Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
So I've deliberately stayed away from this thread up until now, because I am old and play games slowly now (old enough that I played the original when it was brand new.) I have now beaten Leon A, Claire A, No Time to Mourn, and am about halfway through Runaway and Leon B, respectively.

Holy poo poo, even in the remake so much of this game revolves are pure memorization of ideal routes and techniques. Leon A was my first and I pulled it off with some stupid thing like 12-15 deaths (thanks Ada section, thanks bullshit final battle instant-kill.) Completion time right around 8:30. By contrast, Claire A I finished in about 4:15 and with probably 2-3 deaths. So, so, so much of it is just learning where things are, both in terms of enemy and item placement - Mr X chased me into an awful lot of Lickers in Leon A, while in Claire A I managed to avoid fighting those bastards almost completely.

I can't complain - this game is pretty much EXACTLY what I wanted in nearly all respects and I have enjoyed the poo poo out of it. It is still mildly demoralizing to fire up youtube after completing No Time To Mourn in 4 attempts and finally finishing with a clear time of 16 minutes.... only to see a particularly bored-looking speed runner complete it in four minutes and sixteen seconds.

Seriously though.... barring Ada's section and Mr X's instant kill, as I mentioned, I have had zero complaints. The level of detail that went into this game probably makes it the most beautiful I've ever seen with regards to graphics. The character animations, voice acting, the places where they changed the plot or characterization slightly so that it would make more sense... it's all just picture perfect. I even find myself admiring some of the smallest of details, sometimes, like the way the flood lights played off Leon and Ada during their confrontation in the lab, or the way Claire's voice rang and echoed off the walls while she was talking to Annette in the Birkin 3 room.

As for balance, well.... To be honest I've always despised Adaptive Difficulty, because I hate it when a game holds my hand - when I win a fight I want it to be because I pulled it off, not because the developers decided to take pity on me. Still, it's a relatively minor thing as the influence of AD in this particular entry seems fairly minimal, and the balance is pretty great otherwise with regards to enemy toughness and item placement. It's hard, but not punishingly so.

Still, regarding Mr X's instant kill and Ada's section in the sewers? I wish when the game gave you that "switch to easy mode" prompt, there were actually three options: Yes, No, and Tell The Developers To Go gently caress Themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
There's one big time RE streamer who played a REmake 2 mod that replaced all enemies with Nemesis (reskinned, re-sounded Mr X). It was pretty ridiculous, especially in the beginning when he was being chased through the streets before the station by a good dozen Nemeses, all ranting and raving about STARS.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

It still blows my mind that some random dude is basically making this completely free add on that Capcom could easily charge $20 for. I’d rather buy a randomized than get Ghost Survivors for free.

I mean.... the Ghost Survivors are still fun... Don't sell them short. No Time to Mourn makes me particularly happy. The way the remake rewrote him made me feel really sorry for Kendo, and I was happy I got to give him a (somewhat) happy (alternate reality, what-if, didn't-actually-happen) ending.

Seriously though, I actually kinda liked that twist of the Ghost Survivors. How they are all people who canonically died, and the game just decided to have fun with "what if" scenarios for if things had played out just slightly differently...

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

Now Lickers, I'd just deal with every goddamn Licker that crosses your path, or you *will* run into a situation later where it's just hanging around like an rear end in a top hat in a room where you don't have time to be screwing about avoiding him.

Now see, this is funny to me. My first playthrough of the game, lickers caused me some serious pain. On my second, I had figured out that it was possible to just completely avoid almost every single one of those little bastards and not waste the time, health, or ammo to fight them.

But yes, I do get your point. On my third playthrough I did eventually gently caress up and have Mr X corner me in a hallway with them, and that is one hell of a losing situation. Still, I am generally a much bigger fan of avoidance.

On the note of my third playthrough, I am actually still on it - I got really busy for a while, then really sick for a while, but I'm finally about thirty to forty-five minutes from done with Leon B. Man.... thus far my impression of the B scenario is "incredibly punishing early on, but really mostly easy once you hit the parking garage." The increased zombie density, much earlier appearance of Mr X, and swapped puzzles caused me a lot of early problems. But once I got through those initial encounters, it seems.... actually kinda easier than the A route, further on down. Though part of that really may be just that enough repetition is eventually sinking in and I'm making better overall decisions.

