Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

I'm on board for REm4ke, the original is still an all timer but I'd like a new coat of paint and the controls always take me a couple hours of frustration to get used to; I'm not 100% convinced that carefully modernizing the controls would upend the game that much so it's worth a gamble. And just think how much the contextual finisher move button technology has changed in the last 15 years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

sigher posted:

Don't use the knife. For anything.

What if Krauser shows up

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

rabidsquid posted:

i dont think i would ever use "slow dread" to describe any aspect of RE4

The moment when you mentally calculate just how far you have to jetski with Ashley to get back home

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'd like That Dog to become a main character

edit: I watched a speedrun the other day and the dude skipped saving the dog. I couldn't believe it.

1000% onboard for separate Leon/That Dog paths.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

Bonaventure posted:

I will help you awaken from your world of cliches

[transforms into a giant monster with glowing weak points]

Saddler....YOU'RE a cliche!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

I've revised my REma4ke opinion, I'm still interested in the full remake, but I also just want a re-release that does a little bit to update the input scheme. It has some pretty weird-rear end button decisions compared to the newer game, I'd at least like to bring that more into line even if the overall design stays the same. That's half of what takes me forever to get used to every time I go back to play it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

CuddleCryptid posted:

This is Wind Waker Remastered all over again

RE4 remake but it lets Leon hide stupid drawings and photos for other players to find

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

That playtime is what's holding me off on it until it's at least down to half price. I'll probably be on the slow end going through it but I don't tend to go back and replay most of these games a whole lot.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

Decided to replay RE2make while waiting for a good deal on 3. Still love it, but I'd forgotten how closely it hits my tolerance for repeatedly looping around the police station while incrementally making progress. Fast travel would kinda break the feel of the game, but it sure sounds tempting sometimes with how many times the place I need to be turns out to be approximately as far as possible from where I am at the moment.
How's 3 fare along those lines, is it also a convoluted puzzley design or did they move towards more linearity?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

I can get behind that, I think the convoluted puzzle style has its place but I'm not sure I could handle too many games in a row hingeing on it (especially if I break out RE7 next). I'm generally on board with a linear experience, if it's done well.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

itry posted:

1 minute in...

Edit:

I stopped watching a story ways in because I haven't played through, but that was the exact thought I had

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

I would say being slightly too long is actually RE4's main flaw, it never gets unfun but they start leaning a bit too heavily on "more badguys with more armor" as the main challenge later on.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

I love that statue so much that I don't even mind paying the QTE price to see it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

The Repo Man posted:

It's still a whopping $82 though. Kind of a hard sell during...you know...a pandemic

Sounds like a good opportunity for a Tabletop Simulator conversion or something. RE3: The Videogame (Based On The Hit Boardgame (Based On The Hit Videogame (A Reenvisioning Of The Videogame Classic)))

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

NikkolasKing posted:

As for RE4, the fact thy will almost certainly not get any of the original VAs back bugs me. People got over them replacing Claire very quickly cuz RE2R owns bones but RE4 wouldn't be as good as it was without the great cheesy voicework of Paul Mercier. I'll care even if nobody else does.

Honestly that's the biggest thing that bugs me about remaking it, I wish they'd just use the same script and recordings because they're pretty integral. But then that gets going down the road of "what's the point" because then it'd be pretty close to just a reskin.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

Convex posted:

I don't think a gun attachment would be very comfortable tbh, it plays really well without it though. Also you can use a classic controller or plug in a GC pad if you've got one of the proper Wii models. Real fun is with the wiimote though!

Agreed on all counts. That said,

please remember to provide photo documentation if you attempt it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

codo27 posted:

To be fair its an upgrade on literally every nintendo controller ever made

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

$30 is the price point I'm waiting for after all the discussion on here. I got more money's worth out of RE2make because I'm pretty slow at all the windy area traversal puzzles, but I'm guessing I'll be closer to an average playtime for 3.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

Starting up RE7 to see how it holds up after enjoying RE2make again, it was my second favorite beforehand but I also haven't really replayed it since launch. Interesting how different it feels from the start, I'll be curious to see how the first-person viewpoint fares immediately after really good third-person.
Also I forgot how interesting the whole "find a videotape, then actively play through what's on it" mechanic is. That's a neat conceit and a good way to give you little tidbits of different gameplay.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

codo27 posted:

Yeah its alright if you dont poo poo your pants, gently caress that poo poo man. Why am I, a complete agnostic about everything, get creeped out by imaginary video game and movie poo poo?

There's usually enough of a disconnect while controlling a game that I'm unsettled more than outright scared in stuff like this (although I haven't really gone for any truly SpOoOkY series). I will say though, I'd forgotten how...visceral some of the hand damage you sustain early on is, I don't think a game has ever made me clench so hard. So maybe I'm forgetting some scarier stuff along the way.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

Holy poo poo, apparently I never got caught enough early on in my first playthrough to see Jack hack off my foot, then let me pick it up as an item and smirkily let me have a super heal potion to graft it back on my leg

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Though TBH it feels like a tutorial for a game mechanic that doesn't exist in the main game. Like between the opening and that it felt like "you can lose your limbs" was going to be a thing and they just cut it out.

