a grab takes a second so as long as you knock of the enemy you're good. If you see an enemy spawning prioritize killing it, you get time and most of the survivors have skills that cause free stuff to spawn.

You want to have a team with 2 or 3 gun users and at least one front liner using melee. The stun time on melee is pretty extreme and it's a lot cheaper to buy repair packs than guns and ammo. Don't pickup ammo off the ground if you are melee. For guns get a single action army or the submachine gun.

Make sure to use yellow herbs/enhancing spray as it reduces damage you take by nearly half and increases damage you deal.

Always look out for supply zombies, they can swing games hard so search for them if you see one has spawned. If you kill one they drop a backpack that gives a superweapon like the minigun or rocket launcher. If you don't get killed soon enough the mastermind gets a free super card like Ivy zombie or blind everyone.

Most

The biggest problem people seem to have is kill rooms, but there is plenty of counter play to them. Explosives, Tyrone's fever skill, all of Jan's skills or simply backing out and picking of zombies one by one.

You want play as mastermind in practice mode and by playing with the map presets. The mastermind can only place the the keys in certain spots, have a general idea where they are. Also, learn how each Mastermind works and how to counter play them.

Annette: Second weakest mastermind. Principle is to flood the map, and throw down buffs, Ultimate is G-Birkin. As long as you know how to beat kill rooms you should be fine. When G-Birkin spawns just run from him. Make sure to buy flash grenades and other explosives to stun him if you get caught in a dead end, he's not worth killing. If he's focusing you your team hopefully will be completing all the objectives in the meantime.

Alex: Weakest Mastermind. Principle is to either place a lot of traps or poison. Ultimate is Yateveo. Buy blue herbs to cure poison and that won't be much to worry about. She has a card that lets her place 3 mines at one which can be very dangerous as that can down a survivor instantly, but as long as you watch for traps it shouldn't be an issue. For Yateveo the counterplay is fire or just leaving it alone until it despawns. Her ultimate is unique of the 3 monster ones in that she can stop controlling them to do other stuff then take control back, so watch out if it goes transparent, she's doing other stuff. If she's a high level Alex she can self destruct the Yateveo without eating anyone, so absolutely give it a wide berth.

Daniel: Strongest Mastermind after level 14. Principle is to play large cost units and take control of them. Ultimate is Mr. X. At level 14 he gets the ability to make zombies he controls immune to knockback, but they are still vulnerable to Tyrone's kick and Martin's stun stuff so abuse those. Daniel require the most teamwork, because zombies he control must be prioritized. Mr. X counterplay is flash grenades and stuns from Martin or Tyrone mixed with just running away. Don't go into a dead end!

Spencer: Second strongest Mastermind. Principle is locking doors and turning off lights more often mixed with gun and utility play. Ultimate is Disentigration Field. Spencer will be constantly trying to separate your team and wear you down with guns. Jan, Tyrone counter him fairly hard. If he starts shooting target the camera or just get out of it's field of view. Moving serpentine also helps. Don't just stand in place. His Ult is the most dangerous if used well. If you see a red wall starting to form get away ASAP and wait it out. It will kill you in two-three ticks so you won't beat it. Just stay calm and wait.

The survivors:

Jan: One of the most frustrating if played well. Pop her fever skill at all times possible, except the very end of round 1 or 2. When either of her fever skills activate the mastermind pretty much cannot act for 15 seconds which feels like forever. Also, make sure to use your regular skill when engaging a kill room or objective to blind the mastermind. The mastermind will have little recourse for a good 15 seconds. Her later skill that let's her buy special weapons is a nightmare to handle.

Tyrone: Another very strong survivor. His fireman kick can stun pretty much all enemies. G-Birkin grabbing an ally? Fireman kick. Daniel Fabron immune to knockback? Fireman kick. It has a 9 second cooldown so use it often. His fever skill drastically reduces the damage he and nearby allies take for quite a while. One shot from the machine gun does 50 damage normally, that is reduced to 10 damage with his skill. That means a full burst from the machine gun should no longer be fatal. Excellent skill to use prior to kill rooms or when in danger.

Val: Her radar is quite helpful for knowing what's in the room ahead, and her fever skill is amazing. Too many people only use her team heal at the end of a round. It can revive an entirely downed team. If you combine it with Tyrone's you can go toe to toe with just about anything.

Becca: The offensive power house. With a single action army and her fever skill and regular skill she can bring down a bio-tub in round 3 on her own in seconds. Give her a minigun and you've probably won. I've won about half my games playing with her.

