Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What could REmake 4 make its existence valid outside of the obvious features?
  • Real-time weapon change.
  • Downplaying of the notorious QTEs.
  • Modern third-person movement.
  • A sidequest to recover that sweet bomber-jacket you lose in the first level.
  • A difficulty toggle where Chris Redfield busts through walls and chases you, begging you to marry his sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
  • More sweet wrestling moves.

I think that suggestion to rework the final boss is legit. Saddler fight number 2 was pretty lame and a weak finale, although I'm inclined to treat both fights as basically separate phases of a longer fight. It might already feel much better simply by rejiggering things so that both phases happen in the same fight.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Finished Jill on Easy. Couldn't really do Normal because combat and inventory management in a fixed-camera game is too much of a pain. I had to beat RE7 on Easy as well because first-person melee blows chunks.

While the game never diminishes in quality it definitely peaks in the first mansion visit. Leaving the mansion at the 40% mark felt like stepping off the Von Braun or sinking a putter into Andrew Ryan's skull. Another game could advance formula by having two major hubs. The Evil Within 2 hit the mark by having a sandbox level you visit once at the start, and another you visit twice at the middle and end.

The most aged facet of game-design is the tiny inventory. You can have 6-8 inventory slots and you'll likely be handling over 80 key items to progress, as well as packing a gun and a healing item. I think it's better to just have the tension of limited resources without the insanity of a tiny herb having the same weight as a heavy battery. I never would have bothered with REmake 2 if you couldn't upgrade your inventory.

It's funny, your note about stuff changing after mansion 1 cuz all the Lisa Trevor stuff was added for the remake, and I remember people at the time of release liked that it added more to what was a very short game

But yeah your first time through when you don't know the mansion layout and you don't know what items you need when inventory management in a pain.

The game really wants you to play multiple times and learn what the sequence is and then all of a sudden you're actually not only holding everything you need, but you know what stuff you don't even need to pick up at all and you're holding items for stuff 15 minutes down the line cuz you have an extra slot available just to save yourself from wasting a minute hitting up an item box.

site fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 14, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

• A difficulty toggle where Chris Redfield busts through walls and chases you, begging you to marry his sister.
a role reversal mode where ashley rescues leon

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Only if she also uses every single one of his cheesy one-liners.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

And leon behaves like a scared college student? absolutely

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

"Oooh, you pervert!"

Yup, I'm sold. Give me a RE4 remake now.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

• Traditional fixed camera angles with prerendered backgrounds.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Everybody wants more Resident Evil and Dino Crisis remakes but I'm just sitting here waiting for an Onimusha remake

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nioh 2's got you covered.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I love what the remakes do for the characters, but RE4 just didn't feel heavy on story - more like a side mission. I hope RE8 will try to tie it together. And obviously, give us more Jill.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Cardiovorax posted:

• More sweet wrestling moves.

This

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly Resident Evil 4 Remake should just go full Berlin Alexanderplatz and end with Leon going to Hell/the future to have a boxing match with Saddler while being confronted with visions of RE6.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Davinci posted:

Everybody wants more Resident Evil and Dino Crisis remakes but I'm just sitting here waiting for an Onimusha remake

Buy more copies of the rerelease to convince them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Trying to make S rank time. How quick should I get to the first Carlos section? 40 minutes?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Panzeh posted:

Nah, they're doable without shop items, but they do require a lot of foreknowledge(and some of the enemy changes in fact play on your knowledge of the lower difficulties). You can take a hit on inferno and you generally should take hits when you can afford it to get the difficulty adjustment to drop a little bit. DA is quite important in this game, especially on inferno and affects a lot of things.

Strange, every time I got grabbed by a zombie on inferno before I got my coins I was killed regardless of how fast I mashed X.

Also on my first nightmare run, guess who missed the last gem box and had to run all the way back from the subway control room to the Drain Deimos nest? It was cool though because I got chased the whole time and it was nice to see more of stage 1 Nemesis in action.

marshmallow creep posted:

Trying to make S rank time. How quick should I get to the first Carlos section? 40 minutes?

