Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I tried 6 again recently (I finished it near release but my memories were like Hong Kong? Oil rig? Ada on a roof maybe?) and bounced off the bullet sponge enemies and characters who control like a toddler having a tantrum in a supermarket toy section. Is there a primer on how I should be playing this? Because Wrestling Evil sounds fun, but nothing in the game really indicates that's how it's played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

Is there a primer on how I should be playing this?

Dont. Ever.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Disco Pope posted:

I tried 6 again recently (I finished it near release but my memories were like Hong Kong? Oil rig? Ada on a roof maybe?) and bounced off the bullet sponge enemies and characters who control like a toddler having a tantrum in a supermarket toy section. Is there a primer on how I should be playing this? Because Wrestling Evil sounds fun, but nothing in the game really indicates that's how it's played.

Shoot enemy extremities- knee, arm, etc- and note the way in which it puts them into a stun animation. Attack them with the contextual melee prompt they offer when stunned. There are three levels of stun, each with a different animation loop, and the stronger the stun, the stronger the melee attack.

The non-contextual melee attack is nearly worthless. The exception to this is a sprinting or sliding melee attack, which will proc stun.

When in trouble, your reaction shot, the move that occurs when you press both triggers that instantly targets the nearest enemy with your gun, will also stun them. Worth noting that you become invincible while locked in a melee animation.

When you run out of stamina, you’ll recover it faster the lower to the ground you are: a little faster when crouching or rolling, considerably faster when lying on your back.

Also, certain enemies are most efficiently dealt with by taking advantage of their wide counter windows. In particular, the enemies that carry melee weapons and the bloodshot (the red zombies) can be baited into instant kill counter windows that are highly predictable with a little practice.

When you’re playing at peak efficiency, your gun is really only used to proc stun and take advantage of environmental explosives. If you’re dispatching enemies with it, something is off.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Now that I've finished Rev2. RE6 is the next game up on the docket and I gotta say I'm a little excited to see how bad it's going to be based on the threads opinions.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

OhFunny posted:

Now that I've finished Rev2. RE6 is the next game up on the docket and I gotta say I'm a little excited to see how bad it's going to be based on the threads opinions.
It's not an awful game, it just doesn't feel like a mainline Resident Evil game as much as the others do (Even though there's 3 or 4 pretty distinct genres within the mainline series)

I went back and started playing it again myself and the plot is kind of all over the place. We're now in full, global apocalypse and at the time I remember where they were possibly going to take the series from there since it's escalated pretty much all the way up.

The answer was, basically ignore all of that in favor of a haunted mansion and a castle with their own fairly self-contained plots lol

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

OhFunny posted:

interestingly carcinogensda just uploaded a rev 2 time attack mode 100% no damage run and at one point he mentions that he thinks of revelations 2 as like the perfectly balanced version of what they were trying to do with RE6 and his second favorite third person RE game after Remake 2, and thinking about that, as one of the biggest advocates of both rev 2 and RE6 in the thread i have to agree.

edit: although the game play of revelations 2 is missing all of the really fun melee combat stuff in RE6, the game feels stiffer since you can't roll around and do the contextual melee but i think its also more well received since it adheres more to the like RE2/3 style of game play.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I can see the comparison, considering that they're almost identical in gameplay except for the melee aspect (and Rev2 being actually good.) Two characters, third person, level-based, XP collection, skills... they've got all the same basic ingredients.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
rev2 isn't really a coop game. you can play it coop, but that's not really the intent as natalia's extremely limited moveset demonstrates. heck, there are parts where you don't have a partner.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Rev2 is way more of a co-op game than RE6 is. I've played through the game more than once and I can't remember any sections where you don't have a partner, either, except at the absolute very end maybe. Natalia can't do much maybe, but Glasps still justify her presence.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
not liking 6 is whatever, but that is a downright ridiculous statement.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, whatever.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

interestingly carcinogensda just uploaded a rev 2 time attack mode 100% no damage run and at one point he mentions that he thinks of revelations 2 as like the perfectly balanced version of what they were trying to do with RE6 and his second favorite third person RE game after Remake 2, and thinking about that, as one of the biggest advocates of both rev 2 and RE6 in the thread i have to agree.

edit: although the game play of revelations 2 is missing all of the really fun melee combat stuff in RE6, the game feels stiffer since you can't roll around and do the contextual melee but i think its also more well received since it adheres more to the like RE2/3 style of game play.

