Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I never played Leon B back in the day so Iím rectifying that mistake right now.

The demo has guaranteed a day one purchase from me I have to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Ulio posted:

One of the reasons, I quit RE remake is because the combat which I didn't understand how it worked. So you shoot the zombies in the head and they go down but they still don't die? So is it better to shoot them a couple more time when they are down? I lost a bunch of health because of them getting back up. The other question I have is, is the knife useful at all? Other than them being on the ground or the first lunge they do, it doesn't do much.

Also are the puzzles in RE simple? I hate puzzles in games that aren't about puzzles.

Basically the gist of it is you have to destroy the head completely or the zombie will revive as a Crimson Head after a short time. The most reliable way is to use the shotgun, wait until theyíre right on top of you, aim up and fire. If you down one without destroying the head you need to use fuel and a lighter to burn the corpse. If you kill multiple zombies and their bodies are right next to each other/on top of each other you can usually get away with using just one portion of fuel.

Obviously itís only worth doing to zombies in areas youíll be traversing frequently as there is a limited quantity of fuel in the game. Also do not try and burn the already downed zombie in the corridor with all the mirrors and stuff, itís a trap.

Anyway, re cover chat.

PAL wins again!

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Finished up Leon B and Mr X wasnít nearly as challenging as I thought he was going to be, especially as the ďfinalĒ boss. That being said the bit in the abandoned factory where you check a security monitor only to see the live feed of him marching towards the camera was really neat.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

So the area with the shower room... looks like there was a fight involving something very big and very strong. Evidence of Jill escaping the Nemesis maybe?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

After having played the gently caress out of OG RE2 Iím now on RE3 and holy gently caress Nemesis is fast. What makes it even more apparent is PSX PAL games ran a bit slower than their NTSC counterparts, and the PSN version is the US one. I remember being scared shitless back in the day hiding in a save room when the comforting save room theme was replaced by tense strings while Nemesis stalked outside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9n0fNnzGcY

Of course it seems sometimes it plays and he never actually appears just to gently caress with you.

If the rumours about an R3MAKE are true then there is some excellent potential.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

poe meater posted:

Yeah nemesis is fast as gently caress. It be interesting to see how they balance him without door transitions.

Iím guessing we will get an idea based on how Mr X works in the RE2make. I imagine there will be some form of stealth mechanic - I.e. gunfire, explosions and key events will act to draw Nemesis to your location, so keep as quiet as possible. Or perhaps it would be more akin to Alien Isolation?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

JBP posted:

I'm sure there will be segments where he goes away or ways to get rid of him for some time. I don't think I could survive emotionally with something chasing me relentlessly for the entire drat game

I expect so yeah. Iíve just had him chase me from the downtown restaurant all the way through the adjoining streets to the press office, and then he pursued me through the press office itself. To top it off when I was running away from the press office with the door still in shot (given he normally wonít appear until the door you came through is out of view) and he drops out the loving air right in front of me. Which then started another jolly chase while I went back to a save room to retrieve an item so I could get through the city hall gates. After which he has finally left me alone.

drat this game is good.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Surprised so many people had ammo trouble in RE3, Iím in the clock tower on hard being chased around by big boy and Iíve stuck to the tried and tested rule of ďkill what you have to and just avoid everything elseĒ and Iím swimming in shotgun shells.

I do wish the ammo crafting, live selection and story variation had persisted beyond this game though, itís really neat.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Raxivace posted:

Ammo crafting is in RE7 and RE2make at least, that's something it seems they're very keen on bringing back.

Good point, I forgot about RE7.

Ugh this goddess clock puzzle can gently caress right off.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

BearPlayingGuitar posted:

I never knew this! Now Iím tempted to do another play through while I wait for RE2make.

Actually I have the PS4 version of REmake that I have never actually got to playing. I grew up watching my mom play the GameCube version so I have some sort of visceral fear reaction to it. Thinking of starting it up this weekend, any tips for someone whoís only ever played the post RE4 style games? I think the rerelease gives updated controls right?

The controls are exactly the same as the GameCube version except you can opt for tank controls or movement relative to the camera, which does make it somewhat easier. You also get quick turn (introduced in RE3) and defensive weapons that are consumables that help you if you get grabbed.

If itís your first OG style RE game I would go with Jill for your first play through as her campaign is a fair bit easier than Chris.

And you grew up watching your mum play this? Christ I feel old.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Remember when it comes to obtaining the handgun from Nemesis you can acquire it via two live selection events. If you [hide in the kitchen] when he shows up during your first meeting with Carlos, and later [use the cord] when he confronts you on the clock tower balcony later on, both selections will take him out and allow you to pick up the parts for the Eagle 6.0 without burning through your ammo. Presumably if you have previously defeated him the selection choices will provide the next reward in line.

The boss fights are a lot harder than in RE2 I have to say. The Gravedigger wasnít so bad but the first mandatory fight with Nemesis was quite tricky due to his speed and relatively confined space. Just about to have the second mandatory fight in the dead factory, Iíll see if this one is as hard as I remember.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Jumping on this bandwagon.

