Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Cardiovorax posted:

Fatal Frame is sadly a pretty mediocre series with only one or two stand-out titles that I would recommend to people without reservations. It also has the problem that every game except for the original trilogy basically appeared on a different console each, so nobody can really be recommended more than one of it unless they have a long-standing habit of hoarding consoles.

Nah. The first two games are classics, the third was a stretch, and everything after that has been an increasingly weak attempt to milk a series that was self-evidently over.

It does have an issue with inconsistent access, though. There aren't many other series that pinball between platforms as often as Fatal Frame does, and it's got a different name in every territory. (UK goons: he's talking about Project Zero.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

*Capcom USA's Marketing Department, circa 2001*

No, that's a magazine ad for the PAL version; it's the PAL cover of CVX and it says "Capcom Europe" in the corner.

British magazines in the early 2000s were a super trip and a half, man.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

At this point, I'd only trust any developer with Silent Hill if the director of the project was willing to write an 800-word essay on Silent Hill 2, why it was effective, and what its storyline actually was.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How the gently caress is combat data actually worth anything? Are there hidden cameras everywhere? Who uses this poo poo outside of Umbrella or it's many proxies?

It's one of the things they had to backfill later on as the series progressed. Umbrella seemed to be only vaguely interested in adapting its various projects to combat applications, but a few of the later games established that there was a mature black market for bioweapons and that the competition therein was literally cutthroat.

It's easy to forget since most of them get merked without ever seeing on-screen action, but most of the STARS are military veterans with combat experience. Watching them get mulched by some of the accidental bullshit on the first floor of the mansion would go a long way towards punching up the resale value on the bigger, more deliberate bioweapons.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What even is the selling-point of Code Veronica?

At the time it came out, "it is a Resident Evil game" was self-evidently enough, which is fortunate, because it's all Capcom seemed to be capable of making for a while.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

I think you might need to explain to us what you mean when you say "faithful," because they're very clearly and very visibly different games that diverge from each other quite substantially.

Would you please actually read CharlestheHammer's avatar text and stop feeding him?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

RE5 and 6 are both pretty dire solo games, though 5 is better than 6 in that regard.

As co-op games, RE5 is one of the best of its generation and 6 has some real high highs and super low lows.

RealFoxy posted:

5 is very good with coop and I'm playing it for the sixth or seventh time with a new friend who's never played Resident Evil, it's a blast. People are absolutely right about the solo player AI partner though, the only time it's ever useful in the entire game is an on the rails shooting segment where it has nearly 100% accuracy and is killing enemies the second they spawn (It's also much easier to kill the boss with the AI in harder difficulties)

Yeah, I didn't notice the snipers in the swamp level of RE5 until my second time through, because AI Sheva was killing them all as soon as they were in range. I remember wondering what the hell she was shooting at.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Calling any route in the early RE games "canon" is probably a bit of a misnomer because the canon outcome of the games tends to involve things that are can't be true in either of the game scenarios at the same time. People say that Claire A/Leon B is canon because Sherry got infected, which only happens in Claire A, but in Resident Evil 1 you get a canon outcome that no ending which is actually in the game would fit into.

That's only true of the first game. There are distinctly canon endings for RE2 and RE3; for the former, it's Claire A/Leon B, and for the latter, it's the version where Nicolai survives.

Max Wilco posted:

This run...I dunno. I felt like it was a lot harder than the Leon A run, but maybe the B run is always harder.

No, there's some math under the hood that genuinely makes Claire B the hardest default scenario in the game. She has slightly less health, a distinctly worse arsenal, and doesn't get the free 100% heal from Ada in the sewers. While the bowgun isn't quite as bad as a lot of people make it out to be, you still don't lose out on anything to speak of if you simply never pick it up. On paper, Claire's specialized grenade rounds ought to give her an edge over Leon's raw type-less damage output, but it doesn't count for as much as you might think, particularly when you're trying to get your overall time down.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

For the first half of CV, you get a lot more crossbow bolts than you get powder for them, so it can be useful to use up the weak normal bolts on killing lone inconvenient zombies in high-traffic areas. The knife is useful for killing grounded enemies, and it is really good, but it's finicky enough that it's not worth keeping around on a blind first run.

rabidsquid posted:

i think revelations 2 feels a lot more like a classic RE game personally, it's highly underrated. also unless i am forgetting something unimportant story wise the games have absolutely nothing in common

There's a twist in Episode 3 of Revelations 2 that won't make any real sense at all if you haven't played Revelations, but it's nothing you couldn't get from a plot summary

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Convex posted:

Playing RE3 (original) Mercenaries at the moment and trying to unlock all the infinite weapons. Anyone got any tips for maximising points without too much effort please? I can get about 1,100 per run at the moment but tend to run out of time trying to rescue all the civilians.

There's a real stupid infinite points trick if you can get most of the way through the map. There's a hallway near the warehouse (I want to say it's where Jill has to burn the rope off the door with the lighter in the main game?) that's occupied by a pack of dogs, but has a stack of pallets you can climb on top of. They can't hit you, but you can stay up there and mash dodge for free evasions, which adds time to the clock and points to your final score.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Convex posted:

Just finished Code Veronica for the first time and wow, the ending of that game is not paid off by the start of RE4 whatsoever. It's like a 'Umbrella died on the way back to its home planet' level plot twist

Yeah, the main writer on RE, Noboru Sugimura, died in 2005. Nobody's ever disclosed his cause of death that I'm aware of, but finding that out made the rudderless nature of the story make a little more sense to me.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

Real talk though, I donít know anything about the source credibility but that list reads as some real wish fulfillment. Also, the idea that three iterations of a Street Fighter entry could be plotted years in advance like that seems kind of impossible. Obviously thereís some forecasting that needs to be done but two update installments?

The list is Capcom's plan, not a definite schedule. Nothing on it should be taken as gospel, especially now that it's loose in the world.

It's probably safe to assume that at any given time behind the scenes, they've got all sorts of early prototypes, test phases, and designs going on, particularly now that they're trying to do more things in house again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Night10194 posted:

It was Spencer's thing but he's the one who picked from cabals of like-minded idiots like the Ashfords to run his company. He and a past Ashford together discovered the crazy magic king-flower in Africa. The past Ashford, being an Ashford, immediately went 'it makes superior people into ultra-kings!? Excellent, let me eat this and-' exploded from super-cancer. Oh, Ashfords.

Unless there's been a fairly significant retcon that I'm unaware of, that's not how it went.