Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
"Hey it's that dog!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://www.nexusmods.com/residentevil32020/mods/136

This might be an interesting mod as it gets completed. It basically makes places that were brief setpieces actually explorable in the early game and moves enemies and items around. They're even experimenting with having Nemesis spawn and chase you around more often.

Still early days though.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Having to play around a January who can kill a camera in two seconds with a Matilda isn't much fun. Got them down to 30 seconds with one biocore left to defend, got jammed with no rotation, door open, out all because I couldn't play anything anywhere near the exit as anything with line of site to the exit was permanently off.

Aaaaaarrrrgh

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The sheer level of work necessary to slightly change the movement mechanics in Resident Evil 4 and make no other substantial changes seems a bit unnecessary imho, given that it's already so easily available.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Seedge posted:

Having to play around a January who can kill a camera in two seconds with a Matilda isn't much fun. Got them down to 30 seconds with one biocore left to defend, got jammed with no rotation, door open, out all because I couldn't play anything anywhere near the exit as anything with line of site to the exit was permanently off.

Aaaaaarrrrgh

I like Resistance but the designers simply did not correctly cost out stuns/disables. Immobilizing Shot is heavily, heavily favored for every Mastermind regardless of build, and a Arsenal January who build for camera destruction and buys a Spark Shot early can just single-handedly ruin any Mastermind that isn't specifically designed to deal with that and only that (leaving them open for everything else) and especially gently caress over poor Daniel, whose entire shtick is literally neutralized in one shot from one weapon. Martin's stun baton and stun mines are imply not fun to go up against as a Mastermind as there are almost no avenues to avoid them.They simply did not correctly cost out "this keeps the other guy from actually playing the game" abilities.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Holy poo poo I thought y'all were exaggerating about the final Nemmy fight on Nightmare lmao. Love to breeze thru the game until the very final boss, at which point you must perform 30 perfect dodges in a row and sometimes even if you do it instakills you anyway

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Holy poo poo I thought y'all were exaggerating about the final Nemmy fight on Nightmare lmao. Love to breeze thru the game until the very final boss, at which point you must perform 30 perfect dodges in a row and sometimes even if you do it instakills you anyway

It gets worse on Inferno :v:

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

It gets worse on Inferno :v:

:negative:

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Playing through Resident Evil Remake and I just realized...is Chris's route non-canon? Because Chris, Jill and Rebecca survive but no Barry. Whereas in Jill's route, Jill, Barry, and Chris survive. I thought all of them survived...what the gently caress

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

i must compose posted:

Playing through Resident Evil Remake and I just realized...is Chris's route non-canon? Because Chris, Jill and Rebecca survive but no Barry. Whereas in Jill's route, Jill, Barry, and Chris survive. I thought all of them survived...what the gently caress

That's what I mean when I say there's no possible version of RE1 (that's currently playable) that fits canon, since both Barry and Rebecca survived, but only one shows up for each route.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Augus posted:

a 20+ hour RE game would just be exhausting tbqh

Nope

Honesty surprised so many are on board for RE4 remake. To me, all they can really do is upgrade the graphics and that's not nearly enough to get me jazzed for the idea. I'd rather they remake something that could really benefit from fixing it up instead of a nearly perfect game that everyone loves.

By far, the biggest leap in game play in the series has been fixing the god damned camera and pre rendered backgrounds so...poo poo...I'd rather have RE1 or CV remade with this engine than anything else.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

i must compose posted:

RE1 is like Schrodinger's plot-line because both stories are supposedly the same canon while simultaneously containing mutually exclusive conflicts

BiggerBoat posted:

Nope

Honesty surprised so many are on board for RE4 remake. To me, all they can really do is upgrade the graphics and that's not nearly enough to get me jazzed for the idea. I'd rather they remake something that could really benefit from fixing it up instead of a nearly perfect game that everyone loves.

By far, the biggest leap in game play in the series has been fixing the god damned camera and pre rendered backgrounds so...poo poo...I'd rather have RE1 or CV remade with this engine than anything else.

Can you believe the RE1 remake came out over 18 loving years ago now? It's still phenomenally gorgeous even to this day.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 17, 2020

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Pleaseeeee actually play re4 and remove your bland gray colored glasses and then tell me it doesn't stand to gain any improvement at all. Just do it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

i must compose posted:

The general answer is "both routes are canon, despite this making no sense." Barry, Rebecca, Chris, and Jill (as well as Brad and Wesker technically) are the only survivors of the mansion incident. They never really address what specifically that adventure looked like.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
rebecca ran into wesker down in the labs when he was on his way out of the mansion and he helped her escape while barry, jill, and chris went out to the helipad

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

codo27 posted:

Pleaseeeee actually play re4 and remove your bland gray colored glasses and then tell me it doesn't stand to gain any improvement at all. Just do it

Could you improve the game? Sure. Is it worthwhile to do that, given how minor the changes will be compared to with the previous remakes, instead of working on something more interesting? Probably not, imo.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

both re1 and re0 were a dying dream of rebeccas since she died in the helicopter crash

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Resident Evil 1 is actually just a movie in the RE universe based on the Mansion incident, made after public opinion turned against Umbrella.

REmake is the remake of that movie.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
they say the ghost of rebecca chambers haunts the spencer mansion to this day...

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

0 rows returned posted:

both re1 and re0 were a dying dream of rebeccas since she died in the helicopter crash

Resident evil 8: Rebecca's ladder

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

The only problem I'd have with a Code Veronica remake is that, no matter how hard they try, I have my doubts that whoever gets cast as Alfred Ashford will not be quite as ludicrously hammy and over the top as the original. That level of ham is something you just cannot perfectly recreate.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I gotta play that stupid poo poo someday. Rented it on ps2, played for like a half hour and already after a stale impression of re3, that was as far as the old formula could take me

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

site posted:

they say the ghost of Billy FUCKIN Cohen haunts the spencer mansion to this day...

