Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

For that you get the head...

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Recently bought REmake and I'm not sure what happened to me but I cannot get the fixed camera thing down anymore and have a bitch of a time aiming. I used to kick rear end on RE1. I think I'm spoiled by over the shoulder so I'm very much looking forward to RE2make. One thing I noticed in that demo though was that it didn't look like there was a targeting dot. The player was having trouble shooting that thing's eyeball weak spot. Is that in options or do you have to find a laser sight or something?

I might install REZero and give that a shot. Maybe on easy mode since apparently I suck now. Honestly forgot that I had it installed. Is it worth a go?

Started in on Prey last night and it's seriously creeping me out so that's good but I'm worried that there won't be enough variety of enemies. Also, I'm pretty sure I know the "twist" already (if there is one) and wonder why they'd make it so obvious if it's what I think it is.

Reading this thread makes me want to do another RE7 run. I beat it once like over a year ago and loved it. I like taking long breaks from survival horror games so that they feel more fresh when i replay them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Convex posted:

Play Evil Within 2 if you haven't already, game is loving great all the way through and is much more RE4 than Silent Hill this time round.

Played both EW1 and 2.

EW2 was way better and I enjoyed the hell out of it. EW1 had way too many instakills and was all over the place tonally. I stuck with it but wasn't nuts about it. Part 2 was great. Loves the suburbs maps.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Honestly way more video games need to give you a sense of place, I'm looking forward to the RE2make and the RPD for the same reason.

People are mixed on it but Alien: Isolation did a really great job with this.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

I liked pretty much all the games in the series except 6 but I be damned if I can get used to the old school tank controls after going over the shoulder/first person. I tried REmake and my muscle memory is just so loving broken. I honestly don't know how I used to do it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

ImpAtom posted:

Resident Evil 6....It's got more variety than basically any game on the market but is a good example of why variety doesn't go hand-in-hand with quality. It genuinely would have been a lot better if they'd chosen one, MAYBE two concepts and stuck with it.

Yeah, but like 1/3 of the variety is QTE segments.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Vic posted:

I didn't know you could turn off the QTEs in 6! Does it include the "dodge incoming subway trains" segment and those boss fight QTEs too?

Me neither. Seemed like a HUGE part of the game though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

And yeah QTE's are often just lazy dumb poo poo, with the worst being those masquerading as "interactive cut scenes". Get the gently caress out of my face with that poo poo, making me press buttons suddenly while I'm holding the controller with one hand and grabbing a drink in the other. Bastard.

Stealing this for the "Thing dragging this game down" thread

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

RBX posted:

Are they expensive because of need or bad management is the question? Are they actually expensive? Do we have concrete numbers for any game?

No concrete (or steel) was used to make the games.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

I think I'm about due for a RE7 replay soon myself. I haven't played it since it first came out, barely started my 2nd run and don't remember too much about it besides the Texas Chainsaw family parts so the gameplay should be fresh. Never did any of the DLC either.

Will be a good primer for RE2 remake

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Agreeing that I don't think a RE4 remake is needed since the main thing they added to the older games is the over the shoulder controls and the new camera angle. 4 was the game that first gave us that in the first place and really made gave the game a much needed make over. I was super bummed out when I bought REmake1 because I thought they went full 3D with it and brought along RE4 controls and camera angles.

I never minded the tank controls back in the day but after playing the new style I just can't go back.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Ulio posted:

One of the reasons, I quit RE remake is because the combat which I didn't understand how it worked. So you shoot the zombies in the head and they go down but they still don't die? So is it better to shoot them a couple more time when they are down? I lost a bunch of health because of them getting back up. The other question I have is, is the knife useful at all? Other than them being on the ground or the first lunge they do, it doesn't do much.

Also are the puzzles in RE simple? I hate puzzles in games that aren't about puzzles.

the camera doesn't do you any favors either. I gave up on it too even though I loved the original game back in the day. Knife is useful, yes, but only in narrow windows. The way to tell if a zombie dies if they have a blood pool under them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

I haven't been this psyched for a game in a while. Probably not since the Arkham games.

I never buy new releases but I'm considering breaking my rule for this one.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Replaying RE7 for the first time in 2 years and have forgotten everything. Currently stuck in a dark crawl space during a VHS flashback and can't get out. Game is fun as hell but wish there was a pause menu that outlines the controls so I can get adjusted again.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

How old is your son?

I was loving around with RE7 (the early Guest House parts) with my 8 year old. Just showing the spooky disgusting house before any real poo poo jumps off and he literally pissed his pants and noped out when the girlfriend first jumped out at me. It was hilarious but definitely time to shut it off and wait til he's older.

He had a little pee stain on his jeans and was all "nuh-uh".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Man, replaying RE7 and I had totally forgotten about that close quarters chainsaw fight. I died probably 10 times on my first play through.