Martin: Trap guy. The stungun works on pretty much everything, but it does have a wind up, don't use it on Mr. X unless he's holding someone. Placing a trap outside a kill room generally makes it very easy to clear as it will hold zombies in place for ages.

Sam: I've never seen him do anything worthwhile.

The biggest problem with the game is how much of this stuff is not explained, really.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 5, 2020

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

LostRook posted:

I've played a lot of Mastermind, in my experience the mode is actually fairly balanced. People are just bad and don't know the maps, use the survivor abilities or use any counterplay.

I've played a fair amount of survivor as well. If you have a decent team you should roll over the Mastermind.

Yeah a survivor team with Jan or Martin that actually keep using their abilities hinders the Mastermind and rack up a lot of time.

On the other hand it takes just one dum dum on the survivor team to keep wandering around and dying and not coming to the exit asap to set back the survivor team a lot.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 5, 2020

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
It's the fundamental problem with asymmetric multiplayer games.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

NikkolasKing posted:

depends on if you get irrationally upset about things like the park from the original that's 3 rooms long and takes 30 seconds to run through not being in the game, lol

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Would Left4Dead count as an asymmetric multiplayer game? I've been kind of thinking about why that one seemed to just work a lot better for me than games like Dead by Daylight do, and I suppose a big part of it is that the antagonist role was largely run by an AI director who was impartial, relatively predictable and (unlike a real person) not dead-set on winning at all costs no matter how lovely it makes your own experience.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
There's a strong "get yelled at by a nerd for making a mistake" component to playing as survivor too that I'm sure players are just gonna love

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Dr. Abysmal posted:

There's a strong "get yelled at by a nerd for making a mistake" component to playing as survivor too that I'm sure players are just gonna love

anecdotally, everyone I’ve interacted with has been chill and isn’t taking losses too seriously. it feels more like a party game than a competitive one: more Friday the 13th than Dead by Daylight

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

NikkolasKing posted:

It was in development for about as long as the RE2make

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Although by an unrelated third-party studio that had nothing to do with the development of either RE2make or RE3make, so take that with a grain of salt.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Cardiovorax posted:

Would Left4Dead count as an asymmetric multiplayer game? I've been kind of thinking about why that one seemed to just work a lot better for me than games like Dead by Daylight do, and I suppose a big part of it is that the antagonist role was largely run by an AI director who was impartial, relatively predictable and (unlike a real person) not dead-set on winning at all costs no matter how lovely it makes your own experience.

Left 4 Dead suffered from the same problem in that after a while, you noticed that the game was really survivor based, especially if you played just normal regular versus mode. Working your rear end off to down survivors only to have them get tons of medkits was annoying as hell.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I was speaking more generally there, but point. Then again, I suppose survivors in that game had to be annoyingly durable, if you wanted to make them have a fair chance of running through and surviving multiple maps against enemy players. I was never quite sure if I was supposed to take wins as only really per-map or pre-campaign, in that sense.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

I was speaking more generally there, but point. Then again, I suppose survivors in that game had to be annoyingly durable, if you wanted to make them have a fair chance of running through and surviving multiple maps against enemy players. I was never quite sure if I was supposed to take wins as only really per-map or pre-campaign, in that sense.

I always preferred realism versus over the original because it at least balanced things a bit more towards the infected and didn't make it feel as frustrating.

For me, Friday the 13th and Zombie Master were my favorite asymmetrical games. Zombie Master had the zombie master winning most times but it was hilarious fun all the same. Friday the 13th is the same way.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Bonaventure posted:

anecdotally, everyone I’ve interacted with has been chill and isn’t taking losses too seriously. it feels more like a party game than a competitive one: more Friday the 13th than Dead by Daylight

Yeah. People seem to be taking complaints from similar games and assuming they apply here.

I haven’t had anyone intentionally throw a game. I’ve had like two level one survivors that were incompetent enough that you might consider it sabotage. I’ve had one person complain on mic about other players being slow. Everybody else is just playing the game with various levels of skill.

You’re most likely to lose during the third round, sometimes the second round will get you, and sometimes you’ll win. There’s only been maybe three or four times where the group couldn’t get their poo poo together first round.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If they had a little more faith in the idea of randomization, that part would have been a natural place to go nuts with. Alley sometimes on fire, sometimes not? Sure! Shop owner zombie dropped his keys after you shot him? Cool, you can go through the back of the shop and now you've opened a shortcut. Make the whole thing a partially randomized interconnected mess, with unscripted Nemesis playing a bigger part. Then give the player the chance to do persistent non-scripted damage to Nemesis's outfit, really let the player reduce him down to a mutant beach hunk. Do enough damage and the rocket launcher chase scene should be replaced with an angrier Nemesis just charging at Jill.

