Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
umbrella is the side story. the main story is complete. global. saturation.

and then that ended in a volcano and they tried to start a new mystery up with some family pulling the strings of a weirdo stalker and then that blew up in their face and now its "the company" and whatever the deal with blue umbrella is with hints that that weskers h.c.f are/were somehow invovled.

its mainly throwing poo poo to the wall and seeing what sticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Anyway, if you want an RE game where Umbrella is taken down, I think the most appropriate thing would be to really expand the RE universe into new gameplay: Third person lawyer action. A thousand times as many files, but no combat. There's also interviews with Raccoon City survivors, as well as their final testimony in the Senate.

sounds like a phoenix wright crossover waiting to happen

my hot take is that umbrella chronicles is actually a good game (darkside not so much), tho i suppose it might be hard to play nowadays since its only on wii or ps3 if you have a move

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
they work on ps3 without move and theres always dolphin.

darkside is way better tho, feels like they put actual effort into it and is the better version of code veronica.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i found the shaky cam combined with the lovely motion blur it added to be somewhat headache inducing thats why i dont like it as much

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you could absolutely cut that stupid part of RE4 where you are just being shot by everybody and the chopper support thing happened. that part sucks rear end.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

High level resistance is a weird beast in that the aforementioned janucarry is basically uncounterable and forces you to play the game outside of where she is as a mastermind but without her an even mildly uncoordinated team can be easily destroyed in area 2.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

you could absolutely cut that stupid part of RE4 where you are just being shot by everybody and the chopper support thing happened. that part sucks rear end.

You can RPG Mike Miiiiiiiiiiike and his water tower pushing helicopter from my cold dead fingers.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Vikar Jerome posted:

umbrella is the side story. the main story is complete. global. saturation.

and then that ended in a volcano and they tried to start a new mystery up with some family pulling the strings of a weirdo stalker and then that blew up in their face and now its "the company" and whatever the deal with blue umbrella is with hints that that weskers h.c.f are/were somehow invovled.

its mainly throwing poo poo to the wall and seeing what sticks.

I think part of the reason why RE7 worked was because all of the ~evil corporation~ shenanigans were deeeeep within the periphery of the game. It didn't really matter who created Eveline, or why, because "corporations create bioweapons for profit" has been a given since the first game in the series. Instead, the story focused on what the Resident Evil universe looks like from the perspective of a relatively normal person: horror, mutation, and madness that only ends if you're lucky enough to attract the attention of a protagonist from a previous game. But even then, it's like an oil spill—the cleanup is arduous, never-ending, and things will never be able to go back to the way they were. The pollution is too deep, and there's always another accident waiting on the horizon, with more innocent lives that will be destroyed through no fault of their own. It's a sad and poignant story, and much more effective than another "gotta save the world, again" plot.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Holy moly. This final fight on Nightmare is horrible. I bought the defense coins but they don't really help with the stunlock. I've had a lot of fun with RE3 Remake but I don't think I like it enough to waste time with this.

I like a lot of the little surprises they throw in on Nightmare and wanted to see what they threw in for Inferno. I don't know that I want to learn the dodge timing for three cycles of that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Resistance Mastermind Guide

By the time I'm done reading all this the game isn't going to have any players left, lol (on PC anyway).

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I played re4 on my ps3 yesterday and got up to the castle where the first target mini game is and now I'm back in the city and wish I had my savegame, even though the last time I attempted a play through on PC I'm pretty sure thats also where I stopped. Wonder if it syncs with steam.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Jolo posted:

Holy moly. This final fight on Nightmare is horrible. I bought the defense coins but they don't really help with the stunlock. I've had a lot of fun with RE3 Remake but I don't think I like it enough to waste time with this.

I like a lot of the little surprises they throw in on Nightmare and wanted to see what they threw in for Inferno. I don't know that I want to learn the dodge timing for three cycles of that.

The tried and tested strategy of bitching about a thing online and then getting past the thing has prevailed again.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

codo27 posted:

I played re4 on my ps3 yesterday and got up to the castle where the first target mini game is and now I'm back in the city and wish I had my savegame, even though the last time I attempted a play through on PC I'm pretty sure thats also where I stopped. Wonder if it syncs with steam.

I totally forgot the target mini game,it was fun,what was the reward? Mini character statues?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Jolo posted:

Nightmare? Try Inferno if you really want some bullshit.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I finished the game. :toot:
On Standard. :confuoot:
Gonna try and S rank Standard to learn more about the game before I dive into the harder modes. It seems like every Nemesis fight if you are not acing the perfect dodges, you just eat poo poo sometimes.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

marshmallow creep posted:

I finished the game. :toot:
On Standard. :confuoot:
Gonna try and S rank Standard to learn more about the game before I dive into the harder modes. It seems like every Nemesis fight if you are not acing the perfect dodges, you just eat poo poo sometimes.

