Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Cardiovorax posted:

Raid mode is basically a wave-based action-RPG mode, with loot, leveling, stats and skills, different character classes, etc. It depends on whether you think that would be interesting to you. Personally, I couldn't really get into it, but some people think it's the best part of the game.

It sounds sort of interesting. I think I'll get the bundle and RE7. I want to get RE3Make too, but that kicks the price up from $45 to $75, and that's before tax.

Although in saying that, I might end up changing my mind and buy RE3Make separately tomorrow. Ideally, I should maybe wait until I play RE3Classic before I buy RE3Make, but it's not like that's ever stopped me before. :shepspends: :gaben:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ve only played the remakes of 1 (with the new controls lol), 2 and 3. I just can’t hang with tank controls.:blush:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’ve only played the remakes of 1 (with the new controls lol), 2 and 3. I just can’t hang with tank controls.:blush:

I got through the original version of 1 as Jill without too much fuss, but then I was following a guide. Still, I didn't have too much trouble getting around and taking out enemies. I dunno, maybe by the time I get to the end of RE2Classic, I'll be of a different mind, but I don't really have an huge issue with tank controls. :shrug:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tank controls clicked for me when I stopped imagining them being like whatever the hell I imagine a tank drives like and realized they're not that different than a wheelchair or pushing a shopping cart in the grocery store or whatever.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Revelations 1 is still good, don't listen to what Goons say. It's a really enjoyable solo player experience. Revalations 2 has a better story but much like 5, it's better than it has any business being if you play couch co-op.

RE2 Remake is still worth $60 because it's such a fun loving game with tons of replay value and the DLC just expands on it and tests how good you really are.

RE3 remake is just a one and done experience. There's no branching paths or alternate characters to play so the peak is just Bitch can't even swim

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

Revelations 1 is still good, don't listen to what Goons say. It's a really enjoyable solo player experience. Revalations 2 has a better story but much like 5, it's better than it has any business being if you play couch co-op.

RE2 Remake is still worth $60 because it's such a fun loving game with tons of replay value and the DLC just expands on it and tests how good you really are.

RE3 remake is just a one and done experience. There's no branching paths or alternate characters to play so the peak is just Bitch can't even swim

I've already got RE2 Remake. I just want to play the original first to compare.

As dumb as it sounds, RE3 Nemesis is the one that I've wanted to play for the longest time. I think it's because I remember seeing it on a kiosk at an Electronics Boutique years ago. I've heard it's the weakest of the original trilogy and the Remakes, but that doesn't really deter me.

Couch co-op for Revelations 2 and RE5 I don't think is real viable for me. Even if I could get a comfortable setup around my PC, I don't really have anyone to join me for co-op. I thought about asking my dad, since he like the RE movies, and hasn't played any of the games, but I imagine he would struggle with it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you really don't need to co-op revelations 2, i think comparing it to RE5 in that way is really unfair. in RE5 the AI can get you game overs by getting hit by instant death QTEs. in Rev 2 the ai will follow you around and do nothing because it is almost never required for combat. i don't think your dad would really struggle with the co-op in that game though because the co-op partners are mostly not expected to attack anything. he may struggle with the controls tho depending on how much of a gamer he is, but again, the companions aren't combat focused.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Yeah your co-op partner in story either A) runs around with a flashlight and a crowbar or B) has a psychic sense and can see enemy weakspots, depending on which scenario you're in.

Beyond that they just find hidden items and act as a pack mule.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

rabidsquid posted:

you really don't need to co-op revelations 2, i think comparing it to RE5 in that way is really unfair. in RE5 the AI can get you game overs by getting hit by instant death QTEs. in Rev 2 the ai will follow you around and do nothing because it is almost never required for combat. i don't think your dad would really struggle with the co-op in that game though because the co-op partners are mostly not expected to attack anything. he may struggle with the controls tho depending on how much of a gamer he is, but again, the companions aren't combat focused.
One of them is. Which is not surprising for an RE game, where CQC is often quite effective.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Yo they should make a new Dino Crisis with a Mr. X-style persistent T-Rex (Mr. T).

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Has anyone modded Mr T into RE2?

Catpain Blackudder
Jul 25, 2009

Cluck, cluck, gibber, gibber, my old man's a mushroom, et cetera.
OG RE2?