You’re making good time if you reach the RPD at around 40 minutes. You want to reach the second Carlos section at about an hour in.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Have it not look like poo poo; RE4's visuals have aged like milk. Remember when everyone hated shooters for being completely brown? RE4 is the earliest game I can think of that did that poo poo, it's 99.9% of the game's palette.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
With RE4 being responsible for the proliferation of QTE and, indirectly, cover shooters, I'm worried what new bandwagons the remake could spawn.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The color scheme does bring across that sense of "depressing not-Spanish dirthole" very well, I'll give it that.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The one thing I'd like from an RE4make is for it to swap between each version of RE4. Start with Hookman, walk through a door into the classic Village fight, chainsaw guy comes out and suddenly it's Devil May Cry. Just completely jump the shark and go mad, Capcom.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The one thing I'd like from an RE4make is for it to swap between each version of RE4. Start with Hookman, walk through a door into the classic Village fight, chainsaw guy comes out and suddenly it's Devil May Cry. Just completely jump the shark and go mad, Capcom.

Fourth level boss is Hookman riding a giant spider made of lava and Leon needs to team up with Evil Clone Leon from Gaiden to pilot the Salazar robot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's loving crazy to me that anyone wouldn't want a remake of RE4. It's such a brilliant game, but the idea that it "totally holds up" is bonkers. Re4 that looks and plays as good as these new remakes would be one of the greatest things ever. I just can't wrap my head around why someone wouldn't want that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Fear of them loving it up I guess? If someone had told me that they were going to remake 2 after I had played 6, I would have been very suspicious.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

We just got two solid remakes, so I can understand people wanting something new. I'm not against an RE4 remake, but I'm much more interested in whatever RE8 turns out to be.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fair, but we are in an age where they are mostly acing RE games again, so there's no better time to RE4.

Crowetron posted:

We just got two solid remakes, so I can understand people wanting something new. I'm not against an RE4 remake, but I'm much more interested in whatever RE8 turns out to be.

For sure. I am stoked on RE8. I loved 7 and I want that to be the next one. I just think people who actively don't ever want an RE4 remake are strange and their logic behind it makes no sense.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 15, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's like having a favourite book and it's a really good book, but then you hear that they might hire Uwe Boll to turn it into a movie. Bit of an exaggeration, of course, because Capcom is doing well these days, but people get invested in things they are fond of and want to see them treated well.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

For sure. I am stoked on RE8. I loved 7 and I want that to be the next one. I just think people who actively don't ever want an RE4 remake are strange and their logic behind it makes no sense.

Yeah, it's a weird thing to take a hard stance against because worst case scenario you'll just have to play the original RE4 that's been ported to drat near every platform.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Based off recent remakes. My only concern about a hypothetical RE4 remake is that they might cut some corners and make it shorter. I think how long and beefy it is is pretty essential to the experience. But if they could give me a modern take on the whole game I'd be in heaven.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Crowetron posted:

Yeah, it's a weird thing to take a hard stance against because worst case scenario you'll just have to play the original RE4 that's been ported to drat near every platform.

Well by that logic you can't ever be annoyed at the possibility of a remake of anything being shoddy. I guess its kinda like the Lion King scenario. No matter what, it was always going to be less good than the original. The best it could have ever hoped for was to be almost as good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Based off recent remakes. My only concern about a hypothetical RE4 remake is that they might cut some corners and make it shorter. I think how long and beefy it is is pretty essential to the experience. But if they could give me a modern take on the whole game I'd be in heaven.
I know I wouldn't complain about a remake that is just as funny, charming and substantial in terms of content as the original. RE2make is nothing if not a step in the right direction there, but they fumbled RE3make sufficiently that I'd really be concerned about them getting it right, depending on which team they put to work on it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Well by that logic you can't ever be annoyed at the possibility of a remake of anything being shoddy

Not really. My point was that the original RE4 is readily available on drat near anything that can play video games. If they made a crappy remake of Dino Crisis, I'd be pissed because going back to the original requires more effort than scrolling slightly down my Steam library.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh I don't think RE3 was a fumble at all. It wasn't a home run like RE2 but it was still pretty great imo.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Crowetron posted:

Not really. My point was that the original RE4 is readily available on drat near anything that can play video games. If they made a crappy remake of Dino Crisis, I'd be pissed because going back to the original requires more effort than scrolling slightly down my Steam library.

