Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
In the RE3 remake, can you toss a grenade into a gamma's mouth? The game is practically begging me to do it, but the enemy doesn't seem to ever swallow it and only takes damage from the grenade going off at it's feet.

edit: also fun fact, I just intentionally dropped a grenade at my feet in a safe room on Hardcore difficulty to see how much damage it does, and it seems to do none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zero VGS posted:

In the RE3 remake, can you toss a grenade into a gamma's mouth? The game is practically begging me to do it, but the enemy doesn't seem to ever swallow it and only takes damage from the grenade going off at it's feet.

edit: also fun fact, I just intentionally dropped a grenade at my feet in a safe room on Hardcore difficulty to see how much damage it does, and it seems to do none.

explosions do not do damage to you. catching fire doesnt do damage to you either, but standing in fire will eventually just kill you regardless of health.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

sigher posted:

True.

You'd have to completely redo enemies like they did with RE2make though, which is much more than just a small QOL feature. Just completely redoing the game visually 1:1 would be a huge undertaking and I don't see them keeping everything. I don't see them remaking RE4 without cutting stuff out, especially if they cut poo poo from one of the shortest entries in the series.

Did RE2make really redo enemies tho? I mean they are just bullet sponges that walk towards you and even REmake 1 had tougher zombies because you couldnt flinch them with aimed handgun shots.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

Did RE2make really redo enemies tho? I mean they are just bullet sponges that walk towards you and even REmake 1 had tougher zombies because you couldnt flinch them with aimed handgun shots.

RE2make zombies move differently to provide a challenge for the player having finer aim. OG zombies just walk in a straight line at you, none of the stumbling or head swaying or sudden bursts of speed. Lickers are also more aggressive and more agile to account for greater player control.

Zombies flinching from headshots is explicitly an example of enemies being changed to better interact with new mechanics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Yes. RE2make significantly redid enemies. Zombies have entirely different attack patterns, limb damage, and are a lot more mobile than they are in the original game to compensate. The only comparison between the two is "are zombies."

Lickers have a significantly greater aggression and different attack patterns, the Ivy is a completely different monster entirely, Mr. X is an omnipresent threat rather than effectively showing up a few times for a gimmick, the sewer G-types didn't even exist except as a boss fight (which was very different) and most of the boss fights are heavily changed up to take advantage of actual mechanics you have.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't think that changing the movement would make all that much of a difference, as a matter of personal opinion. I never actually used my ability to walk and shoot at the same time all that much in RE2make. It's just more simple to stand there and pop a zombie's legs off. I think it might require some adjustment to the enemy movement patterns. Standard RE4 Ganados run up to you and then start walking so that you can pick them off even though you're unable to aim and retreat from them at the same time. I guess they might need to start walking a little bit faster if you slowly back up away from them.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

explosions do not do damage to you. catching fire doesnt do damage to you either, but standing in fire will eventually just kill you regardless of health.

I wound up figuring out that instead of using two flame rounds to kill a gamma, I could just use one and walk up and knife it multiple times while it flails to finish it off. Even if I accidentally set myself on fire while knifing it I take no damage and it winds up dying every time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

man nurse posted:

Do you really want a Resi 4 where you can move while you aim and other bullshit like that?

Yes. God. Absolutely. Thinking not being able to move while aiming is some necessary part of RE is some severe luddite/stockholm syndrome poo poo.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

veni veni veni posted:

Yes. God. Absolutely. Thinking not being able to move while aiming is some necessary part of RE is some severe luddite/stockholm syndrome poo poo.
It will affect the combat balance to some degree, that much is certainly true. I really don't think it's going to break the game, though.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't think that changing the movement would make all that much of a difference, as a matter of personal opinion. I never actually used my ability to walk and shoot at the same time all that much in RE2make. It's just more simple to stand there and pop a zombie's legs off. I think it might require some adjustment to the enemy movement patterns. Standard RE4 Ganados run up to you and then start walking so that you can pick them off even though you're unable to aim and retreat from them at the same time. I guess they might need to start walking a little bit faster if you slowly back up away from them.

