Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Probably going to get lost in the midst of all this RE6 chatter (going to be a while until I play it, but I liked the demo), but any RE4 PC players here? I have the US version an I'd like to play the best possible version of his with mods and mouse look, but I can't find a good guide on how to get it working. Does anybody here know or have a link to a good guide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

What's the latest scoop on the PC version of RE6? I assumed it was coming out this week, but I go on steam and it says 2013.

I recall that they said it was coming at an undetermined amount of time after the console versions, but I'm not certain if it has a solid release date yet.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Wanderer posted:

The alternate costumes, incidentally, are:

Haha, I love alternate costumes, especially weird ones. I am glad this doesn't disappoint.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I like to imagine Leon as being sort of like Jack Burton from Big Trouble in Little China, but a bit more competent. He's a bad-rear end, but not the brightest. Half the time he's just sort of confused and trying to act as awesome as he can, and if that means shooting his mouth off with stupid one-liners, well...

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Was there some dueling rush of fans vs. hatred on this like with Dragon Age 2 or something?
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/resident-evil-6

0.5 user rating, pretty brutal. I didn't like the demo for this one at all and am gonna skip it but it was still a functioning game with awesome melee attacks and stuff. Haters gonna hate.

Compare the number of user ratings to other games. It's a little odd, the only ones that have the same number are the Call of Duty and Battlefield games. Even RE5 has like, 500 each platform.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Revitalized posted:

Right upon release, someone had quickly released mouse support for the game I think, although I ended up buying a controller because I didn't know which buttons it wanted me to press to DODGE THE BOULDER over and over.

You got it working? I never did. As much as I enjoyed playing it, the PC Port was pretty terrible.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I also would prefer a reboot in style and not story.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I dunno, so far RE6 just doesn't seem to be doing it for me. I'm only in Leon chapter 2, but various design choice keep nagging at me and it's making it hard to enjoy when I pull of suplexing like, a dozen zombies in a row. Level and encounter design, for one. I keep dying, which wouldn't be an issue but none of my deaths feel fair. I meet a zombie or two and suddenly I have no health. Maybe Leon's HUD is just messing with me, I don't remember having that problem in 4. The camera bothers me too, is there an option I missed somewhere so that I don't get a low angle when I run?

I've heard some people say that Leon's campaign is pretty bad, are some of these problems fixed in other campaigns? Should I just skip Leon and go to Chris and Jake?

Also, gently caress Bloodshots, I can never seem to hit the counter. And dogs, my quick shots keep on missing.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Cyra posted:

You can absolutely change an option that keeps the camera upright during dashes. Also consider dicking with the field of view options, I find it makes a big difference. Finally, make sure you're playing with laser sights instead of the crosshair.

Done all of those. I figured out my problem with the dash camera though. I tend to keep the camera looking down slightly, so no matter which option I go for, it always adjusts the view in a somewhat uncomfortable way for me. Also started Chris' campaign, finding it much more fun so far. The only bullshit death I found was getting loving murdered while I was trying to change settings. Come on, Capcom, let the menu pause the game in single-player at least!

Edit:

Wanderer posted:

It seems like every post-Mikami RE has at least one stupid UI decision and that's RE6's. You have to change the options to "offline" from the chapter select menu, IIRC, before you can pause the game in single-player.

I do though, it just doesn't pause.

catlord fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 7, 2013

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I think I've come to the conclusion that I just don't like the style of 6. I dunno, Chris' campaign is certainly better than Leon's, but all the controls just feel... off. No matter how I set the mouse sensitivity it never feels just right and I never feel like I'm 100% in control of my character, like I'm wrestling with moving them around. Also I don't like the reliance on melee, I liked 4's style more. I really liked how the Revelations demo felt, I hope the series follows that more.

Also the loving save points and a menu that pauses when you enter it, loving Christ.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Not going to speak for the other guy, but for me melee in RE4 was a happy byproduct of the games and means to give yourself some breathing room. In RE6 it feels like there's a lot more emphasis on punching over shooting which I'm not particularly a fan of. I still haven't quite "got" 6's mechanics and what you're meant to be playing it like, so weh weh.

Yeah, pretty much. I don't care so much about playing in the most mechanically optimal way, I just want to play so that I'm having fun.

Renzian posted:

Are you saying that the aiming feels sluggish, even at max mouse sensitivity?

