Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah... I would agree that if you can find a spoiler-free emblem guide, use it as you play. And register online with residentevil.net, because it adds even more information than what is contained in the game.

Also, save Ada's story for last. They recently unlocked it so that you can play her from the start, but her entire story is built around giving you insight into the other stories, so it is much more interesting saving her for last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
To contrast what RentCavalier said, I really enjoyed playing each campaign separately without skipping around. Also, since I didn't play Leon's first, the truth about Ada was a neat reveal after I had already finished Chris' campaign.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RentCavalier posted:

The plot is basically Clive Barker's G.I. Joe with a heavy dose of Left 4 Dead thrown in.

Hey now. I know people didn't like Resident Evil 6 as much but there's no reason to go comparing it to Clive Barker's Jericho.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFSbxy6Srnk

New trailer for Revelaitons HD.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

RE6 unlocked for me already on Steam since I'm on the other side of the world, so I revved it up and turned it on. Game looks beautiful at 1920x1200 with all the settings cranked up.

Died hilariously several times on the first QTE sequence because of not realizing which way I was supposed to run, then I finally got the hang of it and complete the sequence. Suddenly I'm back on my desktop and I see a window with:

"FATAL ERROR: Out of video memory."

:stare:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Also, Co Op isn't working for the majority of the people, due to some server issue or some poo poo like that.

Tried playing this with a buddy after it was unlocked this morning here in Germany, but connecting to other games is impossible right now, at least for us.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Resident Evil 6 and ORC DLC goin' on sale as of March 26th! :toot:

code:
Content									Original Price	Sale Price
Resident Evil 6 Additional 3-Mode Pack					720		360
Resident Evil 6 Survivors Game Mode					320		160
Resdient Evil 6 Onslaught Game Mode					320		160
Resident Evil 6 Predator Game Mode					320		160
Resident Evil Operation Raccoon Echo Six Expansion Pack 1		800		400
Resident Evil Operation Raccoon Echo Six Expansion Pack 2		800		400
From here.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Here's gameplay footage of the L4D2 content in RE6.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-G0cyUPFjQ

Every lady's crazy when her daddy's not around!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hope PSN gets that same sale, 10 bucks for the echo six campaign is just right in terms of pricing.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Anybody got an idea on how to turn off the voip in co-op RE6 pc? crannking the chat volume all the way down does gently caress all.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
RESIDENT EVIL 6 / BIOHAZARD 6

This game is gorgeous and smooth as butter on PC. Worth the upgrade when you factor in all the crazy extras. Hopefully it'll maintain a good online presence on Steam.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Navaash posted:

RE6 unlocked for me already on Steam since I'm on the other side of the world, so I revved it up and turned it on. Game looks beautiful at 1920x1200 with all the settings cranked up.

Died hilariously several times on the first QTE sequence because of not realizing which way I was supposed to run, then I finally got the hang of it and complete the sequence. Suddenly I'm back on my desktop and I see a window with:

"FATAL ERROR: Out of video memory."

:stare:

I quit out of the game because of the cinematic running sequence at the start. I'm really not feeling this tutorial, especially because the instructions aren't always clear and the penalty for not catching on quickly enough is to repeat the same video loop, then try again, over and over. Something about having to restart the same cinematic clip over and over again while trying to figure out which way the controls will reassign themselves and the camera pans, or whether or not the ball zipping back and forth is decoration or an actual part of each individual minigame, is really galling. I'll go back later tonight when I feel less spiteful.

So after quitting I get back to the main screen, tells me to press any key, any key pressed takes me to the video settings. Not way to exit that I could see. ctrl+atl+del ->task manager puts the game back in focus immediately. Alt, Tab worked though.

I'm starting to wonder if I maybe wasted $40.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I dunno I thought the tutorial level was pretty short and easy, and I doddled around and never once had to repeat anything.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

therealjon_ posted:

I dunno I thought the tutorial level was pretty short and easy, and I doddled around and never once had to repeat anything.

Yeah, it's making me feel like a nitwit, which I resent it for. I'm just going to try it later, once I have a few beers in me.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I retract all previous statements. The game is great, but only with a controller. All my frustrations stemmed from using the keyboard. I wanted to use that setup, mainly for aiming, but it looks like they did a good job of making gunplay work with the gamepad, so whatever. Also, kudos to Capcom for having the foresight to make a game that can switch from kbm to gamepad on the fly. So many developers still don't bother making it so you can change up on the fly.