I made a crappy low effort one (with the A Team theme playing when he walks in) for a small RE community I'm part of

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Catching up on this thread the last few days (for the first time since RE:3:RE came out, there's another reference to Outbreak in Resistance (which I've watched a few youtube videos on only recently as well). The nerd girl survivor is noted as having interned for Umbrella in NEST, and it specifically notes she started getting cold feet toward Umbrella when a co-intern/worker developed amnesia due to a traumatic experiment, or something along the lines of that wording.

Which is totally referring to/referencing Yoko from Outbreak, just short of actually naming her.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Catpain Blackudder posted:

OG RE2?

I made a crappy low effort one (with the A Team theme playing when he walks in) for a small RE community I'm part of

:lmao: please update for the remake

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

SeANMcBAY posted:

They’re fun games to watch if you haven’t experienced the originals. Lot of great memories of watching my friends play them when I was younger. Staying up late when you’re twelve and experiencing one of these games for the first time is a high you chase for the rest of your life.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Open Marriage Night posted:

They’re fun games to watch if you haven’t experienced the originals. Lot of great memories of watching my friends play them when I was younger. Staying up late when you’re twelve and experiencing one of these games for the first time is a high you chase for the rest of your life.

I’ve watched LPs of them and I appreciate what they are. Maybe someday I’ll give them a try.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Well, what started as test run for Chris in RE1 ended up as a whole run.

I fumbled about here and there, so I ended up being over-par for the time needed to unlock one of the special items. :argh: Six saves isn't actually accurate; I ended up using save states for the run.

I thought the layout would be mostly identical to Jill's, but I noticed that there were some zombies and other enemies that showed up in areas I wasn't expecting. Zombies actually seemed a bit harder to kill than with Jill, thought I don't know if that's because they have more health, or because I just wasn't as good with aiming and positioning (I thought Chris had a higher likelihood to hit enemies with critical damage).

The section that gave me the most trouble (and most deaths) was the 2nd fight with Yawn, because it's hard to dodge him when he coils up and you get trapped in a corner. At least he doesn't poison you during the second round. The flamethrower weapon feels kind of half-baked (rimshot), but then it seems like it's meant to be more of a puzzle item than an actual weapon.

Overall, I didn't enjoy quite as much as Jill's campaign, but it was still pretty good. Switching off to play as Rebecca was interesting, and Chris's lines are pretty fun

quote:

*Chris and Rebecca beat Plant 42*

Rebecca: "Oh! I can't believe it! Are you okay?"

Chris: "Yeah! So much for him! We got to the 'root' of the problem!"
:allears:

Interestingly, when clicked away from Chris's end results screen, I got this message.

I thought maybe you got this for finishing the game with both Jill and Chris, but from a quick search, it sound like you just get from beating the game as Chris (I guess since his campaign is the Hard Mode).

-

Since I didn't finish the game under three hours, I ended up downloading save games with the special items unlocked, which were on the Arrange Mode. I didn't run through the whole game, but some of the new camera angles I thought looked better than the ones in the the original campaign, but it seems like for the most part, everything's switched up, and there are more enemies.

I guess now I can move on to RE2.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 20, 2020

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Man, og RE2 is still so loving good

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

I thought maybe you got this for finishing the game with both Jill and Chris, but from a quick search, it sound like you just get from beating the game as Chris (I guess since his campaign is the Hard Mode).
I definitely read that as sarcastic.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Good soup! posted:

Man, og RE2 is still so loving good

If one can enjoy that kind of game I maintain it’s the best of the bunch before REmake and even then I’d consider it a tie.

Though if it wasn’t for it’s weird puzzles Dino Crisis would be on top.

By the way Max Wilco you should definitely play Dino Crisis. It’s Resident Evil in everything but name.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

By the way Max Wilco you should definitely play Dino Crisis. It’s Resident Evil in everything but name.
It feels like the first pass at an RE game to me, before they’ve worked out the kinks, there’s just something off about it at times.

