Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Outbreak had problems...boy did it have problems... but I still found myself enjoying it when I played it. I liked "random group of people band together to avoid zombies in a time-sensitive situation," I liked the clever options you had regarding the cure and the final boss, and I thought it was actually pretty good-looking. If only the load times weren't so abysmal...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Outbreak was ahead of its time... yeah, that's a good assessment. Heck, would Left 4 Dead be the same if Outbreak hadn't tried basically the same concept first?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Outbreak File #2 Trailer has some of the neatest music. It's easily my most favorite trailer in the series. (Plus it has ATTACK OF ZOMBIE ELEPHANT!)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I just wonder if Sherry has any residual problems from being host to a G embryo at one point. In fact she's the only person to be exposed to the G-virus without being destroyed by it, as far as I know!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm probably just gonna have to put this one in my Gamefly queue rather than purchase it because the reviews are all the hell over the place on this one. Maybe it'll be awesome, maybe it won't be. I don't even know.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I kind of like the idea of mutating enemies that respond to where you hit them. Dead Space 3 is supposed to have something similar. We'll see how they handle it when it comes out.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bovineicide posted:

Also, is it normal to want to punch Helena? Her whole "I can't explain it to you, I have to show you " schtick is really pissing me off.

I was very nearly screaming, "Bitch, I will SHOOT YOU IN THE FOOT if you don't explain things NOW" at the screen. It is rare for me to be that frustrated.

I only just got this game in the mail, been playing through Leon's campaign first. It's been a blast so far; just finished the second chapter. Walking through the lab with all the chrysalis-ed former scientists was genuinely creepy.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I haven't gotten the game yet, but I was wondering how exactly has the upgrading changed in 6? I know that you no longer upgrade weapons with money, you get skill points I think?

You get skill points and purchase upgrades that go into three slots, you can only equip three skills at a time. However, if you beat one character's campaign, you unlock the ability to have multiple different skillsets you can switch between on the fly from the menu in the middle of a mission.

You don't upgrade weapons because you get skills that boost your general damage output with all weapons; things like that. There is sadly no "Whatta ya buying?" guy. You also have to go at least all the way through the first chapter of someone's campaign (and some chapters get really long, it took me two hours to get through Leon's Chapter 1)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One of my few Game Overs was actually a pretty cool thing. It was a unique death animation of an axe-holding zombie repeatedly axing Leon in the face. Left, right, left, right. Ow.

Reminds me of the first time Leon had his head chainsawed off when I first played RE4.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Holy moley, finished Leon's campaign. And you tell me there's still more game?

Not to mention, the art design that went into the environments to make them all look totally real and lived-in, even if you only visit them once. Capcom must have spent a SHITLOAD of money on this game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I need to get better at Mercenaries, because that's the real way you get skill point upgrades. I've got the "enemies drop more items" skill equipped so hopefully they drop more skill upgrade thingies...

You can only equip one skill at a time in Mercenaries! Were they worried you'd find a way to break the game or something?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Starting up Chris's storyline after Leon's is a little bit of a letdown.

They must have had totally different scenario designers between the campaigns because it's not just a different flavor of game, it just doesn't feel quite...right.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Calaveron posted:

I mean it in a figurative sense. Billy hasn't come up at all past RE0 and the Ecliptic Express in Umbrella Chronicles. No file, no off-hand mention, no nothing.

Well, he's got to pretend he's dead or they'll throw him back on death row again, so this doesn't surprise me. He's probably got blonde hair now, lives under an alias in Baja California and works as an auto mechanic. Far from zombies and leeches.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

All things considered, rooms full of gooey statues that used to be human are a really effective and creepy image and this game tends to use them quite well.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cyra posted:

I've completed Leon and Jake's campaigns so far. Time for an unpopular opinion: this game loving owns. Seriously, it's at least ten times better than RE 5, I don't understand how anyone could feel different.

The new mechanics feel really good to me (and the implementation of melee is fuckawesome). There's nothing like diving out of the way of a zombie that's just flung itself at you, then shuffling backwards on the floor while firing frantically at it as it tries to crawl towards you. It feels like a proper modernization of classic Resident Evil.

Even the bad parts of this game entertain me more than Resident Evil 5. So, yeah.

I just realized: pretty much every Resident Evil game ever, it's a male and a female soldier teaming up, including Revelations. Is Chris's campaign in 6 the first time it's two guys?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Stupid idea: Resident Evil game with RPG elements. Maybe make it about Sherry Birkin and how her body will adapt to stress by becoming better at fighting in various ways thanks to the G Virus. Hell, that'd make it the successor to Parasite Eve.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I understood it as soon as I realized it was simulating pulling yourself up one arm at a time, but the control prompt didn't make it quite understandable.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I finally got up to Ada's chapter 4. On the one hand, that was genuinely creepy. On the other hand... come on, it had to take more than that to kill Carla! She's an amorphous blob spreading throughout the ship, freezing just one part of her couldn't have done her in!

