Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Ghosts ‘n Goblins Resurrection is on the RE engine. :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Resident *flees from chainsaw guy* Evil *fights Del Lago* 4 *fights El Gigante* isn't *fights Right Hand* scary. *gets boxed in by mass mooks*

*does the cabin holdout and sees the first extended parasite mooks*
*fights the Chieftain*
*fights the first claw guys*
*fights El Gigantes in lava room and gets grabbed by death throes*
*fights the giant bugs*
*fights the weird motherfucker in the dropping box room*

:shrug: You seriously undersell RE4 if all you remember is that the regenerators are scary.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Convex posted:

I played with these settings like 3 years ago so it must have been fixed for quite a while!

I do vaguely remember the previous release of re4 having weird control issues, that might be it.

Also re4 is tense in parts but I definitely wouldn't call it scary

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Doomykins posted:

:shrug: You seriously undersell RE4 if all you remember is that the regenerators are scary.
It's tense and there's a lot of action going on in it, but that's not quite the same thing as being scary in horror kind of sense. Leon is far too comfortable with and in control of the situation for that to ever really work.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Why is RE8 confirmed on PS4 and Xbone but there's no pre-order on Amazon except for the new consoles?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Doomykins posted:

Resident *flees from chainsaw guy* Evil *fights Del Lago* 4 *fights El Gigante* isn't *fights Right Hand* scary. *gets boxed in by mass mooks*

*does the cabin holdout and sees the first extended parasite mooks*
*fights the Chieftain*
*fights the first claw guys*
*fights El Gigantes in lava room and gets grabbed by death throes*
*fights the giant bugs*
*fights the weird motherfucker in the dropping box room*

reading this and wondering how RE6 doesn't pass on this scale :v:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I was thinking of situations where I actually was a little scared, at least. Del Lago makes me vaguely uncomfortable the same way that all big enough to swallow you whole monsters do when you can actually be near them and they can actually(sort of with Del Lago) do it, Right Hand and Chieftain were hard fights for me blind and spooked me with intimidating designs and close quarter fights, claw guys are one of the first non-mooks that can really screw you up if you make mistakes. The design on extended parasite after headshot is really spot on, same as the box room horror. And the El Gigante lava grab is a genuine jump scare if you haven't heard of it! El Gigante is also pretty intimidating first time, even if you have the dog and pick up on things pretty fast. He's a bit unsettling in the same way any massive enemy that is faster than you but winds up when he reaches you is, that little internal clench when you perform the dodge.

I agree it's mostly great tense design but there are a few honest scares. It's not RE7, or RE1/RE2, or Amnesia/Soma/mom I'm scared of this dark hallway and sound design come pick me up. But RE4 isn't 100% too cheesy to feel it action, IMO. I did purposefully exclude moments where I did feel it was too cheesy to be scared. Robo-Salazar Statue, Krauser, Salazar and Saddler mostly, though they're very fun to fight and interact with.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i feel like remaster 2 does a good job of letting you have an arsenal that can let you kill any given monster while still feeling tense, and it mostly accomplished that by mixing up encounters. for the most part lickers aren't really that scary, but when you have a licker in a hallway with Mr. X pursuing you and you can't just carefully walk around it, it creates a lot of tension, which the game also lets you entirely sidestep with a single flash bang.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Personally I found myself far too busy preparing for the next qte to mash to have any fear regarding whichever boss fight I was currently in, that may have had something to do with why I don't think re4 is scary

It was always the parts where it's just a large group of guys trying to surround you where I found the game tense, because turning is so slow you can't always keep an eye on every one

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

Ghosts ‘n Goblins Resurrection is on the RE engine. :eyepop:

Are you loving kidding me? Shittendo switch only? Ffs

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

codo27 posted:

Are you loving kidding me? Shittendo switch only? Ffs

haha yeah. wait until you find out about revelations 3 later this year

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I dunno if "scary" is the right word but RE4 is definitely tense as hell.

Source: I'm bad.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

NonzeroCircle posted:

I dunno if "scary" is the right word but RE4 is definitely tense as hell.

Was about to post something similar.

4 had it's scary moments but wasn't scary in the way 7 is or even the way 1 thru 3 were. "Tense" is definitely a better word I think just for the series in general. Even with the original games, they weren't so much frightening as they were tense and played on the relief of finding a save room, an herb or some ammo, being freaked out by new enemies (Spiders, Hunters, the shark, the dogs) and being creeped out by the general atmosphere. They've always been cheesy, over the top, funny and "scary" in the way that something like Evil Dead is scary.

The best games in the series touch upon a sense of desperation and sometimes even outright panic. 4 hit the right beats from that standpoint and still delivered the atmosphere and b-movie campiness. For straight out scariness though I have to give it to RE7, which seemed to borrow a page or 2 from Outlast and, more importantly, gave me something unexpected and new.