Just use the Grenade Launcher and perpetually stun lock him, save for the last battle Nemesis just eats poo poo with grenades and will always stumble around, if you shoot them too fast though he won't stagger though so you have to space out your shots.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Speaking of grenades and the grenade launcher, fire obviously is best for hunter gammas, and explosives seem great against Nemmy. Are acids for the more traditional hunters you meet in the hospital? They seemed to do okay while flame rounds did poo poo all.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I totally forgot the target mini game,it was fun,what was the reward? Mini character statues?

Mini character statues that had would play their lines with a tinny speaker filter over the top.

Oh also the target gallery was an excellent source for psetos to upgrade.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

marshmallow creep posted:

Speaking of grenades and the grenade launcher, fire obviously is best for hunter gammas, and explosives seem great against Nemmy. Are acids for the more traditional hunters you meet in the hospital? They seemed to do okay while flame rounds did poo poo all.

Yeah, the Acid shots I believe are one hit KOs on normal Hunters.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Jolo posted:

The tried and tested strategy of bitching about a thing online and then getting past the thing has prevailed again.

Congratulations!! A classic strategy pulled through.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I loaded up my PC savegame in which I've already met Ada and she is dropping me off on the boat, and you know what that means. My loadout is deplorable, I still have the stock handgun, the riot gun :negative: I let the gatling gun guy mow me down once and alt+f4'd

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

sigher posted:

By the time I'm done reading all this the game isn't going to have any players left, lol (on PC anyway).

It seems like it might stabilize with enough players to keep alive. However, it's going to be actively hostile to players who haven't ranked up, which is bad.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
You guys are making me want to install Bolt action rifle adventure evil 4 again.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

sigher posted:

Yeah, the Acid shots I believe are one hit KOs on normal Hunters.

I'd need to go check and see what people are determining about the math, but on Hunter Betas, even getting some splash damage melts off their armor, so ballistic weapons like the shotgun suddenly get a whole lot more effective. On assisted/standard, a direct hit with an acid round is usually a one-shot, but it's not entirely dependable; on hardcore and up, you usually need to follow up with a couple of shells.

Watching guys like Carcinogen break the game over their knee has really been an eye-opener for me about how some of the systems work.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

on hardcore you still need two shotgun shots after the acid round. you could PROBABLY get away with one if you were willing to let the dot keep ticking but gently caress that

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I get why they'd jump to RE4 but I was kind of hoping for a remake for Veronica. I played through that one so many times.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wanderer posted:

I'd need to go check and see what people are determining about the math, but on Hunter Betas, even getting some splash damage melts off their armor, so ballistic weapons like the shotgun suddenly get a whole lot more effective. On assisted/standard, a direct hit with an acid round is usually a one-shot, but it's not entirely dependable; on hardcore and up, you usually need to follow up with a couple of shells.

Watching guys like Carcinogen break the game over their knee has really been an eye-opener for me about how some of the systems work.

I think the Hunters might be like zombies where they have random health values so some Acid rounds take them out in one shot while others will survive the initial hit. Not sure though.

Gonna echo everyone's distaste for the Nemesis Phase 4 fight on Nightmare, it's terrible. Requiring frame perfect dodges, MHW-type roars that stun you, acid all over that can randomly stun you leading into full HP to death combos from the boss that OTG your rear end; all of the classic hallmarks of a Resident Evil bossfight.

I can't wait to do all of this again for Inferno, are the item and zombie placements the same as they are on Nightmare? God bless the MAG, no clue how you can do the last boss without it, Phase 3 is still a massive push-over with enough grenades.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I think perfect world version of a RE4 remake just adds the RE engine and gives you the sick weapon swapping that 2 and 3 have. Don't cut any lines or really change anything there, maybe make Luis playable for one area.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Skeezy posted:

I think perfect world version of a RE4 remake just adds the RE engine and gives you the sick weapon swapping that 2 and 3 have. Don't cut any lines or really change anything there, maybe make Luis playable for one area.

Don't change anything except unlock suplexes from the start, and add more kinds of suplexes. And let you suplex anything you want like Sabin.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The fact that Umbrella gets taken down off-screen by legal action is great. Four games of our heroes vowing to take the fight to Umbrella and finish things once and for all, and then the evil masterminds get taken down without any input from the main characters at all. It's perfect. What was STARS gonna do about it anyway, shoot up a board meeting? The only person who actually put their money where their mouth was and stormed Umbrella HQ was Claire, and she had absolutely no plan. She was basically just on a rampage. So Umbrella gets taken out by people who are way too boring to star in a Resident Evil game but actually know how to handle things like "lawyers" and "financial assets".

