Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I went to czech out the old Resident Evil LPs so I could remember what happened in the old games, those are some pretty rough chuckles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It's time for Mr. X to run from me!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Btw speedrunning tip: If you die then quit to menu before loading your save. If you don't then I don't think the timer actually resets. I probably wasted a few minutes by being too lazy to do it.

LadyPictureShow posted:

:zpatriot:

E: serious question; did you run through it a few times/have a pre-release copy, or are you some kind of video game savant?

I played through once normally, this was my second speedrun and first on Hardcore.

Pwnstar fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 26, 2019

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

lambskin posted:

Absolutely loving this game so far. Beat Leon A and am now on Claire A. Has anyone found a use for blue herbs aside from the shielding effect when combined with red ones? I know they cure poison but I still haven't been poisoned by anything.

There is one enemy in the game that I've found that can poison you.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Speedball posted:

I think it's the sewer mutants and the plant zombies, though the latter I'm not too sure about because I always killed them before they could get close to me.

I think the plant zombies just straight up kill you if you don't break their grab.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Pistols are the only weapons that really have any issues killing zombies, a shotgun blast to the head will kill them every time.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Heavy Metal posted:

But there's that urge to save shells for boss fights, it'd have to be pretty hairy to use them on a zombie.

You don't really need the shotgun for boss fights. The first boss fight is easy to kite around with a pistol, by the second you've got the magnum or you can just use flash grenades. Next boss magnum again.

Once you get a feel for the game its easy to just cap zombies once or twice with your pistol to stagger them and run past, and use the shotgun when you want to clear out an area. Once you start unlocking the infinite ammo weapons, thats when the fun starts though.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Fhqwhgads posted:

I know I probably shouldn't try for an S on my first playthrough but after beating Leon A with an A ranking, I'm going through Claire A and just got to the Orphanage at 1:40. I feel like I got through to the clocktower a LOT faster this time than as Leon since I wasn't trying to complete every room. I can't find any non-super-speedrun benchmarks, but is 1:40 for that point in the game decent, or is a sub 3:30 not possible from here?

If you've already done a Leon run, you should already have a pretty good idea of how to run through the next couple of areas. You should be ok, if you are worried just make a safety save at the start of each new area and redo it if you mess up.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Mr X needs to step his game if he wants to catch me.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

How in the gently caress does this even happen haha

Did you play the original a lot and memorize all the paths you have to take and every move the bosses make?

I never played the original but after my first run I started doing speedruns to unlock the special gear, they are pretty fun. This run was just a goofy one using those.

The layout of the Police Station is easy to memorise, bosses have pretty basic patterns but if you are running through and not taking your time on every zombie you can usually trivialise them with surplus ammo also.

Pwnstar fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 29, 2019

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

drat, UhTrance just beat Leon A in under an hour.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Lmao, you can clown first stage Birkin with the knife and he's powerless to stop you.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Most people who play games want to do the bare minimum to "beat the game" and never play it again. Much like how the normal way of watching tv is to see it out of the corner of your eye as you play with your phone.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

This game is really easy to learn how to speedrun, its entirely straightforward and there's no weird little tricks to learn. Once you've beaten the game you know where all the key items are, you should have memorised the whole police station layout and you can just write down safe combinations on a piece of paper. It seems more initidating of a challenge than it is.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The police helicopter only crashed into the station because it passed directly over Leon.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Chris owned in RE5 for being the world's buffest man and punching a boulder into submission. Also to me its canon that he screamed "SHEVA! Gimme an erb! I need an erb! gimme an erb!" every 2 seconds.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

My first run I took a long time on 2 of the Nemesis fights because I was waiting till I could knock him into his "reveal weakpoint" mode so I was playing it very safe and not attacking much but it turns out you can just unload in his loving face and you don't need to do any special mechanics lmao.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The QTE in RE4 is actually easymode because you can just slam all the buttons at once instead of wasting time noticing the right prompt.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

RE7 is good but Zombie Redneck Torture Family is definitely the least interesting option on the Cabin in the Woods whiteboard.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Fond memories of the Knife Only RE4 run.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

My personal dream list for the remake, spoilered for non classic players just in case

That dog - Hopefully previews about this were tricks
Leon's absurd inner thoughts when looking at stuff
The merchant saying "I'll buy it at a high price"
"The Big Cheese"
Leon calling Luis Louis every single time
The Ganado who stole Leon's jacket
Oven Man
The Chair
"Your right hand comes off?"
Leon loving with Salazar in general
Leon being a goofball in general
Giant Salazar Robot
Every time Leon calls the baddies terrorists and they are like "American much? lol"
The special RPG being described as "the perfect weapon to defeat the boss"
Armor Suit Ashley crushing Ganados who try to kidnap her

Not a complete list ofc

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Where's everyone going? Bingo?

That was confirmed already I believe

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I think history has taught us that a bunch of Americans would purposely get bitten by zombies to own the libs.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

This is canon

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I did all the RE4 ARG and was hyped for something cool and it's a link to the public Capcom steam lmao

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Anyone kill the chainsaw guy yet?

Yeah

Also glad the classic is back

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Maybe if you get 10k coins you get a "Great" score?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Btw you can hit the crouch button to dodge grabs.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I just tried running in like a maniac like this and its so much easier haha. You don't get to kill Salvador though sadly.

Meaty Ore posted:

I'm playing using keyboard/mouse like I have with all the RE Engine games so far; is it just me or does the mouselook move incredibly slow? It worked great in RE2Make and made navigating in combat so much easier. Here it seems like I can't turn at all unless I use the directional keys. If I want to get a look at Leon's face I have to swipe the mouse across the pad four or five times; in RE2 I could do it in one.

If you go to camera settings you can adjust that. I had to turn mine pretty high.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

There's lots of menu settings for camera speed/speed while aiming, aim assist, slow down while on enemy etc etc. So if the aiming is sluggish to you then czech those out because surely you can work something out to your preferences.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

January 6 Survivor posted:

it's set in Spain actually

I think you will find that is the European county of Noespaña.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gIhaXYAOAQ

Leon getting his anime hair cut by the army barber was like this

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The parry is also extremely forgiving, a well-timed one will let you do a followup melee attack but even very sloppy timing still staggers the enemy and gives you breathing room. It's great!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Maybe for the best but RIP to this bizarre moment.

Asteroid Alert posted:

Did anyone manage to suplex some ganados in the demo?

Yes, you can do that thing. Only from behind though so its a little trickier.

Pwnstar fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 13, 2023

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

NikkolasKing posted:

My favorite crazy Leon inner thought is when you examine the corpses in the freezer on the Island and Leon just goes "Sucks to be them."

Looking at a picture of Saddler "What a sinister looking fellow"

"Look at all this lab equipment!"

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

try fishing

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I understand hoping for new and cool exciting twists and gameplay etc but when people are like "hmm looks too much like Resident Evil 4 but with updated graphics, meh" I don't get it because RE4 is one of the best games of all time and even a 100% 1:1 remake would still be pretty rad to me.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Just wanna say Red 9 and Bolt-Action Rifle are the objectively correct choices.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I don't know if they are built off it or w/e but yes they all have the PS2 version bonus features and pre-rendered cutscenes. GC had realtime or in engine or w/e the term is cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

An over the shoulder Resident Evil in a single fully connected area would be super fun to me. I had a lot of fun speedrunning Resident Evil 2 Remake, a whole game that was like the Police Station but moreso would be chefs kiss.