Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

I like how one the achievements for making progress in the Umbrella Security Service storyline is just straight up called 'Betrayal', like, yeah, no one saw that coming.

The extra little bit that notes that the campagin completion achievements are for 'the USS campaign' make me wonder if there's actually seperate campaing for those contractors? Special Forces? People in the 'Triple Impact' trailer. Seems wierd to give them actual character and make them the polar opposites of the main characters if they don't get used in any capacity beyond glorified multiplayer skins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Revitalized posted:

There's no achievements for another campaign though. I mean there are hidden achievements but they could just be other campaign related events.

Yeah, that's sort of the main thing signifying that they'll just be ancillary campaing antagonists and multiplayer skins.

Eh, who cares, the USS troops look way more interesting. Hey, hey, hey, play Lupo everyday.

Policenaut posted:

I think the Spec Ops dudes are the villains of ORC. Like I know that's kinda funny to say when the protagonists of the game are cop killing corporate thugs but that's what's going on I believe.

Yeah, they're also the other team you can play as in the competitive multiplayer, as I understand it, though I thought there was some other group for that as well. I don't know, maybe that was just preliminary stuff that had three different teams.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Oh, well poo poo, hey Dan Didio I think you were right about the Spec Ops in Operation Raccoon City.

20 new achievements/trophies added to ORC with the "Echo Six Expansion Pack" DLC

Nailed it.

By the way, that effect on the guns to show that you're using incendiary ammo looks balls to the wall awful. Just add a symbol near my gun on the UI or something, Capcom.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The first two Dino Crisis games are amazing.

I was always kind of annoyed that they placed Regina in the sort of 'secondary' role in 2 when I first played it, but it really is a fantastic game and being able to unlock her outfit in, uh, Resident Evil 3? was wicked at the time.

I can't believe they decided to follow up on those two games with that crazy, unrelated dinos in space disaster.

EDIT: TRAT! That was the name of the Dino Crisis S.T.A.R.S. TRAT owns.

EDIT2: They even ended the second one on a cliffhanger, goddamn it.

EDIT3: Hell, they even had that lightgun shooter, Dino Stalker.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 3, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Revitalized posted:

That last one (Willow) wasn't in the CG trailer was she?

She's the one who stabs the Licker to death.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Cardboard Fox posted:

So let me get this straight if I've started with LeonA:

The next playthrough has to be ClairB. Then I start the game over with ClairA and finish with LeonB?

Precisely.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

AshTheZombie posted:

Both stock off amazon. Umbrella window decal and G155-Gaming and Entertainment Mobile System.

That thing looks 80's as gently caress. I hope you wear a Powerglove while playing it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

I was at school yesterday and some guy was wearing a full fledged Umbrella uniform. Campus was loving dead because of spring break and I saw maybe 20 people there all day. I wonder why the hell he was wearing that uniform.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that he is where my 3DS streetpass came from.

You're going to feel really dumb when there's Lickers crawling all over your campus someday soon.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Revitalized posted:

You know what would be cool? If we see characters of the Wolfpack appear in future Resident Evil titles, maybe even just as cameos.

ORC is an alternate timeline, a what-if. But that doesn't mean that in the canon storyline Wolfpack cannot exist. It would just mean maybe they didn't go to RC, but did other Umbrella-y things. (Mainly I just want to see some Vector/Hunk student/master interaction but yeah)

Make them members of the BSAA in the 'main' storyline.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Revitalized posted:

Apparently in a 7 mission long campaign, the rest is paid DLC in the "coming weeks". Also a versus map pack is in the works for paid DLC as well.

Thanks, Capcom, but, um, no thanks.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

I think it's to keep the same screen ratio. If I am not mistaken I think Uncharted 3 does split screen like that. If it didn't things would look really stretched and distorted.

Tons of modern games do it Call of Duty: World at War was the first place I remember seeing it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Leon's level was maybe the most boring and uninspired thing I've ever had the displeasure of playing through.

Chris' was better by sheer virtue that something happened, but the controls were overly, needlessly complex, the movement and shooting felt awful and the cover system is really, pointlessly complicated. It's a bad cover-shooter and an awful, turgid mess of ideas.

The overly long, completely tensionless QTE was amazing in how off the mark it was. This is the future; imagine Chris pressing the 'X' button and murmuring about muscle memory forever.

Not to mention the dialogue in both was terrible in a completely bland, straight-faced, un-Resident Evil way.

Edit: The camera was terrible in both parts too, with it practically stuck to the character's shoulder in a very hampered, control-less way, but the really astounding bit is how they make you use the same impossibly close camera angle for the obligatory 'run towards the camera, away from the monster' sequence in Jake's level. What the gently caress.