I would also put Rev2 at number two behind Remake2 as well atm. I finished Leon's first chapter and things are are pretty good so far.

Sub weapon selection controls are a step back from RE5 and Rev2 though. I'll have to rebind next time I boot up.

Also I think Rev2 is the only game I've played that has bound sprint to Alt instead of Control or Shift. A lot of moments early on where I crouched or tossed a bottle by mistake.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think the real time inventory management actually seeds in rev 2 in a way it failed in RE5 because rev 2 gives you time to breath in between combat sections, but also it includes in game effects like bleeding or mud ball in your eyes or loving whatever it was supposed to be and the AI partner can heal you of those afflictions if they have the healing item in their inventory

i never played on pc so i cant speak to the controls

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

i think the real time inventory management actually seeds in rev 2 in a way it failed in RE5 because rev 2 gives you time to breath in between combat sections, but also it includes in game effects like bleeding or mud ball in your eyes or loving whatever it was supposed to be and the AI partner can heal you of those afflictions if they have the healing item in their inventory

i never played on pc so i cant speak to the controls

I figured it out. Unlike prior and succeeding games the item replaces the weapon in your hand. The weapons and items are on a crossbar. Which I suppose are assigned on the d-pad when using a controller. They assigned items to Shift+scroll wheel, but instead of listing shift as shift they used the arrow symbol that’s on said key.

It’s quite a different approach.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm watching slowbeef and Diabetus play RE6, a game I know virtually nothing about and have never seen before.

What a loving trainwreck. Like...stuff is happening but it's so much stuff and so bad that I'm bored. It's like Vince Russo if any of you are old time wrestling fans.

Sherry comes back in this game, right? That was he thing so many RE fans wanted. I remember before RE5 we saw blond birdwoman and people were like Sherry has finally returned. Only not. But she did return in this travesty. Bet that made them happy.

Now I hear the game has multiple parts or styles, trying to please both the old school horror fans and the newer action fans and the result is it pleased nobody. But my point is, I guess the non-Leon parts are better somehow?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sherry is maybe one of the weaker parts, as she is possibly the least pro wrestler of the bunch, but she does indeed make a return as a badass action hero.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

But my point is, I guess the non-Leon parts are better somehow?
Not by a whole lot.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The game, is good.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Is Rev 1 worth playing before 2? I picked them up together during a sale. 2 seems to get all the press but I have a thing for nautical horror

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Rev2 is by far the better game, but the stories are not connected, so you're free to pick either one up whenever. You don't need to have finished one to play the other.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
It's kind of unfortunate that Revelations 1 seems just so irrelevant to any Resident Evil discussion. I played through it a few months ago and I can hardly fuckin' remember what happened in it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Jill gets trapped on one of three boats because she gets tricked by disturbingly life-like mannequin of Chris Redfield. Parker owns her a dinner. Conan O'Brien is there.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I remember when the SA forums RE darling was revelations 1. I bought it and never got round to it, but now it's bad! So that's ok.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

It's not bad. It's fun to play and has a lot neat setpeices. Just the plot is totally forgettable and never referenced by any subsequent games. Also the dodge system sucks, but we didn't get a good dodge system until RE3make, so that's fine.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Revelations 1 is fine. It’s a bit simpler and a small amount of mechanics didn’t transfer that well from the DS but it’s fines. In some respects I enjoy it more than Revelations 2.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's dramatically better than any previous re spinoffs but that's kind of damning with faint praise.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
It's good but it has a really stupid final chapter, wherein Jill and Chris go to a location they shouldn't know or care about to confront a guy who shouldn't be alive, to learn information they already know and he would have no reason not to give them, but instead he attacks them in a way that will guarantee his death no matter what, despite not knowing who they are. And this all comes after the climactic giant monster/rocket launcher/helicopter escape sequence.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

SkeletonHero posted:

It's good but it has a really stupid final chapter, wherein Jill and Chris go to a location they shouldn't know or care about to confront a guy who shouldn't be alive, to learn information they already know and he would have no reason not to give them, but instead he attacks them in a way that will guarantee his death no matter what, despite not knowing who they are. And this all comes after the climactic giant monster/rocket launcher/helicopter escape sequence.

