Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Leyburn posted:

If it's not against the spectacularly strict embargo, could you tell us how long it took you to complete the campaigns?

I'm playing initially on Amateur to get used to the new controls. With that in mind, along with pauses to look around, scout for collectibles, and getting stuck figuring out where to go next or something, I'm knocking them down in about maybe seven to eight hours per campaign. That's ballpark; I don't have the game in front of me right now for exact figures.

I'm having fun overall. Next up, Jake's campaign.

Beyond that, I'm not saying poo poo about it to anyone until my embargo's lifted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Captain Walker posted:

In my experience, all of RE5 was like 7 hours tops, and you can easily do it in 5 if you have good guns and know what to do. Is RE6 really three times as long? That is good news, and adds to my desire to pick up the game.

My first RE5 clear on Normal mode was twelve hours. So far on Amateur, I've cleared Leon, Chris, and Jake's campaigns in 19:30.

It's also worth mentioning that the parts of the game where the characters split up are more clearly delineated than in RE5 and you actually do different things depending on who you're playing as. I think there's all of two areas in RE5 where playing as Sheva gave you a distinctly different experience, but there's a lot of it about here.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Resident Evil: Damnation is available early on the Zune video service on XBLA and, I'm told, the equivalent on the PSN. It's not bad.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I find it really satisfying to use the melee finishers, but you have to set them up. Jake has the old German suplex Leon was using, and Leon's replaced it with a jumping facebuster. Helena has a really solid elbow drop and this ridiculously elaborate tilt-a-whirl slam.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Mouser.. posted:

The game isn't co-op the whole way through like RE5. I need to find the source but the way I understand it, you reach a section and it prompts you to find a person online that is doing the same section and fight together until you get through it. Sounds pretty lame.

It only does that in Ada's campaign, and you can skip it when it happens.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

Played the demo and Leon's scenario is the only one that I really liked, probably because it didn't have any incredibly lovely cover shooting.

The key is to realize that gunfire is about the least dangerous thing in this game unless you stand still and eat a full burst, or unless you let a sniper put a round into you. Gunfire is something you wade through on your way to do the real damage to a guy, because everyone in this game is made of Kevlar.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

OldMemes posted:

So does the public in the Resident Evil games know about the bioweapons, or is it all hushed up, and this global outbreak is the first time anyone has had solid proof of them?

The public knows they exist. Umbrella was taken down in a very public trial that took several years to resolve, and between 1998 and 2005, bio-weapons got onto the black market and were used in a number of terrorist attacks throughout the planet, including multiple locations in the U.S. Degeneration deals pretty extensively with that, to the point where there are protestors running around an airport wearing zombie masks.

When the President says he's going to reveal the truth about Raccoon City in Leon's game, he actually means he's going to come clean to the general public about the U.S. government's culpability in the disaster.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'm embargoed until the 1st and can't say more, but that is discussed in the game.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Lucid Delusion posted:

True, the public knows that the government took action to contain the outbreak by nuking Raccoon City. I would assume they'd play up the fact that Umbrella wasn't just making B.O.Ws for just anyone and that it was more of a government contract. That of course changed the narrative a bit to make it into more of a government conspiracy as opposed to Umbrella just being a shady mega corporation.

Not exactly. It's actually picking up on a long-since-dropped plot point. RE3 had a lot of little hints in its endgame that there were at least elements within the U.S. government that knew exactly what Umbrella was up to.

This includes the U.S. Special Forces team that's lying around dead in the room where you fight the final battle with Nemesis and a file where Umbrella mentions it's trying to use its political influence to stop the air strike on Raccoon City.

Of course, then RE:CV had nothing to do with this and they completely dropped the Umbrella plotline, but RE6 picks right back up on it like it's not a thing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The Pickles posted:

Is it confirmed whether or not there will be splitscreen coop in the actual game? My only disappointment with the demo was that it was absent.

There is.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

I'm gonna bet the biggest offender is Leon's campaign, cause drat all the demos from Leon's are baaaaaaaaaad; while Chris's and Jake's are great once you get used to the new controls and the cover mechanics.

Pretty much this.

I'm under embargo too, but I've played a review build, and "polarizing" is a good word for it. There are a lot of finicky little separate factors going into an RE6 review that all have absolutely bugger-all to do with the game itself, foremost among them being whether or not the reviewer is nostalgic for the late nineties.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Alteisen posted:

I personally think its bullshit plus they'll probably gently caress it up somehow. There's a community blog on d-toid there that actually presents a very good point, RE5 and 6 take themselves far to seriously whereas 4 was a lot more light-hearted yet still managed to retain its atmosphere and tension.

Counterpoint: Jake's entire campaign.

That poo poo is in no way serious. Leon gets kind of jokey towards the end, too.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Cinroth posted:

Is there multiplayer Mercenaries in this?

