Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

I am a huge RE plot nerd, so if anyone has any questions, I can probably answer them.

Ein Bear posted:

So if Resident Evil 6 is set 10 years after Raccoon City, that places it in 2008, which is a year before Resident Evil 5, right?

This means we still have a chance of seeing a Leon/Wesker ham off!

There's some confusion about whether the game is 10 years or 15 years after the Raccoon City disaster. If it's ten years, that means RE6 is set in the same damned year as RE5, which means Chris is having a very eventful time of it.

I really doubt there's a sliding time scale in effect. It's far more likely that somebody made a typo along the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Schlegel Mach posted:

e: Also if you called Resident Evil 'Resi' to my face I would probably instinctively punch you.

For some reason, all of the UK people call it "Resi." I used to do a lot of writing for OXM UK and NGamer back in the day and it drove me up the wall.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Cardboard Fox posted:

Since February is looking rather thin for games I may as well get back into the Resident Evil series. I've always wanted to play through all the good games, but only managed to beat 4 and 5. I have most of them lying around somewhere, but I wanted to ask you guys what order I should play them in. I'm thinking:

1. Resident Evil remake
2. Resident Evil 2
3. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
4. Resident Evil 4
5. Resident Evil 5

Where does Code Veronica and 0 come in? Are there any others that I don't know about that are worth playing? And are there any remakes on 2 and 3 I'm not aware about? It's going to be a little weird going from the GC version of 1 to the PSX versions of 2 and 3.

I'd just play the core franchise in order like that and see where it takes you, although Code: Veronica is kind of like RE3.5 and has a bearing on RE5, so make time for that. If you're still chafing at the bit for more Resident Evil at that point, check out some of the side games.

Of those, RE: Survivor is absolutely skippable and has never been ported to another system, RE: Dead Aim isn't that bad but is kind of clunky to play and has a goofy James Bond story, the Outbreak games were designed for multiplayer on servers that are no longer running, and RE: Gaiden is just flat-out terrible.

RE0 is a pretty polarizing game that has since not turned out to matter at all to anyone, but it's got the highest production values of any of the side games and is probably worth checking out just so you can say you've tried it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Schlegel Mach posted:

Pretty much that, except less intentional and more Capcom not giving a gently caress.

I mean, the Chinese government had an orbital laser that could lock onto a microchip under someone's skin in like 2005. Umbrella having future guns isn't much of a stretch.

Pretty much. At this point in Resident Evil canon, Umbrella had human cloning in the mid-1980s, functioning cryogenic storage facilities in the 1990s, and custom-built pretty much all their weapons and hardware. In Code Veronica, the gun you use to kill the final boss is a man-portable plasma caster, and there's a working railgun in RE3. (I always wondered, given what's established by other games/movies with railguns in them: what happened to the slugs from that railgun in RE3? Did Jill knock down any buildings on the East Coast?)

The ORC team using slightly more advanced weapons and gear than what they'd ordinarily have had in 1998 isn't even a big deal. Umbrella being well ahead of the technology bell curve is pretty well-established in the games by now.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I don't remember seeing this here. Official art and character blurbs for Echo Six, the Special Forces team in ORC:
http://residentevilnews.com/631/mee...accoon-city.php

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

FuriousGeorge posted:

I'm not sure I get why the OP describes RE4 as "contentious". It seems pretty universally beloved to me.

Are there people who don't like it? And if so, why haven't they been deported?

"Contentious" is a fair label. The original RE games have a notoriously fervent, deeply weird fan community, many of whom don't like RE4 because it's so different from what came before it. Some have bridged the gap, but I'd imagine you could go to any RE fansite right now and find a good number of regulars who're clamoring for a return to the old style of play.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Rough Lobster posted:

So, any new news on RE6?

I wouldn't expect any serious news about RE6 until E3. If they start talking about it now, they run the risk of killing the buzz on both Revelations and ORC.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Policenaut posted:

I imagine it's a lot more expensive and intensive to create these kinds of games now. Back in the 90s/early 2000s all you had to do was draw up a CG image for environments, but now you have to fully design them. Don't really blame them for wanting to play it safe.

It's not so much that, as it's the rising cost of triple-A game development. Horror is an inherently limiting genre, and is regardless of the medium; it's had really big hits, the same as anything else, but many people just don't get it and never will, and of those who do, many come to a given work wanting very different, contradictory things. One of the reasons why survival horror as a genre has been moving so slowly for the last few years is because of that inherent limitation. There's a built-in hard cap on the horror audience.

