Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

NikkolasKing posted:

Capcom Sales Figures, including RE titles obviously
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

RE4 is surprisingly low. I keep forgetting that for all its revolutionary impact on gaming and beloved status, it has never been the top dog in terms of sales in the franchise.

Original RE1 being so high is interesting though. I thought for a second they were just adding up all the sales from all the crazy number of ports and whatnot but nope, just PS1 and only the original PS1 game at that. But seriously, if you add up every version of RE1's sales, I think it be #1.

That and REZero selling over a million copies (thus being a success, according to this) makes me feel vindicated in those two being the only RE games I care about anymore.

I'm more surprised at at the games REmake outsold, yet it was considered a failure while the others have seen re-releases or sequels.

But honestly, I dunno how anyone (Capcom included) could expect an RE title to sell millions of copies as an exclusive title on a system marketed to kids and families, when the other two systems on sale at the time were marketed towards the gamers in RE's age range, one of which (the PS2) had a market base 4 times as large as the GameCube and assumedly the player base built up from the previous games. What did people seriously think would happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mogomra posted:

If it was truly meant to be X-Files-esq, there would be a subplot implying that the people behind Umbrella were aliens or something. But there would never be any confirmation of anything ever.

Nah. It'd be that Wesker and Birkin were secretly working on a vaccine to protect people from Spencer's world domination scheme.

Unless the show is based around the BSAA, I don't see how an investigation theme would work; even then I don't have high hopes. It'll suck.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

John Luebke posted:

REmake HD trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjxFtFwY6jk

Looks fine to me, but the framerate seems a bit iffy. Could just be the video though.

Maybe it's because I used Dolphin on my computer, but having gone through REmake recently I have to say I can't tell a difference between the trailer and the game I just played.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lamprey Cannon posted:

A+ photobomb, Claire.
I don't have the game yet, so I don't know whether is from story progression or not but drat Claire looks like poo poo in this picture. Does this game take place before or after the cgi movie she's in( and yes i understand shed look different just from the CGI but you know what i mean).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

RoanHorse posted:

All I know is that steam forum members keep calling her a hag, whore, and slut out of loving nowhere.

It's like they've never seen a middle-aged women in their lifetimes.
lol! No i mean she looks like she just came out of a meth binge, with the grey skin tone, dark bags under the eyes, dirty and bruised. For her sake, I hope this is at least midway through the episode.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ImpAtom posted:

Well, uh, she was kidnapped and thrown in a dirty cell on a prison island filled with monsters.
When has that stopped other characters from looking immaculate in every other RE game?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mischitary posted:

I'm not so sure that past RE games are a very good measure of what's gonna be in future RE games.
Why not?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wow, those are indeed some butt hugging shorts.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
After loving with Dolphin for far too long trying to get it to work, I finally broke down and got the HD edition of RE4 and holy poo poo does it look a lot better and play a lot better than it did on the Wii. Can't wait to pick up REmake HD now...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
was gifted REmake hd a couple days ago, so im giving that another playthrough and the upscale mod makes it look real pretty

havent played on og re game in a while though, gonna have to get used to tank controls + static camera angles again

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Going back from remake 2 to remake 1, I realize one of the best lowkey additions was adding key icons to locked doors on the map so you can see which places you need to backtrack to and I wish some intrepid modder would add that to remake 1

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
but i need my re4 ultimate 4k edition

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lol a 20gb mod thats less than half way through that's taken 5 years to get this far. I'd rather capcom did a remake

I appreciate their hustle though, that's dedication

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
gah, ill eat this one. for some reason i was remembering re4 as having many more chapters

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
just give me the same exact game only with 2020 re engine graphics and controls, and for whatever reason re4uhd hates my computer to the point i had to literally use a third party injection app to get the thing to even boot so if i could skip that for the remake that would be cool too

also someone up thread suggested more wrestling moves, that would be fun. actually, giving you the option to suplex from the start is a must as well

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Inspector Gesicht posted:

REmake: Questions for normal mode on PC. I am consulting the Evil Resource. Had a previous run that was up to the red lad in the crypt.