They did a great job rewarding skillful play - I had a particularly fun moment last night where I needed to move the bookshelves in the library, but I could hear Mr X tromping around nearby and I had mostly avoided killing anything in the room early - there were three zombies, all just ready and waiting for me to fire off gunshots that Mr X would hear. Still, I noticed that two of them were just kinda blankly staring off into space when I entered, and one was eating a corpse.... so instead of trying to clear them out and then frantically push things before X showed up, I very carefully, very quietly went up the stairs and routed allllll the way around them. Walking rather than running so they wouldn't hear me, and then coming down the ladder and moving the shelves without ever tipping them off that I was there - and by extension, not alerting X either. The entire time, I was certain I was just running up the clock and they would spot me long before I got the shelves moved.... but somehow, it paid off. Felt pretty good.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Also, I'm surprised to hear people talking about flame rounds. Aren't lickers specifically weak against acid rounds? I don't have too much time clocked fighting lickers as Claire, but I distinctly remember popping them with one on a couple different occassions and seeing them immediately flip over stunned for a couple of seconds.

Claire is definitely the far more suited of the two characters for fighting lickers, that's for drat sure.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Shooting a licker still pisses it off, yeah, but I've seen a vid on youtube of a guy firing the silenced SMG near lickers. It agitates them, but they don't go into attack mode. Like they know you're there, but not where you are exactly.

How useful that is is debatable, of course.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Yeah, I finally just finished Leon B last night and only just now realized that I did not fight a single licker the entire time. Not a one.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I finished up Leon B and Claire B over the weekend. All four stories complete, yay! Progress!

I also fired up a session in Hardcore just because the game is weird about saving Records sometimes, and I noticed it updates the logs of which records you've viewed if you load a game. I had no intention of actually playing and was just half-assing it, but jesus CHRIST. The very first zombie in the gas station ate all 10 of my handgun rounds without going down, and one bite instantly brought me down to Danger. I kind of want to S-rank this game, but my God.... it's intimidating. As much as I've improved, I still only finally beat Claire B in something like three hours, twenty minutes. The idea of getting sub two-hours sounds like it'd require some serious forethought before the run even starts, much less on Hardcore. And man, even reading the requirement description on something like Frugalist or Minimalist makes me wince...

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Yeah, I just finished my first S+ mode run, though it was Leon A on Standard. It's a completely different game when instead of painstakingly exploring and being startled / unnerved by everything, you're instead.... sprinting nonstop from objective to objective and drowning in ammo because there's really no need to kill anything when you know exactly which hallways you'll be coming back through and which you won't. Honestly, there's pretty much no reason to kill anything once you know the layout well enough; it usually takes more effort to slow down long enough to kill something than it does to just stun it and move on, and there are almost no rooms you need to enter more than, say, three times at max. Ivy Zombies are like the quintessential example; why bother killing them (which takes like a minute) when a single well-placed pistol shot stuns them more than long enough to slip by?

That being said I still only pulled 2:27. It's progress, but I'm going to have to up my game again if I want to S+ hardcore. Still having a blast, though. At this point, the game has completely switched from horror to action. Funny how it transforms as you figure out what you're doing.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Convex posted:

Quick tip: you can move multiple bookcases at once. You should only have to move two of them to complete the puzzle

Edit: two snipes in a row :v: here's a video to make up for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H4ZoNrjZcc

I watched that video, and it was mildly entertaining by itself. I briefly noticed the comments before I clicked away, though, and was way more amused than I should have been.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Pretty sure they would have to reskin the Code Veronica knife as a Warhammer 40K chainsword, if they ever remade it.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Honestly, one of the biggest annoyances about Code Veronica to me was the self-destruct sequence that literally did not destroy anything. (The Island self destructing and then also being completely intact when Chris visits it later.)

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Sherry was always at most inoffensive?

