Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

*runs into thread, out of breath and sweaty* Are we arguing about remaking 4 again??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The mechanics could definitely use an overhaul, my big worry about a 4 remake is that the original's presentation is the high point of the series' perfect dumb campiness, and I don't think a remake would let that stand. That said, it won't instantly remove every copy of the original version from existence, so whatever happens will be worth a try.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

Sadler is a poo poo villain.

Please don't mistake being small-time for being lovely.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

There's a VR mod for Doom 3 that includes an option which lets you play cutscenes where you have to say each line to proceed. I'd kinda love that for RE4VR

[Me in headset shouting alone in empty apartment]
"Saddler, you're small-time!"
I did not understand that, please try again.
"SADDLER, you're small-time!"
"Saddler, you're SMALL-TIME!"
"SAAADDDLLEERRR! YOOUU'RRRE! SMAAALLL! TIIIIMMME!"
[Saddler chuckles]

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Werewolf
Werewolf
There's a werewolf
Loose in Not Spain

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Chris Redfurld

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Legends say David Vaughn turns into Roger Craig Smith under the light of a full moon

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Medullah posted:

His flamethrower is powered by propane and propane accessories.

This is going to make for one of the all time great mods.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Wow. I had no idea there was that much info out, I thought it was just a regular leak of planned projects and smaller stuff.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

As long as the leak didn't reveal cutting-edge tech to delete everyone's five copies of the original, I'm content to wait and see what happens.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I liked what was there, but it was what, six hours in my first playthrough? That was just disappointing at anywhere near full price since I don't play games to max out challenges, I just replay good games maybe every couple years unless they're in the all timer tier.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

My dream is for RE9 to perfect the multi-character questline formula with Barry, Leon, and Joe Baker.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

RE4 Switch doesn’t have gyro aiming, huh? That’s too bad.

Man that would've been so nice, I assume it was non trivial to add or modify from the wii version compared to just plopping the same re-release on yet another system.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

The weird thing is they added it to 5 and 6 in a patch.

Oh poo poo, that might be enough to get me to play 5 again.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Well, on the plus side, you're halfway through a challenge run.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

IIRC they started using a "scan a actual real life person -> there's your in-game model" with Resident Evil 7 so that means I'm gonna need IMDB to get updated asap

I wonder how they even managed to find a vampire

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I wonder if Joe Baker could punch out a vampire

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It has discrete difficulty levels, but it sure feels like it adapts a bit within those if you're failing a bunch.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Glad to see Capcom hasn't lost their touch in creating disgusting grody textures since RE7.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Medullah posted:

Look, Margarite was scary but she's puppy dogs and rainbows compared to the horror that is QTE

By this metric, Krauser was the most powerful villain in the world

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Hey, maybe keep that element but make it 3d so your attache case gets wider and deeper? Allow you to choose to what axis to expand it on and have different layers cost more/less?

In full VR, I wanna sit there moving things around in 3D space with my hands

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Combine those herbs manually, realize you hosed it up when it takes off health

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Wow, I forgot RE7 didn't have position tracking for its in-game conversations. Kind of awkward when Ethan's sneakily crouching around the room while Mia's having an emotional moment directed at where he's supposed to be. Hopefully Capcom's used these last four years of tech progress wisely.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh yeah, hauling around a suitcase full of eggs and fish is one of the game's many delights.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I guess blocking in RE7 really does work, I made it through the snip-snopper/chainsaw fight in one try for the first time ever, that's usually one of my frustration points :black101:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:vince:

PS, End of Zoe is like top two things in the franchise for me, half the reason I convinced myself to replay 7 again was to get to it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Remembering that blocking exists is something that many players find surprisingly difficult, including myself.

This time around, I feel like it's dumping a ton of "L1 - block" prompts when Jack's chasing you or during some of the boss fights. I remembered it as being much less instructive, I'm not sure how I managed to forget it in previous playthroughs with this many reminders.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah I think having patched in more tutorial prompts would explain a lot.

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a shame that the scene of Jack chopping off your leg and you just straight-up glueing it back on is something so many people miss. I think it would've driven home the point that you are durable and facetanking poo poo with your hands is supposed to be an option.

