Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Wanderer posted:

So back in the day, when Code: Veronica was the new hotness, they didn't get around to explaining why Wesker was superhuman for a surprisingly long time. He just kind of was, and it took something like three years for Capcom to release Wesker's Report II and explain why he was suddenly capable of bullet time.

In those three years, the more conspiratorial arm of the RE fan base would come up with theories on top of theories as to why he was suddenly Neo and a few of them would argue for days, in all seeming seriousness, that Wesker was now a vampire.

he--direct quote-- "sold his soul" to his new employer, he has red eyes, it's clear Wesker is working for SATAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean to be honest "is a vampire" isn't particularly less plausible than the actual reason he has superpowers.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Bonaventure posted:

he--direct quote-- "sold his soul" to his new employer, he has red eyes, it's clear Wesker is working for SATAN

HCF -- could it stand for Hell's Cavalry Force??

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Made it to the castle on RE 4. This is significantly further than I got when I messed around with the Wii version. I can understand why this game is thought of as one of the best in the series. I wish I had played 4 when it was new on Gamecube. The tension and creepiness in it are excellent. I miss boxes but at least quest items and treasures don't take up inventory space.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It helps that you can carry more than six things at a time. Leon's biggest attache case could probably fit everything you pick up over the course of a RE1 playthrough all at once.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

After playing 7 and the 2, 3, and 1 remakes in succession I am more convinced than ever that inventory tetris is one of the best mechanics in the entire series, and every other game with a 1- or 2-block inventory system suffers for it.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Bonaventure posted:

HCF -- could it stand for Hell's Cavalry Force??

It's Hive/Host Capture Force.

I finally got to see what problems people had with Final Nemesis in R3make on the higher difficulties. If you don't use shop items, it's basically play perfectly or die.

With shop items, if you have two defense coins and the manual, if you get hit by the second of a 3-hit overhead smash combo, you can mash up and heal quickly, but getting hit by the first hit is almost guaranteed death regardless. The tell of those smashes isn't too bad, though - just dodge the moment you see the arm twitch downwards, and don't try to focus-shot after a perfect dodge in the middle of the combo. Far less risky to just take shots during his wide arena sweeps or during the arm-over-arm bashes where his vector is locked in. Only took about half an hour of repeated attempts to figure out the timing.

Is it that much worse on Inferno or is it the same fight?

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Captain Hygiene posted:

After playing 7 and the 2, 3, and 1 remakes in succession I am more convinced than ever that inventory tetris is one of the best mechanics in the entire series, and every other game with a 1- or 2-block inventory system suffers for it.
I thought the way it ended up functioning in the game was pretty shallow. You always had more than enough room for the major weapons and healing items, and the tetris part only came in when you needed to shuffle around some of the garbage you'd let accumulate, it never really felt like it was forcing you to make choices. Maybe they can make it more relevant this time, having puzzle items also take up inventory space is what I'd like to see.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Something I never thought much about - probably due to the fact I'm a total dork who knows nothing about guns - is how magical the RE4 shotgun is. It's like an AOE wave attack that sends rows of enemies flying. I don't think real shotguns work like that.

Also I was always confused by the fact Snake and Raiden in MGS run with their gun held down in front of them and at waist-level while Leon holds his gun pointing up and to the side of his head. Billy and Rebecca alternate between these two styles in RE0.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

BiggerBoat posted:

Shouldn't we change the tread title to just Resident Evil series or something? We've been discussing every game in the series and seem to have gone through RE3 make already. Just a suggestion

Resident Evil Megathread 3: The C-Virus might be real, but at least Resident Evil's very good right now

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://twitter.com/JoshTCraig/status/1272459043823640577

:eyepop:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

amigolupus posted:

Resident Evil Megathread 3: The C-Virus might be real, but at least Resident Evil's very good right now

Resident Evil: Thread Can't Even Swim

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Resident Evil: Bob VIla

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Resident Evil Megathread 3: Last Escape

Resident Evil Megathread 3: It Takes A Village to Shoot This Child

Resident Evil Megathread 3: Celebrating 25 Years of Helicopter Crashes

Resident Evil Megathread 3: The Fault in Our S.T.A.R.S. (h/t Lady Naga)

Crowetron posted:

I could also support this one.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Resident Evil Megathread 3: "I mean I kind of understood that Umbrella corp is the bad guy but I don't remember anything about a police chief or the fact that Leon was a cop. Why doesn't he have a baton or a taser to ward off the zombies then? Or more bullets? Doesn't really make any sense if you think about it."

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Raxivace posted:

Resident Evil Megathread 3: "I mean I kind of understood that Umbrella corp is the bad guy but I don't remember anything about a police chief or the fact that Leon was a cop. Why doesn't he have a baton or a taser to ward off the zombies then? Or more bullets? Doesn't really make any sense if you think about it."

