Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Blind playthrough RE4 has tons of dread. Cabin hold out, chainsaw mooks, boulder and truck death traps, insect ambushes, Salazar's hand boss Mr Xing at you, big fish, claw guys, regenerators, flaming house boss dude, creepy suspended cage boss. Loads of moments where danger appears and you're desperate to survive it before it gets you.

It contrasts nicely with Salazar himself, big goofy robozar chasing you, Kruger being right out of an 80s action flick and my favorite ham in the game when Saddler chastises you for being a biiiig American action hero before becoming the obligatory most mutated last boss. There's a lot of room for a REmake4 to go and I'd trust the current golden age Capcom to do it.

Catching up with this thread as I finally tear into REmake2, on my third run ATM(carbon, frugal, minimal on assisted, at the lab), loving every second. How is RE3? Hear it is a bit short but if it encourages replays it might justify the price to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Bonaventure posted:

I will help you awaken from your world of cliches

[transforms into a giant monster with glowing weak points]

I love Saddler, he's hilarious.

Thanks for the advice, I'm leaning towards RE3 looking like a great $30 game in the future. Still got hardcore runs and survivor to crack into in RE2.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I too love Code Veronica, the time attack mode was great, it had a magic janky super knife and some of the creepy bit pieces really nailed it like the Suspended Doll theme, Nosferatu, the Arctic base and so on. Also thought Alexia was cool as a final boss.

Frugalist, Minimalist and Carbon Footprint in one go as Leon A Assisted. Hall of Shame: Diamond Key, T Tool, Electric Tool all taking up space as I got on that train. Learned the hard way that you can't discard before that check mark. Had a truly harrowing detour in the police station when it turns out you can't discard the replacement keypad keys for any reason. I feel like Hardcore will be a breeze despite all evidence just because I can backtrack, evade/kite enemies in wasteful long paths, juggle items with the box and heal myself again.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

I want to drop one before each of the Birkin fights, but I don't know if I could handle Birkin 3/4 or Birkin 3/Tyrant in one go on this difficulty. I had enough trouble with them on Standard.

IMO Birkin 1 and 3 are the easiest to cheese and Birkin 4 is a much safer and easier fight than Super Tyrant.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The theme of this post is Adagio For Strings.

Playing RE2R on Hardcore Leon A, finishing the police station, X behind me after I get the magnum, opt to loop around the third floor via the library, fresh licker spawns, almost got the first down when tackled, goodbye infinite knife. Juke safely. Save before the crocodile, endure the usual two deaths on him, clear Ada's section and Leon hits the service lift button. Just have to reach a new writer with a box and my extra ribbon or find a new ribbon spawn.

Game crashes.

Really glad this is the training run S before I consider S+ but God drat, God drat.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Meaty Ore posted:

For future reference: if you can ditch Mr. X long enough, aren't afraid of killing Lickers, and care enough about the infinite knife, you can loop back around and get your knife back. Keep going though! S+ is really satisfying once you get it. I managed to finish Claire B with an S+ with just five minutes to spare. I could have saved time if I didn't go for the later two inventory expansions, but I like having the space for some healing items.

I also somehow managed to beat Hunk's scenario. They really do give you just enough to get by. I think I was in Danger with a mostly full handgun and a half-empty SMG clip left after getting past the final bunch of zombies. Tofu is a lot of fun to play as, though I haven't quite managed to beat that one yet.

I did in fact go back for my knife and to get the magnum upgrade. I got an S on Leon at 2:25 with lots of time wasting nonsense and extra resources, even accounting for use of infintie pistol. Lots of healables that rotted in the item box when I needed to start the final elevator. I only used the magnum to finish G3 and not on Super Tyrant at all so ditching the upgrades for it is natural, although I forgot how useful the knife is for G3. It feels doable with an iron clad route and more ah, dodging enemies instead of gunning them down. Using the infinite LMG on Claire A feels like an excellent reward at the moment and will make finding my last lore document cathartic.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Sir Dan is a good fellow and deserved one.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The recent games do not shy away from aggressive inventory management so they won't ignore it at least.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Mr X and his control diodes showed that Umbrella is competent except for all those times they weren't.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

One shots exposed eyeballs on G Adults, very important.

