Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

there is no way RE6 is more linear than 5. it at least has some open levels and backtracking. RE5 was just move forward through every zone basically.

more bloated absolutely, re5 has no bloat, on account of it all being a direct cleave forward always

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, there was the airboat sequence. it was lovely, but still non-linear.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

UltraShame posted:

Just finished REV:2 and now I realize that Leon, Barry, and Moira are the chief heroes of the series. Bad writing my rear end, a Dramaturgical Triad if you will.

The Resident Evil games left on my list are 6, Zero, Nemesis, and Code Veronica. I don't feel like emulating, so Code Veronica, and Nemesis are off the table.

Zero has a thread reputation for being tedious, but I did play the HD REmake with "modern" controls and really liked it - despite doing quite a bit of backtracking and head scratching to figure out where the hell I was. I think I enjoyed it more as "this is the first one of its kind but without being 100% jagged pixels and sans tank controls." It was repetitive and ugly, but the game world seemed very compact and folded in on itself for the most part. I liked that it had downtime, storage boxes, and the ability to pre-plan what might come next. Zero lacks storage, and some pre-planning.

6 Has a thread reputation for being TOO OVER THE TOP and\or "stupid". That puzzles me for this game series. It's like asking "has John Woo finally gone too far?" lovely gameplay tutorials and apparently some pretty mechanically heinous campaign sections?

I'm assuming since I had fun with REV:2 that I'll like 6 if I read a guide on it beforehand. Hyperbole aside, is Zero really that bad when it comes to tedium?

REV:1 was a fun time-waster, but mechanically boring. The only one of the series that I've hated was 5. No breathing room, super self-serious. I made it maybe halfway through before I was just not having any more fun with it. I would love to say it's because I played it single player but hoo boy it would have been awful even with a partner. Just terrible imo. Tiny-rear end inventory to micromanage? Pretty racist but they plopped some white guys in there too?

I own them all from some Fanatical insane-o sale from a while ago. (RE3Make is the one I don't own and will play after 8).

BAsed on what you've written, I'd buy RE3 remake and play that. It'll tide you over until VIII comes out.

RE6 and RE0 are both pretty bad for entirely different reasons.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BiggerBoat posted:

BAsed on what you've written, I'd buy RE3 remake and play that. It'll tide you over until VIII comes out.

RE6 and RE0 are both pretty bad for entirely different reasons.

I highly recommend Remake 3 too, lots of fun, not overly long, and fantastic looking and sounding, with a great cast.

Also and I know I’m the odd man out, but I had being stalked for a long time by an enemy, so I was actually really happy with how Nemesis worked out.

RE6 is at least a coked out romp, although the train in RE0 is cool as hell.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RE6s problem isn't that its too stupid, it's that it bins almost every aspect that makes RE RE, Except the action. And the quality of the action is all over the place. It has it's moments but overall just feels stretched really thin.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This got posted after my recent 6 playthrough and it's like, yeah, maybe that's not the core path for the franchise, but it's a pretty goddamn fun path to go down. I sorta wish they had split off to examine both RE Prime and RE Wrestlemania gameplay and presentation.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

RE6 is good

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Leave posted:

My biggest problem with Zero is actually Rebecca's story in it. It didn't tie into the first game at all, and ultimately, has no importance to, well, anything. Don't get me wrong, it's nice that she got a game and some story of her own, but they ultimately didn't do poo poo with it.

I don't anything of RE0 tied in with anything. Billy's a complete nonentity that I don't even think has been referenced outside of 0 and those rail shooters that included levels from 0.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

This got posted after my recent 6 playthrough and it's like, yeah, maybe that's not the core path for the franchise, but it's a pretty goddamn fun path to go down. I sorta wish they had split off to examine both RE Prime and RE Wrestlemania gameplay and presentation.

It is telling that whenever something praise worthy about RE6 is brought up it's almost always from Jake & Sherry's campaign.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Vakal posted:

It is telling that whenever something praise worthy about RE6 is brought up it's almost always from Jake & Sherry's campaign.

