Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Was it good for you too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i am fairly confident revelations 2 has the world record for spoken instances of the word "sluice" in a video game

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, there's not exactly much competition.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My new game 'Sluice Gate Hero' will be on Steam soon

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

also every moira swear is my favorite quote from rev 2

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

SkeletonHero posted:

It's good but it has a really stupid final chapter, wherein Jill and Chris go to a location they shouldn't know or care about to confront a guy who shouldn't be alive, to learn information they already know and he would have no reason not to give them, but instead he attacks them in a way that will guarantee his death no matter what, despite not knowing who they are. And this all comes after the climactic giant monster/rocket launcher/helicopter escape sequence.

Yeah, none of that is true. It's too complicated by half, sure, but nothing in that spoiler is accurate.

(They find out about the ship's location from Quint, who hacked into the FBC's computer to get it; they care about it because Norman is there, and whether he's alive or dead, he's got evidence of Lansdale's crimes on him; they may know Lansdale is dirty, but they can't prove it, so they're there to get the evidence; and Norman is half-insane when they find him because Chris and Jill showed up about ten minutes after an FBC strike team that killed all of Norman's surviving allies and almost killed Norman himself, so he assumes they're reinforcements for that strike team.)

There's one element of Revelations that plays a reasonably prominent role in Revelations 2 (Neil turns out to be one of Lansdale's weirdly loyal lieutenants, and his whole motivation in the game is to get a virus from Alex that he can use to repeat Lansdale's whole scheme), but yeah, it doesn't have a ton going for it as far as series relevance to date.

It does set a lot up, if Capcom ever goes back to use it (since both Jessica and Raymond survive, and Lansdale is still technically on the board despite being in prison), but none of it's paid off yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly I found Rev1 pretty memorable. I think it loses something a bit once it gets to the endgame with multiple ships and such but it has some pretty interesting setpieces and I enjoyed the "horrifying half-sentient beasts" version of the undead they did more than the very similar Molded.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I mentioned it a while back, but almost everything I thought I remembered about Rev1 was actually in 5. Taking a break from the series after doing 7/4/5/6 in pretty quick succession, but I'm looking forward to seeing whatever weirdness is in it when I'm ready to come back.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Barry should get to do more awesome as hell things, imo

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

uk goons who are weirdos like me and collect resident evil steelbooks, the VILLAGE one is finally up at amazon only. shopto has a lenticular sleeve if you are into that sorta thing. thought for sure they were gonna skip it like re3 but here we go, dunno how long its been up i just stumbled on it. the standard editions are all out of stock but the none of the steelbooks are lmao

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08XRT9B58/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 11, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, it is definitely out of stock now.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1370179302336000007

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I mean. The actor for remake 2 was an okay choice for the younger more boyish look Leon had in that game, but present day grizzled Leon? I can’t picture it.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Shame that Alyson Court isn't coming back, but the chick who played Claire in the Remake did a pretty good job.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

man nurse posted:

I mean. The actor for remake 2 was an okay choice for the younger more boyish look Leon had in that game, but present day grizzled Leon? I can’t picture it.
Infinite Darkness is closer to RE4 than the present day stuff, being set in 2006.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Was this cool RE2 Tomb Raider mod posted already?

https://youtu.be/X8YmlBddhpE

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
It was wild to hear Yosuke from Persona 4 as one of the hapless doomed soldiers in Chris' campaign.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

OhFunny posted:

It was wild to hear Yosuke from Persona 4 as one of the hapless doomed soldiers in Chris' campaign.

Yuri Lowenthal was one of the first voice actors I could identify between roles.

Helps that the dude has a very distinct angry yell.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Electromax posted:

Was this cool RE2 Tomb Raider mod posted already?

https://youtu.be/X8YmlBddhpE
Who'd have believed back then that Tomb Raider would end up the game with the most uncomfortable death scenes. RE is downright classy in comparison.