Very few of the Ganados melee attacks give them forward momentum. Of the top of my head, only the lunging grab does. A lot of the axe swings even have them taking a step back afterwards to give the player some breathing room. You can walk up to one, and then walk backwards as soon as they rear back and easily escape their hit range. If you could back up and fire at the same time, only the guys that throw stuff could ever really hit you.

Of course, as I typed this I realized it only really applies to the pre-Plagas parts of the game. Baddies get a lot more range after the sun goes down. Maybe you're right and they'd only need to adjust or add a few things to account for walk-aiming.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm guessing that this kind of animation is specifically meant to give you breathing space because you can't easily escape from enemies while keeping your gun up at the same time, so I think it would be fairly easy to simply give them a little bit of that forward momentum they currently lack.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

It will affect the combat balance to some degree, that much is certainly true. I really don't think it's going to break the game, though.

Sure. But it's not something that was actually a good part of the game in the first place. The last two remakes achieve everything that RE4 and 5 did in regards to gameplay, while not feeling dated because of whacky control schemes. Not being able to inch around to adjust your aim just feels like poo poo now. it was only acceptable back then because there wasn't any sort of gold standard for shooter controls so we didn't know any better. it's not something worth clinging to.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

However, if the remake fixes the bug where headless dudes can still chokeslam you like the Undertaker, then this whole endeavor has been a failure. If I ever get my head blasted off by guy with a 90's haircut, I hope that I too will have the strength to still force him to eat a whole egg.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Bert of the Forest posted:

They are practically guaranteed to cut stuff from the remake yeah, it’s pretty much wishful thinking to say otherwise. A 1:1 remake in terms of content probably wouldn’t be feasible with the way modern game budgets balloon up, so I’d expect certain areas to be truncated at the very least. Of course I fall into the camp that thinks there’s some fat to be cut in RE4 anyway, but again, it’s not like the original gets erased in the process.

What's going to be a little disappointing is if they opt to make RE4 into a speedrunner-friendly four-hour experience, rather than a 20-hour ride.

I don't think they can possibly make anyone happy with this, and I wouldn't be that surprised if Capcom quietly shelves the project before officially announcing it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wanderer posted:

What's going to be a little disappointing is if they opt to make RE4 into a speedrunner-friendly four-hour experience, rather than a 20-hour ride.

That would be the only thing that would kill it for me. Modernize the gameplay, graphics, etc. But RE3 is the last time I'm paying full price for a game that short tbh. And beyond that the scope of RE4 feels absolutely essential imo. Cutting that out would ruin it.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

veni veni veni posted:

That would be the only thing that would kill it for me. Modernize the gameplay, graphics, etc. But RE3 is the last time I'm paying full price for a game that short tbh. And beyond that the scope of RE4 feels absolutely essential imo. Cutting that out would ruin it.

same, tbh

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

WaltherFeng posted:

In RE2 they were bullet sponges that required no accuracy, you just have to have enough ammo to deal with them, but in RE2make you're only supposed to kill them when absolutely necessary. You don't have the ammo reserves in the remake to kill everything like in the original so it's more economical if you cause them to stumble via leg shots so you can run by them. They're handled in completely different ways.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The remakes more than make up for any added mobility/modernization by making the zombies hard and unpredictable targets to hit which is much cooler than making it hard because the controls suck due to being 20 years old imo.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I don't think they should cut the island portion, but that's definitely the part that comes to mind when people talk about changing things in RE4. Like the Krauser fight and oven guy are good, but the rest could use a second look.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think the Krauser fight is the biggest single thing about the game I actually disliked. It just drags for way too long.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Admittedly, my fondness for the Krauser fight comes entirely from his knife allergy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really wish they would put RE4 on sale for switch for a price that wasn't switch tax highway robbery. Kind of just want to chill in bed and play it again but its always like 3x the cost of the PS4 version.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

veni veni veni posted:

I really wish they would put RE4 on sale for switch for a price that wasn't switch tax highway robbery. Kind of just want to chill in bed and play it again but its always like 3x the cost of the PS4 version.

Definitely wait for a sale, I bought it full price for Switch for this exact reason and uh, well let's just say those quick time events are far more infuriating when using the tiny little baby buttons on handheld and it feels like you're gonna snap the drat thing in half. I pretty much have to play it docked for any boss fight for this reason.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

veni veni veni posted:

I remember being annoyed as gently caress when RE5 came out and I couldn’t move while aiming, despite Dead Space doing it fine the year before.

