Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Excels posted:

You know what was a pretty okay game?

That Turok reboot they released a few years back.

That game was killed for me because they used "generic stock monster" sound effect for the T-loving-Rex. If the T-Rex sounded more like in Jurassic Park I would reconsider my stance on this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I loved the gently caress out of Resident Evil 2. The A-B B-A scenario system was like 4 games in one! And then Hunk. And then cool little secrets like the costumes and rewards for finishing it under a certain time limit. I got a shitload of replayability out of that game.

I never unlocked Tofu though

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I would love to suplex one of those giant lickers.

Also I don't care which of these fan projects finishes updating Resident Evil 2, I am so loving on board when it gets released.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I always thought Leon A/Claire B was the canon story. Shows what I know.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Code Veronica was loving sweet. If your jaw didn't stay open the entire time that Chris and Wesker were fighting you have no soul. Personally I would have loved to see more games in the 'traditional' style. I really enjoyed the whole "Dark Souls" approach of kinda just tossing you in the deep end and letting you figure it out in a semi-open environment. The linear set-piece to set-piece nature of the later games was lackluster in comparison.

I mean, who among us didn't die to the dogs jumping through the window at the beginning of RE1. RE2 throws you immediately into the fray and I can all but guarantee you the first thing every player did was die to the first zombies. RE3 begins with you leaping away from an explosion and immediately fighting zombies with no explanation or tutorial.

I miss it, is all.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 1, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Glorified expansion pack? You're nuts! Other than the fact that you only played as one character for the vast majority of the game, I don't think there was anything lacking in Nemesis. It even had branching paths in the story! And one of the greatest bad guys of all time in Nemesis. Nemesis makes the Terminator look like a pile of rusty bolts. If you put the Terminator through what Nemesis had to endure in 3, eventually the Terminator would get upset and just say "gently caress this, this is just too much", but not Nemesis. He never, ever stops coming. Ever. And you can't kill him, no matter what. Even now, he is rearranging his particles in the air surrounding the crater of Raccoon City. Once the fallout dissipates he will finally be able to will his cells to re-form and then he can resume going after the rest of the S.T.A.R.S. members.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Nemesis turning out to have a heart of gold in the movies was just proof that nobody involved in the movies creation really played the games

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I basically just want Dark Souls: Raccoon City

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I guess the dumb thing about Resident Evil Zero was that up until that point, the outbreak was a bit of a mystery. Then Zero came and said hey, turns out the leech guy did it the whole time. And then it retcons William Birkin and Wesker to be like, secret best friends. Then nothing in that game is ever referenced again. Other than that, I loved Resident Evil Zero.

If they ever remake Resident Evil 2, I hope they add in Wesker just because.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

blackguy32 posted:

In Code Veronica X, Chris literally tells Wesker, "Next time."

I like Resident Evil because in any other game I would roll my eyes at how lame this is, but in Resident Evil I'm all "gently caress YEAH next time!"

All the one-liners trigger my Schwarzenegger Response, which is a made-up term I just created to describe why when one person says a cheesy one-liner it is loving amazing and hilarious, and when someone lame says the same thing, it's stupid.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 18, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The CGI movies really do feel like cutscenes for a game that never was. Plus the CGI is hyper detailed, approaching uncanny valley levels at times. Like, what a real person from an anime would look like. I thought so anyways.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I liked RE5 because I was disappointed in RE4. Not because RE4 was a bad game, but because you could have called it Third Person Spanish Village and called the main character Keon Lennedy, unattach it from Resident Evil as a whole, and nothing else would have to change. Leon in RE4 was nothing at all like his character in RE2. The end of RE2 was "OK, now we're all gonna go team up and go gently caress Umbrella!" and you get all hyped up. Then you play Code Veronica (Which I also loved by the way) and you're still waiting for the big downfall of Umbrella. Then the RE4 opening cutscene plays and says Umbrellas been destroyed, and you can't help but think "gently caress, where was I?"

