Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Himuro posted:

My friend thinks the fear is just creating a mental block when I play it. :shrug:

I had a similar issue with RE7. I can't tell you how many times I started the game and played right up until the part where you first run into Jack and his shovel in the hallway, only to promptly quit.

Ultimately I solved it by just running straight at him and letting him beat the poo poo out of me until I died, just to see how bad it could be. After that? Totally fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
An RE4 remake would be such an insanely difficult needle to thread. I want to see it, but I also don't.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
gently caress, this game's so good. I was worried the controls wouldn't work for me—that headshots would be tough to pull off—but it's buttery smooth. Whole thing is intensely atmospheric. This is exactly the game I've been waiting for since the REmake, and I couldn't be happier.

Also, there are a few different ways to cheat the timer flying around. I dunno if it's kosher to go too far into it here (I'm happy to elaborate), but the method I used worked like a charm.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I'm really curious about how fixed camera is even going to work.

Like, how will they handle aiming? Will it be like the original, where you can lock on? I can picture the movement controls being exactly the same, but combat has to change immensely.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Andrigaar posted:

No key from Gamebillet yet. Will update between sobs.

Saaaame. Can't say I'm getting nervous or anything, but it'll be a real bummer if I can't play this until sometime during the day on Friday.

Still plenty of time for them to send 'em out, though.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Kibayasu posted:

We don’t know how interconnected anything is though? Reviews haven’t been specific enough (or at least the ones I saw) to know how anything beyond there actually being A and B.

Wanderer reviewed it and is claiming very little interaction.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Aces High posted:

what the gently caress is the point of a pre-load if the game isn't ready to play at launch

Totally expected to have to wait a bit because of how similar launches have gone before, but basically this

I mean whatever I've waited more than a decade for this game I can hang another few minutes

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Wanderer posted:

...you know, he does end up crashing that bike, but he does it on purpose. Maybe motorcycles are immune to the Kennedy Crash Curse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoUaJFH252w

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Wanderer posted:

the Raccoon City outbreak was one guy's fault as of the RE2 remake (the soldier who overreacted and shot Birkin

Maybe I just suck and totally misjudged what I saw, but didn't Birkin rather rapidly draw a weapon? I thought that's what I saw, and it struck me as weird that the guy who shot him was poo poo on so hard for it.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Danielle Riendeau is generally pretty good on videos and podcasts but her written takes can vary from sensible to buck wild

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

DLC Inc posted:

RE1 had ridiculous poo poo in it like "Jill Valentine is ex-Delta Forces at age 23" or some poo poo which is impossible so a lot of the main characters were extremely young to begin with.

To quote a guide I believe was written by someone in this very thread:

quote:

The Resident Evil tradition of characters being far too young to have the skills they're supposed to possess continues. Chris is ex-Air Force *and* an ex-cop at 25; Jill is a munitions expert, classical pianist, chemist, gunsmith, mechanic, ex-cop, ex-Delta Force, *and* the god drat Master of Unlocking at 23; Claire is a demolitions expert, burglar, motorcyclist, locksmith, and a student of the John Woo school of physically impossible gunfighting at 19; Rebecca is supposed to be a trained medic and a member of an elite police unit at 18; and Steve is a crack pilot, gunman, and can operate seemingly any kind of heavy machinery at the tender age of 17. Sherry must have been hiding her *true* power.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

There's a 1gb update but Steam is just refusing to actually download it. I wanna play dang it. :(

Not entirely sure what this update actually did, but I did notice the game was running much more smoothly for me this morning, following the install.

Also: My forever-terrified rear end is working on a Hardcore S+ run right now, and it's taking years off my life. I just made it to save number one, right before the first Birkin fight. Nothing was particularly hard, I guess, but man was it ever tense.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
They announced that poo poo literally the day after I finally got my Hardcore S+ with Claire.

