Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
jake fisting the world is great, but there are relatively few opportunities to use them early in his campaign. the infinitely respawning guys with guns, then the giant gun-only boss, then the snowy mountain where all the enemies are at long range, then the goddamn stealth section. that section of the game isn't exactly great on its own merits, but it is absolutely dire if you just want to beat jaa'vo to death with your bare hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even if you deliberately avoid picking up a gun it is automatically added to your inventory in the next chapter. the part i least like about re6 is the inventory.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the merchant in 4 was there to give you a reason to poke around and explore. in 6 the only reward for exploration was yet more ammo you couldn't hold because goddamn they give you so much ammo and each ammo type consumed its own inventory slot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i can't blame anyone from being turned off after the slow, uneventful walk through a banquet hall

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the only good skills in re6 are the ones that give you more stamina, aka the fun meter

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've played re4 'optimally' enough times that i always go for the mine launcher now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
much like raccoon city, the only way to be safe is to purify the thread with nuclear fire

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i feel that's an overly generous description of 0

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
rev1's last boss has as much health as most of the other last bosses in the re series combined.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Even then I love Rev2. Sure I love Claire and Barry in the series anyway but even putting that aside Rev2 was amazing. Although Claire's character was somewhat off.

rev2 was claire after a decade of dealing with all this bow poo poo. unlike barry, she was unable to call on the transcendent power of dad jokes to avoid becoming jaded.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
man mountain redfield is in purgatory. the impostor who looks like a human being and not a walking warning against steroid abuse doesn't count.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

fadam posted:

I played RE5 for the first time ever in co-op last week and had a blast. My friend and I started RE6 tonight and it feels really weird.

i'm guessing you started with leon?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the key to enjoying re6 is learning the melee system, which is never explained in-game. it's a more complex version of 5's melee system, in that you mostly stun enemies and follow the on-screen prompts to bust out sick wrestling moves on monsters. the difference from 5 is that your equippable melee weapon can cause those stuns, so you can hit them in melee and follow up with finishers without bothering with guns. there are also counters, but the timing is quite tight and i was never very good with them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

fadam posted:

What's the best way to stun the enemies? The knife?

there's different kinds of stuns that open up different melee finishers. the basic method is to hit them a couple times with melee, then follow the on screen prompt. shooting a guy a couple times and then sliding into them is a good way to do some of the bigger moves. head shots and leg shots are good. there's also stuff to do while they are prone, or you are behind them.

oh, and while i don't remember about all the characters, leon and helena can also burn stamina on quick shots with pistol and shotgun respectively. they are cool auto-targeting attacks which go off very fast. i vaguely remember you can also do quick shot melee? it's been a while.

sadly, while the melee stuff is really good and the sections when you can fight a bunch of enemies are great, there are also a lot of sections in re6 that are just godawful. it's very much a mixed bag.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
agent is the best character in 6 because he can't actually interact with any objects. so if you have to turn a crank or hit a switch, the person playing ada needs to do it. why is this good? because you can spam thumb up emotes while your partner does all that stuff.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the hat draws attention away from every other aspect of his appearance. it's a clever trick.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mr. x was always better in theory than in practice. he showed up in a few scripted encounters and went down really easily. i hope x randomly busts through walls regularly in this like he did all of once in 2.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's really obvious clickbait and you should feel bad if you took it seriously

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

They should make Yoko Taro make Final Fantasy 16 to be honest. What's the worst that could happen?

a final boss battle that is a rhythm game

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
instead of fighting parasitized spaniards, you have to race to the next spot via parkour. sell enough guns to leon, and you can unlock techniques such as running on water, sliding down buildings and the almighty suggestive trench coat gesture.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's too pretty to become a zombie.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the book was complete garbage, and the games ignored pretty much everything in it except the name.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the weird numbering excluded cv from the main series despite it totally being part of the main series in every other respect. however, that also lets them skip it entirely for the real moneymaker- a remake of 4.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they should remake 4 the same way they made 1 and 2. keep the good parts, ditch the bad, add some new poo poo to spice things up and give the combat another pass. oh, and make it look real pretty.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
then they could have just had him wear a tank top and hot pants

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they aren't fun to shoot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't really see the point in penalizing saves.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
having an option to automate qtes like 6 eventually got would be great.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the big feature of nemesis in 3 was that he could go through doors. he didn't actually do so that often, and he wouldn't really chase you too far. now that doors aren't loading screens that ability has lost all of its significance, naturally.

in 2, x's big event was attacking you in a small room, being seemingly killed, and then immediately bursting through a wall when you pass through the corridor outside. it was very neat at the time, but it was still just one of the jump scares the early games relied on.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
bring back meat mountain chris.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i only care about chris when he's beefy enough to punch out an el gigante.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the mp games were also bad. orc, and such.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that was true of every room transition in the original.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if it's good, good. if it's bad, then re4 is still perfectly playable on every system known to man. i don't really see why it's something to get worked up over.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
rev2 is the bizarre outlier re game where the main strength is the writing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
any game where gashadokuro shows up is a good game. everyone loves that guy!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
helena's subplot was hilarious. usually, when someone keeps leon in the dark it either doesn't really affect him or even benefits him in the end. in 6, helena's side trip to the church and improbable funerary catacombs was completely useless. it didn't help with the problem at hand or accomplish much of anything besides killing yet another boss. also, she helped carry out a terrorist attack that killed the president.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
6 had a lot of really good parts and a lot of really bad parts and very little in between.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dunno if sherry's stun rod does less damage than jake's fist of doom, but it sure feels like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the coop aspects of rev2 are very half baked and i vaguely recall that it was originally local only.