Yes.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh gently caress yes. ORC doesn't live up to its promise, it doesn't mess with the canon as much as they promised (hilariously it actually makes the series more consistent by showing what was going on in the background), it's cheaply made, it's generally average but

Yeah, it's actually pretty good about the canon right up until the second to last Wolfpack mission.

The Echo Six DLC, on the other hand, gives no fucks.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

UnL337 posted:

The gameplay is excellent. I love the constant variation in enemies. The environments could stand to be a bit more interactive, though. My biggest complaint would probably be how bullet-spongey the main zombies are.

Without breaking my embargo, I'm going to say this:

The name of the game in RE6 is hit the weak point. Everything in this game is bullet-spongey as all gently caress unless you hit it wherever it's weakest. With zombies, that means headshots; with J'avo, that means body shots, which have the lowest chance to provoke mutation. The loading screens often provide tips on weak spots (i.e. the fat bastards in Leon's game have bad knees).

In most of the game, a good solid hit on a boss anywhere except the weak spot is still going to inflict notable damage, but you'll get more damage and save ammo if you try to be as accurate as possible. There's one boss fight in particular where you can spend every goddamned bullet in the world on him and you won't get any real results unless you're attacking his weak spot.

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Chris' campaign: It's pretty hilarious, especially if you consider that it was pretty much as long ago that his team all died as it was at the beginning of RE5 since Jill had 'died', which didn't seem to make him any less civil.

That wasn't "his team" in RE5. The first team was a separate group entirely, and the second was Josh's. He's also really cynical and dark about everything right up until he finds the intel about Jill, which turns him around.

Chris picked up a really paternal streak at some point between games and he takes it personally when guys under his command get whacked.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Almost Smart posted:

I don't trust goon opinion on brand new, big title games and review "embargoes" scare the hell out of me. If that's not a tacit admission that a game/movie/whatever is going to suck and is heavily banking on early sales to ignorant consumers, I don't know what is. I'm definitely going to Redbox this bastard. I really enjoyed RE4 and RE5, but there's just too many red flags surrounding this game.

Almost every game has review embargoes, whether you're aware of it or not.

Basically, it's like this: any video game that ships on disc makes some ridiculous percentage of all the profit it's ever going to make in the first week. That first week's sales are everything and it only drops from there on out. Thus, most companies have embargoes, because they would prefer that the critical reaction, whatever it's going to be, be paired with the game's availability. I can't think of a single game I've ever reviewed in the last ten years that wasn't embargoed until the day before it shipped.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

timeandtide posted:

Can anyone confirm/deny that Leon shoots down a missile with his pistol? The way one of the trailers was edited makes it appear as if this happens, and I just don't want my hopes too high.

No. The trailer edits together two sequences that are relatively close together.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I didn't think RE6 had any legitimate creep-out value, but (late, late-game) holy loving poo poo Ada's campaign just took a turn for the horrifying.

I've had the game for three weeks, and every time I saw somebody pitch a fit about how the series "isn't horror anymore," I've thought of that level and had to force myself to keep my goddamn mouth shut.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Azubah posted:

Related to the endings I heard that they're very brief and don't really give much closure, then you get a preview of upcoming DLC, can anyone confirm this?

I'm just really leery of Capcom after the bullshit they pulled with Asura's Wrath.

I didn't see any previews, no.

The endings are very brief initially, then show extra scenes after the credits are over. You can skip the credits and still get the extra ending.

Leon's gives a fair bit of closure. Chris's doesn't. Jake's does, but a good chunk of his is inexplicably shoved off to the end of Ada's game.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

skog posted:

So people who have played the final product, is it as bad as the demo?

goons on the last page of the loving thread posted:

UnL337 posted:

All in all, I'm very impressed, and can't wait to play more. I definitely enjoy this more than 5 thus far.

chopbustabrown posted:

Pretty happy with the game so far- just finished chapter 3 of Leon's campaign, playing as the Helena. So happy that I have a public holiday tomorrow and don't have to work aha. Enjoying the environment a lot more than RE5- something about zombies in a city just gets me.

God, no. Actually, here's my thoughts: If RE1/2 is Evil Dead, and RE4/5 is Evil Dead 2, RE6 is Army of Darkness, and that is absolutely a compliment.

Dr Eggman posted:

Wanted to stop by and say the demo is injustice. The game is so much better.

fauxical posted:

The controls feel so much better. Based on the demo though the visuals look really rough but the gameplay is everything RE5 should have been. Looks like there is a chance that this will turn out decent after all.

You tell me.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

whaley posted:

Only one of those compares the demo to the full game. The last comment isn't even about the full game

Four out of five of them are by people who're playing early retail copies. The fifth isn't, admittedly.

