Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I'm planning out my S+ runs, and I'm trying to figure out the best places to use the 3 saves, I'm thinking sometime after Birkin 1, right before Birkin 2 and 3. The latter two seem like a must for how quickly those fights can go to poo poo. Are there any parts I should consider saving prior?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So how does the Infinite Knife work, if you're grabbed and you use it but don't kill the zombie, is it gone for that playthrough or is it always in the box? I don't have the Knife yet but someone said it's the only infinite item you can use for S+ and I'd rather use that in the runs if that's the case.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

blackguy32 posted:

It's gone for good unless you retrieve it from the zombie.

gently caress, thanks.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I killed all the zombies in the prison cells and had kind of a heated gaming moment when I turned the power back on and half a dozen zombies and Mr. X all came barreling down the corridor anyway

That's pretty lovely if you went through the effort of taking them out ahead of time.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

enojy posted:

Oh, duh. Should've figured there was a loud bang to go with the flash, hence the name. I was introduced to flashbangs by Counter-Strike, which was depicted as "sounds like a cap gun and a white screen for about 5 seconds"

I think I recall hearing that the shockwave of a flashbang is enough to just knock you on your rear end because it's just a good deal of energy.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Andrigaar posted:

Unless someone knows a magical secret for increasing crit chance with the 6-shooter and M19, Annin is absurdly harder than any of the other tofus.

Hell no, Uiru-Mochi is the absolute worst. All of my tofu runs were done in at least 10-15 tries, but Uiru-Mochi took well over 30 attempts for me. I hate that fucker.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Barudak posted:

They knew Leon has no real answer to lickers because he only ever has to deal with two of them.

A shot or two from the Magnum does them in.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Anonymous Robot posted:

In general, with the amount of blue herbs this game gives you, you’d think the poison system was a major gameplay mechanic.

I honestly think they're their so you can just make defense boosts and not really to cure poison since there's only like 2 rooms you can even get poisoned.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So in the B game, since the lower area never closes, I'm pretty sure that I opened all of the doors that need the T-Tool to do so and I never got a "discard" option for it. Is this a thing or did I just miss a door somewhere twice?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just finished up all the Raccoons and beating the game without using the Item Box. All I have left to do is S+ Rank everything and I'll have 100%, but drat, this is going to be a lot of planning. Thankfully I've got the Infinite Knife and 120~ frames to knife the poo poo out of all of the bosses.

These new skips though might make this a lot easier.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Arnie was 40 in Predator and 44 in T2, so Chris being ultra-jacked in RE5 isn't impossible.

Although Schwarzenegger never punched boulders into submission.

But you can see Arnold's age in his face, while Chris looks to be in his late 20s or early 30s at best.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Pretty sure someone in the RE universe created a weak version of the T-virus and sold it as an anti-aging treatment.

That's schlocky enough that I'm surprised it didn't become part of the RE cannon.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Good soup! posted:

A medieval resident evil sounds dope but everyone would be like "oh it's mostly melee, isn't that just devil may cry"

I say screw that, navigating a castle like the Spencer Mansion and trying to seal away the plagas and stabbing and chopping up zombies sounds cool and could be really tense at times

You could just have your character be an eccentric inventor ala Sleepyhollow and have him invent some sort of primitive crossbow/flintlock pistol and have him create more absurd weaponry latter on. It could work.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Why does Claire have an SAA in 45?

Why? What am odd choice for a fun to put in a zombie game set in 1999.

What makes it strange? I know nothing about guns so I don't get why it's out of place.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

codo27 posted:

Just started adas section again.
Gf: why are you this trashy lady all of a sudden?
Me: she's Ada. The secret agent
Gf: is she secretly a prostitute?

Why's she trashy? Because she's in a pencil dress?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That zombie grabbing his arm looks like an elderly person or child saying, "Excuse me sir, can you get something for me?"

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

IDK, the leeches were kinda lame but I really liked the mold monsters.

The stupid millipede neck monsters from 4 and 5 were impossibly lame and yeah yeah yeah 4 is great or whatever, but it's not a horror game. The plagas monsters were just so goofy.

RE0 started the awful tradition of leech/black amorphous enemies in 5, 6 and 7 and that can never be forgiven.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Phobos Anomaly posted:

And RE0 was great.

There's some bad opinions on these forums but god drat.

In other news, I'm working on my Leon A Hardcore run to get S+, everything was going swimmingly until an Ivy grabs me right at the end and I don't have a defense item so I'm hosed. Now I'm back right before the Birkin 2 fight and of course, rather than going through it in one shot I keep dying because the fight is RNG bullshit, but he seemingly can combo you in two hits, something I've never seen before.