They could sit down tomorrow and decide to make a full-speed-ahead, '90s-style horror game, because aside from Mikami and Hideki Kamiya, much of the behind-the-scenes talent on the past RE games is still at the company. Alternatively, they could go to whoever makes the Amnesia games with a big dump truck full of Street Fighter money and upend it on his lawn. That doesn't remove the hard cap, so you'd be spending a fair amount of development time and cash to, at the absolute best, break even.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I don't think I'm going to be able to bring myself to shoot Leon.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Mogomra posted:

Didn't the DVD that came with Code Veronica X preorders have Wesker ominously saying something like, "There's something about this girl..." while showing RE2 Sherry with jail bars super-imposed over her? What happened to that? Was that DVD ever considered canon?

It's been sort of haphazardly declared non-canon over the course of the last ten years or so. The biggest thing is that Wesker's Report is written from a weird, garbled version of RE2 where Leon's the only protagonist, and every actual game in the series has featured Claire A/Leon B as canon.

Sherry was in U.S. government custody as of Darkside Chronicles, but RE6 is the first time anyone's actually done anything with her since then.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Revitalized posted:

Have Chris and Leon ever met?

Leon passed Chris the surveillance data Claire forwarded him at the start of CV, and Chris has read the "Kennedy Report" concerning the events of RE4.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Revitalized posted:

New ORC Spec Ops Expansion 1 dlc hit today. $9.99 for 3 more missions. City Hall versus Umbrella folks, Underground Lab versus Nemmy, and Sewers versus Birkin.

After playing the first mission, I'll admit to being curious what happens to Echo Six, but man, gently caress Nemesis fights in ORC. That bit with him in the first free mission irritated the hell out of me.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Revitalized posted:

What set pieces?

The laser corridor from the first movie is in RE4 and Umbrella Chronicles. Other than that, your guess is as good as mine.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

SolidRed posted:

Wiki tells me that George A. Romero originally created a script starring Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine and featuring Barry Burton, Rebecca Chambers, Ada Wong and Albert Wesker for the first Resident Evil movie that was rejected so I guess gently caress you Hollywood.

Yeah, he did. It's been on the Internet for years.

There's been this weird conviction in the RE fan community for years that Chris and Claire are half Indian, and I figure it's got something to do with this script.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

The versus mode isn't bad persay, it's just horribly balanced to hell and back. I like the premise, but I don't like the execution.

Yeah, it's basically Lupo, Leon, Dee Ay, or Nicholai with shotguns vs. everyone else. Super Soldier is just a bad idea for an ability in a multiplayer game, since it's a win button on a short cooldown.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The Daylight vaccine was the focus of the last scenario in the first Outbreak, "Decisions, Decisions." If they're bringing that back, then I guess that answers the question of whether or not the Outbreak games are canon.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

What's been kind of bugging me is that Jake is clearly an adult and at least in his late twenties, presumably a year or two older than Sherry.

He's Wesker's son. That's fine, but aside from the "Wesker Project" design, Wesker didn't get virus'd up until late 1998. Unless Jake is a really cynical, fast-aging fifteen-year-old boy, I'm really not sure what's supposed to be all that special about him.

Also, they released this promo render of Ada on the RE Facebook page yesterday, and she's got a modernized version of her crossbow from Separate Ways. It looks like it's bigger than she is.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I know about the genetic engineering angle, yeah, but I'm still wondering about it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Erik The Viking posted:

I'm hype for it too. It's going to be bad, but I'm going to enjoy it anyway because of the bad.

My hype level's getting fairly embarrassing. I sat down last week and got most of the way towards 1000/1000 on RE5, which required a lot of truly ridiculous bullshit. I refuse to play Versus, though.

Just going from what I'm seeing, I think a lot of people are being too hard on RE6 just out of knee-jerk Internet cynicism. There are a lot of little features in there from the gameplay footage that are genuine improvements, like letting you pistol-whip or kick open crates and barrels, and I'm interested in seeing Leon's campaign.

It'll be like everything else. The comments thread on any preview is doom, gloom, and calls for the death of the series, but it'll come out and sell a billion copies and we'll get DLC and rereleases all next year.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

xomocekc posted:

So apparently RE6 is happening in Serbia in part? In this video people are speaking Serbian and Djavo (idiotically stylized as J'avo) and Ustanak are Serbian words too. It would be totally cool if part of Resident Evil is set in my country to be honest even if the plot will no doubt be that Serbian war criminals and/or corrupt government are working with/are terrorists.

