Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I wouldn't worry about conserving ammo.

poo poo...I would. I think learning to conserve ammo is about half the game's learning curve, especially for a first timer.

Don't listen to this man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
on easy you could probably get away with shooting all the zombies, but id focus on learning to dodge those grabs while they arent doing much damage, esp if youre using the new controls

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So long as you don't kill everything in your path and take the most efficient path when backtracking, you should be fine I think.

Just don't kill too many zombies that you can easily avoid, they come back as Crimson Heads and burn the bodies of zombies in areas you'll revisit constantly to prevent Crimson Heads.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh yeah thats a good point, even on easy the game doesnt give you nearly enough kerosene to burn every corpse

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

If memory serves you’ll get enough kerosene to burn 6 zombies from each fuel container, and there are 5 containers in the game, so you can torch 30 zombies. There isn’t nearly enough to kill every zombie but more than enough to kill all the ones in the areas you revisit constantly.

Oh, and do not attempt to burn the downed zombie in the far west 2F corridor leading up to the key trap/3F.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I just did it on Normal and ended up with more ammo than I needed. Don't forget about the taser and knife that you pick up.

I would try to avoid shooting crows that are flying around. They are very hard to hit and are a waste of bullets. Some areas even let you avoid them attacking you if you are quiet.
When you get a shotgun, you aim up on every zombie closing in and it should explode heads.
Half the boss fights allow you to avoid wasting ammo and you sometimes have an ally doing the shooting.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 23, 2020

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Oh, and do not attempt to burn the downed zombie in the far west 2F corridor leading up to the key trap/3F.

I'm not very familiar with the REmake, so I've gotta ask why not to burn that zombie.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
May be misremembering, but I think that one is already a crimson head from the start of the game and will try to eat if you get close.

Well, all zombies do that, but he's better at it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah basically that one is scripted to become a Crimson Head no matter what. I've seen some funny glitches where people managed to decapitate it and it still rises up as a headless Crimson Head though.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Cardiovorax posted:

May be misremembering, but I think that one is already a crimson head from the start of the game and will try to eat if you get close.

Well, all zombies do that, but he's better at it.

He gets up and goes after you at a specific point. I want to say it's after you complete the key trap? But more to the point: You can't burn him. Like, you can go through the motions of it (and waste the gas to do so), but he won't be properly disposed of.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Leavemywife posted:

I'm not very familiar with the REmake, so I've gotta ask why not to burn that zombie.

As others have said it’s a crimson head from the start and will rise and attack you if you attempt to burn it.

It’s scripted to wake up when you run through that corridor to swap the fake key for the real one, but you can ignore it and just run straight through the door. It’s placement changes when you come back down again so you shouldn’t ever have to fight it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that particular crimson head is a homie too, if you stagger right he'll kill the other zombie in the hallway for you

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Well, that's kinda dumb. Why even have the zombie there before it's relevant? It'd be spookier if you were going back and there's just a face down zombie that you definitely didn't leave there.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Foreshadowing? I mean, it's not like setting up an "oh, I have a bad feeling about this" situation is unusual for horror games, or even necessarily a bad thing.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

There’s more than one downed zombie that may or may not do anything to you. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the downed zombie outside the 1F west save room do anything. Once the hunters appear it despawns.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Lord Ludikrous posted:

There’s more than one downed zombie that may or may not do anything to you. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the downed zombie outside the 1F west save room do anything. Once the hunters appear it despawns.

Yeah that zombie never rises I don't think, or if it does then it is only at a very specific point that most people likely won't see. Pretty sure that one there is just to make the player nervous about using that save room.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There's also Forest, who will sit on his rear end on the eastern balcony until you try to take his beloved grenade launcher.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah that zombie never rises I don't think, or if it does then it is only at a very specific point that most people likely won't see. Pretty sure that one there is just to make the player nervous about using that save room.

I think if the player is doing stuff as intended on a first run, it's partially also there for the player to think, huh, so I can use the fuel in here to torch zombies to kill them permanently? Huh, let me try this body right here.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Cardiovorax posted:

There's also Forest, who will sit on his rear end on the eastern balcony until you try to take his beloved grenade launcher.

