Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SolidRed posted:

RE6 was a labour of love. It has loads of references to the old game and my co op partner and I even decided the boss who follows you during the Sherry/Jake campaign is actually Steve from Code Veronica. You even use the Code Veronica bull dozer on him in one section. This made shooting him in the heart even harder.

Why the gently caress would that make it harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The inventory system in RE6 is basically nonexistent. You have all your weapons at once and the most management you have to do is occasionally dropping some ammo to have room for an herb.

I think RE6 is worth $40. That's basically the right price point for it to me honestly.

What if you don't have any interest in the co-op? $40 still fair?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Is the agent forced into your game now, or is its inclusion optional?

If it's the former, then good job wrecking one of the few immersive chapters of the game, Capcom.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I just started RE6. Playing offline, on Veteran difficulty.

Is this ill-advised? Because boy, do the zombies hit me hard. Watching Leon roundhouse-kick the undead in half is as satisfying as ever but I really don't like dealing with co-op.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Playing RE6 in general is ill-advised.

It was Christmastime, the game was $25, and big drops in prices play tricks on my better judgment. I made my bed! And now I am suplexing zombies in it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I've read that, in particular, the endboss of Chris' campaign is almost unbeatable without a co-op player. Is that just sour grapes, or do I need to anticipate a brick wall when I'm playing solo?

It's not that I'm completely deadset against co-op (okay actually I am, it's one form of multiplayer I could never stand), but my Internet connection is spotty as hell on a good day and I really like having a working Pause button.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
That's encouraging.

Also I'd just like to say that the headset flashlights are super nifty and should be adopted in more games, assuming that the bulbs do not grow hot, because that would be really distracting when trying not to get eaten by something.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Are there seriously only 3 non-DLC Mercenaries maps available? Because if so, oh man, I have got to stop buying games from Capcom. This is like the fourth time they've sent me on this merry-go-round.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Helena is Mercenaries is terrible, holy poo poo. Who gives someone three weapons and then only provides ammo for one of them? What is the point?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wanderer posted:

The point is that the other two weapons besides the Picador are hand cannons, the tilt-a-whirl slam kills one zombie and scores a long knockdown on any zombies you hit while Helena's spinning, and Helena's elbow drop is the fastest kill move in the game. If you're not playing Helena like she's a pro wrestler, you're doing it wrong.

Yeah, but that applies to every character. Melee in the morning/evening/suppertime and high explosives when the mobs get too thick. Quick Shot melee when the enemy's packing a melee weapon or is a dog, conventional headshot melee otherwise. Apparently RE5's Mercenaries mixed it up a little? I dunno, never played it.

Helena lacks decent ordinance, which at least puts her way behind Leon (the only other character I've used so far). The Hydra is flipping terrible even if I use Quick Shot to reload and the grenade launcher, at least, isn't too hot against zombies.

I've only gone through Urban Chaos but it felt like a worse map by far than anything in RE4. You run through the side shops to break the crystals and scoop up the items and then do all your fighting in the central area, since the sides are too cramped to duck into. Also the body-armor zombies at around kill 50 spawn on the opposite drat end of the map every time and make me lose my combo and it is just crazy frustrating.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Len posted:

Based on reading posts in other threads I just assume he's bad at games but blames the game for his faults.

To be fair, RE6 is absolutely one of those games where, if you get hosed up, it is probably the game's fault. Oh sure just run me over with an unseen train two or three times, thanks bunches

Is there much of a point to the slide maneuver? Mostly it just seems to rob me of maneuverability for a few seconds.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Krad posted:

For the male characters, it's a better alternative than the shoulder charge, the range for that move sucks. On the other hand, nothing is more satisfying than fly kicking every single thing that moves until your stamina runs out with the female cast. :allears:

Except for Ada. She is just a horrible character all around.

Oh, drat it. Ada was the worst in RE4's Mercenaries too, what's the matter with her this time?