Edit 2: Okay, the Jake and Sherry level was agressively mediocre but it at least didn't have me shaking my head all the way through.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 4, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Crowetron posted:

The only spoiler I care about is if the Hydra is back. Any shotgun with less than three barrels is for chumps

It's the shotgun Leon's partner has in the demo.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Crowetron posted:

Somehow, Chris's almost complete nonreaction to half that poo poo only adds to the crazy. Chainsaw dude? Sure, why not. A giant bat centipede? Whatever, bro. Meowth just turned into a giant tentacle whale? C'mon, man, I was in Code: Veronica, you need to step this poo poo up.

Chris has had enough of that bullshit.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That we know of.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Cellophane S posted:

My favourite RE games are 2, 4 and 5.

Will I like this?

Those are my favourites and I hated it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Cellophane S posted:

well, gently caress.

Probably not buying it

You might be able to find something salvagable in the few bright spots where the game's lineage shows through but it's completely, utterly boring for most of it's overly-long length and everything it does is slightly worse than it should be to be considered competent.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

incorporeal posted:

Love how RE5 is amazing game in everyone's eyes now because back when it came out I remember a lot of people trashing it also.

Yeah, those are two different groups of people is the thing you don't seem to understand.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

incorporeal posted:

I know it's not the exact same people. I just never saw anyone praising RE5 when it was first released. The people who loved it never spoke up.

I did. I'm sure other people did too because it was a pretty popular game at release.

I don't know what to tell you. There was plenty of praise for it and plenty of criticism.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Crowetron posted:

I think the biggest issue is that people expect different things from this series, and folks expecting a return to its horror roots are gonna be let down by its focus on explosions and suplexing.

I think that's completely loving absurd. Everyone knows what Resident Evil is now and I was perfectly content with a push towards a more tense, action-heavy style of game because I enjoyed both Resident Evil 4 and 5 for that exact reason.

The problem isn't that people didn't expect an action game, it's that people didn't expect such a derivative, poorly realized action game.

That's the real problem with this game is that the cues it takes from the action genere and very specific series that are a part of the genre have been done better a significant time ago. There's no excuse how poor an iterator this game is.

Wandle Cax posted:

He said the general response to the game on this forum has differed over time which is a valid point.

He said this:

quote:

Love how RE5 is amazing game in everyone's eyes now

Which isn't true. The general response hasn't differed that much over time. It's just this constant thing everyone latches onto whichever side of the fence was slightly more popular at the time and now all of a sudden that's the overwhelming truth that was present then.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Not wanting to really get into it much but I seriously saw 0 praise for RE5 anywhere.

Were you blind, perhaps, or illiterate? That's a crazy suggestion. Zero praise? Anywhere? When it was released? Anywhere?

That's a statement about you, not about Resident Evil 5. You weren't looking for coverage of Resident Evil 5 at that time then because there were plenty of positive reviews.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/play.../critic-reviews

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Oct 3, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I legit have no idea what you're talking about. It controls well;

In this very thread you've had people, who love this game, pointing out that the default controls are completely poo poo and that you have to tweak to even get them to something that's manageable.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

the plot is the same cornball stuff from the RE series,

That doesn't mean it's as good, as funny or as entertaining as the other Resident Evil games. It just mean it's the same amount of bizzareness, which is a complete non-term in terms of quality.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

and the monsters are fun to shoot.

No, they are not. I mean ignoring that the gunplay feels incredibly weak there are several instances in the game where enemies will completely ignore shots that hit them, where your contex-sensitive melee attacks will miss for no reason on a prone enemy that you are standing right next to/on top of and there's numerous basic enemes with completely uninterruptable attacks which by all rights should be because the camera is so offensively close to the action and the movement is so poor in relation to that camera that the game makes it pointlessly frustrating to dodge those attacks.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It blows my mind that you can like 5, but hate 6 when 6 is literally just a much improved version of the previous game.

It blows my mind that you think this an improved version of any of the games that it owes it's lineage to.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Crowetron posted:

I didn't mean to imply that was everyone's single problem with the game, just that it's a complaint I've seen a lot, including in this thread.

See, that's interesting, because most of the criticism I've seen is stuff similar to mine, which is basically crticizing the action elements for being poorly handled. I haven't seen anyone criticizing earnestly because it's not a tank controls shooter with fixed camera points, but because the progression they've made here isn't actually progressive at all.

I think, if anything, the people criticizing it so harshly are more aware of the fact that this new game is an action game first and foremost and are judging it as such, whereas the people who like it are evaluating it more on the same level that people did Resident Evil 4, where they were thinking of it as strictly a hybrid experience.

Well, not precisely the same as that, but I think it's a similar headspace they're coming from. Not that I'd presume to know or state that as categorical, it's just an interesting trend I've noted.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Once again; I'm sorry you didn't like the game, but it isn't a bad game.

You don't have to apologize, but it is a bad game. See? Sorted.

I don't find stuff like 'it made me smile' a compelling defence and if you had a different experience than me, it's fine, but you asked me to explain what I didn't like about the game so this whole oddly patronizing 'I'm sorry you just didn't like it but it's not bad' thing isn't necessary.