Whatever, I immediately restarted the game in Standard and ran through it in an hour forty wrecking all manner of poo poo with the minigun I'd just earned and it was the most rewarding gaming experience I've had in a long time. If I weren't anywhere near the Claire S+ right now, I'd absolutely be buying that DLC.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Yeah, as frustrating as that experience was, it definitely made me view and play the game much differently. By far, the hardest part of a Hardcore S+ is the lack of saves. Even in its hardest mode the game throws way more ammo and health at you than you need, and gives you ample opportunity to avoid a lot of confrontation (for example: as has been said a bunch now, you literally don't need to fight a single licker). It's extremely well tuned.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
'Awkward outlier' is a very good way to describe Code Veronica. There's definitely an interesting and very good game somewhere in there, but a mix of excessive backtracking, bizarre story, and a few horrendous characters just snuffed it.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I mean, it's also not like they can just snap their fingers and have another game ready to go. They did something wildly different with both RE7 and the RE2make, and following up on either of them with something meaningful that avoids dropping them into the same sort of rut they just crawled out of takes time.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
If you have a spare flashbang, it's as good as a hard reset for a licker. Just don't run after you've thrown it and they'll never know where you went.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Yeah, moving those shelves as much as possible the first time you come across them was a big part of early hardcore runs. That way you're only nudging them once when you're being chased by Mr. X.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Yeah, sorry, should have been more specific: As far as I'm aware, there's no reason to abandon that aspect of a typical hardcore run. It makes life so, so much easier.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Wanderer posted:

If RE6 wasn't part of one of the most popular franchises on this cursed earth, starring several of the franchise's most popular protagonists, it would've been memory-holed so hard by now. But because it's got the RE name on its cover, people actually go back to it every so often and have gotten very good at wringing the fun out of its most secret crevices.

This is painfully accurate. RE6 had moments of real fun, but good lord was it a loving slog getting between 'em. I finally gave up toward the end of Jake's story after rolling through Leon and Chris.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Shoot the zombies more, or use a flashbang to zip through that room. One flashbang gives you just enough time to grab the item and bolt to the hole in the corner that leads to the safe room.

Edit: Also, once you get comfortable with a route in the sewers and lab, those sections are way more fun. For a bit I was kinda in the same mindframe you're in now, where the game was basically the police station and then [a bunch of meh stuff]. Learning the strategies for those back sections improved my opinion of them dramatically.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Yeah, maybe the single nicest thing I can say about the sewers is you can blow right through them in like fifteen minutes once you know what you're doing and where to go. It's not awful, but it's definitely a harsh contrast to how insanely wonderful the RCPD is.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
You can definitely make it through without actually taking many enemies out in the sewers, but it's way, way easier to just kneecap (until dismemberment) or permanently put down a number of the ones you do come across. It helps to have a route that doesn't make you backtrack too much, as well.

v- And yeah, honestly ... the game gives you tons of ammo. If you aren't just firing away willy nilly, you should have plenty to take out every zombie you need to take out and then some. There's really no need to be so conservative.

Like, if that's the challenge you want to set for yourself, that's totally fine, but if it's actively hindering your enjoyment of the game, that's not on the game.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 5, 2019

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Omi no Kami posted:

...huh, there's nothing worthwhile deeper in? It looked like there was a whole mini-complex to the east of the workroom, so I figured I had to run through the entire thing.

There are definitely some items that might be helpful, but nothing at all necessary unless you're being a completionist. And if you are being a completionist, you gotta get to shootin'.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Deeply looking forward to purchasing the RE3 remake and being unable to play it for a week out of sheer cowardice, like what happened with RE2

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Really, while you do have something of a point, I don't think I can imagine any full-on deaf folks wanting to play a series of games where you're frequently listening out for monsters that may be lurking around blind corners anyway. Definitely not RE3 for that matter, where a growly "S.T.A.R.S...." or a door suddenly slamming shut off-screen is your only warning before a 10ft nightmare rushes into view and punches your head off. You'd snap the loving disc in half.