Unless you get Barry to show up there and Forrest will chicken out due to Barry's overwhelming dadliness.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I want to say i have seen him get up but i don't know what triggers it

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Cardiovorax posted:

He never got up when I took his weapon. It turns out, you need to fully explore the area to make him wake up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I prefer to think that it is his outrage at the gubmint taking his gun from his cold, dead hands.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

There's one zombie in the stairwell with the crows - it's the door behind Kenneth's corpse. I'm pretty sure he is meant to be the zombie that busts through the balcony door on the west side of the mansion when you go back to get the serum for Richard. He disappears from the hallway you find him in after you pick up one of the keys. They're remarkably consistent with the zombies except for that one outside the west save room.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Leavemywife posted:

Well, that's kinda dumb. Why even have the zombie there before it's relevant? It'd be spookier if you were going back and there's just a face down zombie that you definitely didn't leave there.

He's the very first crimson head you meet, so until he gets up and starts running at you there's no reason to believe he's any different from the myriad other bodies littering the mansion. It's a very effective moment first time through.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Toaster Beef posted:

He's the very first crimson head you meet, so until he gets up and starts running at you there's no reason to believe he's any different from the myriad other bodies littering the mansion. It's a very effective moment first time through.

Oh, that makes more sense! I really need to go play the Remake again. It's been a very long time.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Scalding Coffee posted:

He never got up when I took his weapon. It turns out, you need to fully explore the area to make him wake up.

Yeah you have to head down to where the herbs are around the corner and that triggers him. Not worth it in my opinion, without a defensive item you’ll likely take a hit that requires use of the herbs you just took.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, Forrest only appears when "One Tough Zombie" mode is active. An AFAIK once it's active, it can't be turned off.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Grimthwacker posted:

Yeah, Forrest only appears when "One Tough Zombie" mode is active. An AFAIK once it's active, it can't be turned off.
I'm pretty sure Forest gets up on that balcony completely independent of that, One Tough Zombie just makes him have a chance of showing up literally anywhere and replacing a regular zombie.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
on the subject of shambling zombies that cannot be stopped without destroying everything, lowtax did a bad

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

Not sure if there is a RE Discord? Either way, heads up, site is in for some cool times

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!

Convex posted:

on the subject of shambling zombies that cannot be stopped without destroying everything, lowtax did a bad

Not sure if there is a RE Discord? Either way, heads up, site is in for some cool times

If all this does get shut down I just wanted to say this is one of the best threads in the internet.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Convex posted:

My gut instinct is starting to tell me that every single person secretly sucks. The only people I'm aware of that don't suck are Patrick Stewart and Danny DeVito.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Convex posted:

"So long, SA."

E: Please someone make an RE Discord, this is one of the best drat threads on the forum :(

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's been a blast posting with you goons. gently caress Lowtax.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

At first
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN1vhv0PV1s

The horror...the carnage...the loss of life....

But then
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmOm5KyreRk

Everything is fine. Let's just chill among the hundreds of thousands of corpses.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Given that it has been a long time, was there any mention of Wesker between Re1 and his appearance in CV?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

In files, I suppose, but only as leader of STARS. As far as I know he pretty much just dropped off the face of the Earth until CV otherwise. It's why the reveal was played up so hard.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'd like to see a side game that goes into more detail into the original Odd Couple from Resident Evil 0... I am of course referring to best buds Wesker and Birkin

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'd like to see a side game that goes into more detail into the original Odd Couple from Resident Evil 0... I am of course referring to best buds Wesker and Birkin

This kinda relates to the "is there anything that talks about Wesker?" question because I remember back when I was a huge, huge RE nerd and read all the translated stuff I could find (and there's a lot. Japan takes their RE plot very seriously) there were thee things called Wesker's Report 1 and 2. Wesker's Report 2 I think it was goes into great detail about his history with Birkin as well as a lot of other stuff related to development of monsters, the G-Virus, etc..

This i all post-CV as far as I can recall.... It's been a long time. I pretty much checked out of the RE franchise with RE5.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
umbrella chronicles' meta story is basically wesker lounging around like a super villain reminiscing about what he was doing during every game in the series that got him to his dr doom throne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I remember thinking way back when I first played RE4 that Wesker was actually operating from inside that spy satellite they focus on in his appearance in that game. It was my first RE game but I was like why wouldn't this guy have a super villain space station, he just seemed like that sort of dude.