I also strolled into my local shop and put a preorder down, figured Iíd get the preorder bonus as Iím buying it the afternoon it launches anyway. This is literally the first game Iíve preordered in over 8 years.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I know its Reddit but the timing is pretty loving funny and I canít seem to just link to the clip on its own.

https://reddit.app.link/XrXfe2GNNT

Spoiler warning naturally.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Whatís the best way to deal with adult Gís in the sewers as Claire?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

This is a cracking game and Iím really enjoying it, but I have to say Adaís playable section is actually quite aggravating and not a lot of fun. Which is a shame because Sherryís playable section was both creepy and full of nail biting tension.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Just finished Leon A and comparing it with Claire A I found that on paper Leonís arsenal should be better than Claireís in every way just like in OG RE2 but in reality itís just...different. I personally found that Leon has a much easier time dealing with regular enemies, but Claire has a much easier time dealing with bosses and quite noticeably Lickers.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

I don't see any advantage Claire has over Leon in any scenario. Ignoring magnums, the shotgun and flamethrower and the occasional panic knife or grenade are literally all you ever need for a boss and way more than enough for anything you between bosses.

Could just be my perception but I found the boss fights harder with Leon than Claire - and Claire as my first one. Maybe itís the adaptive difficulty in play as I finished Leonís run in half the time and took a lot less damage

https://twitter.com/setzeri/status/992788613778821120

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

I'm pretty sure adaptive difficulty was disproven; every zombo has an individual amount of HP specified.

I was under the impression adaptive difficulty affected resources (I.e. quantity of ammo in a given pickup) than enemy health.

Could be totally wrong of course, too much misinformation out there.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Be honest, itís happened to a few of us.

https://i.imgur.com/3Wo1aF6.mp4

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

DLC Inc posted:

I'm still waiting for the boundary break discoveries of where Mr. X clomps around and if there's actually teleportation fuckery going on. I'd really love footage that follows just Mr. X around for a cycle to see where he stalks and how long it takes him to find someone who's like, just chilling on the roof. I've hidden in a corner of one of the main hall rooms before and heard/saw him go to a handful of other locations first but he always eventually got to me.

I don't doubt that as soon as you start firing your gun, he will get placed closer to your proximity by the game director.

There does seem to be a line of sight requirement for Mr X as well. Thereís been a few times such as in the hall or library where Iíve been in very close proximity to him but he didnít detect me and left to search elsewhere. In all these instances he had no line of sight and I was making no noise.

Thereís also been some instances where Iíve had to fire my weapon several times and immediately put as much distance between me and where I fired shots as quick as possible and he never showed up.

Compare this to Alien Isolation (a game Iím very fond of) and with that it seemed any kind of noise would attract the xenomorphís attention, and could find and kill you regardless of how well hidden you was.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Ok not sure what Iím doing wrong but Iíve got 3 rockets, 1 magnum round, 30 Matilda rounds and 400 flamethrower fuel and the Birkin train boss wonít die. All that seems to happen is I shoot him, shoot the eyeball when it appears, run out of ammo and then get instakilled when he hits the end of the train. If I get in closer to use the knife or something he instakills me. Given itís meant to be a straight forward shoot until it dies fight I feel like Iím missing something really obvious.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I took the Albert Samurai Edge in place of the Matilda and held off firing until the eyeball appeared - it was very close but seemed to do the trick. This is despite actually getting less shots in at the eyeball than previous attempts - which makes no sense. A shame because it turned what should have been a thrilling end to a story into an exercise in frustration.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

The difference between the two regarding sound is that Mr X seemingly doesn't give a flying gently caress about any sort of noise, unless you're the source of it (smashed windows and screeching Lickers apparently don't draw him in from what I can tell). Even when he does show up, he soon gets bored of investigating the area and wanders away into the surrounding rooms and corridors if you're not there to be seen. In Isolation, other survivors and whatnot are bumbling around being noisy dickheads, immediately getting the worst attention before you can even make a mistake of your own but then leaving you to deal with terrible situations against a far more persistent creature which is also impossible to outrun.

In fairness Mr X and the T-103 range are pretty awesome but a xenomorph is, well, a xenomorph. Bioweapon extraordinaire.

After completing scenario B Iíve decided that Claire and Leon hooked up, adopted Sherry and all lived happily ever after, and no one can convince me otherwise.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Funnily enough isnít it canon that the giant spiders were one of umbrellas earlier attempts at a viable BOW and they were scrapped because they were poo poo?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Pierson posted:

So besides this and Alien Isolation are there any other games that tick all the boxes of ultra-atmospheric, limited offensive resources to be managed, being pursued by a huge unstoppable force you can temporarily corral but who will always come back to get you?

Thereís no resource management as itís not survival horror and instead is more a story focused thriller but Iíd strongly recommend SOMA. It combines hard sci fi with horror/body horror and has one of the most thought provoking plots Iíve ever played in a game.