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I should point out once again that I played the gently caress put of Resident Evil 4 and thought it was awesome. But there was just nothing familiar about it at all.

Alteisen posted:

Also you'll never get remakes of the old games so just put that out of your mind, straight ports maybe and that's massive maybe.

Pretty sure there are actual PC ports of these games. If FF7 can get released on Steam, anything is possible.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hakkesshu posted:

Hell, I'd settle for an HD remake of the REmake, but I doubt that'd be feasible with the pre-rendered environments.

Such an awesome game being stuck in SD, 4:3 hell forever is a real bummer.

The graphics are already insanely good, especially considering its on a Gamecube. Almost certainly the best looking game on the Gamecube and probably in the top 3 for last gen graphics. That and Metal Gear Solid 2/3 were the only games of last gen that really super impressed me with their graphics to the point that it would take years to improve upon.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Return of Rebecca Chambers and Billy Coen?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Barry was a Mercs character, so wouldn't that rule him out?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Castor Poe posted:

Playing as Chris in RE1 is a lot harder than I remembered. How did I put up with that poo poo

Are you playing the Director's Cut? poo poo gets even more real. I don't think I ever beat it with Chris, it was just so loving hard.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I was gonna put a stake through his brain but that zombie already has a stake through his brain. So how do you stop them?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Wanderer posted:

I played a bunch of Evil Within on the E3 show floor and it's got a lot more Silent Hill in its DNA than I was expecting, because it's explicitly a game about supernatural horror with next to none of RE's science-fiction handwaving.

Love me some supernatural horror. I'm one of 48 people that were terrified by F.E.A.R.

edit:
vv Goddamn right I do

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 15, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Rookersh posted:

No idea if 2 is good or not though.

I don't remember much about 2, except that the bad guy actually rapes one of the characters. It doesn't handle it in a great way. He basically does it to establish how evil he is. They could have done without that little tidbit.

If you're one of those guys that thinks the Resident Evil franchise would have been better off if it stuck with tank controls and fixed camera angles, I think you would like the ObsCure games.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 19, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

graboid posted:

I've been catching up with this thread, and I'm glad, because I've now watched those "Thanks" music videos dozens of times, and I laugh like an idiot every single time.

What's this? I'm not putting the right stuff into google.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Of course Cliff would love Resident Evil. He loves any game where the main guy has arms like tree trunks. If only Chris Redfield had a soul patch too...

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Just so long as the rocket launcher always kills everything in one hit.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Wanderer posted:

You only have six bullets, but they're really good bullets.

Especially against living things.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Most of the S.T.A.R.S. members were killed by that one super-zombie before we got to the mansion. But nothing can stand up to Barry Burton.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

It's understated how good REmake really is. It's probably one of the greatest games I've ever played. Everything about it is quality. Plus... the Crimson Heads? Holy gently caress.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Neo Rasa posted:

Dude the first time you blow one of their heads off with the shotgun in that west corridor where the angle has it like you're shooting directly into the camera, it's like the one time in the game where you basically feel like a god. Oh that and "Looks like we got to the ROOT of the problem!"

I think the moment I knew this was something special is when Jill encounters that one cutscene zombie in the bathtub. It's utterly mindblowing that REmake came out in 2002. The graphics are just goddamn amazing. I'm looking at these comparison screenshots and half the time I can't even tell which one is supposed to be the HD one. Sometimes they look switched.

edit: vvv Oh yeah, their art direction managed to take great advantage of SDTVs since HD wasn't really a thing at the time.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 6, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

In honor of the HD REmake, here's an DEmake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eC1hduFbio

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

How can you be loyal to Umbrella? It's like an oxymoron. Every single person working for Umbrella has some sort of hidden agenda against the company, including the people who created Umbrella. If you are loyal to Umbrella, what exactly are you loyal to? Creating hosed up creatures? Because that's the only thing they've ever successfully done.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Didn't Umbrella make a ton of money as a legit pharmaceutical company? Or is it implied that the intent of the company from Day One was to make bioweapons for reasons?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Wanderer posted:

The original point of the company was to fund and house research into the "Spirit of the Sun," which was a strange plant Spencer found in Africa. He had this whole lifelong ambition going on to evolve humanity into his own personal slave species, and thought the Spirit held the key thereof. Spencer and Marcus managed to derive the Progenitor virus from the Spirit, and Marcus used the Progenitor to make the T-Virus. Both viruses had a lot of potential applications, but they were profitable sidelines compared to Spencer's stated purpose.

Trying to find info on this but I'm not having any luck.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

poptart_fairy posted:

I still love that Mr.X was a perfect, marketable bioweapon...who only went crazy in Outbreak because he was absolutely sick of the poo poo he got from the guy holding his suicide detonator.

Suicide detonator? Man I really need to brush up on my RE lore.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

NikkolasKing posted:

The practicality of Umbrella's bio-weapons has been discussed a lot and most people agree they all suck. If you were actually going to war even a Tyrant wouldn't be much use. The only real application for the BOWs is small-scale stuff. Something like Nemesis or Umbrella CHronicles' TALOS would be pretty good there.

Depends on if they have cutscene immunity or not. If the opening scene of Resident Evil 2 is to be believed, an army of cops with machine guns aren't enough to take down a mild swarm of zombies. Meanwhile, one plucky young rookie and his trusty sidearm changes everything...

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Nemesis is one of my all time favorite video game characters. To say Nemesis is relentless is like the most massive understatement ever. He is the most relentless. You have to kill him about 20 times.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

All I know is, when Resident Evil first came out, all everybody ever talked about was the hallway with the dogs bursting through the window.

As a kid, I found the Lickers in Resident Evil 2 to be extremely scary as well. Sometimes you would walk into a room and all you would hear is the low groan they make, followed by the "click click click" of their talons hitting the floor. Mr. X loving blew my mind, I was not at all prepared for him to follow you to different rooms.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 18, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Man, remember when you couldn't just use herbs that were on the ground? Used to be if you didn't have inventory space you were poo poo out of luck

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Blackheart posted:

I was only a teen when I played it but I loved RE3 and replayed it multiple times. Having Nemesis constantly show up to wreck your poo poo is one of my most memorable vidyagames experiences.

Remember that moment at the end where you get to choose to finish off Nemesis or just keep running? Finishing off that fucker was one of the most satisfying videogame experiences I've had. I thought the branching storyline was really cool.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Anonymous Robot posted:

I don't get the people who say Revelations' gameplay was as good as a non-portable game. The enemies don't have any hit reaction unless you shoot them in the arbitrary weak point, the dodge system makes no sense, the weapons were lame (though some of the upgrade effects were cool) and in general it just felt uninspired, like some other company trying to make a RE clone.

I felt the same way. Though I went in expecting a return to older-school RE. Maybe I didn't play it enough (about 30 minutes really) but it felt cheap and small in a way that the older RE's never did.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I don't think Code Veronica's length is really an issue if you take into account that you switch characters. It's just, instead of having two disks and being able to pick, you have to do them in order. To be honest, Code Veronica's length is something I liked about it. By the end you look back and realize, "Man I did a lot of crazy-rear end poo poo"

And if you were playing it on your shiny new Dreamcast it looked beautiful. Perhaps your enjoyment of Code Veronica is related to when you played it.

Hakkesshu posted:

Code Veronica was the point where the series turned full loving anime. I won't say it's great, but it is hilarious and stupid and I love it.

What they did with Wesker was truly amazing. Since he hadn't been featured since RE1, it was like the most glorious of fanservice.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

If you're gonna complain about the nonsensical puzzles in Resident Evil, you're about a decade and a half too late.