Sherry in the original RE2 just kind of existed. She wasn't good or bad, she was a plot device. And she was a pretty okay one.

In Remake, I really don't know whether to laugh at Sherry or feel sorry for her. She's got so much "PLEASE LOVE ME" going on, it's equal parts pathetic and amusing.... but also really sad and hosed up because, yeah. She is absolutely justified in acting like that given her backstory, and the interactions we see between her and Annette.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Night10194 posted:

At least Mr. Douglas was cool, too. There was a lot of good supporting cast in PE.

What always struck me as weird about PE as a series compared to RE is how reasonable most of the people Aya works with are. Like, people pretty quickly accept 'only she can get close to certain problems' and then just get to working out how they can help her do that. The villains are just as batshit snooker loopy, as are the situations, but all the people in them generally act surprisingly competently and professionally.

For the most part I would agree, but I remember one thing always bothering me in the first game: The American helicopter pilots that remind you the story was written by a Japanese guy. While it's not at all unreasonable to expect American pilots to be willing to sacrifice their lives to give Aya a shot at bringing the enemy down once and for all, I always thought they were way, way too sanguine and accepting about it, in the kind of way you often see in Japanese media but which I don't think Americans would be quite so stoic about.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The absolute best thing about Parasite Eve 2 is near the endgame.

You are being hunted through the evil shelter by mass produced super soldiers armed with gunblades and you escape just in time to see a literal army of them outside. Then the military shows up and kills them all because it turns out if Aya can shoot them so can anyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QptybD4UhJM

I just enjoy that for once in all of fiction military backup shows up and actually just kills all the stuff.

It wasn't microtransactions, just creepy costumes that got damaged into fetish.

Yeah.... the golems are some nasty customers, ingame you have to put a lot of ammo into them to bring them down and even in the cutscene you see one of them get hit by like.... a good 10 rifle rounds before it drops. But they're melee enemies, engaged in long-range combat, with an entire company of Marines. The marines can more than spare ten rounds per golem, and they do. You almost feel sorry for the drat things, considering how easily they get cleaned up. It's not even really portrayed as a fight so much as a one-sided slaughter.

They even have a good excuse for not showing up until they do; at first, the presence of the monsters is unconfirmed. Then later, it's implied that the FBI is trying to keep a low profile while they investigate and not encourage the bad guys to pull a rabbit by immediately sending in ALL of the big guns.

Backhand fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 19, 2019

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Spalec posted:

The voice acting in the Original RE is so bad, it rolls round back to being awesome. How did that even happen? The pauses and intonation the actors use is so far off how any human would talk.

And of course, "There are Terrible demons. Ouch :geno:"

I wonder if any of those actors ever did anything else. I read a rumour that they were literally the first people to respond to the advert who vaguely fit the look of the character.

My favorite was always Jill meeting Enrico in the tunnels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp27EkZTHdE

"Is that Jill?"

"Is that voice... Enrico's?"

"... Yeah."

Just the way he pauses before saying it, like he's trying to figure out if she's screwing with him or not since he's about ten feet away and speaking clearly. It always randomly struck me as hilarious.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Because don't worry, he's got this.

Revelations 2 was a pretty solid game.... not amazing, but solid. But my God, Barry in that true ending finale. It is just peak 80s action movie hero scene and the entire thing is ]glorious.

"Are you sure you don't need me, Dad?"
"You're my daughter, I'll always need you. But for now.... I have this!"

Not to mention how he decides to take on the final boss in a showdown despite the fact that by that point, he could easily just hop on the chopper and leave at any point. Oh no, Barry Burton ain't half-assing this ending. There's a giant monster to be shot and by God, the man is going to shoot it. Up close and personal.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

yeah there was a guy who came in here before and poo poo his pants over how capcom shouldn't bow down to the SJWs and change it.

I think the whole crossdressing angle would be very difficult to handle without pissing SOMEONE off. Remove that aspect of their characters and you're silencing / whitewashing / whatever trans people; don't remove it, and you're villainizing them (since Alfred is literally a villain.) Maybe if they also made Steve a crossdresser or something to balance out the scales.... Ugh. I don't want to think about this anymore.