Unbearable
Apr 3, 2011

I'm loving it even with kbm, for what it's worth.

Also, the PC version has a field of view setting, doesn't feel as claustrophobic if you turn it up a bit. You can't adjust it when you're actually in game, so be sure to visit the options page in the main menu before you start the first real chapter.

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

Does anyone have any idea how to turn off the built in voice chat for co-op on the PC?

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Unbearable posted:

I'm loving it even with kbm, for what it's worth.

Also, the PC version has a field of view setting, doesn't feel as claustrophobic if you turn it up a bit. You can't adjust it when you're actually in game, so be sure to visit the options page in the main menu before you start the first real chapter.
I find the optimal settings to be 15, 10, and 10 in descending order, with both camera and aim speed set to 7. Then change the crosshair to laser sights, and you're golden.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Dol posted:

Does anyone have any idea how to turn off the built in voice chat for co-op on the PC?

It's not possible.

Settings do nothing, it is to be fixed though.

Thanks, Capcom for starting the matchmaking servers half a day late for Europe, so that Co op was impossible.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Hymirvetr posted:

It's not possible.

Settings do nothing, it is to be fixed though.

There's been a couple times where I accidentally serenaded my partner like they were a cat, because an actual cat jumped onto my desk in the middle of a fight. I don't know if suddenly hearing "Oooooh hey dere liiiittle maaaaaaaaan, get dooooown, buuuuuuuddy!" improved or detracted from their gameplay experience.

I'm absolutely having a blast with this, especially the co-op element. I like that you can pick just what style of partner you're looking to play with before jumping into a session. I generally experience an admixture of annoyance and guilt when I get paired with a really serious player, because I'm not very good and just like to goof around and have fun, which I expect it grating to some people & this solves that. Even if they are getting annoyed, I don't care, since they chose this fate for themselves :colbert:.

The fiancee had to leave town for the evening and this was the best possible way I could imagine spending a Friday solo.

Zerotheos
Jan 2, 2005
Z

Dol posted:

Start the game with your mic disabled in the Windows sound control panel. Wait till you get in a game, then tab out and turn it back on.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

No Mercy is loving crazy and perfectly shows why the campaign is hot garbage that does nothing to show the strength of the actual combat system. Holy hell it is so fun to just go nuts on dudes with Jake's Wesker Fist.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Didn't someone post a list of moves and combos you could do in RE6 that they don't teach you in the tutorials? I'm looking for it but can't find it.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

voltron lion force posted:

Didn't someone post a list of moves and combos you could do in RE6 that they don't teach you in the tutorials? I'm looking for it but can't find it.

The game doesn't tell you 95% of what's in the manual, which is very unfortunate.
http://static.capcom.com/manuals/re6/RE6_360_DMNL_EN.pdf

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I'm a little confused, all my friends were mocking RE6 constantly when it released on consoles and after playing the PC version for a bit it's... really fun? Like, my buddy and I are just at the gun shop in Leon's campaign, where we took a break because the always-on VOIP is so awful, but the game itself is pretty fun. I get downed pretty regularly on Veteran difficulty, which we picked because we were worried that Professional would be like RE5's Professional.

What's this about combos? That manual didn't tell me anything the game hasn't so far.

Uarmm
Mar 28, 2004
NEGROWNED
Man, having reload and pick up as the same key really sucks. Especially when you're playing mercenaries as Chris. The reload animation for the assault rifle is so long and you just end up reloading after every enemy while trying to pick up what they drop. It always ends up screwing you over at the worst possible times.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Geight posted:

I'm a little confused, all my friends were mocking RE6 constantly when it released on consoles and after playing the PC version for a bit it's... really fun?

The biggest flaws with Resident Evil 6 are that it doesn't teach you how to play it at all and its constant overuse of action setpieces. If it weren't so hyperactive and had a better tutorial it would've been better received since the core gameplay is very good as mercenaries shows.
Hopefully they'll keep this in mind for RE7, but I bet they'll scrap the new combat system and go back to RE4/5's since Revelaitons was better received.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I'd be fine with them keeping 6's system as long as they improve the melee back into having more situational ones along with more variety.