Apparently the deal is that when Jake Muller's campaign starts, he's been working as a mercenary with an anti-government group in a fictional eastern European country called Edonia. His buddies get hit with the C-Virus, but he survives.

It's funny that they're speaking Serbian, but it's well in keeping with the weird geography of the last few games. RE4 had a bunch of dudes in rural Spain speaking Mexican Spanish and still using pesetas; RE5 had a poor country in western Africa speaking Swahili and using Nigerian money.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

This is what I love about the Resident Evil franchise. Are those intentional design choices, or did they just not give a poo poo? There's genuinely an equal chance for both.

I'm inclined to believe that in RE4, the pesetas were deliberate due to the rest of the village being a huge throwback, and the Mexican Spanish was just because all the voice actors tend to be hired in California or New York. It's not like a good 80% of the players are going to notice the accent and verb structure is wrong.

In RE5, I figure they either didn't give a poo poo or they were deliberately going for a hodgepodge to drive home the idea that it wasn't a real country. It's also entirely possible that they just thought Swahili worked better for what they wanted to use it for, which was monster names and enemies shouting.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I went looking for a transcript of Revelations's files the other day and stumbled back upon Project Umbrella, a site for some pretty hardcore RE fans. I wasn't honestly expecting it to still be around, but there it is.

My favorite thing on the site at the moment is this post, which argues that Raccoon City was in southern Missouri.

I used to live in Missouri, and trust me: every bit of applied stupidity in the Raccoon City games would be explained perfectly if it was in southern Missouri.

Meowjesty posted:

There was also the bottomless pit of people pods in 5. How did Wesker even build that? How do you just silently build a bottomless pit of people pods in the middle of not-Africa?

By having billions of dollars and working on the site for just under thirty years. Umbrella had perfectly functional cryogenic storage in the early eighties and the pod farm was on a base they first built in 1969.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Meowjesty posted:

Goddamn RE5 really is more goofy than I give it credit for. Extreme makeovers, seven minutes to hang out, giant people pod pits. If only Chris and Sheva were in on the joke the same way Leon was in 4.

It's action-movie goofy as opposed to giant terracotta midget statue goofy.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Shinji Mikami does with this new game Zwei he's working on.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

xomocekc posted:

Speaking of RE5, does anyone have any tips for the final chapter? I'm finding it really hard to progress past the point where I open the primary bulkhead and the two insect things appear. They keep one hit killing me, so I just ended up using the Grenade Launcher with explosive ammo but that seems wasteful. For the next part with the two gatling gun Majini I don't seem to have any enough ammo, but I do have enough first aid sprays. I also didn't really buy any of the new weapons and just upgraded the ones you start with, because that was the way to go in RE4.

So is there some trick or any easier way to get past this?

All of the weapons in RE5 except the unlockable bonus guns are available at some point during the game, usually in a shiny silver case. You don't have to buy any of them.

The moment you throw the levers to open the last bulkhead, veer left and drop down to the lower level. If you go back the way you came, there's a short tunnel down there that's a perfect choke point. You can set up a bunch of proximity mines down there before you pull the levers, then lead the Reapers into the tunnel and blow them up.

For the gatling gun guys, they work a lot like they did in RE4. You can keep them both stunlocked with rifle or Magnum rounds to the head or hand grenades. The way you're "supposed" to beat them seems to be to lead them on a chase scene like I just recommended with the Reapers.

Another option, although it's only really useful if you have a buddy, is to wait until the final bulkhead opens and use the turret near the final door.

Fraction posted:

I think this was my problem with RE 5. They're both just so dull, in comparison to all the craziness around them.

"I've had enough of your bullshit!" is still my pick for greatest line in the entire series.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Crowetron posted:

Good Lord, I hope so!

They don't even have to resurrect him. He's got a little brother named Alex running around, and there are at least eleven others that they could pull out of their asses.

I like to think that at least one of the as-yet-unseen Wesker Children is a dead ringer for Albert but is actually a pretty nice guy. Goes to church, has a couple of kids, still very much in love with his first wife, is a really big They Might Be Giants fan. Teaches biology at a private school somewhere and has to continually convince his bros that no, it's not a clever plan to conduct tests on the students.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Teen Hero Greg posted:

This is a fun mental image. Vaguely sinister hair-gel-sporting guy, wearing sunglasses in all circumstances, explaining adenosine triphosphate with one of those funky color-in scientific diagrams in a portable.