I know you shouldn't waste any fuel on Zombies in one-and-done rooms but what about after the mansion? What zombies never revive or despawn?

How long are other levels compared to the first mansion visit and is there any need to backtrack to them?

Why is Chris so lame? He can barely hold any items and he has no distinguishing characteristics whatsoever. People bring up that boulder incident because it's his only distinguishing moment besides his doomed bromance.

i just rallied through REmake a few times this weekend. i would say use the fuel in spots where youre gonna be doing a lot of backtracking like the two save room stairwell areas in both wings if youre not up to dodging zombies (i sure wasnt), the hallway that leads to the richard room and knight puzzle also sees a lot of backtracking. iirc no zombie actually becomes a crimson head until the first one in the hall where you get the arrowhead wakes up. most of the zombies will eventually be replaced by hunters anyways so if you can avoid it just dont even bother killing them in the first place. after that is the plant 42 cabin which does have some zombies in very close quarters but there is a fuel resupply in the save room. after that is the tunnels and labs, the tunnels are full of hunters and the labs are a mix of zombies (which do change to CH quickly if you dont headshot em) and the monkey with claws things which name escapes me right now

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
resintalled re4 pc and man i dunno what yall are talking about this games plays like rear end compared to remake 2 (and presumably 3). just clunky as hell in 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i would rather have a re4 remake and a new game where you finish umbrella instead of for some reason??? making a whole new game and erasing re4??? that seems kinda dumb. re4 takes place after umbrella """dies""" so i dont know why you would need to take it out of canon

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ngl I'm now lolling at the idea of some up and comer at a design meeting at capcom with the pitch of "you know how re4 is probably the most well liked entry in the franchise? What if we took the name and made a completely different game and pretend that the original doesn't exist" and getting fired on the spot

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Anyway, if you want an RE game where Umbrella is taken down, I think the most appropriate thing would be to really expand the RE universe into new gameplay: Third person lawyer action. A thousand times as many files, but no combat. There's also interviews with Raccoon City survivors, as well as their final testimony in the Senate.

sounds like a phoenix wright crossover waiting to happen

my hot take is that umbrella chronicles is actually a good game (darkside not so much), tho i suppose it might be hard to play nowadays since its only on wii or ps3 if you have a move

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i found the shaky cam combined with the lovely motion blur it added to be somewhat headache inducing thats why i dont like it as much

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Finished Jill on Easy. Couldn't really do Normal because combat and inventory management in a fixed-camera game is too much of a pain. I had to beat RE7 on Easy as well because first-person melee blows chunks.

While the game never diminishes in quality it definitely peaks in the first mansion visit. Leaving the mansion at the 40% mark felt like stepping off the Von Braun or sinking a putter into Andrew Ryan's skull. Another game could advance formula by having two major hubs. The Evil Within 2 hit the mark by having a sandbox level you visit once at the start, and another you visit twice at the middle and end.

The most aged facet of game-design is the tiny inventory. You can have 6-8 inventory slots and you'll likely be handling over 80 key items to progress, as well as packing a gun and a healing item. I think it's better to just have the tension of limited resources without the insanity of a tiny herb having the same weight as a heavy battery. I never would have bothered with REmake 2 if you couldn't upgrade your inventory.

It's funny, your note about stuff changing after mansion 1 cuz all the Lisa Trevor stuff was added for the remake, and I remember people at the time of release liked that it added more to what was a very short game

But yeah your first time through when you don't know the mansion layout and you don't know what items you need when inventory management in a pain.

