Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Wii version also looks better due to the fact the assets not showing their age as much as they on the HD versions.

The PC version looks much better than the PS2 now, but its still using the same geometry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
New RE6 trailer and new release date at the end!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4VJljsHgSo

Trailer clears any doubts on who the characters are.

Policenaut posted:

Someone accidentally posted the Spanish
Italian, dude.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
At least with Mercenaries they wont pull the same poo poo as with RE5, that is a bajillion of Chris's and Sheevas.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
yeah, the footage from the ps3 version they streamed looked good though; hopefully Ill avoid spoilers

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Finally got my hands on the demo, so far impressed with the technical aspects on the ps3 given RE5's quality. I took a while to get used to the new controls scheme but gaddam this game is amazing, once you turn off the camera reset whenever you press X the game just clicks with you. If I were at Capcom I would counter the game's leak by releasing it earlier, because unless they hosed it up this is probably one of their best current games.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 7, 2012

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Wanderer posted:

I got a review copy of RE6 yesterday, and after flailing madly at my debug 360 until it decided to loving work, just work baby, all I want is for you to love me, I've been playing the game for the last embarrassing number of hours.

I am under a spectacularly strict embargo concerning coverage of the game, and do not wish to get lawyered at, but I will say this for the benefit of all involved:

If you, like me, accidentally stumbled across the early spoilers, I am happy to confirm that they are rumors and untrue. I've cleared Leon and Chris's campaigns so far.

Just pm me something, Jill in?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Can you lock the camera onto the character's back? I think the free camera gets almost too hectic than the classical standard; other than that, I cannot wait to play Mercenaries with this. No Mercy mode Capcom, come on.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
This huge split in oppinions over RE6 is really surprising; haven't played the second demo but the first one showed a lot of potential with the new controls. It's not as tightly designed as RE4 but the new options made it play like a roided up RE5.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah the first demo with the Chris section also made melee a more viable option, ram fools, stagger spinning punch.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The camera needs some serious working, when you get it to work like RE4/5 camera its great, when its like in the Leon demo where its doing its own thing is suuuuuuucks.
I'm gonna guess Leon's campaign is going to be worse, Chris and Jake's seem to take advantage of the new controls and melee options; which are awesome.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I think the first two do, you might need some getting used to the control scheme but the games were very thoughtly designed with the controls in mind so the frustration of the tank movement is lessened.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm gonna bet the biggest offender is Leon's campaign, cause drat all the demos from Leon's are baaaaaaaaaad; while Chris's and Jake's are great once you get used to the new controls and the cover mechanics.
Seriously, just sprint and slide to cover, much better than aiming and X

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

For what it's worth, I agree with the reviewers' complaints about the aiming system - it's loving terrible, UNLESS you switch the aiming mode from 'crosshair' to 'aiming laser'. I found accuracy 100x easier with that change. The crosshairs are just awful, but I can't put my finger on why.

It feels like a slapped on visual effect, the game is still using the much more precise laser sight but they got the crosshairs because some other popular games uses it; it's like Capcom weren't even sure themselves and yet they still made it the default setting. Seriously, they should have a mandate option when begining a new game to pick from crosshair or laser sight.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The thing is, it works because they weren't going for camp.
"No! Dont. Go."
"Chris. Where's. Chris"
Yes part of the charm is seeing this American culture distiled from a Japanese point of view.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I do miss weapon upgrades, skills are okay I guess, but I miss the good old weapon progression.

edit; what's really bullshit are the connection problems, fix that poo poo capcom

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 6, 2012

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I've found a good way to get behind zombie's, if they're blocking your front melee attack simply go past them and hit them in the back, never does not work, the game has a sort of auto lock on for melee.
I do wish they kept the 8 slot inventory system though, but at least the reduced inventory means less fumbling about.

Again on the skill system, why the gently caress they removed weapon progression, I want to jump on a game and have my big gatling gun fridge to show off.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Trico posted:

It's true. When you first start, there's no reason to suggest the game doesn't want you to play it like Gears or Uncharted, but you're going to have a bad time playing it like this (you'll burn through ammo, you'll get grabbed constantly, etc.)

At the same time, it doesn't play exactly like RE4/5 in that the melee and stagger system has been changed, and you're supposed to rely more on quick-shots and "stronger" melee attacks like coup de grace and counters, which are basically never explained unless you find it in the loading screens eventually. Certain melee attacks like the stomp and basic kicks/punches have been nerfed.
The old stagger mechanics still work, kinda, you just need to shoot about three times as much to get through all the thick armor the zombies have; seriously, their clothings and skin must be made of steel.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

RageBeef posted:

You must be having some really bad luck then because I'd say around 90% of the time enemies get stunned by a single shot to the head or arm (this is applied mostly with pistols and the more powerful ARs, the other weapons need a few shots to get the stagger but make up for it will larger magazine sizes) and after playing a bunch of Mercenaries in 4 and 5 in the weeks leading up to 6 I'd honestly say that the stagger has worked better and more reliably for me here than it did in those games. On the rare occasion that the first shot doesn't stagger and barring the stagger mechanic not being a dick, 2/3 shots seems to be the maximum total shots to get the stagger and if the third doesn't do it then it'll pop their head instead. I also have to disagree with the people saying the game wants you relying on the quickshot mechanic, while it may be an instant stun it takes a bar of your stamina gauge and then another to do the follow up melee with a possible third if they still aren't dead so using it liberally will have you burning through your stamina (yes you can use your herbs to refill the gauge but it can leave you vulnerable to attacks and I'd rather save them for when I might need a heal if I've been taking too much damage instead of burning them every time I need the stamina refill) so if I'm going to be using that much of my stamina bar I'd rather set up a Coup de Grace for the extra time bonus and has a pretty limited range that homes in on the closest enemy to you so it can lock on to the wrong enemy if you're surrounded. I've found it to be better as an emergency "get off me" button when I need to stun an enemy and I don't have the time to bring up manual aiming or when I start getting swarmed by those drat dogs and instead use the normal stagger -> contextual melee for a guaranteed kill for one bar, except for the armored zombies who either need two headshots then melee or a stomp follow up, and that bar will usually fill up naturally by the time I get to do it again and depending if the melee knocked over more enemies I can get some extra stomps in.