I don't see how "maybe you should've read the last page of the thread" is a controversial statement, particularly around here.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

Question, how did this game get a near-perfect score on famitsu, yet so panned everywhere else?

It's entirely possible that some kind of Japanese-development bias kicked in at Famitsu, since RE6 is one of the only big in-house productions to come out this year.

My review went live this morning and I ended up giving it an 8, but I'm a huge fan of the series, so maybe take it with a grain of salt. There are levels of this game that I absolutely can't stand, the cover system is actively retarded, and Chris's campaign is incredibly lame right up until his fourth chapter or so, but Leon and Ada's campaigns are some of the best levels the series has seen in years.

I didn't really appreciate Leon's game until playing it in co-op, though. Co-op really turns up the difficulty in a serious way, where every bullet is precious.

poptart_fairy posted:

Jesus, ORC has the best voice actors ever for its villains.

"I see...everything. "

Who voices HUNK, anyway? He's annoyingly familiar but I cannot for the life of me place him.

Keith Silverstein. Looks like he's been around for a while and has been in a lot of things.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Crowetron posted:

Are we still arguing about reviews, or can I ask if there's a recommended order to do the campaigns in? I was planning to start with Chris and see if I can't punch alcoholism in the face.

If you played a lot of RE5 like I did, RE6 changes up the controls enough that your muscle memory is likely to be loving with you for a while. For example, the button that opened doors in RE5 is now your melee attack in 6, and both reloading and picking up items is done with L2/LT.

Chris's campaign starts off with some fairly intense combat, so it's not a great place to learn the new controls. It's a better idea to start with Leon's.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Care to explain? In the demo item drops were separate between people. I played with a friend and whenever I destroyed crates they could pick up the items and they would still be there for me.

Or do you mean that ammo is scarce in Leon's campaign and coop adds more enemies?

In the review build, doing local split-screen co-op, ammo drops were unique and one person taking them would remove them from the game world. My partner and I had to keep an eye on each other's ammo count and sort things out appropriately, based upon who needed what. In that mode, melee combat wasn't just fun to look at, but was actually very necessary to conserve bullets.

When you're playing it solo, however, RE6 takes the Revelations route and your partner is invincible, with infinite ammo. They're a little bit more effective than the Revelations partner was, but that still leaves you to suck up all the skill points and ammo drops, which means I often had full bandoliers and was carefully managing my inventory. This was particularly bad later on, after I'd found a couple of extra weapons.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Each of the four campaigns is long enough that they could have each been released as their own short game. I believe my final clear time for all four scenarios was 26 hours, although I spent a lot of time hunting for collectibles.

farfromsleep posted:

Can you play solo campaign as either character from the outset like the demo, or is it an unlock like in RE5?

Right from the outset.

farfromsleep posted:

Is there a roster of playable Mercenaries characters up anywhere yet? Failing that, did Jill make the cut? All I've seen so far just list the main characters, I hope there's a couple more than that.

When you first fire up Mercenaries, Chris, Jake, and Leon are available. Getting a high score on each of the first three stages unlocks Helena, Piers, and Sherry, and clearing Ada's campaign unlocks her for Mercenaries mode.

Getting an S rank on any stage with a character unlocks their first alternate costume, and unlocking all seven alternate costumes also unlocks Carla Radames. If there are any characters beyond that, I sure haven't seen them.

The alternate costumes, incidentally, are:

Leon: Full pirate regalia complete with a stuffed raven glued to his right shoulder.
Helena: She's fully dressed, but she looks like a stripper in a cop uniform at the start of her routine.
Chris: A half-naked samurai outfit.
Piers: A car-racing one-piece covered in logos, including Capcom, Biohazard, and the Stagla gas station logo from RE2.
Jake: A big puffy-sleeved jacket and sunglasses, which makes him look kind of like he's standing in the background in a rap video.
Sherry: Her old school uniform from RE2, which doesn't fit anymore.
Ada: A white cheongsam with a white flower in her hair.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 1, 2012

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Tremors posted:

No mention of the retro costumes? http://imgur.com/a/Nw04H

I have no idea how to unlock those.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

charismaslover posted:

Chris Chapter 3 - good god the jeep turret/driving was terrible, why would they make the controls so loose in that section

I remember there were early reports that Chris was the last scenario they added and wasn't originally slated to be in the game, and goddamn if there aren't entire chunks of his campaign that feel like no one involved with it wanted to be there.

He gets a really solid final boss fight, but that's the best I've got to say about it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

AASman posted:

But I was happy with the core gameplay of the demo though. Is there enough of that in the game, or do the constant QTE really gently caress up the pacing?

QTEs are used to break grapples or counterattack telegraphed moves from enemies. There's one particular kind of zombie that starts showing up late in Leon's game that's actually best dealt with through a QTE, as if you get it right it's a one-hit kill.