Also 10 this time. God drat.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Dude, SPOLIERS!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Dewgy posted:

There were a few times where a character got killed off in the A side and you found them dead in B, and the Birkin fights were all different phases of his mutation too. Sounds like they pared back on that level of variation but kept the opening and ending differences as well as Mr. X.

If I remember right, there were also things like items that you didn't grab, stuff you moved or unlocked and puzzles you half way solved being there for the next character but it's been a long time so maybe not..

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

JBP posted:

It was always more annoying than scary that a zombie moving at half walking speed was threatening because your character pivoted like a broken wheelchair

Yeah that's why I could never get into the RE1 remake. For some reason, the controls ever bothered me at the time and I was pretty damned good at the game but going back was impossible for me. Also, if anything, the FP camera increases the scare factor and is more immersive.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Holy poo poo.

I've been dicking around with RE7 (only my second play through after sitting on it for 2 years) and just realized I have deluxe edition so I guess I never downloaded some extra poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Firstborn posted:

Why didn't you just use the Alternate control scheme, then?

You guys know that Alternate removes the tank controls, right? You still have the fixed camera angles, but it works more like you think it should.
E: Speedrunners use the Alternate a lot because you can very, very easily juke around zombies.

I did. It was better but I'm still too used to the first person view and the abrupt camera transitions/not being able to see monsters right in front of me didn't work for me.

Also, score! I didn't realize I had a code for all the RE7 DLC. I messed around with "Not a Hero" and it was OK. Does it matter which one I play first? Banned Footage or End of Zoe?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

My dad is in a coma so I can't even do this

drat dude. Sorry about that. There's a zombie joke in there somewhere but it seems in bad taste and not worth exploring so...

I hope your dad is ok. I've been there.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Kibayasu posted:

please use his proper name

Trump?

Did he make a cameo in RE2?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Game is awesome and l'm loving it. Just got to the sewers and that 1st run in down there.

I swear to god my game bugged though. There's a policemen's notebook that explains the medallion puzzles but gently caress if it's in my inventory anywhere. I went to the notes section and the submenus. I had to look up the combinations online to solve those.

Also, I still have a key i got very early on that I think is for the 1st gas station so I must have missed a room or a locker or something right at the start. Haven't had any HUGE ammo problems so far and I've been going for head shots and some sprints so I'm thinking that prolific use of the boards was a good idea.

Question: if Leon A takes the items from the safes and the police lockers are they going to be gone when I get to Claire B? Because that would suck and I'm hearing talk that her run is tight on inventory slots so I'm worried I should have saved the pouches for her.

EDIT: Also, if a zombie is down but kind of shaking a little should i bother head shotting him on the ground to finish him off?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Grey Fox posted:

It boils down to how often you think you'll be back in the area, how narrow the pathways are, whether you're being chased, and how much ammo you have.

I meant does it hurt them at all or am i wasting my time? I guess you can finish them off then. Thanks

Anyone else have the medallion puzzle diagram/officer's notebook not show up in inventory? Xbox One version.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Peewi posted:

It's in notes, not the inventory.

Yeah that's what I meant. It wasn't showing up and I know I picked it up

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

sponges posted:

Are the safe combinations close by the safes themselves? Id rather not look it up online but Im having a hell of a time finding them in game

Not really, no.

Kin posted:

Welp, 2nd run done for Claire.

It was different enough to be entertaining, but not different enough that i feel like i want to play the game again any time soon (to unlock things).

Given that it's about 90% identical to the 1st run (in terms of puzzzles and plot beats) i feel like i've already played the game twice over.

It's a great game, but i think if they had really gone the extra mile to make the 2nd run act in complete parallel to the 1st, then it would have given it that little bit more.

I think this would have added something as well. Like, make you decide in "A" what you'll grab/unlock and then that changes what's left hanging around in "B". Surprised there's not more crossover.

I'm taking my sweet loving time with Leon A even though I know speed is critical for a good grade. I just love soaking it all in and taking my time/listening and exploring and that I'll only get one shot for the atmosphere to be new .

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Man...fuuuuuck the Ada part

And the sewers in general. Not nearly as fun as the police station.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Barudak posted:

Adas section sucks because what they want you to do is both boring and just bypasses the games flow.

She needs more bullets to accomplish what she needs to. I limped my way out of it.

Speaking of bullets though, finally turbo hosed myself after the crane/sewer battle and am empty except for the flamethrower. Took me forever to find my way out of that room with the chess keys too . Geez.

I gotta hand it to the game though. It really does take me back to the survival part of survival horror. The sense of dread is palpable and resource management is tough. Thankfully I haven't run into the problem of being over encumbered yet.

So there's that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Barudak posted:

The goofy thing is she really doesnt. Like I was mad going into the labs because she had like 30 bullets shes not giving to Leon as he goes into the NEST.

The first room with zombie can be unlocked before you drop down, so exit the room. The second room has wide enough space and slow enough spawn that once you know where you actually need to go its a straight shot there and back with minimal dodging. Then when she gets chased by a tyrant its the same deal, memorize where her switches are and youre gone before he ever starts clomping towards you.