The game really wants you to play multiple times and learn what the sequence is and then all of a sudden you're actually not only holding everything you need, but you know what stuff you don't even need to pick up at all and you're holding items for stuff 15 minutes down the line cuz you have an extra slot available just to save yourself from wasting a minute hitting up an item box.

site fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 14, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Wanderer posted:

What's going to be a little disappointing is if they opt to make RE4 into a speedrunner-friendly four-hour experience, rather than a 20-hour ride.

think thats already happened

Bonaventure posted:

Christ I wish Nintendo would remake Super Mario Bros and get rid of Mario’s momentum and inertia-based movement. Megaman gives the player much finer control over their avatar’s midair trajectory and it’s frankly painful to go back and play games that came out before it

this is just flat out baffling to me given that re has only ever been defined by how you control a character in og 1-3 and since then has either changed or iterated on its control schemes in every game from 4 on

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Wanderer posted:

Oh, you can certainly do it, but you aren't particularly rewarded for it. It's not like the games before it where your ranking at the end of the game was partially determined by your clear time.

yeah instead you have to five star every character in mercenaries to get the magnum

at least you get the chicago typewriter fairly easily tho

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
uhh broken butterfly???

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if you change enemy attack patterns so they dont run up to 4 feet in front of your face and then stop and do nothing for 10 seconds so you can aim then the game is completely ruined

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

blackguy32 posted:

People have already explained how the new games have been changed to make up for the updates to the controls.

If you want an example of how modernizing a game without changing things can mess with the difficulty, look at Twin Snakes. Also, Mario was remade and some of the physics were changed.

i know im not disputing that mechanics would have to be tweaked, i just find the notion that it would somehow ruin the game hilarious considering how remake 2 and 3 are received and pretty much all 3rd person shooters somehow have managed to move on from how re4 did it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
rebecca ran into wesker down in the labs when he was on his way out of the mansion and he helped her escape while barry, jill, and chris went out to the helipad

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
they say the ghost of rebecca chambers haunts the spencer mansion to this day...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i too remember the slow dread of pulling off multiple explosive headshots with the red 9+stock at a time and using my 60 round shotgun to kneecap guys before suplexing them

truly never has there been a scarier game

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

blackguy32 posted:

But I mean, you can actually see this play out in the RE1 Remake remaster where they removed the tank controls. But I see where you are coming from.

yeah, once you get over the jankiness, its hard to go back to the tank controls in remake 1 remaster. except for the one spot in the labs where you have to walk with the fuel canister theres no reason to use the og controls (btw the og controls arent removed, you can choose to use them in the options)

site fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 19, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the chronicles games were all about filling in continuity gaps throughout the various games so yeah id say so

of course that was up until remakes 2 and 3 where they started throwing everything out the window again so maybe not so much anymore

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

man nurse posted:

Yeah the chronicles games were badass. Lots of new lore bits for continuity geeks like me, and really cool tours through various RE locales and campaigns. Lots of replay value with unlockables, files hidden in the destructible environment, weapon upgrades, etc. The pacing was more slow and methodical than an arcade shooter. Much more focus on maintaining your health and ammo and focusing on critical spots on enemies.

I'd happily play through those games again on a modern platform.

yeah same, i still have my ps3 and move i just cant be bothered to hook it up and poo poo to play that one game lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wesker has red eyes and super speed, teleport craziness, and can do poo poo like get stabbed through the chest by a tyrant without dying. Obviously a vampire

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
rebecca shows up to be a damsel in distress in the cg movie re: vendetta, which takes place just before 7. she quit stars shortly after 1 and became a professor working on cures for the various viruses umbrella shits out

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Wanderer posted:

If the stage play is canon,

the what now???

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Anonymous Robot posted:

What, you’ve never heard of the canon Japan-only Biohazard stage drama?

i can honestly say this is news to me

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
my god, its full of S.T.A.R.S.

lol that dance number

e: that was amazing

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
on easy you could probably get away with shooting all the zombies, but id focus on learning to dodge those grabs while they arent doing much damage, esp if youre using the new controls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh yeah thats a good point, even on easy the game doesnt give you nearly enough kerosene to burn every corpse