Lunethex posted:

I played Nightmare and immediately thought that's how the placements of enemies should have been the whole game.

The randomization of elements, including (presumably) enemy spawns, does really add to the experience. I hope they patch it into the game as an option from the start, because most people won't experience it.

My pet peeve is that cop zombies should drop a handful of ammo sometimes (maybe instead of having ammo just lying around on the ground). Kinda silly that they don't.

itry fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 5, 2020

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Open Marriage Night posted:

Yeah. People seem to be taking complaints from similar games and assuming they apply here.

there's a lot of people talking out of their rear end in this thread

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You all do know your anecdotal experience doesn’t trump others right.

Saying you have never experienced it is worthless unless you have played like most of all games ever

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
just finished the main campaign. initial playthrough took me longer than my initial playthrough of the RE2 remake, probably just because I died a ton.
eager to see the remixed / randomized? enemies. people saying this feels like $20 DLC are morons, this game is insanely detailed and must've cost a fortune to make.

i guess in an ideal world there would've been maybe one more hub area to break up the more linear maps in the middle, and there should've been that tentacly humanoid fight against Nemesis to replace the first dog version, but otherwise I have no complaints, it was a blast. I hated Mr. X in the RE2 remake and hate stalker gameplay in general so the amount of time he chased you in gameplay suited me fine.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

Saying you have never experienced it is worthless unless you have played like most of all games ever

ok

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I definitely don’t think you understand that.

Or your just being that goon that defends his game on launch to the death

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
my study on player interaction in Resident Evil: Resistance is awaiting peer review

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

itry posted:

The randomization of elements, including (presumably) enemy spawns, does really add to the experience. I hope they patch it into the game as an option from the start, because most people won't experience it.

My pet peeve is that cop zombies should drop a handful of ammo sometimes (maybe instead of having ammo just lying around on the ground). Kinda silly that they don't.

cops in raccoon city mostly didnt carry guns, they were originally trained in biting. that's why the outbreak was much worse than if it had happened elsewhere

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Bonaventure posted:

just finished the main campaign. initial playthrough took me longer than my initial playthrough of the RE2 remake, probably just because I died a ton.
eager to see the remixed / randomized? enemies. people saying this feels like $20 DLC are morons, this game is insanely detailed and must've cost a fortune to make.

i guess in an ideal world there would've been maybe one more hub area to break up the more linear maps in the middle, and there should've been that tentacly humanoid fight against Nemesis to replace the first dog version, but otherwise I have no complaints, it was a blast. I hated Mr. X in the RE2 remake and hate stalker gameplay in general so the amount of time he chased you in gameplay suited me fine.

Yeah, I disagree with the people who say that this doesn't amount to a full game because there is a full game's worth of content in here. But then again, I most certainly don't have a lot of love for the original and I know others do. I also don't think the Mr. X type of thing would have worked here because Nemesis is insanely more annoying than Mr. X was and is basically capable of teleporting and jumping in front of you if you try to run away. Him overstaying his welcome would be a huge annoyance.

Also, this game seems like it changes the canon even if it is a bit minor with Nicholai's apparent death

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the RE Engine just doesn't support individual item drops of that sort, at least not within a given enemy class. I don't there's any game made in that engine so far that has enemies which drop items, except for Nemesis, who's a bit of a special case.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
The first three RE games always played fast and lose with their canon anyhow. There's still no playable "canon" version of RE1, so I'm not miffed by the remakes taking liberties on certain details.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don’t care about canon either way, just wish if they cut stuff they would replace it with something

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, agreed. I don't particularly care about the early-game canon either and I think that RE1make and RE2make were all the better off for the liberties they took with it. RE3make just could've been altogether better, from a writing and pacing perspective, it has nothing to do with series continuity.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

The only complaint where someone said something happened was with the que times. The rest are “I saw a video” or just assumptions based off what happens in similar games.