Been deep thinking my S+ routing and taking a RE2 break after about 8 runs in 3 weeks. I guess above all else I'd need to practice juking G Adults to actually reach the spark shot/flamer, which triviliaze them. Other than that I can do the rest and it's route optimization and some execution luck vs double lickers and Super Tyrant.

Best 3 save spots? Thinking Leon Sewers Before Croc(mandatory, I always need a warm up run or two to remember the third juke), G3, Supes(mandatory, my worst boss.) Claire would probably be Orphanage (easy, but sometimes janky, like how you start the chase facing Irons and instinctively want to hold forward, or the last hall of the chase), G3, ???. G4 is super easy for me. G2 and G3 can be tricky at times but heal tankable.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

20-30 flamethrower ammo will light a G-Adult on fire and while on fire the DoT cancels their grab mid animation and they'll release you, making the run by and the return to the U-Door super easy no matter how many you left up.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Ethan being infected seems unlikely or part of the soft plot holes Capcom played fast and loose with. RE7 is great but not perfect. Like Lucas is supposed to be immune to Eve's mind control, but she never tests or notices? And good thing he had the physical infection and regenerated Jack chopping his hand off at the start. It's easy to never see the foot chop scene(I didn't on first blind playthrough) and Ethan gets a hand wave on his hand being repaired off screen at the start so you don't have to play with a gameplay limiting handicap. Like was he infected to regenerating qualities from less than an hour in a house adjacent to one of the two main infection sites? More likely it's a video game necessity.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

True, but it is never confirmed and Eve really misses out on not mind controlling Ethan if he's infected. Also canonically all the RE protags never take truly fatal wounds/infections even if you the player eat foot long claws to the chest and regenerate it by snorting some herbs. I just took the super medicine and limb antics as a series staple for the former and setting a harder tone for the latter, while still letting you play the game without actually risking permanent disability.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

That makes sense and syncs with the timing of the hand repair, which works better with infection regeneration now that I reconsider. The only hole left is the states of varying infection. Jack and Marguerite get sick or fully possessed within hours(DLC) and well, the shenanigans of the Zoey ending choice.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

43 minutes to go from start of Claire A to first save in the Orphanage on S+, right before the chase. This makes 2nd save at the start of NEST and 3rd save before G3 or even G4 options. Planned my run with a rewatch of Bawkbasoup's speed run from 2019. I mean if he needs less than an hour, that gives my clumsy rear end an entire extra hour to pause and kill things!

Heart pounding from the increased tension. Hopefully I can one shot to NEST cleanly because this save will be Irons chase -> parking lot to Orphanage -> Sewers every time, but really all that can kill me is G Adults. I actually grabbed the items for the STARS badge but my clock tower run was going so badly I forced it to see if I'd survive and I did, ignoring the STARS office. Guess I can box it!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

1:22 and second Save at the start of NEST! I guess the hardest part is expecting any zombie to behave reliably, especially on Hardcore. Heal tanking through lots of bites after failed stumbles blows. Luckily I am not actually a dedicated speed runner and had time to take the lift back to the PD and get the sub machine gun, which made G2 far easier than he could have been. I actually got through two of the G-Adults with grenade rounds, easy spark shot kills on two more on the way out. With 3 flame rounds for must-down plants and loads of SMG bullets for old fashioned temporary downs this feels pretty doable. 12 Sparkshot rounds for G3. But really, my heart soars to have only done the whole Orphanage-> Parking Lot run once.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Took my time in the lab aside from a few practiced quick cuts like the cafeteria. Thoroughly stun-locked plants, used flame rounds liberally if I had to go back through the area before I left the room(getting the ID bracelet, Claires extra spawns on A rank), used the gunpowder for extra acid rounds to blow away double licker. Saved before G3, very wise, died to G3 because boy can he close fast when you're trying to finish the last 3 tics of a spark shot. G4 was a pure victory lap.