Resident Evil Megathred 3: Cops Have Qualified Virus Immunity

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I started my "hardcore" R3R run with infinite assault rifle and cleared the fences before they fell, at which point the scripted guys were back on their feet anyway. :lol: That answers that.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Resident Evil Megathred 3: I sure hope this is Chris's blood.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Resident Evil Megathread 3: There was a pandemic going on, but let's go deeper anyway.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Crowetron posted:

This is the one.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I liked the swimming sections in Revelations. They were pretty tense when enemies were around, even if the pulse grenade cleared them out easily enough, and Jill moved a hell of a lot faster than that light jog she did everywhere else.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Resident Evil Megathread 3: Village People

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

man nurse posted:

Resident Evil Megathread 3: Village People Can't Even Swim

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
fellas I might be late to the party here but I think Nightmare/Inferno Nemesis 3 might not be a very good boss!!!

oh well *pitches 100% game into the bin* please don't make Saddler RE4R into a joyless slog, that is my kokoro wish. it was so fun to fight that guy I'd practice doing it with the knife/hand gun, unwittingly training myself for future RE titles in 2020.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 20, 2020

Love Shovel
Apr 25, 2010

Doomykins posted:

fellas I might be late to the party here but I think Nightmare/Inferno Nemesis 3 might not be a very good boss!!!

Hundred percent agreed. Rest of the game and bosses were tough but fair for the most part. Without getting the defense coins at the 11th hour I would have been effed.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Someone talk me out of getting the RE Origins bundle instead of just the RE remake on PS4. ($10 v $5 atm)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Someone talk me out of getting the RE Origins bundle instead of just the RE remake on PS4. ($10 v $5 atm)

I would pay $5 to not have to ever play RE0; by that reasoning, you're getting RE1 for free, which is the best deal you'll ever get!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

lol, I was gonna say my general impression of Zero was that it was worth negative money and I guess I'm not far off

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I certainly wouldn't play it again if you paid me for it. It's not that the game itself is that bad, even, but opera leeches and having to manually lug all your poo poo everywhere instead of having magical teleport boxes add up towards making it feel worse to play than it really had to be.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Spacebump posted:

REmake has been free on Plus before, so Zero may be free someday, which is still too expensive.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Resident Evil $0

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

0 isn’t that bad, it’s a perfectly serviceable classic style RE game, with all the tedium that entails. I’d play it if you’re into that style of game tbh

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I would say 0 is easily the worst of the classic style RE games and edges into "is a bad game" territory myself. If it had classic item boxes then that would singlehandedly push it out of that tier but not having them makes it such a pain in the rear end at certain points. Has a lot of lovely annoying enemies as well. If you're extremely starved for more classic RE then it's worth a go I suppose.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Did modders ever try making an item box mod for RE0, or are they all terrible model mods?

TOMMY PROVOLONE
Jul 30, 2014

I am the sun. The moon.

man nurse posted:

0 isn’t that bad, it’s a perfectly serviceable classic style RE game, with all the tedium that entails. I’d play it if you’re into that style of game tbh

I’d disagree. I’ve played all the classic RE games and 0 was by far the most miserable experience of them all. Not having an item box has such a disastrous effect on the game’s quality.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
It's funny how being able to drop items wherever was a big and exciting things when 0 was being marketed and it just ended up being worse than the item box system it replaced.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It would've been amazing and the greatest improvement to the series' inventory mechanics since RE4's inventory tetris if only it had been in addition to the item box system instead of replacing it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cardiovorax posted:

It would've been amazing and the greatest improvement to the series' inventory mechanics since RE4's inventory tetris if only it had been in addition to the item box system instead of replacing it.
Yeah, completely dropping the item boxes was a mistake. They wouldn't even have to include as many as usual, even just one per major area would probably have done the trick, shoring up the one weakness of the new system.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

man nurse posted:

Going to have to disagree with this. All horror RE games have item management baked in to some degree as it’s a core segment of survival horror, but Zero takes it to an absurd level having to manage and control two characters with no item boxes. So all that happens is any safe hub area becomes a dumping ground for all your poo poo, and as the game progresses you have to spend time running back and forth transferring all your items to a newer hub area. It’s stupid and dumb. On top of that:

• It answers questions no one was asking. Seriously, you can excise Zero from RE canon and it wouldn’t have any impact on the overall story.
  • The villain sucks, Billy is a complete non entity and Rebecca is totally inconsistent with her character in RE1. This girl went up against a Tyrant and lived, she shouldn’t be cowering in the corner when a Hunter is bearing down on her, she should be strangling it with its own intestines.
  • Except for the train, the environments just feel like a rehash of the mansion and labs.
  • Enemies don’t fare much better, with the bosses mostly just being giant versions of various insects.

It’s not all bad though, the train is genuinely very good, Rebecca has a good if totally wasted character arc, and I would say this is the first RE game that actually had genuinely good voice acting and dialogue. Overall though, it’s a bad game and a real shame the very last classic style RE game went out like a wet fart.

As for why I wrote so many words on this, this game is memorable for being one of two on the GameCube that were such massive disappointments after a strong showing by their predecessors. The other was Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3: Rebel Strike. Who the gently caress looked at their widely successful space fighter combat game and decided what it really needed was terrible third person on foot combat sections?

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, completely dropping the item boxes was a mistake. They wouldn't even have to include as many as usual, even just one per major area would probably have done the trick, shoring up the one weakness of the new system.
Sadly, we're probably never going to see it again, since that change got such a negative reaction the one time they tried it.