Honestly, there was so much wrong with Code Veronica that I think it would be a very, very hard game to save. Not impossible.... but very hard, to the point where I'm not sure if it'd be worth the effort.

As for RE3? I never liked Nemesis as much as most people seemed to; he never really felt threatening to me. Yeah, he's indestructible, but usually way too easy to dupe, and once you're good enough at the game he's just an outright loot pinata. I'd be onboard for REmake 3, but I don't think I'd anticipate it like I did 2.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

He's not even trans. He has Videogame Split Personality Syndrome and actually thinks he is his sister, or channeling her, or something stupid like that. Honestly, the entire thing was kind of hosed up and uncomfortable from the beginning for a number of reasons, and trans issues don't even necessarily have anything to do with it at all.

Eh, fair point. Having watched Psycho for the first time about a year ago, maybe I completely misread the intent of Alfred. I always thought he was supposed to be "creepy transvestite" as a kid but maybe the whole point was actually an homage to Norman Bates. Bates was a legitimately insane and unsettling villain.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
That's.... actually kinda clever and seems more and more possible the more I think about it. Kind of a shame it's wasted on Alfred if so, however; the most unsettling thing about Bates is that he comes off as a totally sane, reasonable, level-headed guy at first blush. Even a good one. Once you get to know him it becomes obvious he's got some real issues, but the full depths of his insanity don't become apparent for a while.

Alfred is transparently evil and crazy as hell right from the get-go, so that doesn't really work.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Rejigging the bosses in RE2 Remake was a good thing for gameplay. Purists will cry and declare the game a sin against what made RE2 great, but who loving cares. RE2 '98 ain't going anywhere anyway. I mean yeah it makes less sense canonically when you have to blap the gently caress out of the same thing twice (which is something they probably could have weaved the story around) but at least this time it's not "2nd Run deals with everything".

Laughably, despite facing more bosses (even T-103 gets an extra show), Leon B was so much easier than Claire A in RE2 '98 that it was a loving joke. The first encounter with T-103 is a bit "woah hold on son" but everything after that is just "ah gently caress off" with every boss affair.

Claire felt a LOT easier in REmake 2 than Leon did. Birkin G1 and G3 are both weak to acid grenades and if you forgo the stock, it only takes one inventory slot. Which is pretty reasonable since almost every fight in the game takes place at very close range and all the stock does is improve accuracy. The SLS gives you a full-powered magnum and decent handgun in a single inventory space. The Spark Shot is extremely effective against G-Adults. The SMG's greatest strength, honestly, is that it can be skipped completely - and since it and its upgrades are out of the way it saves you a good bit of time and ammo to do so. And since you don't fight Mr X in the lab, you don't need to hoard grenades to stagger him with, leaving you free to use them as you please.

Leon's shotgun makes zombies VERY easy for him once he has enough ammo, but otherwise only his magnum felt amazing and ammo for that was super limited.The flamethrower melts G2 and Ivies, but you've got to get uncomfortably close to G2 to use it effectively and with Ivies.... a single well-aimed handgun bullet, shotgun blast, or defense item works just fine too.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

I found that no amount of grenades could beat Birkin Stage IV for Claire. And I could never hit him enough times with the mini gun before he got too close or it started to run low on ammo. The only way I made it through that fight was with the SMG.

Once I got serious about S+ ranking Hardcore and getting Minimalist, I looked up some of the research on behind the scene stats in this game.

Birkin G4 is a special case; he and Super Tyrant do not have conventional health bars. No amount of damage actually kills them. Instead, the Super Tyrant fight automatically ends after an invisible timer finishes counting down... although, every time he staggers, the timer speeds up, to a maximum of three staggers.

Birkin G4 is entirely tied to the eyeballs in his rib cage; he dies once enough eyeballs have been popped, period, regardless of how many times he actually gets shot anywhere. The grenade launcher grenades only pop eyes on direct hits, I believe, so they are terrible against him. Frag grenades, on the other hand, instantly pop ALL of his currently spawned eyes if they land right at his feet while he's standing.