He likes to wear bow ties and his sunglasses are prescription. Whenever a kid asks him about them for the first time in a given semester, he takes it as an opportunity to explain how the human eye works and does so with such joy in the teaching that nobody ever notices that he doesn't actually answer the question. He drives a Prius and bakes a mean chocolate-chip muffin.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

Anything I should keep in mind while playing through them?

The original games' "tank controls" are the biggest sticking point for somebody who's new to the series. It's not that they're that much different than RE4, but the perspective's different because of the pre-rendered backgrounds.

RE: Ammunition is at an absolute premium and the knife is mostly useful as a last great act of defiance. Jill has two extra item slots, can find the grenade launcher, and gets a lot of puzzle solutions for "free" compared to Chris, so it's a good idea to play as her for your first time through the game.

RE2: Try to get through the opening section of the game without firing a shot. It's a lot more lenient on the ammunition than RE is, but it's useful to conserve it whenever possible. In Claire's game, use explosive rounds to clear out crowds, acid rounds to kill Lickers, and flame rounds against the Ivy. In Leon's game, when you find the parts to make the Custom Handgun/Shotgun/Magnum, don't do it until such a time as you've emptied the weapon's magazine, as creating the Custom version of the gun also refills the clip.

Claire has slightly less health than Leon and her weapons are a bit less effective (for example, a lot of people will recommend that you completely ignore her crossbow), so Claire A/Leon B is the ideal path for your first time through the game.

RE3: Do not try to fight Nemesis on your first time playing the game. You have to use up so much ammunition on him that it really changes your entire approach. You can either dodge him every chance you get and have ammo to spare for the rest of the game, or kill him repeatedly and end up having to dodge most everything else.

When you do have to fight him, and there are three unavoidable encounters with Nemesis in the game, combine Gunpowder C with explosive rounds to make Freeze Grenades. He may dodge a couple of them, but they drop him in fewer shots than any other weapon in the game.

RE:CV: Some people think this is the easiest "classic" RE; some people think it's the hardest. Save explosive powder/arrows for bosses or Bandersnatches, and be sure to take the empty fire extinguisher with you and ditch it in an item box. There's a hidden sequence of item usage which culminates in you being able to finally get the Magnum towards the end of the game, and a lot of first-time players miss out on it by leaving the empty fire extinguisher behind in the security checkpoint.

You also want to be sure to find the hemostat and give it to Rodrigo back in the cellblock at the start of the game. It's not necessary for successful completion, but it counts towards your final rank and it's part of the item chain that leads to the Magnum. A lot of first-time players don't realize that helping Rodrigo is even an option.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

Anthology doesn't come with Code Veronica though. Or Resident Evil 0. From what I hear, that's a good thing.

RE2 and RE3 are probably the highlight of the "classic" era. RE0 was in development hell for the better part of four years, the inventory system's pretty stupid, and it's got the least effective/interesting villain. CV is like four very different games had a baby together.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

VagueRant posted:

In the weird Dreamcast version of RE2, it had Arrange Mode where you started off with an infinite ammo submachine gun and had an infinite ammo rocket launcher in the item boxes.

So that was nice.

If I was going to replay RE2 and had my pick of any version, I'd probably go with the N64 cart. There's a nifty option you unlock by clearing the game called the Randomizer, which reshuffles health and ammunition drops.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

So, big RE6 news out of Gamescom:

- You can sign up for a free account at residentevil.net to track your progress and participate in a bunch of online challenges. The rewards include extra costumes for Mercenaries, one of which appears to be Leon in a Napoleon hat and as such I am immediately interested.

The video describing the features makes it sound a lot more like Left 4 Dead 2's online functionality than, say, Ubisoft's shenanigans. It's a smart call.

- Big slices of new gameplay from Games.com, including Jake and Sherry outrunning an avalanche in snowmobiles. Jake's game is starting to really remind me of Uncharted.

- Sherry has a healing factor because the G-Virus is still in her system.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I had some spare time last week and updated the big RE plot document I wrote when I was in college. I'd been meaning to take another look at it for a while now, since it's actually been quite professionally helpful to me from time to time, but I'd never had the inclination.

If you'd like to look at the new version, it's up at
http://sites.google.com/site/stolis...plot/replot.txt

Feel free to spread the link around. I've tried to update the version on GameFAQs a couple of times now but it hasn't really worked out; my account's from two major backend revisions ago so they don't want to believe it's actually me.

thebardyspoon posted:

I think I hosed up Code Veronica twice, got to the plane fight without enough ammo and then second time through I took some good stuff to fight Nosferatu, I'd missed the assault rifle in the arctic and probably hosed up getting the magnum as well so Chris had no good weapons at all. That game had some real bullshit aspects.