Fixed that for you :v:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaN9RJA5h7Q

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The new Resistance patch, which makes Jill playable, is live.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i legitimately dont understand why you nerds think an RE4 remake has no possible use and also behave as if it will do some irreparable harm to original RE4. frankly changes to the controls of the game for accessibility purposes would be more than enough for me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Im not worried about them ruining RE4 or anything like that and sure there are ways that RE4 could be improved but the idea of fully remaking a late 6th gen game that’s already been ported to modern consoles just seems kinda odd to me

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

site posted:

rebecca ran into wesker down in the labs when he was on his way out of the mansion and he helped her escape while barry, jill, and chris went out to the helipad
I never thought of it like this, but based on the fact that the forest around the mansion was portrayed as too deadly to traverse, and who survived the mansion, this is the only canon that makes sense. Wesker must have had some means of escape ready even before he sent Bravo team, but of course that doesn't mean he'd invite just anyone along with him at the end. Rebecca though? The creep clearly had a thing for her, so he wouldn't leave her to just die, while Barry would 100% be a liability to bring along. From this we can conclude that Jill's ending is canon, which implies Chris's story is mostly not. He might have met Rebecca in the mansion, made her play the piano and then got captured, with Rebecca eventually deciding to stop trying and look for Chris instead - eventually leading her to bump into the wounded Wesker.

Chris's story is him grafting bits of Jill's heroics on to his own adventures.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

codo27 posted:

It’s loving rough. It took me forever to get to the castle because I hardly had a Game Cube to play on and that controller was bizarre enough (not to mention the weirdness of T/G Virus to Plagas transition) and I finally got really far about a year ago on PC. I will try to finally beat it but the level design, story, and everything is quite the slog once you get to the castle. Goofy rear end characters as well, even for old school Resident Evil and poo poo that just goes so far off the rocker they had to top it with volcano punching and Resident Evil 6, etc.

RE4make could be incredible just remaking the core story and cutting some of the fat. Because it didn’t have backtracking or tough puzzles, but a lot of it was pretty drat fun. Just...lots of weird filler.

*also I love RE5 and a lot of 6 despite the weird direction the series took. They could use remakes as well :v:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Remake 6 but make it good.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Allow Jake to suplex the tank.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Fosson posted:

didn’t have backtracking

You just summed up what makes 4 great

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
RE4 does have some backtracking. You pass through the village at least three times from different directions and past the church twice.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm on board for REm4ke, the original is still an all timer but I'd like a new coat of paint and the controls always take me a couple hours of frustration to get used to; I'm not 100% convinced that carefully modernizing the controls would upend the game that much so it's worth a gamble. And just think how much the contextual finisher move button technology has changed in the last 15 years!

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
https://www.biohazardcast.com/resident-evil-2-1998-leon-kennedy-voice-actor-paul-haddad-passes-away-at-56/

Sadly, Leon's first VA has passed away.

https://twitter.com/TheSphereHunter/status/1251150286841720836?s=20

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 17, 2020

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Resistance is so weird. I did a few games last night and I won a game with survivors between level 1-17 against a level 45 Spencer, and lost two games in area three against a level 8 Annette and level 15 Spencer (with similar level survivors)

Spencer game plan must be to try and stop the survivors asap in area 1 because woof he can't manage them very well for area 2 and 3. The extra puzzle pieces help that as well.

I think it depends on the deck too, the Spencer we won against clearly packed guns and traps while the one we lost against actually got lucky and got two of us with d field and creature spam in area 3.

Anette was just we had a bad berkin fight and lost too much time and didn't bring enough stuff to stun him.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

[/quote]

No loving way,he was still fairly young right?
R.I.P

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 17, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

No loving way,he was still fairly young right?
R.I.P
Late fifties. But yeah, shame to hear that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I just played and beat Leon A like a week ago. It was just as awesome as it was when I first played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ineffiable posted:

Resistance is so weird. I did a few games last night and I won a game with survivors between level 1-17 against a level 45 Spencer, and lost two games in area three against a level 8 Annette and level 15 Spencer (with similar level survivors)

Spencer game plan must be to try and stop the survivors asap in area 1 because woof he can't manage them very well for area 2 and 3. The extra puzzle pieces help that as well.

I think it depends on the deck too, the Spencer we won against clearly packed guns and traps while the one we lost against actually got lucky and got two of us with d field and creature spam in area 3.

Anette was just we had a bad berkin fight and lost too much time and didn't bring enough stuff to stun him.

I'm starting to sour on Resistance because they've leaned so heavily on denial. It's not fun as Mastermind to have Jan and Jill turbofuck any camera they can see, leaving you totally unable to play the game unless you quickly control creatures to get out of it. Jill also packs Samurai Edge which has huge stunning/knockback on top of huge damage, it's just ridiculous. There are simply too many ways for Survivors to just say "nope" rather than deal with stuff. I had Mastermind games last night where I was spending most of Area 1 and 2 jumping off cameras and watching my creatures stand around from being stunned.

At the same time the Survivor side is ridiculous as well. There's nothing you can do against Immobilizing Shot + Gun -> you will get hit and you will die unless someone takes out the camera. In fact Immobilizing Shot is just a garbo card that says "you can't do anything" to the Survivors. Also the progression system is so out of wack, the fact that at the lobby you'll see that you're up against some Rank 4 Alex and know that she has an absolute lovely deck and no synergies and then just spend 15 minutes rolling her with no chance for her to ever win is sad. The game is best when the timer is swinging around wildly and there's a huge push-and-pull between each side, and it's total garbage when it's a one-sided stomp for either faction.