I don't feel like thats a fair comparison, because it wouldn't take a massive amount of effort to make a remake of Dino Crisis that was better than the original. It will however take a massive amount of effort to remake Resident Evil 4 in such a way that makes people consider it better than the original. I think the idea is, if they can't surpass the original there's no reason to even bother.

veni veni veni posted:

Tbh I don't think RE3 was a fumble at all. It wasn't a home run like RE2 but it was still pretty great imo.

I really hope this is true. I haven't gotten it yet because I'm waiting for the price to go down, but the initial reports have had me pretty confused. It seems to be split half-way between "this is a glorified expansion pack" and "i understand why those other people feel like its a glorified expansion pack, but its not"

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 15, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Fair enough, I meant that in relative terms. RE3make is not bad, but a perfect RE4 remake would be as RE2make is to RE2. If we get something like RE3make instead, which is just a very different game that lacks substantial portions of the original game and changes the arc and/or ending of certain characters entirely, I would simply feel that it would lessen the experience. I would not be happy with it. Since we've received two very different takes on the remake idea with RE2make and RE3make, I'm a bit concerned about which one we would get.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If they literally just made the same game with current graphics and controls they would surpass the original tho. Unlike the original RE's there nothing to reimagine. Just update it to feel modern and I'm happy. Going back to RE4 now the controls feel clunky and I'd just love to see how nice it would look in modern RE engine.

I really hope this is true. I haven't gotten it yet because I'm waiting for the price to go down, but the initial reports have had me pretty confused. It seems to be split half-way between "this is a glorified expansion pack" and "i understand why those other people feel like its a glorified expansion pack, but its not"

My take on it was that it was 6 hours that were great. I enjoyed every minute of it. At the same time 6 hours for 60 dollars is hard sell for a lot of people so just play it when the price is right.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 15, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
At some point they gave Resident Evil 4 modern controls (for mouse and keyboard). I guess before the mouse wouldn't control the camera at all? I guess the big issue is that all of the enemy behaviors are built around the idea that you're using a controller.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Just do RE4 with better graphics and the Souls style invasion multiplayer that 6 had.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

If they literally just made the same game with current graphics and controls they would surpass the original tho. Unlike the original RE's there nothing to reimagine. Just update it to feel modern and I'm happy. Going back to RE4 now the controls feel clunky and I'd just love to see how nice it would look in modern RE engine.
True, can't argue with that. The thing that makes most people sceptical, I think, is the worry that they won't be able to help themselves but try to reimagine and improve on things that don't need to be changed, which will probably end up just making them worse in the end.

If they don't, then hell, go for it. Make the best Resident Evil game the prettiest Resident Evil game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

At some point they gave Resident Evil 4 modern controls (for mouse and keyboard). I guess before the mouse wouldn't control the camera at all? I guess the big issue is that all of the enemy behaviors are built around the idea that you're using a controller.

They "updated" the controls when the PC/PS3/Xbox 360 version came out but they still kind of sucked tbh. Actually the Wii controls were pretty good I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

veni veni veni posted:

It's loving crazy to me that anyone wouldn't want a remake of RE4. It's such a brilliant game, but the idea that it "totally holds up" is bonkers. Re4 that looks and plays as good as these new remakes would be one of the greatest things ever. I just can't wrap my head around why someone wouldn't want that.

Speaking only for myself, I'm just not sure what they could bring to it game play wise beyond a fresh coat of shiny paint/better graphics. If they remake 4 in spirit and go about mixing up the maps and enemies, I could get behind the idea.