RE writing being dumb and nonsensical is part of the core DNA. If it ever starts making sense or not being bonkers, *then* we’re in trouble.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Danknificent posted:

RE writing being dumb and nonsensical is part of the core DNA. If it ever starts making sense or not being bonkers, *then* we’re in trouble.
It's not though. The writing in the original trilogy (and pretty much every RE game?) is entirely sensible, given the premise, it's just centered around weirdo characters with hosed-up motivations. This is very different from characters acting with no or constantly shifting (for reasons outside the story) motivation, being dragged along to hit plot points rather than arriving to those plot points through their own "free will".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Both RE: Revelations games took me by surprise since I'd never even heard of them and snatched up both at a flea market. I remember liking them both and if I remember right thought 2 was better but like someone else posted I'll be god damned if I can recall one thing about #1.

The main thing that stood out for me is I liked the co-op better than 5 or 6 since your partner basically just had a specific specialty, like finding poo poo with a flashlight or whatever, and I didn't have to micro manage them all the god damned time. I didn't think I was going to take a shine to them since I hate co-op and especially AI driven co-op but for 10 bux a throw they were both great.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Things I can remember about Rev 1: fake Chris, the stupidest wetsuit design ever, that awful bit where you play as the the two idiots fighting a bunch of invisible hunters.. and uh some sort of snow bit with wolves?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This sounds just stupid and forgettable enough to wow me, so Rev 1 first it is! I'll probably drop it immediately :v:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Rev 1 + 2 are ultimately inconsequential to the other games anyway if you care about plot. So is 6 for that matter, like I mentioned before their solution to Wesker's dream of COMPLETE. GLOBAL. SATURATION. seemed to have been just ignoring that 6 ever happened.

Fuligin posted:

This sounds just stupid and forgettable enough to wow me, so Rev 1 first it is! I'll probably drop it immediately :v:
At least play through the first boat, the Captain is pretty unsettling. The rest of the game is entirely forgettable.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

RealFoxy posted:

Rev 1 + 2 are ultimately inconsequential to the other games anyway if you care about plot.

2 at least does interesting poo poo with a bunch of characters, and they might reference some of that again because it's interesting. Rev 1 and Re6 are going to be straight loving memory holed because nothing interesting happens in them and they are terrible for building off of. Like there's really nowhere to go with "Hey, remember that time Leon killed like half a billion people? Good times!".

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Mulva posted:

2 at least does interesting poo poo with a bunch of characters, and they might reference some of that again because it's interesting. Rev 1 and Re6 are going to be straight loving memory holed because nothing interesting happens in them and they are terrible for building off of. Like there's really nowhere to go with "Hey, remember that time Leon killed like half a billion people? Good times!".
I think 6 was the worst offender, 7 is a sequel but you wouldn't know it unless you dug deep into the lore. 6 went from "Here's a global zombie apocalypse, the White House has been taken over, entire cities are falling" to "Yeah it's dealt with, things are normal again. Anyway, here's a spooky swamp family"

They really should've never escalated to the level they did in 6, Resident Evil is at it's best when it's a couple of people dealing with an isolated incident.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Pretty sure me and my girlfriend played Rev 2 Raid mode for 16 hours straight once.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

If 6 has Hunnigan in the leon sections I might at least try it

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Fuligin posted:

If 6 has Hunnigan in the leon sections I might at least try it
She is in 6, yeah.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

RE Rev2: Because Terr, doesn't have to end in Rist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Duh, I’m a sluicemaster