Jake's definitely the goofiest fun, having an unarmed option, although Leon turns out to be great too (even if placing him as the default starter campaign was a mistake). The others a lot of fun moments too though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just in case anyone is still confused, re6 is radioactive cancer vermin and should never be touched, all other mainline games ok

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
leon himself was funny as hell, as per usual. unfortunately, zombies just aren't as fun to suplex as javo.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

codo27 posted:

Just in case anyone is still confused, re6 is radioactive cancer vermin and should never be touched, all other mainline games ok

Actually it’s good. Weird way to post though

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
some people will never forget their eternal grudge against a 10 year old video game they didn't like.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

One thing I didn't like in RE6 was how (spoilered for the goon planning to play it) how cynical and meanspirited it got. Leon goes through several areas with civilians in it and he either makes the situation worse for them or fails to save anyone. As for Chris, they tried to update his character...by dialing his BUT MY PARTNER trait up to 11 as well making him a belligerent rear end in a top hat. They wanted him to be torn up by all the people he lost, but throughout the campaign you keep losing people in Chris's team for arbitrary reasons and culminates with Piers dying anyway. And while the RE3 epilogue stated that Sherry was taken by the government, RE6 saying that Sherry spent most of her life as a lab rat just didn't sit right with me.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Favorite thing about Leon is that any vehicle he's been in cannot catch a loving break. I think the jetski in 4 is the only thing to avoid the Kennedy Curse.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

A Bystander posted:

Favorite thing about Leon is that any vehicle he's been in cannot catch a loving break. I think the jetski in 4 is the only thing to avoid the Kennedy Curse.

I mean in the worst case, Ashley comes with emergency floatation devices

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 10, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
leon in 6 is simply a demonstration that he cannot be around people. it never ends well! sending him into ridiculous b.o.w. hot zones alone is a mercy.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

A Bystander posted:

I think the jetski in 4 is the only thing to avoid the Kennedy Curse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylNjkwn156k

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

6 is a mess but Mercenaries was the best it had ever been. I spent hours and hours playing that though i never made it through the campaign.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
RE6 is the funniest game ever made. No other piece of interactive entertainment comes close for the completely absurd amount of laughs per minute. Me and a buddy worked our way through all the campaigns over the course of a week and by the end we were in uttery exhausted hysterics. If it's not the stupid cutscenes, it's the over the top QTEs, or the silly animations, just curveball after curveball. A travesty of a game and I'm so glad it exists.

But yeah it's dogshit.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Vakal posted:

Jake and Sherry lost on a snowy mountain is where RE6 lost me and the friend I was co-oping with.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
new mod dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNlW39W-nic

like barry's mod, lots of good stuff put into it including lisa! plays like hunk but for re1 with pickups and other crazy poo poo

full playthrough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzJ5wZsbm0U

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I only first played the Resident Evil series in 2019, after RE2Remake taught me how to love horror games. I went through all the numbered entries (more or less sequentially) and the sheer nosedive in quality from 4 ---> 5 ----> 6 was truly astonishing. 4 was a weird and unwelcome departure but was at least very good at what it wanted to do, and its charm did eventually win me over. And of course its influence on TPS and other action games that would come later was apparent.

5 was at least tolerable but very clear that it was made by people who wanted to ape 4 but were just not as talented.

6 was just a loving mess and a near unbearable slog. And then compounded insult to injury by being around twice the length of every other RE game. I envy those who played it co-op, at least you had someone to laugh at it with.

I will say this for 6 though - it made that first hour of 7 even more amazing because it was like getting to breathe fresh air again. Hell I actually played 0 at the same time as 6 and it made ZERO look pretty good in contrast.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

DourCricket posted:

I only first played the Resident Evil series in 2019, after RE2Remake taught me how to love horror games. I went through all the numbered entries (more or less sequentially) and the sheer nosedive in quality from 4 ---> 5 ----> 6 was truly astonishing. 4 was a weird and unwelcome departure but was at least very good at what it wanted to do, and its charm did eventually win me over. And of course its influence on TPS and other action games that would come later was apparent.