I hate this dumb fight, his massive whirlwind attacks on a 2x2 foot platform is just stupid.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t even know why anyone is talking about this, the only group that would care is speed runners and outside of that one glitch there isn’t even a reason for them to care, as dodging zombies is more practical for the main game,

Actually, if you're going for S+ rank runs just to get the Infinite RPG/Minigun you're going to care a whole bunch about this. S+ requires you to haul rear end, and there's room where you won't be dodging or running through zombies without getting some staggers/leg pops. You also won't have the ammo to clear out poo poo as nearly everything is saved for staggers and bosses. There were times where I almost died because things weren't working out and to no fault of my own.

I'm at my last save right before Birkin 3. Do his eyes have random health or something? The leg one always takes 2 shells and the one on the back I can get with 1 shell consistently, but his should eye is a fuckin' crap shoot. Sometimes it'll take up to 3 at point blank and other times it'll just pop in 1.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

In all of my Claire playthroughs I've only found 1 other clip for the Sparkshot, it's good but the lack of ammo makes it feel pointless.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

In Training posted:

Finished Leon A hardcore S+, so I unlocked every infinite weapon except the infinite knife. Is there a nice little map of all the Mr Raccoons? Gonna run through on Assisted with the infinite minigun to do the No Healing achievement alongside it

You're better off using a video, also some of the Raccoons can only be found in Leon's game and some only in Claire's game, also, there's also one cheeky one outside in the bushes at the beginning of the B game. So to get them all, you're looking at 3 partial playthroughs.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Welp, I just learned today that the Lickers have detailed assholes.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CJacobs posted:

Well my point is, the specific Mr X that chases Leon and Claire around is an iconic dude.

Is he really though? I thought in the original he's hardly in the game being segregated to certain runs and rooms and he just served as a rehash of the RE1 Tyrant when fought as a boss.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

These are examples of other Mr.X in the middle of Capcom's 'give us money we don't give a gently caress' phase of churning out endless REs

What the hell is this from?

I'm doing my Claire A Hardcore run trying to get the S+. At this point I've saved right before Mr. X shows up and I just picked up the semi-auto pistol she gets. Should I just completely drop the revolver Claire starts out with? It's small clip size is becoming super annoying to deal with.

Also, several times in this run I've had to put in more than 5 shots into a zombie's leg to get it to come off. Kinda dumb that you have to reload as Claire just to get a leg off and that can cost you a run. Dumb RNG poo poo at it's finest.

edit: The same question was just asked above, what are the chances.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Black August posted:

The laser sight and clip size is nice, but I just let it be a sewer layover until the labs; the upgraded revolver does some serious hurt and gets the hi-grade bonus ammo, plus the fact that the curse of Revolver Ocelot is sometimes too powerful to resist

I completely forgot about the high grade ammo, I think I'd stockpile that for the end game. But are you talking about the B game revolver, because I can't get it? Isn't that what Revolver Ocelot has?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I dunno, like I said there were times where the 5 shots in the Revolver didn't take out a leg and the zombie got too close for comfort because even with the speedloader it takes too long. With certain stubborn legs taking up to 7 shots, I want to be able to dump what I can without reloading.

Phobos Anomaly posted:

SLS 60: Claire's starting handgun. Terrible capacity, reload and steady time. Difficult to use until you get the reloader upgrade. Drop it as soon as you get the JMB. Can be upgraded later to fire magnum rounds, which are useful against G-types.
JMB Hp3: Greater capacity. Laser sight removes steady time completely.
Quickdraw Army: Claire's B game handgun. Fairly strong. Almost zero recoil. Decent steady time. Horrible reload time and capacity, so it's important to make your shots count.

Matilda: Leon's starting handgun. Good all-rounder. Upgrades for clip size and recoil. Incredible once you get the stock upgrade to reduce steady time.
M19: Leon's B game handgun. Slightly weaker than Claire's Quickdraw, but much faster reload time.

Chris's SE: Very accurate, very weak.
Jill's SE: Very accurate, increased crit chance on headshots.
Wesker's SE: More powerful all round, terrible steady time.

Well, guess that settles it.

sigher fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 10, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dewgy posted:

Exact same experience. After RE5 we did a bunch of runs on other difficulties just for S-ranks, and after RE6 we were just like... well, not doing that again for a while.

There's definitely fun to be had with RE6 but the pacing is absolute trash.

I believe I got 100% in RE5 since it was really fun with a friend, but yeah, RE6 was painful to go through. We were considering not even finishing it because there's nothing good about it. The only thing I remember was a zombie chick with huge tits as a boss (with Leon?) and maybe some big T-Rex type thing in China? Dunno. I never want to be reminded of RE6.

Does anyone wish that there was a way to play RE2 co-op? Like, both players are working together, but one is going through the A scenario and the other B. I mean, the whole game would have to be completely redesigned since so much of the A/B scenarios are the exact same, but it would be fun to work together, sharing ammo and co-operating as to who does what seeing as some items would have to be character specific. I honestly just can't get enough of RE2 and want to play it over and over again. Since it's release I've done 7 playthroughs and I still don't mind doing more.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

man nurse posted:

Remember this?