Oh yeah, I didn't really think about it the first time but with that second scene it absolutely feels like that. I'm not sure how I'd feel about it, it seems like it'd be pretty easy to get it wrong and have it be an annoyance.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

rabidsquid posted:

i thought the video tape concept was kind of interesting the first time and before the game was over became something i never wanted to do ever again, and something i wished was entirely skippable on replays.

I forgot about it enough that I'm not sure whether or not it wore me down over time. I do want to skip the second one, but that's because it switches to a weak character/instafail stealth run, which is something I believe I hate without exception in any game that tries it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

That's insane. It's a shame Ethan's essentially a nobody thanks to the game's presentation, I'm just imagining Leon constantly making dumb wisecracks while sewing his body parts back together, and it's something I really wanna see

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

BiggerBoat posted:

You guys sure the gun wii controller on RE4 isn't worth it because it seems like it would be a natural fit. Use the nunchuck to move and aim with the gun sounds like fun.

It's not from personal experience for me, I never tried one because locking the nunchuck *behind* the wiimote just looked like it'd be an uncomfortable position to deal with permanently. For me, not locking the controls together was a big part of what made motion aiming fun to use.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

Man I'm missing the map improvements from RE2make. Differentiating the cleared rooms and showing a bit more item info would sure help me focus my attempts at getting to the third of three ornate doodads.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

drat...I spent a good 15 minutes split between yesterday and today, running around in the third fight against Jack, just trying to find the last hidden eyeball to trigger his final move. Who knew my own blindness would be the toughest boss I've faced in an RE game.

And of course my instant reward is getting to feel lovely whether I pick to help Zoe or Mia

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

I was hoping playing RE2make and 7 in close order would make one the clear winner. 7 starts off so good, especially as a big change for the franchise, but it kinda goes steadily downhill. I think everything up til you get to Lucas is great, but the Bakers would've been way more interesting without him.

The ship's decent with some neat storytelling ideas, but the gameplay suffers by falling into more backtracking in a less interesting environment, and the lack of monster variety really shows. It's not bad, but a step down.

Then, the mines. It says something that I forgot there was even anything following the ship.

So I dunno, it's probably the early parts of 7 > 2 Remake > 7 overall.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

Beat RE7, no big change in opinion from my earlier assessment. Main thoughts:
1) I forgot you got the Albertgun at the end, it's less of a big deal when you've already been using it all playthrough
2) I also forgot the updated Chris model looked exactly like one of my college buddies, I kinda want to get the DLC now

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The Chris DLC is free, it's the others which are paid.

That was a nice surprise, I forgot any of them were free.

I'm kinda liking it. It's weird, the best part of RE7 proper was the furthest it got from the post-4 games, but it also feels pretty great to jump right in as hyper-competent* Chris and just start punching fungus zombies' heads off. I guess the moral is, I don't know what the hell the franchise really is, or what I want from it.

*e: gameplay-wise, in terms of plot he's basically "well, the last four buttons set off traps but this one is clearly labelled NOT A TRAP, I'm gonna push it"

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 7, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

Goddamn, how is Chris so dumb. I know his greatest achievement is literally punching through a boulder, but I feel bad for the guy getting clowned on so constantly by Lucas. I assume the ending reveals the second half of the title, "...Just A Chump"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

Those guys were probably lost from the start in this case, but I feel like Leon at least would've gotten in some solid burns along the way. "Well if you're tired of playing games, maybe you should get a job" *flips hair out of eyes*

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

Mr. Fortitude posted:

In Resident Evil Gaiden, it's implied in the ending that Leon is dead and the Leon you've been travelling around with is the shapeshifting BOW.

This explains a lot about RE4

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

It is, but also very fun.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

What are the chances of the RE4 remake having inventory tetris? I was just thinking about how that's such an indelible part of the original, but it would have to be kind of a big zag in mechanics now that we're just cranking through games built on the same core engine that kind of skip around a huge part of the original development cycle.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

There was a lot of inventory anxiety in 7 & the 2 remake (which looks the same as 3 from what I've seen), but it mostly felt like a numbers game to me, even with a couple big weapons taking up two spots. RE4's expanding suitcase with items taking up 2D space felt so different that they completely changed the flow, I'm just curious if that's something the devs will take the time to bother with it given an existing setup.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

Things I did not think while replaying RE7: This series should be more gruesome

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

codo27 posted:

Prob could stop round housing people at this point

It's just so much more engaging than any of the other systems.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

umbrella_RE8.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

College Slice

We'd be even worse off if the big bioweapons didn't spontaneously manifest all sorts of eyeballs to shoot, as far as I'm concerned it's a feature, not a bug.