I'm aware we have differing opinions, you don't have to try and justify that difference to yourself by repeating 'it isn't a bad game' at me like a mantra and apologizing, man. It's okay. I'm not trying to suggest anyone here is less intelligent or wrong or has made a mistake by enjoying the game.

Crowetron posted:

I've been kind of avoiding actual reviews for fear of spoilers, so I guess that's based mostly on youtube comments and the occasional forum post.

So, yeah, that was a dumb thing for me to say, sorry.

No, not really, you weren't wrong. You still haven't seen a lot of the criticism you were saying you hadn't. I think it's an interesting disparity, though and I don't think I'm quite on the money, but I do think there's some truth to what I suggested because a lot of the criticism that I've seen has been similar to mine which is that the action elements aren't very satsifying or don't work or whatever.

I think it might be because of that stopgap element that cropped up with 4 and 5 where people thought that the hybrid nature of those games justified some of the jank withe more action-oriented inclusions whereas because 6 has moved a lot further towards being a straight up action game a lot of people are coming down harder, though I think not unfairly, on the action elements.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm not though? I'm genuinely just trying to be polite is all. I guess it's lost on you as I figured it would be better then just shouting "gently caress YOU YOU'RE WRONG".

Oh okay, that's fair enough. It just seemed really bizarre with the whole 'I literally don't understand how you can not like it' thing. That's cool.

Leyburn posted:

It's less of a step in a single direction, and more a sprawl into every direction they could think of.

That's true and is definitely something I took issue with, but I was talking about the basic way the game controls. Sorry for the confusion.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Billy went to the land of lost Limbo where terrible characters go.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Fraction posted:

I picked up RE: Outbreak today (4.00 ), what are goon opinions on it?

Outbreak owns. Outbreak 2 also owns, but not in a legitimate way.

Outbreak, oh man, I wish I still had my copy.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Barudak posted:

Which was the one where you murder the Zombie Elephant? Because 4 player co-op of that is the most horrilbe god awful fun I've had on the PS2

That's 2. I loved 2, but it got a really bad wrap for a couple of reasons.

Fraction posted:

Sweet, I'm glad to hear Outbreak is good! I couldn't see anything in the OP on it so I very nearly didn't get it at the shop.

They came out at a time when online play wasn't really in and that particular style of Resident Evil game was on it's way out.

If you ask a Resident Evil fan what their favourite in the series is, no one will say Outbreak 1 or 2 off the top of their head, but more people probably should.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 11, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Policenaut posted:

I still think Outbreak could make a comeback as an HD remaster on PSN/XBLA.

Yes, definitely. That would be fantastic.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Are the wii/gamecube remakes the best way to play through 1-3?

No. Get them off the PSN.

Not to denigrate the REmake, which I happen to quite appreciate, but the best way to experience RE 1-3 is to play those games, the remakes, prequels, etc. etc. are sufficiently different games.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

SoggyGravy posted:

Are we just dismissing the fact that Leon's solution to a giant boulder...(read:the earth itself) being in his way is to just punch it until it is obliterated?

I'm legitimately angry that you forgot that this was Chris.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That guy's going to rip his cock off when he sees Rachel.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I picked up RE6 when it was on sale furing the Xbox Live thing they did recently. I've been kind of struggling with it. I'm having the same troubles I had when I first played it, namely that the game doesn't explain things very well, or convey information to you effectively at all. I am enjoying it a lot more than I did when I first played it, but I thought it was pretty terrible when I first gave it a shot, so that doesn't mean much.

I'm going through Leon's campaign first this time. I'm up to the Church boss-fight, or rather just after the Church segment. Done all the puzzles, killed the wierd, wheezing gas monster, gone down and found the Ada link.

Anybody have any recommendations for things to keep in mind for the rest of it. I'm playing as Helena, who is a way more interesting protagonist at this point, if that helps.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Cyra posted:

Edit: Helena is the last person in this game that I'd deem "interesting", and that's really saying something.

Really? Maybe it's just because I don't remember much of the story from the first time I played it, but I'm really enjoying the way her and Leon play off each other.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Does the writing in Revelations ever pick up at any point? Not become better, but just....fun?

It seems really flat and bland all the humour so far is really forced.

Also, man, that one character's design that's just a pair of tits with no face is hilarious.

Jill's new partner is insufferable, too.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Bruce McGivern and Fong Lei need to make a come-back as some kind of very specific anti bioterrorism attacks on cruise ships odd couple.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

I still can't believe RE5 uses the mega space laser and RE6 actually has missions in China but they completely ignored Fong Ling and Bruce McGivern.

It's a much maligned game, but I really, really love it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Chris' campaign isn't much better.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It's second on the list and it's the second worst campaign by a slim margin.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Hey, I believe you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Chris has the Humvee level, a ton of dumb bullshit QTEs, consistently terrible bosses and an absolutely awful second half as soon as it reaches China.

Resident Evil 6's best isn't very good, but it's not that bad.

Ada's campaign is probably the best.