Actually, I get a sort of similar feeling with code veronica occassionaly, though that game certainly has higher highs, so calling it RE is probably still fair. Just of the “You have to be really into it” variety.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

dino crisis is very action oriented

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don’t see that at all. It could have certainly used more varied regular enemies but there’s a depth to its inventory, resources, and even healing system that I don’t ever remember being replicated. Maybe that’s because I’m the only one who enjoyed it but I really enjoyed it. It even did the ”monster chases you through loading screens” before RE3 did, though both are Capcom games so they probably shared the idea.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

I don’t see that at all. It could have certainly used more varied regular enemies but there’s a depth to its inventory, resources, and even healing system that I don’t ever remember being replicated. Maybe that’s because I’m the only one who enjoyed it but I really enjoyed it. It even did the ”monster chases you through loading screens” before RE3 did, though both are Capcom games so they probably shared the idea.
I’m probably more an environments guy, which definitely felt weaker in dino crisis.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
RE7 question, without spoilers, how close am I to the end? I am currently playing as Mia on the ship, and just went through the video tape campaign and am chasing Eveline on the wrecked ship

I stupidly thought last night "Yay I escaped the house, I must be almost done, Just like RE2 was done when you escape the Police Station and Code Veronica was over when you escape the island! and ended up staying up waaaay too late.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Max Wilco posted:

Well, what started as test run for Chris in RE1 ended up as a whole run.

I fumbled about here and there, so I ended up being over-par for the time needed to unlock one of the special items. :argh: Six saves isn't actually accurate; I ended up using save states for the run.

I thought the layout would be mostly identical to Jill's, but I noticed that there were some zombies and other enemies that showed up in areas I wasn't expecting. Zombies actually seemed a bit harder to kill than with Jill, thought I don't know if that's because they have more health, or because I just wasn't as good with aiming and positioning (I thought Chris had a higher likelihood to hit enemies with critical damage).

The section that gave me the most trouble (and most deaths) was the 2nd fight with Yawn, because it's hard to dodge him when he coils up and you get trapped in a corner. At least he doesn't poison you during the second round. The flamethrower weapon feels kind of half-baked (rimshot), but then it seems like it's meant to be more of a puzzle item than an actual weapon.

Overall, I didn't enjoy quite as much as Jill's campaign, but it was still pretty good. Switching off to play as Rebecca was interesting, and Chris's lines are pretty fun

:allears:

Interestingly, when clicked away from Chris's end results screen, I got this message.

-

Since I didn't finish the game under three hours, I ended up downloading save games with the special items unlocked, which were on the Arrange Mode. I didn't run through the whole game, but some of the new camera angles I thought looked better than the ones in the the original campaign, but it seems like for the most part, everything's switched up, and there are more enemies.

I guess now I can move on to RE2.

whoa, dont think i've ever seen that chris finished stat screen before. its been awhile since i finished with chris tho, im not even sure i did it on anything but the saturn version. did he have another one or am i just misremembering

also that tough message, i got it with jill the last time i played, i think its for a time under 5 hours with the best ending, not 100% sure.

and yeah save arrange mode if you fancy another run through, i like mixing it up everytime i play depending on what mode i played last. keeps me guessing about where poo poo is.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 20, 2020

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Medullah posted:

RE7 question, without spoilers, how close am I to the end? I am currently playing as Mia on the ship, and just went through the video tape campaign and am chasing Eveline on the wrecked ship

I stupidly thought last night "Yay I escaped the house, I must be almost done, Just like RE2 was done when you escape the Police Station and Code Veronica was over when you escape the island! and ended up staying up waaaay too late.

You're in the last like quarter of the game. Maybe two hours left if you really take your time.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Beyond Dino Crisis and Silent Hill, Parasite Eve is kinda similar except combat is more RPG based.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

If one can enjoy that kind of game I maintain it’s the best of the bunch before REmake and even then I’d consider it a tie.

Though if it wasn’t for it’s weird puzzles Dino Crisis would be on top.

I think I bought Dino Crisis on PSN, I just never got around to playing it.

RealFoxy posted:

Beyond Dino Crisis and Silent Hill, Parasite Eve is kinda similar except combat is more RPG based.

Parasite Eve I remember watching a LP on YouTube years ago, but I thought about giving it a run-through.

Parasite Eve 2 I remember hearing some mixed things about. I don't think any of it was bad, just that it wasn't as good as the first.

-

Honestly, my plan was to check out a bunch of PS1 survival horror games, though mostly the obscure ones (Hellnight, The Note, Countdown Vampires, etc.).