Also this is a minor nitpick but her features are a lot less angular in this game, and that bugs me. Makes her look teenaged.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Krad posted:

Her loadout is the worst. Her handgun takes longer than anyone else's to reload and her alternate gun is the bowgun, aka the most useless weapon in the whole game. Aside from that, her melee attacks also seem to take longer to execute when compared to everyone else's. She is just no Sherry/Helena, really.

And I have no idea how Carla plays but I assume it's the same.

Carla packs Helena's pistol and a grenade launcher with about 20 rounds total scattered across all three types, so I'd say she gets the better deal.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Honestly, I'm glad Wesker is dead. He might have been RE's main villain but he was tedious as hell and even after his passing all people seem to remember of him is his Matrix bullshit and that SATURATION meme.

That still leaves the question of where to take the series, though. RE6 literally nuked cities (in between swimming sections, who the hell greenlit that sequence), so it's hard to escalate much further. The co-op angle doesn't really seem to be paying off, either, which is fine by me, because bluh, co-op.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I kind of hope Capcom keeps up the naming scheme of their enemies. In RE4 it was Spanish because the locale was Notspain, in RE5 it was African because Africa, and in 6 it was Serbian because gently caress you, that's why.

Let's go all-out and pick Icelandic for RE7. I want every enemy title to sound and look like the alphabet sneezed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

Is he cooking soup in a helicopter? :psyduck:

Who's going to tell him not to?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Question about the end of Chris' campaign.

Is it even possible to kill Haos if you're playing as solo Piers? That zap cannon of his doesn't seem to do much against the thing and its cocoon ate a full clip of explosive grenades when I played as Chris. I only ask because if I ever do a Professional run I'd like to see it from the other side.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vakal posted:

Considering its long development time and the number of radically different versions that were scrapped, I'm thinking RE4 was the result of a lot of experimentation and hard work to make what we got.

RE 5 & 6 on the other hand seem more like Capcom going, "We're not going through all that risk and hassle again. We basically know what people like so let's play it safe and crank out these games as quick as we can while the IP is hot."

"Also let's gently caress a bunch of stuff up along the way for no reason, because we are Capcom and we do not finish a day without making at least one stupid decision."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

They're not bad at their jobs but I wouldn't call them right minded. Thems some crazy people.

They don't have brain problems, they have brain solutions.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I don't really see a flaw in that argument.

Seriously. Given the sort of things Gene punched to death in his game, the only way he could possibly fail a BSAA mission would be if he was laughing too hard at the enemies shuffling at him to throw a haymaker now and again.

Or maybe he just tries to exterminate the entire BOW population of China with only the Yes Man Kablaam. He doesn't die, but he needs to clock out about halfway through Shanghai (working alphabetically).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lunethex posted:

Completing the set with Captain Swing's much needed help.

WHO IS YOUR DADDY AND WHAT DOES HE DO

I really hope Jake takes off for future entries. For a new character, he had more personality than the rest of the entire cast combined.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

I like how the Ustanak doesn't struggle once he's in the headlock. Kind of like he's thinking, "Ok, where's he going with this?"

At some point during that fight he probably thought "I should've just given him the loving pistol"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cheston posted:

Question about RE4- in the castle, there's a giant pod thing hanging in the tower where Ashley gets carried off by one of the flying bugs. I assumed it was the flying bugs' nest, because they landed on it when they were wounded. Was that ever explained?

...should I spoiler tag things here? It doesn't seem like I should spoiler tag things here.

Probably not, game's old. Yes, that's their nest. You can blow it up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is there some sort of RE event or announcement on the horizon? It was really weird driving home from work tonight and seeing black military style trucks with UMBRELLA CORPORATION painted on the side next to me.

Consider leaving town for a week or two.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Resident Evil's canon is one of the saddest, stupidest things in gaming so I'm totally onboard with them taking everything in a new direction no matter how it turns out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

by direct relation im pretty sure it means you won't play the scenario in the demo in the full game. it will be another house/small town of houses involving this family. gameplay will still be first person horror like the demo.