5 was at least tolerable but very clear that it was made by people who wanted to ape 4 but were just not as talented.

6 was just a loving mess and a near unbearable slog. And then compounded insult to injury by being around twice the length of every other RE game. I envy those who played it co-op, at least you had someone to laugh at it with.

I will say this for 6 though - it made that first hour of 7 even more amazing because it was like getting to breathe fresh air again. Hell I actually played 0 at the same time as 6 and it made ZERO look pretty good in contrast.
curious what you thought of the remake of 3 if you played it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
drat, infinite weapons in RE2make is hilarious and game breaking.

Of course Mr X can sometimes get a punch or two in while I reload the MP5, but still.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I cant imagine using automatic weapons in these games unless they put in an AK or if I got the gatling gun. Theres nothing like that POW impact, the plain old shotgun was my fave back in original RE2. Especially with the shoot the screen trick.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Carving off many, many legs with the SMG in REmake2 was pretty good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Full auto is good in RE but much like everything else the ammo is limited in the good RE games. You aren't running around with 300 backup rounds so it's functionally pretty similar to whatever pistol or shotgun you are using.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

DourCricket posted:

I remember liking re5 when I originally played it but I HATE co-op play in almost any game and especially hate it with an AI partner. I tried it again recently and didn't get real far. My partner's repetition of the same words and sayings over and over again along with managing inventory was really loving annoying. I think I would have enjoyed the game quite a bit if they had just included a single player mode separate from the 2 player one.

The AI partner in the Revelations games and Sherry in RE4 were fine.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

One reason I prefer RE6 over 5 is precisely because you don’t have to manage the AI partner’s inventory.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

lurker2006 posted:

curious what you thought of the remake of 3 if you played it.

I quite liked it, actually. I missed the sections that were removed but also made the characters likeable so it had that going for it. Nemesis was a disappointment because I was sure Mr. X was just a dry-run for their Nemesis tech/pathfinding. It's also the only one I have replayed (outside of 2 and 2RE's A/B routes)

Pablo Nergigante posted:

One reason I prefer RE6 over 5 is precisely because you don’t have to manage the AI partner’s inventory.

BiggerBoat posted:

I remember liking re5 when I originally played it but I HATE co-op play in almost any game and especially hate it with an AI partner...

Surprisingly I didn't really run into an AI issues. I only played on Normal however so maybe it becomes a problem higher up? Or just patches later smoothed out the issues. And I liked/hated in 6 that the AI partner didn't really need any sort of babysitting or micro from me. Hated it in the fact that I was never alone... in a horror game...

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The AR from RE3make was very satisfying to use. I wish Jill had it as a regular unlock rather than Infinite ammo one.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I hope future RE games do infinite unlocks like RE7 did, where you can use the fully modified versions of weapons with an infinite ammo item in your inventory. RE3Make is the worst because both the infinite pistol and assault rifle are garbage compared to the regular versions.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I was super bummed that there was no infinite shotgun.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

The AR from RE3make was very satisfying to use. I wish Jill had it as a regular unlock rather than Infinite ammo one.

The killer for me is how weaker individual bullets are compared to your 9mm.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Leave posted:

I was super bummed that there was no infinite shotgun.

I'd support a law requiring infinite shotgun ammo in all games that have shotguns.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

even without infinite ammo you can basically just get rid of your handgun after the police station garage and exclusively carry the shotgun for the rest of the game

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I never truly feel safe in a survival horror game until I've found a shotgun. They're comfort weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Leave posted:

I never truly feel safe in a survival horror game until I've found a shotgun. They're comfort weapons.

Whereas Resident Evil taught me at an early age never to get the shotgun because it's a trap