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Someone I grew up with had dino crisis, never played it myself I just remember that no one could ever beat it, they just got stuck and couldn't figure out what to do. That's like original Tomb Raider, when I couldn't seem to get past this certain level, it wouldn't end when it should have and even level skip code wouldn't make it advance

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Parasite Eve 2 is a much different game and closer to playing like RE than the first one. You know, if RE had hit points, magic points, radar scanners and ammo gauges all over the screen.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

codo27 posted:

Someone I grew up with had dino crisis, never played it myself I just remember that no one could ever beat it, they just got stuck and couldn't figure out what to do. That's like original Tomb Raider, when I couldn't seem to get past this certain level, it wouldn't end when it should have and even level skip code wouldn't make it advance

Man playing video games was hard before the interwebs. If it wasn't up on Gamefaqs, you were out of luck if you were stuck. One of the reasons I love the original Resident Evil 1 and 2 is because I figured them out by myself, and ended up getting so good at speed runs of 1 that I actually wrote a faq for it on my Windows 3.1 machine.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I remember an older kid at school saying he would sell me a strategy guide for ff7 for $2 and he just printed it off gamefaqs, on the school computer/printer, full of blank streaks from low toner

Did I ever regale you guys with the story of having to give testimony in a lawsuit of Gamewinners vs CheatCC?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

codo27 posted:

I remember an older kid at school saying he would sell me a strategy guide for ff7 for $2 and he just printed it off gamefaqs, on the school computer/printer, full of blank streaks from low toner

Did I ever regale you guys with the story of having to give testimony in a lawsuit of Gamewinners vs CheatCC?

lol

no, but please do.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

site posted:

For years as a kid I would swear up and down that there was a room I had seen where you could use a key after the game tells you you can safely discard it and you would get an item but they just want you to know you're done with it

It could be that I just had it stowed away, but I think might be the case, as I think I disposed of the Armor key despite not opening one of the doors in the hallway where the shotgun trap is. It's not a critical area though; just the balcony with a bunch of green herbs.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

codo27 posted:

The proudest day of my life was when I was at the arcade playing Mortal Kombat 2 and a kid sat down to play with me and smugly pulled out a moves list that he printed out from Gamefaqs that I had written. So proud.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Medullah posted:

The proudest day of my life was when I was at the arcade playing Mortal Kombat 2 and a kid sat down to play with me and smugly pulled out a moves list that he printed out from Gamefaqs that I had written. So proud.

Bet I would have you both for breakfast. I was all world at MK2 up until a few years back. God I miss it. Why'd they have to ruin the last couple games

It really isn't that great of a story but Gamewinners used to be a great site for cheats and especially tips/hints too. I added some of my own when I'd figure things out. Encyclopedic library of titles. One day I was contacted by them after cheatcc had sued them claiming stolen content, and it turned out that ccc had straight up copy pasted all of their content, including the stuff I had added to the site, and saying gw had stolen from them. Incredibly bold and shady. So I basically had to testify via fax that I had submitted to gw not ccc. I know game winners doesn't exist anymore like it used to, but I believe they were part of the same network as gamefaqs. Between those two, that was your one stop shop for any game info.

I remember printing off poo poo for the old wrestling games like WWF war zone and smackdown, these guides on how to get Leon Kennedy or Wesker or [insert other popular character], thinking that by inputting the values in create a wrestler they they would magically transform into them once you did all the settings right, not just what someone considered to look like them cobbled together from what was available in game. Ah, to be 10 again

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hahaha I also wrote a FAQ for WWF Warzone! I was definitely the best in my area (a group of us nerds would travel arcades and beat anyone playing), but I never played it at any real level.

Woo hoo! I beat RE7! As someone that never finished 5 and never played more than 10 minutes of 6, did Umbrella become good guys? Or is that the stinger, wondering why Chris is with them?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Bluebrella is supposed to be a reformation of the company as anti-BOW police looking to "atone", which is why Chris is there in a leadership and frontline position. The storyline hasn't progressed past that idea until whatever RE8 is going to give us.

End of Zoe spoiler: They get utterly rolled in EoZ and lose a ton of men to regular molded and a unique swamp monster, so they're definitely carrying on the spirit of Umbrella... on the other hand they seem capable and willing to actually help and cure people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I spent way too much time reading PresidentEvil's posts on Gamefaqs