Thinking about the combination, I just realized Lara Croft almost fits into the world of Resident Evil, like her parents were the ones supplying Umbrella brass priceless artifacts for their mansions. Also possible that Lara is herself a B.O.W.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

BisbyWorl posted:

Yuri Lowenthal was one of the first voice actors I could identify between roles.

He is the Nolan North type in that he is everywhere and in everything even if he's not voicing a main character. But he's stuck in Yo/Sas uke mood voice alot of times these days. and of course it's very obvoiusly him whenever he has to raise his voice.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

This is the synopsis shown to me for the Netflix show. Looks like it's taking things in a new direction, lots of new characters.

Not quite sure where it fits into the overall story, though... what game did Qing Ming appear in, again?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ErrEff posted:

This is the synopsis shown to me for the Netflix show. Looks like it's taking things in a new direction, lots of new characters.

Not quite sure where it fits into the overall story, though... what game did Qing Ming appear in, again?

This is the side plot to RE6 IIRC.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Who'd have believed back then that Tomb Raider would end up the game with the most uncomfortable death scenes. RE is downright classy in comparison.

Thinking about the combination, I just realized Lara Croft almost fits into the world of Resident Evil, like her parents were the ones supplying Umbrella brass priceless artifacts for their mansions. Also possible that Lara is herself a B.O.W.

Lara Croft is 100% an undead revenant.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This is the side plot to RE6 IIRC.

I feel like demons were the one big plot point RE6 surprisingly didn't add in.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

He's still the only one I can recognize. He has a very distinctive voice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"The Progenitor Virus was actually of demonic origin. Found in the corpse of a mysterious horned demon known as Sparda it is the ultimate combination of human science and hell's most powerful warrior."

Boom. Crossover of the centure.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ImpAtom posted:

"The Progenitor Virus was actually of demonic origin. Found in the corpse of a mysterious horned demon known as Sparda it is the ultimate combination of human science and hell's most powerful warrior."

Boom. Crossover of the centure.

I was playing Devil May Cry 5 last night and when the big bad evolved into his second form, I remembered at that moment it was a Capcom game as it was covered with eyes.

Seriously, when I take over Umbrella I'm raising R&D funding 25% to figure out how to not make giant, weak eyes on my creations.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
So in response to the Zero hate that I've noted recently, which I somewhat share, I irresponsibly fired up Zero on an actual gamecube this weekend because I unexpectedly had some free time that I was not planning on.

So on the one hand, to me and to many others, Zero is a generic-feeling slog, particularly given its place in historical context, where it was released after Code Veronica, but in close proximity to REmake, with REmake just blowing it out of the water in every possible way.

In context, however the modern gamers feel now, CV was amazing on dreamcast with slightly improved graphics and minor improvements on the oldschool formula, while still being punishing and legit without genre saturation. As in, back then there was still some unironic coolness in the formula. But I think that was where we ran out of gas on the oldschool formula. Some will argue that it peaked with RE2 on PSX, I'll argue that it peaked with RECV in 2000 on DC, whatever, not arguing--the bottom line is that I have no doubt that we all agree the peak happened well before Zero came out.

So then there's Zero, which is uninspired and just tired due to there having already been all these games with the same formula. So through the lens of today, Zero just seems mediocre.

However there's a subset of the population for whom RE games, particularly with classic formula, have a special juice, a special zeitgeist due to how/when they first played/encountered them. You know, the boys and girls around 12-13 who stayed up all night for whatever reason playing it, one of their first games, etc--who imprinted on that formula-- for those people, the classic RE lifers, something like Zero isn't a slog, it's comfort food. I'm actually not one of those, but I try to look for the positive, and while Zero not the most inspired RE game, it's competent all around in that it makes you work a little bit. It makes you run around. It makes you soak in the atmosphere that it's trying to convey. That's what it's about. It was more effective in the old days because we hadn't done it a thousand times. By Zero it's less effective, but that is neither here nor there.