They put it in the game lol. Check the bottom right.

That's fuckin' awesome.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Start at 13:30 to see the trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJqqlyUFp4Q

Kill the fat zombie with the insane health pool then do this.

e: also, if you keep watching, if you do this you can never go to the exterior stairs with fence you meet Claire at /helicopter crash. The game shits itself inside out.

He actually does go to the exterior stairs because he needs the bolt cutter.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

In Training posted:

How do you dodge stair zombies. Theyre my biggest obstacle to beating Tofu mode, twice in a row now I've died to the last zombie in that fuckin stairwell

Go for the legs and run past as soon as they fall over. Stair zombies are the loving worst because if you get caught by one you're eating the damage because for some reason you can't self-defense item if grabbed on stairs. It's really, really dumb.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

In Training posted:

I finally beat it by realizing that you can kill the first licker, trying to dodge/run past always resulted in guaranteed damage for me. Mitigating that alone gave me enough health to say gently caress it and tank the last hit in the map and run for the exit.

These other characters though...jesus lol

Yeah, have fun with the gelatinous fucks, at least two of them are pretty easy but Tofu, Mochi and Annin can be a bitch, especially the former two.

codo27 posted:

Something else as well, I noticed after getting danger'd by the first gas station zombie, that they forgive you and you're back fine again once you're on the street. Any other points in the game that do this for you?

I've been meaning to test out if you get a full heal after the Ada and Sherry parts but I'm not sure if you do. Ada I can see making sense, Sherry not so much.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Seedge posted:

Capcom Sound Team just put a bunch of stuff on Spotify, including the Revelations OSTs and RE2 and 3.

I really wish I could purchase this type of stuff on Amazon digitally, if there was one thing that was made more available is Video Game soundtracks.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Black August posted:

horrible old men in power hurting women and exploiting communities to get off

lol what?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I know Chief Irons, but he said men and no other man in the game is getting off to female misery or what have you, they're doing it for the mighty dollar. Also, isn't Annette half of the reason the G Virus exists?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wanderer posted:

Simmons in RE6 is explicitly a New England zillionaire with ideas, who got as far as he did because he ruthlessly exploited the devotion of a woman who worked for him, up to the point where he had her deliberately reshaped in the image of a woman he liked more than her. In so doing, he drove her so insane with hatred that she decided to burn down the world around him.

The local tribesmen in RE5 had an ancestral claim to the oil fields, but were fast-talked generations ago into taking a deal for not even a fraction of what they were actually worth. They're sitting on what's presumably a significant fortune in oil and mineral rights, but are living as subsistence farmers while Tricell pays foreigners to extract the resources out from under them. Then, just to twist that knife another turn or two, Tricell shows up one day to give them "vaccinations" that are actually the Plaga parasites, which killed all the women and children and turned the men into homicidal maniacs.

There's some disturbingly real-world-adjacent poo poo in this series if you dig down under the global saturation.

Oh he was referring to RE6, not 2, I was confused. Was it really that apparent in 6? I'm glad I have no memories of that game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I've always figured the reason regular zombies were overwhelmingly men were because men get bit, fight the zombie off, and run away then slowly turn, whereas women and children are overpowered and eaten so they don't come back because there's not enough left.

I'm not sure which one is more depressing now.

It was probably done because if there were more females people would complain about it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wanderer posted:

I'd need to go back and look, but most if not all of it's laid out pretty straightforwardly at one point about halfway through Ada's campaign. Carla, the faux Ada who serves as the game's antagonist, began her life as this mousy blonde chick who was hopelessly obsessed with Simmons. He repaid that by slinging her into a machine and 3D-printing her into a clone of Ada, who he was hopelessly obsessed with.

That's fanfic levels of terrible.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Basticle posted:

So uh the ending to tonights supergreatfriend stream sure is amazing.

the madness starts at 2 hours 4 minutes 20 seconds https://www.twitch.tv/videos/379210757

What the hell is even going on? Good god.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Discendo Vox posted:

The game has failed to load most of its assets for the area from memory, so the player winds up locked in the space with all interaction elements failing to load in. Notice that over time even some of the doors stop spawning.

How does this happen? Like, where in the code lies the issue where poo poo just slowly break down over time?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Andrigaar posted:

That's my point though. It's really hard to go back and replay the game when I've seen greener pastures.

This also happened with Monster Hunter games, the series has been adding QOL improvement for 15 years, then MHW comes out and make the older games basically unplayable.

SettingSun posted:

It’s a reverse speed run. Get S+ in the longest legal time.

That would be 2:29:59.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

In Training posted:

GU was a better game than World

It really isn't though.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Nope, 2nd run is on a 2 hour timer.

Well gently caress that then. God drat. Is the B game really that much shorter, or did they just shorten the time to make it a harder challenge?