Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I really want to get Raccoon City but I want it for PC though now I'm starting to worry that there will be like no online community for PC by then..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I chumped out and bought the PS3 version. Sounded too cool to wait for a PC version.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

"I guess THE MUSCLE MEMORY saved me there!"

This game is delightfully bad like a RE game should be. I've only been playing Chris' campaign but it's real fun. The whole sliding/diving system is really interesting and you have to use it to not get murdered by the not ganados with guns. They can't aim for poo poo while your moving but sticking in cover just seems to be a terrible option 100% of the time.

Melee only isn't really an option though with so many guys spraying bullets everything it's just an awful idea to run into a group and try to melee a dude. Now one or two guys and Chris can backhand everyone into pieces.

Also gently caress the AI revives. I'm so glad there is a skill to disable them from doing it because every loving time in the first chapter what's his face ran over and got me up right into another attack. The AI really is just as bad as in RE5 but at least he can't be killed anymore. It seems like I have to play as if they aren't there at all because the NPC duders always seem to run right past like 50% of all enemies and the enemies always gun for me first too.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Jefferoo posted:

So for those having issues do you think it'd be something Capcom could fix up in a patch?

My issues have entirely been patchable things I think.

1) The AI shouldn't loving get you up while an enemy is humping your face mid attack.
2) I shouldn't arbitrarily die from obtuse mission failure in a hallway because I didn't shoot mans fast enough.

Fix those and so far my problems will be zero.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

I can tell you right now that weapons aren't nearly as strong as anything in RE5, and everything is much stronger. You will get your poo poo pushed in by the most basic zombie until you get the defense skill(s).

I dunno the guns aren't as super powerful I suppose but you are so much more mobile and powerful on your own. Melee is super great and for once the knife is actually great and usable.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Thievery posted:

Bear in mind, you can now move while aiming/shooting, and dodge roll to evade attacks. This is HUGE. Dodging also does not use any of your stamina bar, neither does rolling on the floor like a maniac. Once you work out the dodging mechanics and maybe get a little more used to the enemies (honestly you can get hit about the same amount of times you can in RE4 or 5, it just happens more often due to the combat mechanics) you'll be invincible, pretty much. I went through Leon's, starting out getting beat down by every other zombie, then by the time I got to Jake's last chapter I don't think I got hit. I'm going through the last campaign at the minute and only get hit by environmental poo poo, it feels almost too easy now.

So yeah, dodge roll!

Jake also has the advantage of just rushing at a dude and pulling off a crazy as shiiiit melee combo full of back flips and flying punches. His running dash move is the most amazing move in the game because he can dodge while doing it for free.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Thievery posted:

I played through Jake's campaign mainly using melee and didn't know this :blush:

On the other hand I also ended up knife fighting Chris's last boss because I ran out of ammo, so I am very good at knife dodge.

edit - also never really used quick shot, does it just lock on to whatever's in front of you? I tried it a couple of times but I'm pretty good at headshots so it wasn't too bad. Is very very useful for giving you and your partner some breathing room under pressure though.

Quick shot locks onto the closest enemy be it behind you or whatever and will automatically stunlock them for a melee power move (but not a coup de grace).

Jake has a special move with his fists if you hold the raise fists button then hold the attack and he will crouch down and lock onto an enemy. When you release he will dash towards them real fast and you can hit left or right during this to dodge mid dash. When he hits he does a super powerful hit and you can hit attack again for as long as you have stamina and there are enemies. It takes like 2 hits to kill anything in the dash attack mode. So amazing in Mercenaries.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

I the second disc just multiplayer? I rented RE6 and it says disc one on it.

I think disk 2 is language installs or something.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Section Z posted:

It's okay, I had this problem too. Though I really should have tried the D-Pad again later (Trying all the buttons in tutorial! D-Pad isn't doing anything, okay ill ignore it) after they unlocked my controls.

Then in chapter three it finally gave me a loading screen tip "That's how you do it". I miss manuals. Now I'm missing the tiny pamphlets that are just disclaimers and your controller layout :smith: Nothing in my 360 box but the discs.

Also, you can't throw remote bombs right? Just place them down? They have still been useful (especially when I know Stack Of Enemies Spawns Here), but I miss throwing high explosives at people, though the incendiary grenades are fun.

You can drop remote bombs while sliding for maximum awesome.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Picked up RE6 today, and played a bit of the single player story, but the camera and controls were pissing me off so much I decided to try mercenaries mode. I probably put hundreds of hours into mercenaries in 4 and 5, and it was the main reason I picked up this game mainly for it.

Maybe it's because I haven't played enough to find out how to do it well, but did they completely gimp the melee system from 5? Kneecapping and directional body shots don't seem to do anything at all, and most of the time the zombies don't even flinch. Characters seem to have only a couple melee moves, and not only do the downed enemy attacks not insta-kill enemies, half the time they miss. Is there a way to quick reload from the inventory during animations? It seems like the entirety of the melee system is mashing the melee button 3 times to do a generic combo.

Add to this the camera is jammed up your characters rear end which makes you take up half the screen making it hard to see, it seems like this mode is super sloppy and frustrating to play in the version of Resident Evil, which sucks because I was really looking forward to playing some more mercs.

Melee is actually even more powerful but works completely different. Kneecaps and bodyshots don't set up anymore and instead, headshots and shoulder shots are what set up for melee finishers in 6. Don't approach it as RE5 and just try to grasp what it wants and you will see it click into place.

I think the biggest problem with RE6 is people trying to assume that it's just like gears of war or just like RE5 when it's nothing like anything really. It wants you to counter enemy swings and set up melee finishers. Guns are practically a last resort for killing and basic melee is only usable on a single dude or so. You have to stay so mobile with all the gun wielding enemies and they certainly give you the tools to stay mobile with dives and slides.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Billy went to the land of lost Limbo where terrible characters go.

Then he clearly isn't with Barry then because Barry is the man. He is so much the man that if you look up "the man" in the dictionary it just has a reference saying "Please look under Barry Burton".

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

You mean quick shot? It does a special move.

An AMAZING move. Especially Jake though not as amazing as his dash attack.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Speaking of huh what moments why do Leon and Chris act like they know each other. Were they in a game I don't remeber or something? Unless I'm forgetting something Chris was long gone when Leon went to raccoon city and after that Leon was doing special ops.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Chris was in Code Veronica? Man I do not remember anything about that game apparently....

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought that idea got turned into Devil May Cry.

Yeah they didn't feel that version was scary enough to be a RE game but they loved the concept so they turned it into DMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Thievery posted:

I just remembered that Leon does get infected in RE4 though.

For like, five minutes.

Well being infected has really changed definitions over the series. Used to just be that being infected turned you into a zombie when you died, then it meant you died really quick, then it meant started turning into a zombie on the spot, then it meant you started mutating, now it's like you get super powers and are basically the guyver.