Now to briefly plan the Leon A S+.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks, the worst parts were probably juking zombies, especially after getting bit down to Danger from failed jukes and still needing to get by. Heart jumped when they made the Going-Fast Shriek and Lunge. I finished the run with a lot of ammo and time so I think I'll be pausing to unload more often as Leon. The only thing left to dread is Croc-Ada-Sewer-G2-Nest crashes and fighting Super Tyrant in general.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

48:30 with Leon A saving before the Croc. It's a good time for blundering around and getting extras but drat does playing as Leon feel cursed compared to Claire. Extra zombie back grabs all around, worst window spawns, all jukes failing, first try was a death to G1(!!!), hosed up the prison flash and dash and got decked by X but hey, one zombie grab, one dagger and I was able to get out the old fashioned way and save the run, would have been a tragedy to die right next to save point 1. Just have to clear the Croc to G2 gauntlet in one go with customary field trip back to RPD for the magnum.

In a change from the usual had a blessed X-free period from the Club Key to the Library Tool and into the Library to move the shelves. It's usually a question of prayer or forcing X to kneel so I can push the shelves at all. Was even able to walk by the Club Door Licker both ways.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Leon A S+ reaching NEST at 1:30. Not proud of that, I expected that going back to the RPD for the magnum/upgrade is greedy, I decided to be greedier and get the spare keys item pouch in the armory, but really, this was an enormous routing goof and a lack of experience(or a dislike for) with Leon's route. I took the first floor route to the parking lot halfway before realizing that didn't lead to the interrogation room(needed the box) and even forgot to go to the STARS office after getting the second spare key at the linen room. I still have an hour to clear NEST and I'm now well overloaded with weapons for G3 but drat that's 5-10 minutes of bumbling.

I'll take this outcome though since it was a clean one shot. Even juked a pair of G-Adults properly!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

hey-heeeeey. Had some hilarity getting there. Lab was effortless, saved before G3, very wise, crashed on my first start of G3, died to G3 because I didn't over-prepare on knives and he showed me his jump and OHKO I've never seen before in his last phase, actually had a crystal clear Super Tyrant kill. In that it was a one shot with 3 full heals used but aggressively unloading into his chest with the shotgun to force faster timer worked well. The speed runner strat of hanging out near his left arm and dodging forward as he attacks is much harder than it looks. My hard earned experience with Hardcore S A/B taught me to preemptively grenade him if he stops for any reason, my final flash interrupting him mid charge animation. Very fun stuff, I've run the game like 10 times in a row now and enjoyed every trip.

So believe it or not I haven't cracked into Hunk, Tofu or Ghost Survivors much. Got a blind one shot of Runaway, died 3 times as Kendo. I guess I wanted to meticulous plan routes and run them sequentially before I started learning 4 new odd routes, the gauntlet games feel a lot different than the main routes. Clear Hunk +5, clear Kendo and Other Hunk, hunt down 10 more Raccoon Figures, clean out the Ghost Survivor records and that's a perfect 100% game. RE2Remake really is a gem.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Pretty much. The Mine ruins Molded really fast if they weren't there for you already.

Got through the Mr X room and past everything but the G Adult on Forgotten Soldier without any ammo left, died there to chain grab even when he was nice enough to just poison me. Also had a zombie do a quick 180 to grab me as Hunk. Really tilting stuff, but I can see how to finish Soldier on my next try. Got Kendo done, 10 raccoons. Only thing keeping me going is gun shop jams.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Cleared Forgotten Soldier within 5 attempts total, including limping to the exit in Danger status after gunning everything but the full armor guys down. Very proud of dodging Mr X in that super tight kiting test chamber.

FINALLY got both routes of No Time to Mourn tonight. loving elated because I never have to use the God forsaken G-Adults route again. Once you know the perfect solution to them they're the easy part, even if "3 G Adults in a row" sounds like a death sentence or ammo black hole. But the loving janky ivys? 4 runs lost tonight to grab and die. Learning that the Ivy in the control room spawns on the right side of the room even if he usually ends up on the left. Learning that Ivy ignores flash in the last hall. Getting bitten in the last hall and rising in danger, poison, way clear but just one Ivy bulb between me and freedom and COUGH COUGH gently caress YOU PLAYER. It'd almost be tolerable if that one control room door wasn't so god drat horrible. My successful run? I used my hard saved Flash meant for the sweet release at the end just to get by that room cleanly!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Christ. After that learning Hunk and No Way Out will be almost relaxing. The S+ runs were soothing compared to nailing these gauntlets when they're janky.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Got Hunk down in 4 tries, you've really got a generous amount of resources once you lock down when to spend grenades and such. That leaves No Way Out + 60 Bullets. Dunno about Tofus. Gave it a blind run, got to the library in the RPD, really getting tired of Run, Pray, Dodge speed running tactics.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Ya know I really thought I could get everything down by sheer daily effort but I just had a successful 60 Handgun run ruined because the flamethrower didn't register contact, deal damage or start fires at horde 40. I'm talking emptying 300 fuel into 4 zombies in a line and the kill counter not moving for ten seconds straight. Now I'm gonna just infinite handgun through the whole thing, get that last cheevo and uninstall. You were a good game RE2Remake until all the times you weren't.