If I had a magic lamp I’d wish for Capcom to acquire the Dead Space IP and make one in the RE engine.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How many times has Redfield lost all the men under his command? The guy is a walking disaster magnet.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

But he can drive a car without exploding it, so that's something at least.

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011
the biggest counter to mr x in resistance is a door, this game is impossible to be good as mastermind

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Raccoonboy posted:

the biggest counter to mr x in resistance is a door, this game is impossible to be good as mastermind

Bull Charge goes through the door if a survivor tries to get too cute with abusing that.

Also generally for the bioweapons, if possible drop it in a room with one exit and lock the door BEFORE you summon him, even a lvl 1 lock makes it way easier to get damage in before they can get out.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Christ I wish Nintendo would remake Super Mario Bros and get rid of Mario’s momentum and inertia-based movement. Megaman gives the player much finer control over their avatar’s midair trajectory and it’s frankly painful to go back and play games that came out before it

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I have a question, does anything special happen if you manage to (RE3Make endgame stuff spoiler'd just to be safe) nail Nicholai in the head with your gun? I'm just wondering if there's an alternate scene where Jill spouts a one-liner or throws back Nicholai's words at him before she kills him.

As for a potential RE4 remake, maybe it'd be okay if it's like the DMC3 switch port. Just add a QoL feature or two while keeping the entire game functionally the same. Weapon quick swap and having the RE3Make option of changing QTE presses to just holding a button would be pretty nice to have.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Now that I've beaten Re2make with Claire and Leon, I want to know where the combination is for that one locker in the RPD shower room.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

its written on the whiteboard in that tiny room thats behind the conference room that you need the bolt cutters to open, with the detonator

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, past that door in the room with the broken, climbable window.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I remember being annoyed as gently caress when RE5 came out and I couldn’t move while aiming, despite Dead Space doing it fine the year before.

If I had a magic lamp I’d wish for Capcom to acquire the Dead Space IP and make one in the RE engine.

RE5 felt like it was being made for a move-and-shoot system and abandoned the moving part too late in development to adjust the level design and mechanics accordingly. I think there was also a dodge move in the early previews for the game.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

man nurse posted:

Do you really want a Resi 4 where you can move while you aim

You can move while you aim in Dead Space and in the RE remakes, and those games are broadly popular. This has been settled, survival horror games don't lose anything for most people when you can (slowly) move and shoot.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Now that I've beaten Re2make with Claire and Leon, I want to know where the combination is for that one locker in the RPD shower room.

The combinations are mixed up run to run aren't they? Like what works on one locker will swap with another locker?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Same here. I never found it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

codo27 posted:

The combinations are mixed up run to run aren't they? Like what works on one locker will swap with another locker?
No, they're permanent and you can even memorize them. In fact, the combinations and codes for Resident Evil 2 remake will work in Resident Evil 3 remake.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
If they actually go ahead and remake Resi4 I'd want them to go all in and make it an entirely different experience. Drop the chapter structure entirely, lean in towards the tone of RE2make of it being a more thoughtful exploratory horror game rather than the amusement park vanilla Resi4 is, have the village, castle, and island be hubs you weave through. The original game is beloved and any slight deviation from it beyond a graphical overhaul will end up with the fans rejecting it. If it's a bad game, it's a bad game, but it's better to be a bad game that's bad on its own terms than a mediocre imitation. And for it to be good and stand on its own it will have to be either similar to but better than the original, or sufficiently different to not be an appropriate comparison. Make it an orange to the original's apple, rather than just a new apple.

Davinci fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How many times has Redfield lost all the men under his command? The guy is a walking disaster magnet.

Twice, both times in RE6. He's not in charge of anybody in RE5 (he and Sheva are the two-person investigation team, while that guy Duchant is in command of the team that got wiped out), he's been loaned out to the Mexican government as a field advisor at the start of Vendetta, and he's not in a command position over the Blue Umbrella dorks in Not A Hero.

That being said, I've always wanted to see one of those "real-world expert plays" videos or articles about Chris's various misadventures.