And I think Evil Within 1 and 2 are scarier than any of them and gently caress with your head a lot more.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Never played the first Evil Within but what I played of 2 (not a lot, granted) was cool and I liked the horrible scissor lady.

Ongoing trip report of RE6:

Played Chris' campaign (as Piers) chapters 1 and 2. I'm not a massive fan of all the enemies with guns as ammo/healing seemed pretty tight (I don't want skill points dammit, give me a green herb to mix with these 3 red ones you gave me!) but it's also harder to do the melee stuff as I keep getting stunned. The J'avo seem more resilient than zombies too. Bridge fight was cool as Piers though.

Played the first 5 mins of Jake's campaign and am grinning like an idiot because I recognise this map from Rev2 raid mode and I'm beating poo poo up left right and centre.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dunno if sherry's stun rod does less damage than jake's fist of doom, but it sure feels like it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

NonzeroCircle posted:

Never played the first Evil Within but what I played of 2 (not a lot, granted) was cool and I liked the horrible scissor lady.

Ongoing trip report of RE6:

Played Chris' campaign (as Piers) chapters 1 and 2. I'm not a massive fan of all the enemies with guns as ammo/healing seemed pretty tight (I don't want skill points dammit, give me a green herb to mix with these 3 red ones you gave me!) but it's also harder to do the melee stuff as I keep getting stunned. The J'avo seem more resilient than zombies too. Bridge fight was cool as Piers though.

Played the first 5 mins of Jake's campaign and am grinning like an idiot because I recognise this map from Rev2 raid mode and I'm beating poo poo up left right and centre.

the j'avo are pretty tough outside of their weak points, which vary from "sets up a stun for a big melee finisher" to "completely trivializes the enemy." they can feel kind of bullet spongey if you aren't setting up the weak spots

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i dunno if sherry's stun rod does less damage than jake's fist of doom, but it sure feels like it.

Stun rod's more useful at breaking those crusty pods before something terrible pops out of them. Takes like two or three fully charged swings, but it's nice and no ammo gets spent.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
How is Revelations 2 solo? I haven't played either of them before. 1 is only solo because it was originally for 3DS, right?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

revelations 2 is almost definitely better solo, the partner character has either not very much combat agency (moira) or essentially zero combat agency (natalia)

i think it's harder to find someone who would have fun playing the sidekick than it is to do any parts that require partner switching

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the coop aspects of rev2 are very half baked and i vaguely recall that it was originally local only.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Moira can actually do a surprising amount of stuff in combat with her flashlight and crowbar. Can she use any of the subweapons? That would help too. I feel controlling Natalia would be pretty boring though, she can carry a single brick around to stun enemies or point out hidden items like the scanner thing in Rev1 does but that's it.

Solo there's a few scattered parts where having a second person is "intended" but they aren't horrible without one.

Whenever Rev2 comes up though I do feel the need to throw in a minor spoiler so you don't get the bad ending and have to replay 2 chapters to get the actual ending that is actually really good. No plot details in the spoiler box, just sort of gameplay. At the end of Claire's chapter 4 there's an option to complete a QTE as Claire or switch to Moira and complete it with her. Switch to Moira.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 27, 2021

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

rabidsquid posted:

revelations 2 is almost definitely better solo, the partner character has either not very much combat agency (moira) or essentially zero combat agency (natalia)
Yeah, Moira is more like a very strong meele stance you can switch into than a separate character, so she’s perfect for playing solo.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Cool, I was interested in playing them but the near mandatory co-op 5 in was a big turn off for me and that kept me from touching any of the others where co-op was involved at all. 6 is more like 5 in that aspect?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
6 has the greatest coop partner of all, Agent. i love that dude so much. otherwise, there's only really one fight in 6 where playing solo hurts and that's the last boss in chris' campaign. it works fine for the rest of the game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Shiroc posted:

Cool, I was interested in playing them but the near mandatory co-op 5 in was a big turn off for me and that kept me from touching any of the others where co-op was involved at all. 6 is more like 5 in that aspect?

6 is even more co-op focused than 5. In 5 you're generally both in the same place doing the same thing (which is almost exclusively shooting monsters), but 6 has a lot more sections where, say, one section crawls through a vent to unlock a door for the other person, or vehicle sections where one person drives while the other shoots, stuff like that.

I'll say that my partner and I played through 6 in co-op and had an absolute blast with each other, but that was more down to us having fun cooperating and doing neat things like setting up a stun attack for your partner, or going back to back to fight off a horde.

My opinion? It's a bad Resident Evil game, but a really fun co-op shooter. If you don't have a buddy who wants to go through it with you, your mileage will vary.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
To get in late on that, Rev2 local multiplayer can be fun enough because even though you can't switch between characters in-game, just exchanging controllers with a buddy is easy enough and you can just do it between chapters or every major scene or something like that. It works fine that way. The game is not made worse by playing it alone, though, although handling certain invisible enemies becomes a bit more annoying due to the need for constant switching. It's no major hindrance.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Pretty much everything that made AI Sheva awful in 5 was severely toned down or removed in 6. AI partners still aren't terribly useful but at least they aren't an active detriment anymore.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Shiroc posted:

How is Revelations 2 solo? I haven't played either of them before. 1 is only solo because it was originally for 3DS, right?