I don’t care if people like it or not. All my time is going to be spent playing FFVII in a few days.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I think the biggest missed oppertunity is that you don't really get to interact with Nemesis much outside of the first hour or so. You could beat him like 7 or 8 times in the original game right? He would drop good stuff if you did. Now there is like....3 things you can get from him? Some handgun parts and some shotgun shells? I don't think you're even able to stop him when he is chasing you with the rocket launcher or the flamethrower on top of the building because every time after that is scripted to run away or you have to beat him to continue so there is no extra reward to it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Open Marriage Night posted:

The only complaint where someone said something happened was with the que times. The rest are “I saw a video” or just assumptions based off what happens in similar games.

I don’t care if people like it or not. All my time is going to be spent playing FFVII in a few days.

I mean unless you think the video is like fake or something it’s just as valid

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I already talked about the video in another post. Don’t just stand there when the mastermind is spawning a boss on you. Run. Always run.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The Shame Boy posted:

I think the biggest missed oppertunity is that you don't really get to interact with Nemesis much outside of the first hour or so. You could beat him like 7 or 8 times in the original game right? He would drop good stuff if you did. Now there is like....3 things you can get from him? Some handgun parts and some shotgun shells? I don't think you're even able to stop him when he is chasing you with the rocket launcher or the flamethrower on top of the building because every time after that is scripted to run away or you have to beat him to continue so there is no extra reward to it.

He drops 3 2 upgrades for the basic pistol. Then it's just ammo, I think.

rabidsquid posted:

cops in raccoon city mostly didnt carry guns, they were originally trained in biting. that's why the outbreak was much worse than if it had happened elsewhere

:hmmyes:

itry fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 5, 2020

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

The Shame Boy posted:

I don't think you're even able to stop him when he is chasing you with the rocket launcher or the flamethrower on top of the building because every time after that is scripted to run away or you have to beat him to continue so there is no extra reward to it.

There's four times where you can get items drop from him. You only get the item the first time you defeat him in a "segment."

1. After you turn on the power - Handgun extended mag
2. After he does the parasite zombie cutscene from the demo - Handgun moderator
3. When Jill leads him away from the train (use the barrel in the room with the vent you have to break open)- Shotgun shells
4. When he appears with the rocket launcher (grenade him when drops down next to you after the toy uncle head rolls down)- Flame rounds

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

rabidsquid posted:

ACAB (All Cops Are Biters).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Cardiovorax posted:

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the RE Engine just doesn't support individual item drops of that sort, at least not within a given enemy class. I don't there's any game made in that engine so far that has enemies which drop items, except for Nemesis, who's a bit of a special case.

Now that you mention it yeah, all the instances I can think of where you get an item "from" an enemy it's in the room separately from if the enemy is killed or not or it's a very specific one off thing like when you get the lantern from Marguerite where it doesn't really happen on screen where like enemy dies/vanishes -> drops item.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Now that you mention it yeah, all the instances I can think of where you get an item "from" an enemy it's in the room separately from if the enemy is killed or not or it's a very specific one off thing like when you get the lantern from Marguerite where it doesn't really happen on screen where like enemy dies/vanishes -> drops item.
Yeah, that one's very clearly spawned in afterwards as a special effect tied to her melting into goo and disappearing, not as a "kill drop," which is very different scripting-wise. I don't know how the engine works, of course, but from personal experience with modding and messing around in the internals of other games, it might actually just be a thing they can't easily do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
This game probably would have been received a lot better if it came out before RE2's remake. It's a whole lot of fun but there's more missing than improved on, and it really does feel more like a $40 expansion than a $60 stand-alone game.

Finished up my Hard run first because I figured I'd have to unlock the other difficulties anyway to get all the achievements and then did a sub 2 hour Assisted mode just to knock out the couple documents and bobbleheads I was missing. I hope there's some DLC for the game, it feels incomplete without a dozen costumes to pick between doing additional runs for S ranks.

The one thing I DO think they improved was the Store Shop/Unlockables. After two runs I could afford a whole lot of the shop and there's a ton of really useful stuff in there for harder difficulties (Extra hip pouches and the Lock-pick/Bolt Cutters, upgraded knife, coins & easier dodges). I haven't spent any money yet and I know I can't afford to buy more than a couple for Hardcore difficulty and I'm actually having to think about what would be most useful to make the run easier OR should I just save all the points, get one of the Infinite weapons, and then just zoom through the game and unlock everything else like in RE2 when the paid DLC for Infinite weapons came out. Sure, rushing through RE2 with the infinite rocket launcher made it trivial to unlock S ranks and all the other additional clear conditions brainless but sometimes running through the Police Dept like a Juggernaut was a lot of fun itself.