The thing about Chris's game is that you can go through about 90% of it with the shotgun and handgun. Off the top of my head, he doesn't run into a mandatory boss fight until Alexia, since the giant spider fight can be skipped very easily.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Code Veronica's unique among the "classic" RE games in that there's a really huge difference between someone who's never played the game before and someone on their third or fourth run. It's really easy to have a ton of ammo and health in reserve if you know what you're doing and exactly what to use and when.

blackguy32 posted:

-Chris gets a free upgrade to his handgun if you bring it to a work desk. I don't know what it exactly does, but I always felt Claire's handgun was still better.

The modified Glock penetrates its first target, which makes it really good if there are a couple of zombies stacked together. It still loses out to the burst handgun.

blackguy32 posted:

-Give the lighter to Rodrigo, it will give you access to some other weapons later. Plus, Rodrigo is a cool guy

You can find a jar of hemostatic medicine at one point. I want to say it's in a bathroom. If you bring it back to Rodrigo, you can trade him your lighter for another useful item, and by that point Claire will never need it again.

Its primary use in her game is keeping bats off of you, which is useful in maybe two rooms total.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 19, 2012

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

ApexAftermath posted:

Anyone got a good walkthrough for Code Veronica? I always have trouble with it and I'd like to go through it the "right way" this time. I started watching a video walkthrough on youtube but it became clear right away the dude sucked as he didn't use the knife on zombies at the opening and got bit to all hell almost every time he would encounter anything. I know there is a certain way to do things to maximize your playthrough and I'm just wondering if anyone has something handy to guide me?

The biggest thing, which was mentioned a couple of pages ago, has to do with the fire extinguisher. Be sure to take the empty fire extinguisher along with you and ditch it in an item box. You can use it much later in the game to solve an optional puzzle.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

SolidRed posted:

As someone who missed this and left it in the room with the item detector how do you take the fire extinguisher back? Doesn't the metal detector stop you?

Put it in the first box, go through the metal detector, do what you have to do past the security checkpoint, then leave everything else in the room except the emblem you need and take the fire extinguisher from the security box on your way out the door.

Later in the game, you can reenter that room from another door past the security gate and grab the rest of what's in there, such as the gas rounds.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Anyone on 360 up for a co-op RE5 run on Professional? I need that and some monies to get 100% of the achievements. My GT is TvsWanderer.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

AASman posted:

A big part of that is Mikami's departure.

I wouldn't go that far. Mikami departed early in the development cycle for RE5 and has a major design credit of some sort on every game in the series, so you can give him both credit and blame for everything.

It's probably more accurate to say that the remake is the last "classic" survival horror game in the series that doesn't have some kind of attached extenuating circumstances. RE0 was in dev hell for something like four years before it finally came out and the Outbreak games were multiplayer.

Mikami always seemed to have a really hard time moving on with the series after RE:CV, and if he hadn't blown it all up and started over with RE4, there's no doubt in my mind there'd be RE2/RE3 remakes in development right now.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

As I understand it, the remake and RE0 are both very specifically designed to run on the GameCube and would be prohibitively difficult to port to another platform.

One of the reasons Mikami ended up leaving Capcom was because he loved the GameCube and hated that RE4 ended up being ported to the PS2.

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

RE2 remade in the style of RE4 is probably my dream game. It's a shame that it will most likely never happen.

I know a lot of people who've said that, and honestly I can't quite agree. The series needed to move forward very badly, since roughly half the series to this date takes place in or around the mansion incident or the Raccoon City outbreak, and remaking RE2 or RE3 would just perpetuate that cycle. The entire RE franchise has a disturbing habit of crawling up its own rear end.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Special RE6 post-launch events at Six Flags:
http://www.critiques4geeks.com/2012...alloween-event/

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'm seeing reports online that vendors in Poland have broken street date on RE6, so it may be time to start being very careful about spoilers. RE5 had a real problem with it, so if you're sensitive about that kind of thing, maybe stay off of YouTube or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I got a review copy of RE6 yesterday, and after flailing madly at my debug 360 until it decided to loving work, just work baby, all I want is for you to love me, I've been playing the game for the last embarrassing number of hours.

I am under a spectacularly strict embargo concerning coverage of the game, and do not wish to get lawyered at, but I will say this for the benefit of all involved:

If you, like me, accidentally stumbled across the early spoilers, I am happy to confirm that they are rumors and untrue. I've cleared Leon and Chris's campaigns so far.