Actually I should take that back, I kept on fiddling with camera speed and not aiming speed, because apparently I'm sorta stupid. Turning up aiming sensitivity makes aiming feel a lot better.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Well, I watched a couple videos of the RE6 LP, finished Chris chapter 3 and played two rounds of Mercenaries No Mercy. I'm... still not terribly fond of it, but it's occasionally fun. I don't like the melee system still, but knifing people as Chris makes things a lot easier, so I'm at least not completely out of ammo all the time. That car chase at the end of chapter 3 was stupid as poo poo ("I'm the best driver in the BSAA!" "Ok! Hey, take the gun, I'll drive!"). I can't reliably counter (in chapter 3 I think I did it all of three times), so I tend to just keep sliding into and knifing enemies and hoping I keep them stun locked. Still feel like I;m wrestling with the character to go in the direction I want them to.

Mercenaries No Mercy was pretty fun, though. Played on Urban Chaos. Hate the dogs still, I still can't reliably hit them with a quickshot. But somehow I was able to counter the Bloodshots? When I was hating Leon's campaign I remember always failing because the coutner indicator for them always registered with me when they were busy ripping my throat out. Maybe the wider space helped with that.

Maybe if I never finish the campaigns I'll just play Mercenaries.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Lunethex posted:

There's only two things I can say to help you direct yourself better.

One: make sure the camera option for aiming direction is set to aim where your camera is, not where your character is facing. This can totally screw you up if you're just trying to back up.

Two: If you come to a full stop but need to make quick angle turns, face the way you want to go then just tap your aiming key, your character plants their feet in that direction and you can just roll/move etc normally instead of maybe having to wheel yourself around. This can make a huge difference and is something you should get in the habit of when trying to do anything.

Oh yeah, I do both of those, I'm talking things like running, jumping up onto things and then immediately jumping off, but getting off from the side instead of straight forward, or, my personal favourite, climbing up a ladder and running, only to immediately jump back down the ladder. Though once in Mercenaries I was running from a huge pack of dogs and somehow managed to run past something then double back and slide over it towards the dogs, that was pretty notable too. Trying to make turns while moving also gets me.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I was doing super good in No Mercy as Agent and then I got mauled by a huge pack of dogs. :( I did better my second run (though I don't think I beat my first score) and ran out of time inches from a hourglass. I love how you can map out where they are, but completely forget the second the timer gets low.

Also, is Nick terrible or something? I managed to die twice super fast (though one time was my fault, trying to clear a path and shooting too close to my feet with a grenade launcher).

Edit: vv Hm, maybe I should stop shooting the ground in front of me with the grenade launcher then.

catlord fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 7, 2013

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

So, since I haven't played any of his campaign yet I decided to hold off on playing Jake in the Mercenaries. I just did and completely blew my other scores out of the water, it was amazing. First A Rank (got B's with Leon and Chris, C's with Agent), mostly done using hand to hand. Got surrounded by dogs once, and pretty much completely destroyed them with hand to hand quick shots, giving me enough room to escape. Punched a Bloodshot to death. Suplexed zombies. Jake is loving awesome.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Backhand posted:

It's true that 6 has just about no horror element, but I really enjoyed it anyway - it was like 5, but with more refined gameplay and substantially less annoying bullshit (one-hit kills, rampant QTEs, etc.) When Capcom added the ability to disable quicktime events for the PC version, it was like mana from heaven for me. It convinced me that maybe, just maybe, Capcom could listen to its fans from time to time. Fighting and exploring are fun, Simon Says reaction speed tests, not so much.

I also really liked Leon's campaign, or at least the first couple chapters of it. It still wasn't horror, but it was fun.

How the Hell does 6 have more refined gameplay than 5? RE6 is possibly one of the clunkiest games I've played. Not that it's bad (although, I just can't get the feel of it), but Jesus is it a rough, hacked together game.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

You can still pause the game, it just has to be in offline mode IIRC.

Unless that was added in a patch recently, no. Unless playing solo isn't offline? But if not that's bullshit.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I enjoyed the first and third books, the adaptations of RE1 and 2, but then again I was a teen who wasn't allowed to play the games, so that was the closest I could get. I haven't read the original ones, but honestly they sound like a lot of (stupid) fun.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

So now that we're so far separated from its disastrous release and the superior PC version being out, is 6 worth playing? 'Cause I could go for some good dumb fun Resident Evil right about now.

I don't feel like I wasted my money, but ultimately I just didn't feel like the game fit me. I felt the controls were too clunky and weirdly complex, and there were too many annoying sections (I got to chapter 2 in Leon's campaign and chapter 5 in Chris'), but if you can get the controls, and if you can power through annoying bits, absolutely.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I believe there's a Let's Play of both of them. I think the LPer said 1 was solid enough and 2 was really bad?

Edit: Here it is.

catlord fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 19, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I was playing Resi 2 only recently (Dreamcast version) and while the graphics and controls aren't much chop by today's standards, the atmosphere is still pretty awesome.