Final thoughts before I send it back to Gamefly: Leon's campaign was easily the strongest and best-put-together. I'm not sure if it was the level design or the fact that the zombies were much more fun to fight than the J'avo, but there it is.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm just surprised Piers wasn't a woman. Pretty much every Resident Evil has been about a male and a female soldier teaming up.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That's Proto-Resident Evil 2? Huh. I don't remember those ape-things...another thing cut, I guess.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So if Elsa Walker was supposed to be a college student, why'd she get the body armor? Did she change into it at the RPD?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Tremors posted:

This is funny because Leon's is the worst campaign in RE6.

RE6 is so polarizing. I liked Leon's part the best in it. Crazy, right? One of the consequences of that game having so many different designers.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wanderer posted:

I brought it up as an illustrative example of why when ImpAtom mentions a game being easy or having easy-to-grasp mechanics, you need to take it with a grain of salt the size of the moon because he is a robo-wizard.

Yeah, I remember when he was saying Devil May Cry 3 wasn't any problem at all. ImpAtom is inhumanly good at video games. It's cool, though.

I really really wish they hadn't implemented the skill system as they did in Resident Evil 6. Almost anything would have been better than that. Even a Borderlands skill tree would have been more appropriate.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's a shame that Sherry's regenerative abilities aren't reflected in gameplay. You could do a whole game around her, make it like Parasite Eve.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You could do a pretty awesome Parasite Eve rip-off starring Sherry Birkin and her amazing evolving powers.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

If you told me this game wasn't originally designed for the 3DS or another handheld I would call bullshit.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I initially didn't like this game much but I thought better of it and now I kinda got into it. It's a pretty decent "budget" RE game, even if the Raid Mode is DLC'd up the rear end.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

"Because Terra doesn't have to end in -ist!"

I could not stop grinning at that stupid ad.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

Also during Claire's chapter 2 was I the only one that purposely skipped the second shotgun thinking I would be coming through that area as Barry?

Did it work? Did he get the weapon?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Whew, FINALLY got countdown mode on Episode 1 Claire down. My sticking point was knowing exactly what sequence to go through the whole place was, as well as hourglass locations and the most efficient way to kill the enemies.

The "hit 15 enemies with a brick" medal will be the end of me, though. Sometimes I just don't find enough bricks!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

RoanHorse posted:

I'm going to sound like an rear end for this, but I literally haven't played the campaign at all because of the framerate issues so that is my excuse--Do you get bonus parts/taunts/skill-points for Raid Mode by completing the campaign challenges like in Rev1?

The two game modes seem to be completely separate.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ok, this game isn't really scary per se, but I find fighting Glasps to be tense.

"It's coming closer!" "No, shoot more to the left!" "Hurry!"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Ah, RE4. The game so good it ruined the franchise.

Hell I'd say it was the game so good it dominated most over-the-shoulder shooters for decades.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

beergod posted:

RE4 is a top five game ever made. Every time I play it I am blown away by how great it is.

Super Bunnyhop lays it all out the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urpHwgOujcw

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Countdown Mode in Rev 2 is frustrating but also kind of really awesome once you get into it. You need to get very good, very fast. It helps that, I think, the enemies are programmed to have less health so they go down more easily and you don't waste a lot of time on bullet sponges.

Protip: do not bother with lockboxes in Countdown Mode. As far as I can tell it has no weapon customization to speak of and the lockboxes do not contain hourglasses, just gems worth BP.

Invisible Mode is kind of a whole different headache, sadly.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Broose posted:

Do you get any rewards for beating the countdown and invisible modes?

I think it unlocks some more gallery stuff, and you get a large chunk of BP and a Trophy/Achivement. It's largely there just for the challenge, like how Survival difficulty is entirely optional.

Wouldn't recommend trying out countdown or invisible until you have significantly upgraded your characters on the skill tree. Being able to dodge better, use the knife and have your parter use their guns when you're not controlling them is critical.

There are also no collectibles in Countdown or Invisible Mode.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ManOfTheYear posted:

Well, alright. It's not a long wait anyway.

Might as well try re2 out in the meantime. Haven't played any of the old re games before, so how accessible is it?

Pretty accessible. Also highly replayable, believe it or not: you get a different experience playing as Claire first Leon Second and Leon first Clair Second. RE may have started the series but RE2 was what pushed the series through the roof, quality-wise.

It's got my favorite boss monster of the whole continuity.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The REMake was more than just throwing an amazing new coat of paint on everything. They changed things up, expanded the mansion, added a whole new side-plot involving that one mutant, added in counterattack emergency weapons, altered some of the scripted scares or item locations so longtime fans would still be surprised, and added in Crimson Heads.

Crimson Heads changed _everything_.

I mean, yeah, you could try to do to RE2 what they did for RE1 but good golly it'd be an undertaking.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Lunethex posted:

So much for a simultaneous world wide release plan.

We sadly do not yet have complete global saturation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh, I've only gotten through (most) of Claire's Episode 3 but the game is really starting to feel like Resident Evil again.