It was just kind of an overall letdown.

I must have missed some bullets laying around then. She ran out quick for me and all I could do was haul rear end/limp around on red health.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

gently caress me. I missed the magnum.

Had this red jewel lying around and now I have that plus like 15-20 rounds for the fucker. I kept assuming it would show up somewhere later on.

Dang. Lab level is really cool. So happy to be out of the sewers.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Deviant posted:

Hm, I guess, but the plant zombies are a pain.

Flamethrower

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Sir Tonk posted:

evil within 2 is really good, 1 is kinda slow though

Yeah, EW1 is too on rails and loving riddled with instakills. I liked it somewhat but EW2 is way better

E: And I guess I'm the only one that's had ZERO problems with plant zombies? I just kind of "squirted" them with short flamethrower bursts and then cooked the fuckers. Maybe 50 more come out later but so far they're the easiest kills I've had in the entire game.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 31, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How about an RE set in a school-building? Or just the open-world bit from Evil Within 2?

I'd love this. The "open world" parts of EW2 were my favorite part of the game and lent a lot of atmosphere. It "felt" open enough to be immersive but not overly sprawling as to be overwhelming. I'd really like a "RE: Raccoon City" that has several interior levels sprinkled around a city/neighborhood layout.

Also, I don't remember much about CV except that I recall liking it. And that giant spider under the ice freaked me out

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 31, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

I have a dumb question. Is damage cumulative?

Like, if I pop off a couple head shots, a kneecap and wing a licker on my way to a safe room but don't drop any of the monsters, when I come back out and re-enter that same hall/room does the damage I already inflicted carry over to their "hit points" or whatever? Because I could see that being a useful thing to consider if I try a speed run.

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Is zombie "HP" persistent or does it get reset when you wander off too far?

This. Haven't seen a definitive answer though. Do the zombie kneecaps stay ...um...kneecapped?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 1, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

As far as I can tell, the staircase jack isn't even essential is it? All it does is make a little bridge to ease travel I think.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

In Training posted:

Oh yeah I meant to bring this up before. Whoever said you only need 10 fuel units to kill a single plant guy, and 100 units to kill G3 is either full of poo poo or playing at 250fps on Assisted or something.

I'm not sure it it's only 10 but my plant guys go permanently down real easy with the flamethrower and I don't use much fuel. (Normal/unassisted)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Kibayasu posted:

I think they said if you knock the plants down with other weapons then you only need a bit to kill them (unless you also meant this).

No...I aim low on them and kind of "spritz" them until they fall down (not holding the trigger) until I see the flame to catch and then wait or spritz a little more as needed. They fall down and then I broil them, still spritzing. I never counted how much fuel i'm using but I seem to have a ton left. HOWEVER...

I'm not out of the lab yet either (just got the uncooled chemical or whatever it is and did those door frequency things) so maybe tons more of those dudes show up when I go back out there to grab that object the glass smashed guy is holding.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm one of those weirdos who likes every mainline RE game (spinoffs not so much). Even 6, which I like a lot. Even 0 which is probably my least favorite is still a blast for me. So I'm in this weird position where I want RE 8 to follow in the same footsteps as REmake 2 and even 7 because I prefer that style of gameplay but still want to see a game starring Jake and Joe going full balls to the wall action but there's no way either of them could carry a game that isn't action focused.

Either way, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy 8 and the theoretical REmake 3 when they come out.

I hope RE8 continues the documentary/found footage thing where you can interact with the environment in ways that effect your play through. I thought that was a really clever game play add and wish they'd used it a bit more.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

About halfway thru Claire B about to rescue the kid.

I hosed myself over hard with Leon A since I never got the magnum and only just barely eeked out a win. I thought I was hosed in the final fight due to lack of healing items and ammo. I'm also one of those slow players who aims constantly and takes my time soaking in the atmosphere and being freaked out so it took me like 12 or 13 hours.

And, man, fuuuccckkk Claire's hundreds of different guns too. It's really annoying using up inventory space trying to collect all the poo poo you need and still maintain some sort of arsenal, especially early on when you're getting mismatched item upgrades and bullets. After a bit, I just tossed 2 or 3 guns in the box and had at it with whatever I had the most ammo for at any given save spot and just went machine gun. Claire's "cut scene" level was way better than Leon's.

gently caress that Licker thru the glass in the interrogation room too. Holy poo poo.

How are you guys "dodging" zombies? I try to dash by them like the old game and they seem to have a really long reach. I guess stun then dash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

the tail...

the whole damned thing.

enojy posted:

On my 500th playthrough and I just realize the irony of Leon/Claire not having a key for the chain link fence gate to let the other character in at the helicopter crash cutscene, except there are bolt cutters 5 feet away.

Seems like you could climb over the loving fence too.

Not really getting the hate for lack of variation between a and b. Seems different enough to me. I just loving hate Claire's 20 different guns.