I have it on Dreamcast too and I'm having a lot of trouble with it. Mostly the controls though, I dislike tank controls for th emost part, but I'm not certain if that's because I'm trying to do it on a controller, or if the Dreamcast version doesn't control as well as, say the PSX version. I didn't mind the tank controls in Alone in the Dark (the first one), but I'm also not sure if that's because arrow keys work really good for it, of if it just controls real well.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Wanderer posted:

So I got a chance to read the Game Informer article about Revelations 2, and the producer's in there saying that if you're really hardcore, you'll recognize the name of the female character who's taunting Claire and Moira through the intercom.

People have been thinking Alex Wesker could be female since RE5, since very little's known about the character.

It's going to be loving Fong Ling isn't it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Lotish posted:

I am the one person in the world who liked Dead Aim. I would welcome her and Bruce back.

I never played it, but I would too. I was just thinking, who is least likely to come back? The Ada ripoff, of course.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

The co-op in RE6 at least makes your partner invincible and you can abuse them for it.

Unless they get splattered by a truck.

I didn't hate RE6, but no matter what I did it felt clunky, like half the stuff it was doing it wasn't supposed to be doing and it never quite gelled for me. I did like the demo for Revelations though, some day I'll get the whole thing. I liked how that one felt.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'm really enjoying Rev2 after not having played any REvil since I completed the REmake on Gamecube and went through...a good portion of RE4? I think I made it to the castle then stopped for whatever reason. I think I might get RE4 on Steam, but what other Resident Evil games should I really consider getting?

RE5 is getting ported over to Steamworks as we speak, it should be finished soon enough. I think they'd put it on sale then? I'd wait for a bit, anyway. RE6 is one of those ones that might really click with you and might not. It didn't for me, honestly, but there's plenty of people here who could help you out. I'd wait for a sale, don't bother with the DLC, it's all for multiplayer and I gather the DLC game modes are all pretty dead. I hear Rev1 is good? I haven't played it yet, I'm waiting for a good sale, ideally at a time when I have money. It doesn't look like ORC is still on Steam. I hear it was rather poo poo?

Speaking of RE6, I looked at a Let's Play of RE6 just briefly to see how far I got in Chris' campaign, and I am shocked at how close to the end I was. I got to the timed bit in the... Sealab or whatever before I just decided I was done with it. Even after playing a bunch of Mercenaries (most of my shocking 15.3 hours, I'd say) I was just never comfortable with the controls and I wasn't into the gameplay at all.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I wish I could get into the gameplay of RE6, when it clicked right for me it felt good and it obviously clicked right for plenty of other people. I'm torn because I'm not good at fixed camera angles and tank controls, for the most part, so I prefer the over the shoulder camera and action gameplay, but I'm not sure how well it'd translate for RE2.

I need to get back to RE2, actually, I have it on DC, and I'm in the RPD and that's about as far as I've ever gotten, due to sucking at fixed camera angle and tank control games. I almost made it to the RPD without getting hit, but then a crawling zombie hit me from off camera.

Edit: vv I never got the feel of the controls, they felt so clunky to me. I'm sure that if I could get it it'd click for me, but I think that after 15.3 hours (where does the time go?) in mostly Mercenaries, I'm just not going to get them.

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 3, 2015

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

All those GIFs make me wish I got the feel of combat down because drat. In all my time playing I only managed to intentionally pull off a melee counter a couple times, the prompt always seemed to pop up for an absolutely miniscule amount of time, and by the time I realised, there was a Bloodshot gnawing on my testicles. Also playing with KB+M, dodging and rolling seemed oddly complicated and difficult to pull off at a moments notice. I don't know why I'm so bad at it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

You really can't wait for the prompt. You have to get the feel for when to dodge without it.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Bloodshots actually make for great practice, as their leaping tackle is very predictable, they can be baited into doing it, and it has a relatively generous counter window. Zombies carrying weapons also do big telegraphing wind-ups before attacking. And yeah, don't wait for the visual indicator. It's a muscle memory reflex.

Edit: I don't know anything about M+KB though.

Backhand posted:

^ Beaten. And yeah, don't wait for the prompt. Just time it such that your kick / punch / whatever would land the instant before their attack would land on you, and it'll almost always work.

Yeah, but as established, I'm really, really bad at it, especially when trying to deal with a bunch of zombies too. Ultimately, I just prefer the slightly slower and more gunplay oriented style of RE4.

