Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I know it does and I can absolutely see the argument, I just don't want this thread to break down in a political debate barely more than a full page after so many people went "man, this is the best thread on the forums and I wish I could take it along."

It would be such a sad capstone to the heartwarming moment, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I don’t think anyone is gonna turn the RE thread into a political battleground, people are just observing that it’s the underlying theme of the games. Hell, I understood that even as a 12 year old.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Alright, just saying. Let's not let this turn bad, please.

That said, I was pretty chuffed that in the end, it was crashing stock prices that killed Umbrella, not an international outcry at their horrible human rights violances or blatant transgressions against any and all biological arms treaties that have ever been signed by anyone anywhere. It was depressingly realistic and believable, probably the single most realistic thing Capcom has ever done in all of Resident Evil as a series.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The villains turning out to be psuedoscientific whacko eugenicists who have no idea what they're doing but who are old money CEOs was also pretty realistic.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That much has been known since Wesker's Report 1, I think. The entire Progenitor Virus project was just Oswell Spencer's personal pet attempt at immortality. The bioweapons were half money-maker and half experimenting on other people rather than himself first.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

man nurse posted:

Later RE games are more about acts of terrorism using biological warfare, but yes, the core of the series has always been the corruption of corporations and their effects.

Even then though the terrorism is the side effect of corporations (mostly Old money) selling biological weapons (and arguably even promoting warfare to do so.)

Tricell in RE5, The Family in RE6, Mia's company in RE7. Il Vetro was a terrorist organization but the main architect of everything was Lansdale who was working with Tricell, Rev 2 was another Wesker working for Umbrella (even if she continued after Umbrella's technical downfall...)

Which is to be honest one of the things I like about it. I know people were disappointed that RE7 ended up being More Virus poo poo but I prefer it remain firmly about how much old money and lovely corporations suck even if it's repetitive. The fact that RE7 felt like Wacky Jack needed moments of empathy for the damage inflicted on his family through his own attempt at an act of kindness really helps set something like RE7 apart for me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ventro was explicitly a false flag operation started by rich people who had more to lose from the threat of bioterrorism being gone than they to gain, so yeah.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cardiovorax posted:

That much has been known since Wesker's Report 1, I think. The entire Progenitor Virus project was just Oswell Spencer's personal pet attempt at immortality. The bioweapons were half money-maker and half experimenting on other people rather than himself first.

My favorite thing is that as soon as they found the magic king flower/virus/whatever the Ashford on the expedition immediately crammed it down his gob because he was sure he'd become a god and just died. Never stop Ashfording, Ashfords.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

marshmallow creep posted:

I have never heard this to my knowledge. Link?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcRzfew3_TY

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ImpAtom posted:

Il Vetro was a terrorist organization but the main architect of everything was Lansdale who was working with Tricell,

Not exactly. Lansdale used a disposable student group to attack an easily-quarantined, newly-founded city-state in order to convince people that bio-terrorism was in fact a big deal, which was broadly hinted to be necessary due to various rear end-covering methods employed by governments and corporations worldwide.

As far as we know, Lansdale was working entirely for himself. Jessica, on the other hand, was working for both him and Excella.

man nurse posted:

I don’t think anyone is gonna turn the RE thread into a political battleground, people are just observing that it’s the underlying theme of the games. Hell, I understood that even as a 12 year old.

Yeah, it absolutely is a primary ingredient in the series's lore, particularly in RE0, RE3, and even some scenarios in Outbreak.

Even when a corporation isn't explicitly to blame for whatever's going on at the time, i.e. RE6 or Revelations 2, the antagonists are instead moneyed interests who don't regard the working class as legitimately human. You can draw a pretty straight line between Alex using her good reputation among the islanders in R2 to cover up her crimes against them and, say, Elon Musk stans.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

All this talk of capitalism now makes me want a Resident Evil Tycoon game. Having to design a base to contain bioweapons, keep out police/STARS/BSAA/Claire AND be fancy enough to appease weirdos in charge sounds kinda great?

Also Wesker as the Dungeon Keeper Narrator would be amazing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Not exactly. Lansdale used a disposable student group to attack an easily-quarantined, newly-founded city-state in order to convince people that bio-terrorism was in fact a big deal, which was broadly hinted to be necessary due to various rear end-covering methods employed by governments and corporations worldwide.

As far as we know, Lansdale was working entirely for himself. Jessica, on the other hand, was working for both him and Excella.

Yeah, it absolutely is a primary ingredient in the series's lore, particularly in RE0, RE3, and even some scenarios in Outbreak.

Even when a corporation isn't explicitly to blame for whatever's going on at the time, i.e. RE6 or Revelations 2, the antagonists are instead moneyed interests who don't regard the working class as legitimately human. You can draw a pretty straight line between Alex using her good reputation among the islanders in R2 to cover up her crimes against them and, say, Elon Musk stans.