And yeah, Birkin G5 has more HP than God but takes a stacking damage increase debuff the closer he gets to you. By the time he's right up in your face it's some really dumb number like +1600 percent.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Richard is not sexy enough to be playable.

Although, Kendo did get his turn in the spotlight (very briefly) in Ghost Survivors, so who knows...

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I finished getting all Steam achievements for this game last night. Overall, a really fun ride. I loved almost every second of the game.

I'm tempted to go all the way and get all of the game's internal Records, too.... all I've got left are Genius Chemist and all the Tofu Survivor ones, for the main campaign, and I'm so close I almost wanna just say gently caress it and get them all while I'm at it. But man, "One Hell Of A Sheriff" over in the Ghost Survivor records can kiss my rear end. I can only imagine how much 'fun' that one is.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

X not being able to follow you in safe rooms and certain puzzle rooms is perfectly understandable but it would be pretty interesting if he could. You'd either have to outrun him or sneak around so he doesnt find you.

Plus the X sections are pretty short so it wouldnt be too bad. Maybe an alternate difficulty setting.

The clock tower room was fun for me, on that note. I knew about save rooms but had no idea X couldn't follow you in there. So my first time playing, I could hear him tromping around just outside and I was loving tip-toeing around that room SO quietly...

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Yeah, I forgave RE4 for the instant death quicktimes because it was really the first game of its generation to mess with them and it did so many other things right that I could look past it. I despise quicktime events, especially instant death ones, but okay.

Then they kept trying to copy the RE4 formula, and kept copying instant death quicktime events with it.... and I got less and less forgiving, since I only ever saw them as a mistake to begin with.

EDIT: Although it bizarrely gave me hope for the future of Capcom when they released RE6 on the PC and added an option to disable the quicktime events. I was like, "Holy poo poo, they actually listened for once!"

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I am running out of things to do in this game; of all the records, I'm down to a single one of the Tofu Survivor ones, Genius Chemist, and One Hell of a Sheriff. Genius Chemist should be easy, I just need to take the time to do it and I haven't yet. The pistol-specced tofu seems like kind of a pain, but I'm sure it'll just take a couple of tries (man, ivies and G-adults become a LOT scarier when they're mixed into huge packs and you don't have any defense items). One Hell of a Sheriff, though.... man, I'm not even sure I want to try that. My first time beating First Survivor, I think I used like 250 handgun bullets. 60 seems.... punishingly difficult.

I guess I could also S+ Hardcore Leon, as I've only S+ed Claire at the moment. Got the minigun but not the rocket launcher. It's not an achievement, but I think it's about time I got a true challenge again. I get the feeling Leon's time requirement will be a lot harder to meet than Claire's was, as the machine gun is safely skippable for Claire and saves you a lot of time but Leon really NEEDS the magnum.

I'll be a little sad to be done with this game, but next in my cue is Devil May Cry 5. Sweet, sweet Capcom classics brought back to glory all around!

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

redreader posted:

Turns out the pc version of RE3 is <edited out files stuff>. It gave an option 'easy' or 'hard'. I selected easy and started with an assault rifle. Surely that's cheating? Or is that a normal thing that happens?

edit: wiki says that's normal. Should I play on easy or is hard 'normal' mode ?

I've got to admit that when I saw Easy started you with an assault rifle way back in the day, my first thought was "That actually makes total sense." If you're Jill Valentine, you KNOW that giant monsters and zombies and mutated vicious animals are 100% real, and you KNOW that the company producing them is both still in business and very close by, would you ever again go to sleep at night without the biggest gun you could smuggle perpetually at hand?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
The sparkshot can be especially effective on G-Adults, in particular. A single charge is usually not enough to kill them - it takes two - but a single shot WILL make them start doing the happy fun taser dance for a second or two. If you know you will only need to get past a G-Adult just this once (which is most of the time you fight them), you can pop a quick sparkshot into him to stun him and then quickly run by instead of charging it up.