I'm also not much of a fan of multiplayer, I kinda wish they'd dial the co-op back a bit. I figure this means I should pick up Revelations at some point.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Huh. Apparently there's going to be a Resident Evil stage play? The website is here but it's in Japanese. This is the article I saw which gives the plot as there being an outbreak at a school in Australia where Chris and Piers meets up with Rebecca Chambers, who's now a teacher. I gotta say, that's an interesting place to bring back a character who's been missing for so long.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Geight posted:

I'm surprisingly pumped about this, I love Chris and Piers being bros and Rebecca Chambers getting to come back as a professor of all things is actually pretty cool. I hope they're true to the source material and Chris sends a zombie home to mommy with a rolling DDT

A couple years ago I was pondering how to reintroduce various characters. I was thinking of a game split between Rebecca (as a doctor who decided that fighting monsters and poo poo wasn't her thing after the mansion and gets dragged into this and plays more survival horror) and Barry (who I figured would play more action-y because of loving course he would). Apparently I was pretty much right on, I should have tried to ingratiate myself with Capcom back then. I kinda wish this was one of the CG movies, I doubt that I'll get much chance to catch a stage play, which is a shame since I always liked Rebecca.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I decided to grab a last minute pre-order of RE0 just on a whim. I've not played many RE games though, or at least not classic style RE games. A little tiny bit of REMake on the Wii, and a little bit of RE2 on the Dreamcast. Is there anything I should know?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I liked that trailer but it didn't seem particularly Resident Evil-y to me? I'm very intrigued though. I like the idea of a swampy setting too.

Edit: ^^ Interesting, wasn't the last time the series went first-person the Survivor games?

catlord fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 14, 2016

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

This is the best.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I reinstalled RE6 because I wanted to give it another shot. I've been practising in Mercenaries and I still cannot get countering down. I remember mentioning my problem with it before, specifically with the Bloodshots, where if I tried to counter when the prompt appeared, it was already too late, but trying as they (or any other enemy) begins the attack, it's too early and I whiff. Am I missing something or am I just super bad at RE6? Because I could just be, I find myself wishing it was slower, like RE4, a lot.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Panzeh posted:

If you're waiting for the prompt, you're too late. Some enemies are very easy to counter(like zombies, especially ones with weapons). With the zombie attacks, you have to wait until they're basically starting to come toward you with their swing. I believe there's a trick where if you begin a taunt you can mash attack without risking doing a melee move. Make sure you do not have your weapon raised when you go for a counter.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Bloodshots are actually really good practice for countering because they can be baited into leaping at you by standing a certain distance away from them. Do not pay attention to the prompt. Once you have countering them down to muscle memory they become big wonderful balloons of free points and i frames.

Backhand posted:

As others have said, the on-screen prompt comes way too late. Ignore it and instead look at the actual enemy's animations. With weapon-equipped zombies, you want to hit melee after they wind up, and their weapon is on a collision course with your face, but before it hits. With bloodshots.... you know how Leon has that kick as his default melee option? I visualize it as when I would have to time the kick such that it hit them in the face as they leaped at me, and that always seems to work as well.

Yeah, when I last played it I was waiting for the prompt and was told the same thing. Now I'm trying to time it before the prompt even appears and it's almost always too early. With zombies I can counter maybe, maybe 50% of the time, but anything else I either can't or every once in a while get lucky and get one.

Edit: Managed to unlock Helena and Sherry. I am still awful at countering though. I killed a lot of Bloodshots, but that was mostly because Helena has the grenade launcher that will stun them so I can kick their chest cavities in. Countered two, but I suspect that was mostly luck. I countered a dog at one point which I'd figured you couldn't do and the prompt was coming from a zombie taking a swing at me at the same time after trying to find a good way to deal with the little fucks.

catlord fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 7, 2016

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Which version of RE4 first added the Separate Ways bonus mission?

It was the PS2 version because the PC version was promised the Gamecube graphics and effects and the PS2 extra content.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Apparently the team that was making that Resident Evil 2 remake is making a new survival horror game. I guess the creature designs are by the guy who did creature designs for Code Veronica and Zero?

Trailer.

It looks like it plays like Revelations, which I picked up on sale on the Humble Store and am really enjoying. I decided to uninstall RE6 again after loading up my save game from last time I played, where I was right at the end of Chris' campaign, and discovered that the final boss fight sucks super hard in single-player and I had practically no health and ammo.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Crowetron posted:

Raccoon City Chainsaw Massacre

Took the words right out of my mouth. I'm digging it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

That was such a Texas Chainsaw Massacre moment, I loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Edit:
Unrelated, but here's what happens if I try playing RE1 on PC:

Transparency appears to have hosed itself into not behaving as intended!

Are you using a wrapper of some kind, like DGVoodoo? If not, try one, that might help.