I believe I'm on my fourth playthrough and I've seen that literally one time, the last time I played. It's just bonkers that they made it so missable.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's kinda bullshit that you reset all the way to the beginning of Lucas' puzzle room if you gently caress up at the end. I even remembered 95% of the solution but spent too long thinking I had to escape through the wall rather than grab the bomb and throw it there. Like, solving the puzzles if fine once, but it's already bizarre to make you do the same sequence twice if you use the tape, and it's especially dumb to waste your time "solving" it yet again if you screw up. :sigh:
e: yeah I know you can speedrun it the second time, it just still feels like a weird waste of your time.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 24, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

OK, after getting through I'm not as angry at it as I thought, the puzzle relating to the videotape run was better than I thought but I was running on assumptions from having a bad memory :downs:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

snoremac posted:

But the point of doing it the second time is to cheat by going immediately to the LOSER lock.

Yeah, that's what I remembered halfway through. I was sure that it was related to reacting differently at the end because I was 100% certain I remembered Ethan getting branded that too.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah it's neat in principle, it's only in replays that it annoys me. Stuff that forces you to stand around and wait for the script to let you move on even when you already know what to do and where to go, that just always irks me even if it's not that much of my actual time (this run excepted :v:)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

Yeah it's neat in principle, it's only in replays that it annoys me. Stuff that forces you to stand around and wait for the script to let you move on even when you already know what to do and where to go, that just always irks me even if it's not that much of my actual time (this run excepted :v:)

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You don't have to do the VHS tape at all, do you? I feel like I skipped it on subsequent runs

No, you don't, unless you misremember what the actual trick to it is like I did. It's more that I'll probably forget about it again and bumble around redoing things for another half hour whenever I get around to playing it again.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man I feel like I'm powering through things compared to my previous playthroughs, I think the only time I've died aside from my stupidity in the puzzle room was one time during the garage fight. I think a lot of it is slowing down to find more chem packs, and intentionally focusing less on maintaining health so I have a lot more potential to craft enhanced ammo. Constantly having a good supply of that has made most of the bosses a breeze.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

snoremac posted:

I think he still can be, just like he rather stupidly just stands there and let's the exploding balloon stab him with a pen despite seeing it happen in the video!

He can, but one of the items that's needed for that is the one that leads to failing the puzzle. My big mistake was in getting mixed up and thinking the bit you're supposed to learn from the video came after that point.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

After beating the main game again, I'm sorta ambivalent about the presentation and characterization. The first-person view is supposed to be more immersive, but Ethan is just such a blank slate that it kinda feels like a misstep. But then you switch to End of Zoe and it's instantly one of the best things ever while being in the same general gameplay model. Maybe a combination of having a character who has a line of dialogue more than every hour, and switching from sticking to a completely in-game viewpoint to third-person cutscenes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dewgy posted:

I thought Ethan had pretty good characterization, but you have to assume he actually knows that there’s some bullshit afoot from the get-go. They had to put a lot of work into hiding that fact and it gets kinda awkward.

Like, at the start of the game, you just hear him talking about how “Oh wow, Mia’s alive! What an incredible mystery!”, but after a few runs through I get a much bigger impression of “Oh wow, Mia’s alive! Despite taking that almost definitely suicidal Umbrella job I told her to turn down!”

His demeanor through the whole thing is more aggravated and exasperated than terrified, and he seems to know who Chris is when he shows up at the end. I don’t know if Capcom’s ever expanded on his history at any point, but I feel like he has to be ex-STARS or FBC or something.

Yeah, in retrospect I can see some of that being there. I guess to me it just feels like more of that should be overt - like, despite the game returning to a scarier tone, everything going on is absolutely batshit bananas, and I wouldn't mind a main character that's more directly reactive.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Shame Boy posted:

Did Joe Baker take off as a meme? If he is a successful enough meme then Capcom has to pay attention and bring him into another DLC in 8 right? I really,really want to punch some werewolves :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

There's definitely a timeline where RE7 didn't happen, because Ethan brought literally no supplies and gates are impossible to climb over