When's the RE3Remake sale?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

$40 sounds fair for a guy who did most of 100%ing re2r and intends to replay re3r a few times, give resistance a few inquisitive tries.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

RE5 is solid with a friend for a one and done.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

RE3R is better than I expected and feeling pretty good at the $40 point, as I feel myself planning to rerun it already. There are some clunky bits and yeah, the linearity is really there. What I like most is the spirit of Nemesis they carried over from the original, he really will just sprint straight to you and throw a donkey punch, it is hilariously terrifying and a nice new challenge to deal with. I miss defense weapons a lot, especially since the zombies are faster and more likely to lunge or even 180 lunge.

I could feel the despair and wasted potential of the clocktower/waterfront as I moved through..

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The prospect of RE7 with RE2R and RE3Rs better combat experience in the engine is pretty exciting.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

codo27 posted:

I didn't get my leg chopped off though when was that sposed to happen?

First Jack chase after the family dinner scene. I think he either has to be too close when you try to get into the crawl space or you have to play really poorly and let him damage you too much. I've avoided it every time so far.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I'd say something pithy about not buying video games at launch or for full price as the frugal old man I am but Capcom makes Monster Hunter too and MH Gen 6 will probably be on the PS5, checkmating me soundly. I will enjoy RE8 as well.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Finished RE3R and really feeling that missing clock tower/water front plaza as a fleshed out area with exploration, a puzzle and a second Nemesis chasing set up. Dog Nemesis wasn't worth fighting twice, lets do the acid bath gimmick fight against form 1 Nem. Nest 2 is a bit of a let down. There was a lot to like and I'll give it replays but man, remake 3 needed another six months to bake. I'd be mad if I spent the full $60 and wasn't such a big fan of remake 2.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Dumb question about rE3make. If I take the time to shoot the zombies locked behind fences and poo poo, does it keep them from spawning later or just add to my kill count/points?

Nah, all the fresh spawns are inserted directly. If there's supposed to be 4 zombies in a street during a specific point or Nemesis chase they will be there.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

That might be the one exception, everything else is pretty direct about teleporting enemies in.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I started my "hardcore" R3R run with infinite assault rifle and cleared the fences before they fell, at which point the scripted guys were back on their feet anyway. That answers that.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

fellas I might be late to the party here but I think Nightmare/Inferno Nemesis 3 might not be a very good boss!!!

oh well *pitches 100% game into the bin* please don't make Saddler RE4R into a joyless slog, that is my kokoro wish. it was so fun to fight that guy I'd practice doing it with the knife/hand gun, unwittingly training myself for future RE titles in 2020.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 20, 2020

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Jill: "I hate every zombie I see, from T-Virus to Virus G! No, you'll never make a monster out of me!"

Giant Umbrella logos are stripped down to reveal Resident Evil 5 dummy corps, Jill inexplicably rips her RE3 top and skirt combo and a wig off to reveal RE5 bodysuit.

Jill: "Oh my God, I was wrong! Wesker's alive all along! Oh you've finally made a monster!"

Dancing chorus line of monsters, antagonists: "Yes we've finally made a monster!"

All: "You've finally made a monster out of meeeeee!"

Jill: "I love you, Chris Redfield!"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The entire Wesker arc is caused by Chris laughing at Wesker and og Tyrant in RE1.

"Wesker, you're pitiful!"