Capcom confirmed this, the demo's just a vertical slice.

It also takes place in the RE universe's continuity, after RE6, which is unusual because RE6 ended with at least one entire city getting nuked by zombie gas. A haunted house in the bayou seems kind of trivial in light of that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The Resident Evil series has been all around the map in terms of gameplay and tone (hell, it covered nearly the whole map in the last game alone, to its detriment), so taking a quick jaunt into Wannabe P.T.-ville is pretty in-character.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Spec Ops the Line was a good game salvaged from terrible executive decisions that had some interesting things to say about the nature of choice and consequence. Gamers got really really mad at it because they took the message as an indictment of them, personally.

It was sort of a lightning-in-a-bottle situation, though, so who knows how RE7's script will turn out. It's got a really low bar to clear in any case.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I remember RE6's core gameplay (run and shoot and punch off heads) being pretty satisfying, but holy poo poo was the game reluctant to let you actually enjoy it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Is Outlast any good?

It gets a bad rap, I think. It doesn't do anything very original and likes to scream in your face way too often but it's perfectly serviceable if you're looking for run-and-hide suspense fare.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, probably my biggest complaint with RE6 outside of the lovely Jake snow chapter is that is kind of outstays its welcome and the game would have been better with a more focused single campaign than four 5-6 hour ones, especially as a lot of them have you going through the same stuff from a different perspective.

Jake's campaign was the most frustrating for me because it's packed with more gimmicks than any other character's and so many of them are a mess. The snowmobile, the motorcycle, I remember something in some kind of Chinese palace that ticked me off pretty bad. And the worst part is that Jake and Sherry are the only remotely fun protagonists in the game, personality-wise. Even Leon's all grim and subdued.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lakbay posted:

the first boss is a chainsaw duel with Jack who uses chainsaw scissors

Mm, I saw, I saw.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Eurogamer's reaction to it was fairly reserved and they're the outlet I still trust most, but even they said it was a successful shift in direction for the series.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I'm actually gonna go out and say that RE5's inventory is flat-out better than RE4's.

I'm actually gonna go out and say you're wrong!!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the demo was nicely tense but they should really do something about leon's voice clips during combat, such as eliminate them completely

i'm trying to make the living dead become regular dead here and this guy's muttering "poo poo" like he's got a hangnail

also as someone who has never completed a pre-RE4 entry this inventory system is going to take some getting used to

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ulio posted:

One of the reasons, I quit RE remake is because the combat which I didn't understand how it worked. So you shoot the zombies in the head and they go down but they still don't die? So is it better to shoot them a couple more time when they are down? I lost a bunch of health because of them getting back up. The other question I have is, is the knife useful at all? Other than them being on the ground or the first lunge they do, it doesn't do much.

Also are the puzzles in RE simple? I hate puzzles in games that aren't about puzzles.

aim until the crosshair shrinks, the shot will do more damage. they're still zombies so they don't die easy, but lining up your shots like that will make it take significantly fewer bullets than it would otherwise

generally you're safe when they quit squirming but best not to linger around them too much just in case

i didn't have much use for the knife either, it's probably best used to break out of zombie grabs

RE's puzzles before the action-oriented entries were heavily inventory based. you are going to have a squillion keys and medallions and other assorted doodads needed to open various types of doors and you're going to have to constantly juggle which one of these items you want in your inventory alongside your weapons and recovery items. you'll never have enough room for all of them, hence the storage lockers everywhere. it's an acquired taste

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
dude's got serious zoolander lips

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the main problem with RE6 is that it changes up its gameplay so much and so often that there are bound to be several sections that a player will absolutely despise regardless of how much they like the rest

jake/sherry is probably the biggest offender, that campaign's ADD as hell

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Andrigaar posted:

Which duo had the obnoxious stealth section where you have to distract enemies and hide in the shadows?

rhymes with shake and jerry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there's like a solid half dozen version of re4 out at this point, right

which one is supposed to be the best overall