The old shoot them in the foot to stagger only works after like the third bullet in campaign.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Fereydun posted:

They cut off a month of development time/polish time at the very minimum, from moving the date from 11-11-12 to October 2nd, so it's probably just that stuff.
I'd say it was more than a month, game looked ready to ship a long while but then they had to probably go back to it to rework the camera issues after the first demo came out. Development must have been fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
There's also only one remake.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Biggest offense is the lack of unlockable stuff, come on Capcom, among the enormous focus group test you did someone must have checked that.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I was surprised to find Chris is 39 in RE6, dude doesn't look a year past 20. Which is impressive for someone with such a stressful job.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Due to RE5 Gold being free with PSN+ I started a new game and played around with the modes that they never released in PC; aaaaaaaaaaand, I really miss the new RE6 controls and options, it also seems to me RE5 plays better with kb&m. Enemies telegraph better their reactions in RE5 but I think its more due to them being less bullet sponges, although triggering a staggering reaction is easier in RE6 since their weak spots seem larger or easier to hit.

But what it made me realise is that I wsh RE6 had kept the same sense of progression as RE5 and tons of unlockables.
Despite all the content there is in RE6, it still feels pretty barebones, maybe due to the campaign having a lot of useless filler. I want to play with dumb costumes, I want to play around with more weapons, just put RE6 controls on RE5 Capcom, come on.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Wooph posted:

I just got RE5 Gold edition over PSN+. Do I really have to go through the campaign to access the DLC?

Lost Nigmare gets unlocked after like chapter 3-3, whichever the last one before chapter 4-1 is.
The rest, yeah gotta complete.
Been doing that myself too.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

The Miracle posted:

Do you all just not pay attention to the loading screens? Every single complaint made about "the game doesn't tell you this" I've seen explained while staring at a loading screen

It's a loading screen, who the hell thought putting pertinent info on a loading screen was a good way to convey that information?

Wooph posted:

On inventory: The game should allow you to "hide" some of your weapons so you can't select them with the d-pad or pick up any ammo for them. I feel like I'm just holding too much stuff during the later chapters.

yeah, the new inventory is crap when you get more than three weapons; it's why mercenaries plays better, you only have at the most three weapons

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Nov 13, 2012

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Man, this game is sad, there's no incentive to play coop or other online modes and there's barely anyone online; come on Capcom, have some unlockables, patch that in. At least you can play Professional from the get go.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
RE6 sold pretty well given the public reaction, and initial sales were veeery strong; but bad word of mouth killed and Capcom expected to sell at the very least 2 more mil copies

Semiru posted:

Has anybody participated in any of those residentevil.net events? I've tried for a couple but the last one didn't count my score :mad:
I want to but for some reason capcom thought no full integration with the actual game was a good idea; I ain't going to check the website to find if any events are going on

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
What are the dlc modes people most play online? Talkign about Predator and Onslaught.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
REmake and RE1 still have that Capcom arcade sensibility in that the level design and controls are very deliberate and once you get them down you can sail through zombies like it was nobodie's business.
That's why RE games were much better than the bastion of clones they spawned.

REmake sold below expectations because I dunno, I guess they were expecting people to flock to the GC and fled the PS2

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Six needed more coop sections, that part where you fight with Chris and Jake alongside Sherril's crew? Amazing, and those setpieces should have been RE6's main focus.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
When CV came out the lighting was freakin impressive, that's probably all I can recall from CV

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Lotish posted:

What always comes to the forefront of my brain any time anyone mentions CV isn't the lighting or Steve or the crazy cross dresser--it's the big deal every publication I read made about "John Woo pistols akimbo dual SMGS OMG!"

oh yeaaaa, claire also had a john woo moment in the intro, when dropping the gun and sliding down only to grab it mid air and BAM BAM
I take back what I said, CV was dope

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Do people play any of the particular dlc modes on re6 anymore? I want to get the pc version because that game is dope, despite being bad

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Is there a trainer, pc version, or something to unlock everything on RE6? I just want to play mercenaries, not re-do the whole campaign

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Oh? Really? I turned it off because I couldn't skip the whole dumb intro with Leon, might as well endure it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Claire is just brimming with spite, "why am i in this fuckin game, capcom? gently caress you all"

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Solomonic posted:

Is it just my settings or is this a whole lot darker than the original REmake?

the screenshots shown around are also riddled with crushed blacks and waht not

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Chris still blue balling over Jill. I swear, the day a couple of RE protagonists hook up is the day the franchise dies, all that tension pent up over years...

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I just wish the RE6 counter button was assigned to someplace else. It seems very counter to the style of play to feature it on the right trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I gotta say, RE7 level design takes a hit on the penultimate area, where instead of learning an area as you progress through, you just get annoying obstacles, like "aww gently caress, I left the crank two rooms back". Overall, a way better effort than I expected it to be, but quite not at RE1-2 levels, which is what takes more inspiration from.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 29, 2017