What I'm saying is I want to be able to kneecap guys then suplex them again.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

There seems to be something wrong with fullscreen at the moment since when I'm playing in that there are areas with huge polygon flickering all over the place (for example, the lecture hall early on in Leon's campaign). Putting the game in windowed mode fixed it, but I'm not sure if it's either buggy code or my card drivers.

I do have a question, though, since I'm going into this game blind (I've managed to avoid basically all spoilers). I'm playing on Veteran straight away since I did the same thing for 5 and it ended up making me a better player. On Leon's and Chris's campaigns, starting a new game has me at only 1 health block, while Jake has the whole 6. Is it supposed to be like this?

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Finished Leon's campaign tonight and I have come to the conclusion that every bone in his loving body should be broken by the end of it. Jesus gently caress Capcom, lay off the goddamn panic button.

Great gameplay, asinine story, asinine pacing. Probably worth the asking price of forty smackers.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

GUI posted:

The biggest flaws with Resident Evil 6 are that it doesn't teach you how to play it at all and its constant overuse of action setpieces. If it weren't so hyperactive and had a better tutorial it would've been better received since the core gameplay is very good as mercenaries shows.
Hopefully they'll keep this in mind for RE7, but I bet they'll scrap the new combat system and go back to RE4/5's since Revelaitons was better received.

Yeah you notice that in the thread too. There were lots of "This game is terrible" posts and it's actually pretty enjoyable.

Alteisen did you ever finish it?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Len posted:

Yeah you notice that in the thread too. There were lots of "This game is terrible" posts and it's actually pretty enjoyable.

Alteisen did you ever finish it?

He actually sold it. I'm still waiting for him to get it again one day.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

GUI posted:

My biggest complaint with it is the overuse of QTE's. Before I got the breakout skill, I was afraid I was going to wear out my stick like I have done with another controller.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I guess the silly story in RE5/6 has never bothered me because all of the games have had silly stories, it's just that now we get them in cinematics with QTEs instead of reading giant files. Although sometimes I do miss reading giant files!

All the comments about the game not teaching me how to play are making me worry that I'm missing some important mechanics. Is there anything more to countering than just striking at the precise moment?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
How the hell did I never notice this thread? I'm doing the RE6 LP right now, and I also have, sadly, obsessively mastered the game down to its pixels. Any questions? Throw them my way and I'll have you breaking mutant necks like a badass in no time.

Geight posted:

I guess the silly story in RE5/6 has never bothered me because all of the games have had silly stories, it's just that now we get them in cinematics with QTEs instead of reading giant files. Although sometimes I do miss reading giant files!

All the comments about the game not teaching me how to play are making me worry that I'm missing some important mechanics. Is there anything more to countering than just striking at the precise moment?

There are, yes. You can move around the enemies while they attack and still pull of counters from behind. Being aware of staying off the stairs (loving stairs!) when trying to counter zombies with weapons is also a thing to keep in mind, or trying to do a counter that goes into a particular animation and isn't you just kicking/shoulder ramming/elbowing their jugulars.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 23, 2013

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Does Agent have anything good about him at all over Chris or Sherry Costume 1? Really, are any characters better than those two?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Fereydun posted:

Does Agent have anything good about him at all over Chris or Sherry Costume 1? Really, are any characters better than those two?

He carries more first aid sprays and has Helena's shoulder counter which is easily one of the best ones to have against zombies, but that's about it.

On another note, I don't honestly know why Sherry Costume 1 is considered to be one of the best. Chris is just really good because he has an awesome counter attack and comes with a magnum or a rocket launcher depending. Maybe I've just never had good luck with with the 2-handed weapon counter. I mean obviously it's good to have against zombies who just swing at you instead of do that downwards grab that countering always pops their heads, but other than that I don't see her appeal.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Really, they put that great manual online only? Devs make million dollar games but cant print a frucking manual these days. Its ridiculous. And that's a great manual.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

RBX posted:

Really, they put that great manual online only? Devs make million dollar games but cant print a frucking manual these days. Its ridiculous. And that's a great manual.

Yeah, and now I realize they weren't in fact lying when they said you could trade items to your partner. You can only do it in split-screen gameplay. So they half-lied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Wesker Fist Is #1 (in No Mercy and maybe forever):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6k3JQVDR3M