You cannot hurt enemies at all and there are a number that fit the stalking/pursuing mechanic youíre after.

Anyone familiar with ďTerry AkersĒ probably knows what I mean.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Soma is the only game that gave me a feeling of true existential dread, some of the setpieces are just awful mentally.

The ending is one of the most harrowing Iíve ever seen [MAJOR SPOILERS DONT LOOK IF YOU INTEND TO PLAY SOMA]youíre a bunch of computer parts jammed into a dead body with the memories of a man who died a century ago, in a dead facility at the bottom of the ocean on a dead planet, and in a fit of justifiable anger you lost the only companion you ever had, and youíre now all alone. Forever.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The ďmehĒ plot aside, the only thing that stops me from ever wanting to replay RE0 is the astonishingly stupid inventory system. The partner zapping system and the graphics were pretty awesome back in the day on the GameCube, and the voice acting was noticeably better than the games that preceded it. Even back then though the inventory system was a huge drag on the game.

Rebeccaís characterisation didnít meld at all with RE1 either. After the events of RE0 she should be a grizzled hardass in RE1 - Chris should not have to rescue her cowering in terror from a single hunter given sheís already faced numerous hunters and a goddamn tyrant.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature...e&v=AT1Tntk7QU0

This is certainly a thing.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Grenades will stop him as well.

Finished up Claire B earlier today, and itís reinforced what I thought before about Claire over Leon. Youíd think with a shotgun that Leon would do better in combat against common enemies but it just doesnít seem to work that way.

Itís even more more effective in her 2nd run because if you know the codes you can get the SMG and silencer upgrade really early on and go around sawing legs off zombies without making any noise to attract Clompy Boi.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I emptied about 10 rounds into the leg of one of the zombies in the east storage room on the third floor, but instead of severing the leg the zombie just died completely.

Odd.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Phobos Anomaly posted:

Quickdraw Army: Claire's B game handgun. Fairly strong. Almost zero recoil. Decent steady time. Horrible reload time and capacity, so it's important to make your shots count.

Yeah, that reload has led to a few brown trouser moments.

https://i.imgur.com/m5DfDwb.mp4

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Completed a second run of Claire A in 03:00:14 netting me an S rank. Considering my first ever playthrough was Claire and that I got a C with a completion time of over 8 and a half hours I'm pretty pleased with that result. Probably going to have a shot at hardcore mode in the same scenario next as I had a ton of ammo left over (didn't even use the sparkshot), doubt I can manage S+ but if I can even finish the game in hardcore I'll be pretty pleased.

Probably already been said but I'm playing on a normal PS4 and you can use the knife to significantly speed up the fight against G1 right at the very start, it just wont be enough to actually kill him before he grabs you and forces you to switch to normal weapons.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How would Uber, Tesla, and Theranos fare if they tried producing Bio-Weapons like Tyrants and the T-Virus?

Theranos would paint a bodybuilder grey and stick him in a trench coat to pass him off as a working tyrant which fools everyone right up until he gets murked by STARS.

Uber would undercut other bioweapon manufacturers by paying smaller science labs a pittance and making them use their own equipment.

Tesla would would produce working tyrants that cost an absolute fortune and keep stumbling into fire engines and somehow bursting into flame.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

MiddleOne posted:

This does sound very Umbrella.

As far as evil mega corps Umbrella hasnít done so bad really - both the hunters and the tyrants were successful bioweapons and if not for Birkin and Wesker would probably have avoided the destruction of Raccoon City and their subsequent collapse.

Compared to the likes of Weyland-Yutani who burned countless colonies and lives in pursuit of somehow making the Xenomorph into a viable bioweapon, got absolutely nowhere and went out with a whimper before being bought out by Wal-Mart.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

paranoid randroid posted:

except that drat water treatment plant puzzle

that was the worst

That puzzle sucked mainly because of the horrid slow interface. If it used the same mechanic as the electronic gadget in RE2make it wouldnít be so bad.

The one in the gas station can gently caress right off though.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

DeadButDelicious posted:

The water treatment puzzle never really gave me too many headaches once I learnt what I was looking at. Now, the clock tower puzzle with the three gems and pictures? I have never been able to suss what the formula is to figure that out

Oh yeah gently caress that. On my most recent play through it was a lot easier to brute force it as there is only something like 4 potential sequences.

Neat music though.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Sorry if this has been asked before, but are there less hip pouches available on hardcore?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

SettingSun posted:

There are only 3 in Hardcore.

Ah bugger, cheers.

I love as well how Birkin proclaims G as the species that will surpass humanity when all it does is live amongst actual poo poo in the sewers and occasionally produce horrifically malformed offspring.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Regarding Kendo, we donít actually see him die in the remake do we? So we can have Kendo/Burton bro team going to take on Umbrella to avenge the loss of Kendoís family.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

[Edit] - Ignore, phone bullshit didn't work.

Lord Ludikrous fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 6, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

https://i.imgur.com/P62nbv8.mp4

He gon' give it to ya