It also inflicts one hell of a stagger on Mr X even if it won't actually knock him down. Considering when you get the sparkshot, though, this only matters in Ghost Survivor and Fourth Survivor stuff.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

Even though I think Claire B gets the worst pistol in the SAA yeah I’d say Leon B is the hardest. Leon may have a slightly easier time with regular zombies thanks to shotgun headshots but 2 of Claire’s weapons have a really good stun effect on larger/tougher and her SMG may not be able to decapitate zombies but it’ll take a leg off in an instant and is basically good against everything.

Eh.... the SAA's hammer fan that lets it dump an insane amount of ammo downrange in an instant can be pretty handy; it's an extremely quick and reliable leg sever on zombies when you're in a hurry, and nice burst damage on bosses. It also has much better damage than ANY other pistol in the game, excepting the magnums of course.

As for the bit about Leon's weapons having more stagger, I have to disagree JUST because of lickers. The shotgun is borderline worthless against them, whereas either type of grenade from Claire's launcher shuts them down hard.

Don't worry too much about not being able to unlock the infinite knife right away. When I finally got it was definitely one of those cases where I realized I didn't really need it anymore. It's nice having another knife, but by the time you get it it's.... just another knife. The infinite durability doesn't mean much because by necessity, you'll have learned how to use your ammo effectively by then.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

I've gotten too used to completely boarding up the west hallway since I basically copied all the speed runners. The darkroom window is a no brainer since the boards are right there, and to me everything else can be ignored.

Boarding up the west hallway can be very helpful on Leon's B route.... he has to go back through that hallway once it's repopulated with lickers, and having to deal with zombies and lickers at the same time is a NASTY little encounter. He also gets his first couple of boards a good bit earlier than usual, because B scenario.

For Claire it's a lot less important because she only ever has to go through that hall once in her B route, and twice in her A route (and the lickers won't be there yet in either case).

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I can't really feel sorry for Evie. Maybe she's a monster because she was designed to be, but she still actively enjoys inflicting pain and suffering - spelled out pretty explicitly in Mia's chapter. She never shows even the tiniest bit of remorse, either. The closest she ever gets is feeling sorry for herself a couple of times.

As for Kendo's mission in Ghost Survivors, regardless of which route you take through the sewers, GET THE SPARK SHOT. A quick burst into a G Adult will stun it long enough to slip by.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Convex posted:

Not getting the machine gun, and leaving the grenade launcher behind (you get another one in NEST) saves you a load of time. Also you can do sewers in about 15 mins easily if you know where you're going.

Skipping the submachine gun I can totally get behind, but skipping the grenade launcher? It's not really out of the way and VERY useful. On hardcore going without that thing all the way until the lab would get.... very ugly.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Crowetron posted:

The grenade launcher is absolutely essential since any version of Claire Redfield who is NOT constantly making GBS threads out napalm explosions like some sort of biker fire mage is clearly noncanonical :colbert:

I.... want to disagree but cannot.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I remember that moment a few months ago where I was wondering if Code Veronica retroactively made more sense via Alfred Ashford and his crossdressing being a reference to Norman Bates in Psycho (And of course, Alfred Hitchcock.) I actually just had another one of those small moments this weekend, after finally getting around to seeing Dial M For Murder. The scene where Margot is being strangled to death, desperately flails around instinctively for something to help her.... and then grabs a pair of scissors and rams them into her attacker's back? All of the sudden, I found myself eerily reminded of Ghost Survivors, what with the Mayor's daughter in the process of being killed by Chief Irons and then managing to grab a knife and bury it in his throat. Am I reading too much into this or was that a Hitchcock reference?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Barry does not see the puddle of blood on the dining room floor and immediately proceed to get distracted staring at it for the next five minutes, immersion ruined.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

SkeletonHero posted:

I forget exactly when it happens, but in RE6 either a tank or the Ustanak or something explodes

Gonna have to be waaaay more specific, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
RE6 was the only game I've ever played where in-combat quicktime defense moves just totally clicked with me. Bloodshots and melee-equipped zombies were literally just free kills, and a ton of extra time in Mercenaries mode. The counter-attack move on both of those enemies was always an instant kill, and that's insanely useful against Bloodshots in particular.