RE4 starts with Leon telling us the fight was won in the courtroom while staring out the window like a mopey teenager. He also wanted to have a gun fight with the board of directors on a burning zeppelin or whatever. It's an anticlimax used to powerful comic effect. It's great!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Zero VGS posted:

Don't change anything except unlock suplexes from the start, and add more kinds of suplexes. And let you suplex anything you want like Sabin.
This but unironically. I want Leon to be even more of a hilarious action man.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cardiovorax posted:

This but unironically. I want Leon to be even more of a hilarious action man.

Here's a video of Hunk breaking 84 necks in 8 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl89iEOqNxY

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Zero VGS posted:

Here's a video of Hunk breaking 84 necks in 8 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl89iEOqNxY
Now I kind of regret never bothering with merc mode.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
In RE5 both of the main characters have an instakill move- Sheva has a throat slit and Chris has a neckbreaker.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I 100%ed the game yesterday and got all the trophies, funnily enough the only other game I’ve done this with is RE2R. My opinion remains more or less the same as what it was when I finished the campaign for the very first time - a really good game, but too much was cut and it isn’t as good as RE2.

The final boss on nightmare and inferno is a bit silly though in how you have practically no room for error, whereas the final boss up to hardcore is far too easy if you have a vague idea of what you are doing. Easily fixable though, they just need to add an extra second or so in between hits so you have a chance to avoid getting stunlocked to death.

I feel like the harder difficulties are balanced on the assumption you’ll be packing at least some special items. On inferno one single zombie attack is enough to kill you even at max health, and if you gently caress your dodge up you will get eaten before you reach the subway.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I suspect it's not actually balanced at all. You're just supposed to dodge past 99% of the enemies.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Finished Jill on Easy. Couldn't really do Normal because combat and inventory management in a fixed-camera game is too much of a pain. I had to beat RE7 on Easy as well because first-person melee blows chunks.

While the game never diminishes in quality it definitely peaks in the first mansion visit. Leaving the mansion at the 40% mark felt like stepping off the Von Braun or sinking a putter into Andrew Ryan's skull. Another game could advance formula by having two major hubs. The Evil Within 2 hit the mark by having a sandbox level you visit once at the start, and another you visit twice at the middle and end.

It's weirdly funny the dissonance you get in the story. Everyone's incredibly blunt, dense and mealy-mouthed in the cut-scenes to a comical degree. (Jill never calls out Barry for his suspicious behavior at any point) But the backstory is incredibly grim and brutal; with decades of abuse, torture, and murder.

I don't want another remake of this game but it would be very easy to translate this to a third-person action game, almost 1:1.

The most aged facet of game-design is the tiny inventory. You can have 6-8 inventory slots and you'll likely be handling over 80 key items to progress, as well as packing a gun and a healing item. I think it's better to just have the tension of limited resources without the insanity of a tiny herb having the same weight as a heavy battery. I never would have bothered with REmake 2 if you couldn't upgrade your inventory.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It's weirdly funny the dissonance you get in the story. Everyone's incredibly blunt, dense and mealy-mouthed in the cut-scenes to a comical degree. (Jill never calls out Barry for his suspicious behavior at any point) But the backstory is incredibly grim and brutal; with decades of abuse, torture, and murder.
I think that's really what makes Resident Evil games so enjoyably playable to me. The world itself is horrid, dark and brutal, but the games themselves largely aren't. Life is dark enough for me these days, I don't really want it in my escapism.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I 100%ed the game yesterday and got all the trophies, funnily enough the only other game I’ve done this with is RE2R. My opinion remains more or less the same as what it was when I finished the campaign for the very first time - a really good game, but too much was cut and it isn’t as good as RE2.

The final boss on nightmare and inferno is a bit silly though in how you have practically no room for error, whereas the final boss up to hardcore is far too easy if you have a vague idea of what you are doing. Easily fixable though, they just need to add an extra second or so in between hits so you have a chance to avoid getting stunlocked to death.

I feel like the harder difficulties are balanced on the assumption you’ll be packing at least some special items. On inferno one single zombie attack is enough to kill you even at max health, and if you gently caress your dodge up you will get eaten before you reach the subway.

Nah, they're doable without shop items, but they do require a lot of foreknowledge(and some of the enemy changes in fact play on your knowledge of the lower difficulties). You can take a hit on inferno and you generally should take hits when you can afford it to get the difficulty adjustment to drop a little bit. DA is quite important in this game, especially on inferno and affects a lot of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'd like to see the Saddler final boss fight re-done in RE4 remake, as it stands he's incredibly pathetic and can't really do anything other than throw the occasional steel beam at you from range, the climax just feels incredibly weak after Krauser and his cool set piece and fight.