Counterpoint: Accessibility is invariably a good thing. Like, I get what you're saying, but we've reached a point where games can still be every bit as atmospheric and challenging without also creating a puzzle that's inherently impossible (without a guide, obviously) for a segment of the population.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
That makes the RE3 remake sound cool as hell and I hope even a fraction of it is accurate

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Wasn't RE6 like thirty hours, or did I just really suck at it

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I can't imagine a CV remake. The first three are absolute classics, and after the REmake people were screaming bloody murder for 2 and 3 to get the same treatment (more 2 than 3, but still). Haven't seen any of the same clamoring for CV. Game just doesn't have the same enthusiasm behind it.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
RE3 is the piece of the original trilogy I played but remember next to nothing from, so I am super enthused to walk into that remake fresh. I remember saying of folks who'd never played the original RE2 that I was jealous of what they were walking into for the very first time with the remake, and now I basically get to be on the other side of that. So that's gonna be awesome. Definitely taking that Friday off.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

texting my ex posted:

I suppose I'm mostly annoyed about the change of pace. The game was slow and cumbersome, and in an instant became something fast and frantic

If you can plot a route out, you're hardly dealing with Mr. X at all for the RPD romp. It's surprisingly easy. He'll still crop up a few times (regardless of where he is in the building, he's scripted to come through the door when you pick up a certain item, etc.), but can be easily avoided when he does. His presence is imposing, for sure, but it's largely just that. Any actual threat he poses is reliant upon you poking around in areas you don't need to be poking around in, or spending more time in the RPD than is necessary.

Should also be noted that if you're the slow and meticulous exploring type, you'll have the chance to come back to the RPD a little later—and Mr. X won't be there at all. You can go through the entirety of the building and clean out or finish up everything without having to worry about him.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Mr. X is designed to induce panic, and panicking is the absolute worst thing you can do when he's in the mix. If you know where you're going and what you need to do, have a route, and stick to it, he's mostly harmless. Still dangerous, but relatively easy to avoid. Doing early speedruns in hardcore definitely made me look at him differently.

gently caress that appearance in the records room, though. Good gravy.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Amppelix posted:

I still think "if the game controlling differently removes an aspect of it that means it was bad to begin with" is a ridiculous take that ignores how game design works

And you're totally right, IMO. If a horror game is designed around a specific control scheme and intentionally uses said control scheme's inherent clunk to help raise the game's difficulty and tension, that the tension relies in part upon the control scheme doesn't mean the designers have failed to make a good horror game.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I spent a while being too scared of Jack to even make it past the first few hallways. Eventually I decided the best way to handle it was run straight at him and see what would happen. When his attacks turned out to not be so bad (and his reaction to my standing right in front of him basically asking to get killed was not swift and horrifying), the fear totally dropped away and I was able to play the whole thing as a proper game. It's a lot of very stupid fun, and well worth digging into.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
If you're bashing your head against the sewers (or just straight-up stopped playing because of them), it's really worth it to check out a speedrun or walkthrough. Once you know where to go, the sewers are a 15-minute thing—and while nothing in the rest of the game will match the glory of the police station, the lab is pretty drat fun.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

In Training posted:

Congrats! Agreed on Birkin 1, I think most S+ attempts for me end at Birkin 1 or to Mr. X + Licker problems on the RPD revisit. Although one time I got killed by the plant grab at full health bc I dropped off my stun grenades at an item box and I was very upset

The first Birkin fight for an S+ run becomes a matter of trial and error if you use your first save in that room under the statue. It should be something like 25 minutes in. Can't even tell you how many times I had to try that poo poo.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Rolling through RE2 with the minigun was one of the most satisfying things I've ever done in thirty years of playing video games

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I don't hate RE6 for trying something different, I hate it for being a bad game. I'm too far removed from it to remember my specific complaints at this point, but I played through the entirety of Leon and Chris's campaigns and most of Jake's before I finally just gave up on having any fun with the thing. I really wanted to enjoy it. Game felt like a slog.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I had RE3 pre-ordered, then canceled that to pick up Animal Crossing based on what I was hearing (and the demo that ... wasn't really all that fun). I don't regret that choice, but will definitely be picking this up whenever it goes on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

NikkolasKing posted:

This game came out super frickin' fast.

Is it actually good and complete?

It was in development for about as long as the RE2make