"Chris, stop it!" I worked really hard on this ultimate lifeform and betraying all of you!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

It's the primary difference in polish and level design. You can feel a lot of little absences and missteps when you play 3R and they all add up. RE3R does a lot, A LOT more clunky or downright hacky scene transitions, including the single worst QTE in the entire series, just a total joke like you have an inexperienced new developer trying his hand at it. The game is so linear you're not allowed to rotate the camera to look backwards during many "hold W to live" sections. You're teleported around a lot to keep things on a straight line, you can see wide spreads of areas that might've added some depth to the location if they weren't blocked off, Nemesis has ONE free chase sequence that is faithfully true to the original before scripted/boss arenas only and the higher difficulties are just terribly done. I really don't like the design of the end game shop, there's no point to buying sequence breaking items in a 99% linear game and the infinite ammo weapons rapidly destroy any thinking or engagement because they count for S Ranks. Even the Infinite Knife in 2R had a lot of thinking associated with it, including those amazing emergent gameplay scenarios where you have to use it for defense and weigh whether or not you can get it back.

There's so much fine execution, planning and pure reaction time to speed running 2R and in 3R you can't fail if you hold forward and shoot your infinite rifle. "Ah, but don't use the infinite weapons!" 3R also has a heavier emphasis on combat but purely linear design so you're given enough ammo to clear the game twice over, you honestly cannot fail unless you miss/waste a majority of your shots. It's like the entire sewer gauntlet with the hunter gammas: what could be some tense and interesting set ups is using the grenade launcher to calmly one shot each hunter as it emerges. Where's the consideration of supplies, a series tenet? Even though the 2R sewer is very similar(you face 4-5 G Adults in a short span, usually blocking your direct path) it has a lot more going on in considering your ammo on hand, your routes and the dodges you feel confident pulling off, not to mention the area feels much bigger in your first blind run. Rewarding clean evasions with a strong weapon to make the return easier was sublime. If the 3R sewers were aiming for a cool, tense scenario they'd need an actual simple maze, maybe give you 2 battery packs and doors you can use to evade hunters at a cost of having to figure out how to get at least one pack so you can leave/get goodies, capping at 2 grenade rounds + craftables for 2 more, reducing grenades to really good damage instead of OHKOs. Something besides the straight line. Hell, put the grenade launcher behind the majority of the gammas.

A shame because the good stuff is pretty good. The drain deimos area, hunters, the Nemesis fights overall(aside from the last one), that first Nemesis chase, working paleheads into the Nest 2 area, the hospital where incentive to rerun it as Jill is consideration the rest of the game needed in level design. Have a second free-roam Nemesis section in the clock tower and it would've been right behind 2R. $40 was my tipping point to try it and I had the strong biases of being really into 2R and having money to burn. 3R kept me entertained for 16 hours across full difficulty clears but it just isn't as good in the end.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

after 2 knocked it out of the park with Mr X didn't the director of 3 say "Oh poo poo. They made a better Nemesis than our Nemesis."

They're doing different jobs, Mr X and Nemesis. Mr X adds a predictable, slow advancing but unerringly advancing wall of doom. His presence in footsteps and the possibility of his appearance adds amazing spice to a good dish. Once you're too familiar with him he's actually almost friendly by himself.

Nemesis 1 is really faithful to the original RE3. He isn't a wall of doom, he is death itself. He will catch you, he will cut you off, he will attack you and it is hard to predict and dodge. He will ruthlessly end your game and is a hearty meal in and of himself. You're never safe until he is kneeling or face down(RE3). The problem is the dinner ends at the appetizer. Flamethrower is a great boss fight that encompasses everything good about his design. The first part is actually the safest but you instinctively do not want the fire to touch you at all. The second part is fast, dangerous attacks at predictable intervals with short counter gaps set at 10/10 intensity. Mr X doesn't do this stuff until Super Tyrant and imo ST is a weak fight (for RE2), especially the OHKO.

RE3R made a choice somewhere(or loving deadlines) to intro Nemesis right, let you play tag with him in a great implementation of old spirit of design, shiny modern engines, then makes most of your time with him come down to less interesting boss fights and a few bad cutscenes(between the average or better ones), culminating in the worst of Death Blob design we've seen since RE7(G5 isnt a real fight either, honestly.) An ultimate tentacle Nemesis ala a fast, dangerous entity like Saddler or OG Dog Birkin would've been perfect, one final chase.

Spergin' about my favorite stalker enemy designs itt but I played RE3 like ten times at time of release and over the two years after. PS started Revelations 1 today and the Genesys makes me sad, mad.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 5, 2020