There are a couple of QTEs in the game that are genuinely irritating, one of which is in the tutorial, but if you're seeing them all that often, you should probably stop being grabbed by zombies so much.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Monster w21 Faces posted:

You can't parody something just by doing that thing. Especially in games.

I do think there's a meritorious complaint to be made that, particularly in Leon and Ada's games, there's a sense that they're doing stuff just for the sake of the cheap shout-out. Leon does have a couple of lines that basically exist to hammer home the idea that "we made you guys another Resident Evil 2, have you noticed yet?!"

I can see how that'd irritate some people, particularly if they aren't particularly invested in the series, and I expect Yahtzee to zero in on that. It really does highlight how the franchise has seemed to be adrift since Shinji Mikami left Capcom, but RE6's better scenarios provide reasons to be cautiously optimistic.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Although I've heard people say they don't like RE5 because it RUINED Resident Evil's story... which I don't understand, because Capcom games have always had mediocre stories.

It's the same reason why some people will defend Final Fantasy VII's story until they're blue in the face. There are a lot of people who have a lot of affection for the franchise's plot, as silly and shaky as it is, and a lot of it's down to nostalgia and childhood exposure. The characters seem to have latched onto a lot of people's imaginations in a way that I'm not sure Capcom either understands or knows what to do with.

I'd imagine with most of those people you mention, when they say "it ruined the story," what they mean is "Wesker died." That slicked-back douchecannon commands a greater share of fangirl adulation than I care to consciously acknowledge.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Teen Hero Greg posted:

I don't know, after all of the times when they've faked out his defeat or resurrected him, it seems kinda cheating to actually kill him. It's in defiance of all logic, but then so is the rest of Resident Evil a lot of the time.

Once each?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Almost Smart posted:

On an unrelated note, I completely missed RE:Revelations. Is it any good? Is it playable without the circlepad? And most importantly, is it sufficiently cheesy?

It's playable, and it's very much an attempt to recapture the same sort of feel as Lost in Nightmares. Everything in it is a huge bullet sponge.

I don't think it's that cheesy until the ending. I liked it well enough, but goddamn if I wasn't scrimping for ammo the entire time.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

timeandtide posted:

What's the best narrative order to play through Resident Evil 6?

I'm thinking Leon first, but am not sure on the others.

In the narrative, Jake's first two chapters are chronologically the earliest part of the game.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Thievery posted:

Quick shot (L1+R1), it's a desperation move I guess? Seems to do more damage and you don't have to aim, but it takes up a block of stamina and has a longer recovery time than just shooting. It's a nice feature though I didn't have much use for it myself other than badassery.

It's really useful against the infected dogs, and since it's a one-hit stumble, it lets you follow up immediately with a melee finisher.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Meant more like "Ha I have health capsules wait poo poo where is all of my health???"

I got the defense up upgrade and that didn't seem to do much so meh.

My 360 just red-ringed, so I can't check for myself, but doesn't the Defense skill apply specifically to firearms attacks?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Lasher posted:

edit: What dictates you smashing a zombies head against a wall? I've only done it once, but it was against a waist high spiked fence so I couldn't be happier.

Using a melee attack on a stunned/stumbled zombie while it and you are close enough to a wall.

Melee basically has two "tiers"; a zombie that's just standing there will eat a gun check or roundhouse kick, but a zombie that's off-balance or stumbling forward is open to an attack that might kill it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Steady Hand's a good one, particularly in Leon and Jake's games when you use pistols a lot more.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I got a lot out of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDmU38cOzYU

I managed to get around 120,000 in Mercenaries by ignoring most of the new features except Quick Shot, but the use of the dive, slide, prone shooting, and sprint in this have me interested in trying things over again.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm really not seeing the worse controls at all. Admittedly I started with Jake's campaign but other than switching the crosshairs to lasers and adjusting the aim/camera speed a bit, I haven't had much in the way of problems.

That said I'm not exactly thrilled by the game either. It's in no way a 4/10 unless the other campaigns are way way worse than Jake's, but it's obssessed with setpieces so far. I don't think I've had an actual moment where I'm just shooting things. as opposed to running away from unstoppable monsters or explosions or exploding monsters or fighting gimmick bosses. There has't been much in the way of downtime and it really could use some.

That's kind of Jake's campaign in a nutshell, though. I don't think there's any "just shooting things" for a protracted period in his game until Chapter 3.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Bovineicide posted:

I'm not expecting to get this for another couple of days, but did they bring back crimson heads? If so, then

Sort of. They're called "Bloodshots." They sometimes spawn out of zombies starting at the end of Leon's first chapter, and they're a pain in the rear end. You can counter their lunges for a one-hit kill, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I really struggled on that stage for the longest time, and I still maxed out around maybe 90 dead enemies. Excellent work.