Ah, thanks for the correction. I forgot the details for Rev1. I thought Lansdale provided the T-Abyss virus with help from Tricell for some reason as part of the false flag.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Capitalism is never zero-sum. Don't know where these people get that idea.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

All this talk of capitalism now makes me want a Resident Evil Tycoon game. Having to design a base to contain bioweapons, keep out police/STARS/BSAA/Claire AND be fancy enough to appease weirdos in charge sounds kinda great?

My list of dream Resident Evil spinoff games that will never be made.

1. A Resident Evil roguelike. You start off as a survivor in a randomized city with randomized loot and enemy spawns and have to survive. Other survivors may help or be a hindrance and you can choose to open your game up to others online, who may choose to help you or screw you over Nicolai style.

2. Resident Evil XCOM, where you command squads of rookies in the BSAA to combat terror threats across the globe. When not fighting bioweapons, you are investing in infrastructure, researching new weapons and technologies and counters to the various parasites and viruses in the game.

3. Resident Evil Genius. Play as Oswald Spencer as you construct elaborate mansions and bases that have obtuse puzzles that make no sense, research new bioweapons and send agents across the globe to be dicks while fending off UN investigators.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Resident Evil Genius

:hmmyes:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The monkey paw closes. Resident Evil Builder is announced as a free to play mobile game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mr. Fortitude posted:

My list of dream Resident Evil spinoff games that will never be made.

1. A Resident Evil roguelike. You start off as a survivor in a randomized city with randomized loot and enemy spawns and have to survive. Other survivors may help or be a hindrance and you can choose to open your game up to others online, who may choose to help you or screw you over Nicolai style.
There was something like this years ago and you can even be a zombie that mutates into stronger forms as you eat people. Being a zombie means you were slow as hell and being turn-based has you get utterly destroyed until the infestation spreads a month into the game.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I always thought it was kinda neat how RE4 drew a comparison between corporations and cults by having Saddler basically living out Spencer's wet dream

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You have to let some police/STARS/BSAA in.

After all, how else are you supposed to get that sweet, sweet combat data.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Sometimes I replay RE4 and think for a minute that like hundreds of years before the crazy corporate super science that is the series loving bread and butter started a bunch of Spanish European knights somehow encountered, fought and contained below a giant castle an entire varied species of naturally occurring giant body snatching insects.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Caidin posted:

Sometimes I replay RE4 and think for a minute that like hundreds of years before the crazy corporate super science that is the series loving bread and butter started a bunch of Spanish European knights somehow encountered, fought and contained below a giant castle an entire varied species of naturally occurring giant body snatching insects.

Sir Kennedy: Sir Mike! Noooooo!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Caidin posted:

I always thought that would've been the sequel hook of a lifetime. RE4, medieval edition.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Oh yeah. Stuff like the plagas parasite, NE-α Type and progenitor virus are natural in the RE universe, not man made. A historical game featuring some poor dude having to deal with monsters would be pretty cool.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
About 2/3 through a RE4 replay and I think what makes it stand out the most are the layouts and the overall variety. The village, the bridges, the castle; all feel different and set up enemies in ways that let you use your whole arsenal and adopt different strategies. I also thought it was a cool touch to for once show us WHY they leave exploding barrels everywhere (to load those flaming catapults).

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Wanderer posted:

I always thought that would've been the sequel hook of a lifetime. RE4, medieval edition.

Thou wisheth for STARS? Cometh and conquer them!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I only played the re3 demo once, when it came out. I had a dream last night I was playing the game (but also actually in it?) And I was in this jungle area and nemesis was chasing me, talking at me like Thanos and explaining his being and was virtually impossible to dodge. I had to make it to this elevator and I always did but yet had to keep restarting the whole sequence

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

About 2/3 through a RE4 replay and I think what makes it stand out the most are the layouts and the overall variety. The village, the bridges, the castle; all feel different and set up enemies in ways that let you use your whole arsenal and adopt different strategies. I also thought it was a cool touch to for once show us WHY they leave exploding barrels everywhere (to load those flaming catapults).

I think the only kinda major flaw RE4 has is that it goes on a bit too long. Its length does it credit but would anyone deny the Village and Castle are way, way better than the Island? The Village has the best horror atmosphere and the Castle has the best cheesy RE4 flavor. The island has Regenerators and Krauser and Back Up, all of which rule, but that's about it.

EDIT:
I forgot Laser Hallway and Leon on Saddler's throne. Those were great, too.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 28, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I honestly like the island, but it feels like I'm one of the few people who do sometimes. It has a very unique atmosphere of its own.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah I love the island.

I think a big part of it is that unlike the village and the castle, the island goes into horror movie territory that isn't as well-remembered because the movies were goofy as hell but to me it's very reminiscent of like Hell of the Living Dead, Zombie 3 and 5, Nightmare City, etc. But then it also does stuff that really does stand out on its own like the regenerator area. Such an awesome game.

