Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
So is GameTrailers known for being overly positive or something? I normally find their reviews good enough, but wow, 8.8 is a really high score compared to what this is getting elsewhere. I know opinions disagree, but it seems odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

The only RE Games I've completed are 7, 2make and 3make. I've played some Re4 but not finished it.

So far my biggest surprise is how easy Village is on Standard. I found the above ^ games all more challenging. I'm several hours in past Dimitrescu's castle and the "house with the red chimney" and have not died once.

Its not really a criticism, just surprising. In general this does seem to be intended to be a less 'oppressive' game than some of the more pure survival horror games. I've thought about jacking up the difficulty but I think I'm OK with just accepting this a curated horror carnival thrill ride rather than a serious challenge.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Crowetron posted:

Having now done the opening survival sequence on both Normal and Hardcore, I'm more confused by it than before. Both times the cutscene kicked in just as I was getting overwhelmed which appears to be the intended result. But then I read what people who are stuck on it are doing and its usually the same thing I did. I'm half expecting Capcom to put out a tweet saying its bugged on some platforms at this point.

What's the thing people stuck on it are doing? I played this on Standard and enjoyed the pace of it going through the houses and eventually up the top of the building before heading back down, getting overwhelmed and the cutscene playing.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

That puppeteer's house was great. The game before that and the first boss's area I was thinking "oh ok, this is more fun house of horror scary not genuinely disturbing scary". I ate my words there, very disturbing sequence!

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Ethan Winters is a great character, it's fun seeing what Conor from Detroit Become Human would do in a zombie apocalypse

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Jeez. After not finding any of the rest of the game particularly challenging at all (on Standard) I am now dying over and over again on the final boss... I've had to rethink my inventory with the merchant. I'm getting Kingdom Hearts flashbacks with the dialogue I'm hearing repeated

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

The opening animation is really beautiful and unique. I thought that was a very cool and off kilter way to start this game.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

mistermojo posted:

The Factory is such a good level. All the levels in this one have been very good, much better than the usual second halves

I enjoyed the Factory but found it a little more confusing to navigate than many of the other areas, even with the map.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Thinking back on Village it really was strange how the game introduced a cast of Eastern European survivors each with unique perspectives and quirks ala the new Wolfenstein games only to murder literally all of them a minute later

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Noah-Caldwell Gervais 7 hour video on the series is so good.

His section on Re3 remake made me remember just how much I liked playing that game. Despite the initial disappointment that Nemesis wasn't more systemic, removed from that, it's a pretty amazing horror-action linear setpiece game in the Naughty Dog kinda vein. Perhaps not what most players would want a RE game to be, but it's very good at what it does

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Pretty cool that a fan film is getting a wide theatrical release

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Is it an unpopular opinion that I would be down for another remake of RE1 in the third person over the shoulder style of the other remakes

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Very fun game so far, I don't think it's as "interesting" as the Resident Evil 2 remake was but that's somewhat inevitable given the greater change in perspective and graphical fidelity making that a more fundamentally different game

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

It's a good and fun experience but the implementation of nemesis as setpieces only and not systemic is disappointing

Its kind of a little underwhelming as a full priced game, but if you got it discounted and instead think of it is as super mega deluxe DLC for resident evil 2make it's the greatest DLC ever

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Does this still have adaptive difficulty?

It almost certainly does. 2make and 3make definitely did.

While item locations are fixed, the game is almost certainly controlling enemy aggressiveness, damage, items enemies drop etc to maintain that challenging but possible "I just scraped through!" experience

But so far it's definitely the most challenging of recent Resi games. I found 8 just, way too easy tbh on normal. I didn't die at all until the final boss fight, and I'm not especially good at these games.

Whereas I died a few times in the first town on re4

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

I think that's a very good analysis and it's part of what I mean about the remake of 2 (and perhaps to some extent even 3!) being more interesting. Those remakes brought a certain level of humanity and stakes to the proceedings, even though there's still a certain level of shlock. RE4 remake is more camp, which mirrors what it's remaking, for better or worse. It's definitely a less humane game tho

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

I was stupid and didn't realize greyed out treasure meant you can't get yet

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

The police chief boss fight is much harder in the OG game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Ada's voice grew on me by the end. The change is initially jarring but I don't think she's phoning it in.