I played Rev2 solo last week before embarking on 6 and I enjoyed it. Didn't really use Natalia much outside of the forced sections like that one near the end of the game but found myself on probably a 60/40 split Claire/Moira. The few times where the characters do have to split up are more like puzzles than anything else. Just remember that you can tell the other character to 'wait', this will be essential for a couple of them.

Dad Barry was fantastic too and a selling point for me all on his own.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I can't imagine playing re6 non co-op and I've played through the whole thing 4 times now

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Looks like I bought Resident Evil 6 in 2013 and put a whopping 3 hours into it before I gave up. Would anyone be interested in a co-op run at all? I'd love to finish it, but I don't think I can make myself do it alone.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
gently caress THAT JACK FIGHT IN THE MADHOUSE

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

NonzeroCircle posted:

Dad Barry was fantastic too and a selling point for me all on his own.

This is reason #1 why you don’t want to get the bad ending by the way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like Resident Evil has been pretty much horror-action since RE3, arguably RE2. It's part of why I enjoy the franchise but horror-tinged action has very much been its wheelhouse for a very long time. RE4 isn't a dramatic shift from RE3 or Code Veronica except that it has better designed combat. RE is good about making you feel like you're tight on resources while giving you enough ammo to murder everything in the game.

It's worth noting that 'horror-themed action' isn't exactly uncommon though. RE draws a lot of inspiration from a variety of sources but due to the nature of horror a lot of those things are fairly action-packed even if they are scary. RE2 is super blunt here with everything from a reference to the end of Jaws to Sherry basically being Newt from Aliens. But it is a major part of RE's DNA because it absolutely began as a game where being armed and killing things was your very first choice. Doubly so since zombie fiction was a major influence and even in the 90s zombies were already there to be cool action setpieces as much as horror.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 28, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This is why Code Veronica was the scariest game in the series because I never made it to the Tyrant in the airplane with enough ammo to win.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That seems honestly just factually incorrect. Even at its most intense, there isn't a fraction of the attention on and complexity to the combat in RE3 that there is in RE4, and Code Veronica frankly isn't a major step up from that either. RE2 even less so, and that barely even differs from RE1 at all. RE4 was a very dramatic shift from the gameplay of the classic trilogy and it's silly to claim otherwise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

That seems honestly just factually incorrect. Even at its most intense, there isn't a fraction of the attention on and complexity to the combat in RE3 that there is in RE4, and Code Veronica frankly isn't a major step up from that either. RE2 even less so, and that barely even differs from RE1 at all. RE4 was a very dramatic shift from the gameplay of the classic trilogy and it's silly to claim otherwise.

RE3 has an incredible focus on combat. It's the game that added dodge mechanics, an optional boss who dropped loot, customizable ammunition, a wider variety of weapons, it even let you start the game with a machine gun and it introduced Mercenaries Mode which specifically was about fighting effectively to earn points. RE3 was so action-based that Dino Crisis 2 was basically a spiritual sequel to it only it ramped the combat up even further.

Code Veronica again threw a ton of weapons at you and had slow-mo Matrix Stunts and the return of Wesker as well as several action-heavy combat setpieces. It's not as combat heavy as RE4 but still very clearly trending in that direction.

Hell I feel like it's worth noting that a combat-focused minigame has been a feature of the game for a long time. From the original Battle Game to Mercenaries to Raid Mode, even RE7 had a few specifically designed around combat and purely mechanical gameplay. RE's *atmosphere* has always been horror but it is horror where you're heavily armed and can murder almost everything that threatens you. Enemies like Lisa Trevor, Nemesis and Mr. X stand out because they won't stay dead. (And even then you effectively kill them, they just get back up later.) That isn't a bad thing and it's part of the appeal of Resident Evil but again Resident Evil is at least as much action as Aliens and Aliens is pretty comfortably classified as an action movie.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 28, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

And still none of that really compares to a game that is literally about action and sustained mass-combat against hordes consisting of up to dozens of enemies from beginning to end. It just isn't the same thing at all.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Kibayasu posted:

This is reason #1 why you don’t want to get the bad ending by the way.

Which if you're playing Co-op, it's totally easy to miss that there even ARE multiple endings since if Claire button mashes hard enough Moira doesn't get to do the thing and the game goes on like normal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

And still none of that really compares to a game that is literally about action and sustained mass-combat against hordes consisting of up to dozens of enemies from beginning to end. It just isn't the same thing at all.

Except that isn't what RE4 is either. RE4 has action setpieces but they are bookended by smaller stuff. You have the village and the cabin and things like that but in between them you're usually only facing a few Ganado at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

In short, Resident Evil 4 is a game of contrasts