To me the real issue with the island is that you start to feel the lack of enemy variety. Like the monks are a totally different flavor of enemy from the villagers even if a lot of the animations are the same. The island adds the big Mad Max 2 looking dudes but most of the behavior and moves feel too much like the villagers again. So it's like not a familiar enough feeling but overly familiar with how it plays.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 28, 2020

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

NikkolasKing posted:

I think the only kinda major flaw RE4 has is that it goes on a bit too long. Its length does it credit but would anyone deny the Village and Castle are way, way better than the Island? The Village has the best horror atmosphere and the Castle has the best cheesy RE4 flavor. The island has Regenerators and Krauser and Back Up, all of which rule, but that's about it.

EDIT:
I forgot Laser Hallway and Leon on Saddler's throne. Those were great, too.

Oven Man is pretty memorable too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah I love the island.

I think a big part of it is that unlike the village and the castle, the island goes into horror movie territory that isn't as well-remembered because the movies were goofy as hell but to me it's very reminiscent of like Hell of the Living Dead, Zombie 3 and 5, Nightmare City, etc. But then it also does stuff that really does stand out on its own like the regenerator area. Such an awesome game.

To me the real issue with the island is that you start to feel the lack of enemy variety. Like the monks are a totally different flavor of enemy from the villagers even if a lot of the animations are the same. The island adds the big Mad Max 2 looking dudes but most of the behavior and moves feel too much like the villagers again. So it's like not a familiar enough feeling but overly familiar with how it plays.

The Soldier Ganados stand out to me because of the noises they made. They are the most inhuman of all the human enemies and when you shoot them they sound like animals being wounded.

Kinda makes me feel bad.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
The later parts of the Castle and most of the Island segment always get jumbled in my memory. Hell, I don't remember what the island was supposed to be. The Castle/Village relationship is pretty well established but then you kinda just gently caress off in a boat to an island. Is it an abandoned military base the cult took over? Is it on a lake or in the ocean? I just remember Leon riding up to it and looking at Ada's rear end.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Bloodcider posted:

The later parts of the Castle and most of the Island segment always get jumbled in my memory. Hell, I don't remember what the island was supposed to be. The Castle/Village relationship is pretty well established but then you kinda just gently caress off in a boat to an island. Is it an abandoned military base the cult took over? Is it on a lake or in the ocean? I just remember Leon riding up to it and looking at Ada's rear end.
It's a more contained place where the cult does its more technology-reliant experimentation on plagas. It's where they built the regenerators and figured out the connection between plaga and host in enough detail to know how to remove them even in an advanced state of infection.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
How could anyone forget MIIIIIIIIKE

Four-Eyes
Nov 3, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
I forget half of the castle. Was watching an LP of it and got genuinely surprised by that massive room with the lava and rotating platforms.

Definitely a bit long in the tooth, but I wouldn't cut the Island, if only because the Regenerators torment me even now.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I think I'd cut some of the sewers and the Novidistir novadest invisible bug cave. They felt like padding to me when I last replayed the game (finished last night). And those guys are annoying as gently caress.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's all about how you deal with them. Sewer novistadors die well to rifle shots, you just have to look for the glowy spots their eyes make and kill them before they notice you, which is fairly easy. Cave novistadors die to a single shot of anything as long as they are flying, so they are prime territory for using that riot shotgun you've been saving for a rainy day. Line it up right and you can easily take them out three at a time.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've forgotten almost everything about the game so I can't comment on the island.

I've just been genuinely impressed with the varying layouts, enemy variety, stuff to buy, secrets and different ways to go about things. Reminded me of why I dug the game so much in the first place and cemented how shallow and linear RE3 remake really was in comparison, even though I still enjoyed it. Plus, it's the only game I can think of where escorting isn't a HUGE detracting element, which is an accomplishment in and of itself. RE4 struck a really nice balance with that particular mechanic.

RE3make is just not addictive in the way the better games in the series are and doesn't seem to offer the "this time I'll do THIS instead" factor that drives replayability. RE4 is giving me several different ways to approach things and has a way of making me learn as I go or fail. When I die, it doesn't feel cheap or scripted, but rather offers more of an "aha, yes, try THIS instead" game play mechanic.

It's real loving good.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Cardiovorax posted:

It's all about how you deal with them. Sewer novistadors die well to rifle shots, you just have to look for the glowy spots their eyes make and kill them before they notice you, which is fairly easy. Cave novistadors die to a single shot of anything as long as they are flying, so they are prime territory for using that riot shotgun you've been saving for a rainy day. Line it up right and you can easily take them out three at a time.

I don't have trouble killing them or problems getting through those sections, I just don't like those enemies. It mostly stems from my original playthrough where I pretty much only used a pistol, which makes those guys a bit trickier.

And then I encountered Regenerators with just a handgun...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fair enough. I usually dislike enemies in direct proportion to tedious it is to deal with them, and there are so few novis that I tend to forget they're even there. I find the blind knife guys with the plagas on their backs so much more annoying, because everything grinds to a halt while you kill them in a tiny tiny room.