Anyway, what I'm coming around to is that if we see Zero as oldschool comfort food instead of an attempt to be in some way the next step for the series, it comes off much more favorably.

Danknificent fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 14, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Danknificent posted:

Anyway, what I'm coming around to is that if we see Zero as oldschool comfort food instead of an attempt to be modern and awesome, it comes off much more favorably.
You know, this really isn't a bad description for how I feel about the game. Yes, it's a tired and trodden-out formula. Yes, it has the least interesting characters in any Resident Evil game. Yes, it has some annoying mechanics. But it's also familiar in a very comforting way, like slipping into your favourite woolen blanket with a cup of hot chocolate. It's homey in a way that CVX never was to me.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I can’t agree because Zero made significant changes to that comfortable formula that actively made almost everything else in it worse. It’s familiar while also being very different. It looks like something I know how to work but it actually doesn’t work like that.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Zero is worse than CV in my opinion because the setting is dull (except the train, that's good), mechanically it's a pain to manage two characters whilst also hocking around a hookshot and having no item boxes, and the monsters are stupid garbage like monkeys and leech people. It looks great though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Eh, I guess it's subjective. I think they're better than CVX's monsters, like the Amazing Longarm Pizzaface.

:haw:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The look of the monsters in Zero is actually one of the things I like about it because mostly they’re recognizable scientific testing animals, either through movies or real life. That was the case in the some of the other games too but not as explicitly so.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I prefer Zero to CVX because CVX is just way too long, way too ugly and has Steve and Wesker.

Also, I know "it's Resident Evil lol" but CVX's voice-acting is almost RE1 levels of bad. 2 and 3 were not good but they weren't that bad. CV is just every villain going HA-HA-HA-HA-HA in a very, very forced way. Tidus was more believable.

CV really wanted to have a more plot heavy RE game but they couldn't write to save their lives so I'll take Zero's minimalist style.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

HA-HA-HA-HA-HA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6dNIimDDus

CV really was something, I'll say that

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, I enjoyed the voice acting in the original Resident Evil 1 too, but I wouldn't call it good.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Lack of item boxes in RE0 was a misguided attempt to solve complaints about the small inventory size. In practice you can mostly just dump everything in the main hall of the training center and nothing is ever too far away from it.

The bit that makes it really suck is the hookshot. Even if you move it from the train crash to the main hall, when you finally need it again after the bat, the training facility is filled with the monkeys and you have to take a long way around to the main hall that goes through tons of them. You have to know that before you move the observatory tower to shift everything over to it, which you'd have no reason to think to do on a first playthrough.

So you probably fight the bat, lose tons of health and ammo, realize you need the hookshot and then have tons of monkeys to fight through. poo poo sucks.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Shiroc posted:

Lack of item boxes in RE0 was a misguided attempt to solve complaints about the small inventory size. In practice you can mostly just dump everything in the main hall of the training center and nothing is ever too far away from it.

The bit that makes it really suck is the hookshot. Even if you move it from the train crash to the main hall, when you finally need it again after the bat, the training facility is filled with the monkeys and you have to take a long way around to the main hall that goes through tons of them. You have to know that before you move the observatory tower to shift everything over to it, which you'd have no reason to think to do on a first playthrough.

So you probably fight the bat, lose tons of health and ammo, realize you need the hookshot and then have tons of monkeys to fight through. poo poo sucks.

I think this take is as close to objective truth as any video game take can be.

Danknificent fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 14, 2021

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Convex posted:

Zero is worse than CV in my opinion because the setting is dull (except the train, that's good), mechanically it's a pain to manage two characters whilst also hocking around a hookshot and having no item boxes, and the monsters are stupid garbage like monkeys and leech people. It looks great though.

I was going to post almost this exact post, except I was gonna call out the monkeys and leechmen as the only two cool monsters in the game, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CV is cool for the first instance of Neo Wesker and the Tyrant boss fight on the plane that owned everyone lol