Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

"You are about to enter the world of survival horror MOTHERFUCKER"
-tagline on the back of the box.

WARNING GAMEFAQS MESSAGE BOARD LEVELS OF WHITEKNIGHTING ALERT

Resident Evil's particular brand of survival horror is not now, and arguably never has been, "horrifying". That was really always Silent Hill's domain, whereas RE focused on the "survival" part to provide tension, with a few cheap scares where needed. When you look at it this way, RE4 was really polishing the formula, rather than reinventing it, and that's why people remember it so fondly. There was still tension, maybe even fear when you hear that loving chainsaw rev up, but no more pretense of horror. The plot is mind-bogglingly convoluted relative to the amount of effort people spend caring about it, and the voice acting gets more ridiculous better with every game, but it's all part of the charm imho.

The biggest difference with the upcoming games that I can tell is that your means of fighting back are becoming more polished, so regular zombies/Plagas infected don't pose much of a challenge anymore, but bigger stuff still does. WRT tone, ORC is non-canon, right? Just pretend it takes place in an alternate universe where the mansion was less The Thing with cops and more Die Hard with zombies and Brodown in Brocoon City makes a lot more sense.

I am going to miss it if RE6 lets you shoot while moving though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I was more kidding then anything

Oh I know. But I figured someone was going to get all goony and pedantic over the loss of ~true Resi feel~ of the newer games and I should pre-empt them or it could have been worse.

So much worse.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

edit: what am I thinking, there's a PS3 goon database

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 29, 2012

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Awesome, just the excuse I needed to sell my Wii.

(I'll still buy Xenoblade Chronicles tho)

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Are there any "casuals" left playing RE5 on PS3? The last time I played that loving mercs mode I died with 2 seconds left on the clock and now I am afraid to play with the neckbearded pubbies because I'm so bad, but I can't stop playing this lovely game, so I'm playing Professional with AI Sheva. I need help if I'm gonna 100% this fucker.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Leyburn posted:

We really need a pure action, heavily melee focused Barry and Josh spin-off series.

Man, this right here is all I ever want from another mercs game. Like that lovely 3ds game but with wrestling moves and straight up executing a zombie/ganado/majini.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Wanderer posted:

I'm playing initially on Amateur to get used to the new controls. With that in mind, along with pauses to look around, scout for collectibles, and getting stuck figuring out where to go next or something, I'm knocking them down in about maybe seven to eight hours per campaign. That's ballpark; I don't have the game in front of me right now for exact figures..

In my experience, all of RE5 was like 7 hours tops, and you can easily do it in 5 if you have good guns and know what to do. Is RE6 really three times as long? That is good news, and adds to my desire to pick up the game.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Trico sums up my reaction to Leon's campaign. It's a much smoother control system than 4 and 5, and my confusion over what does what could be remedied by reading the manual with the full game. I'll try out Chris and Jake tonight to see what the big deal is about cover, but Leon plays just like I was expecting, basically. Can't wait to figure out wihat skill points do!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Thievery posted:

When you're downed, and the red bar changes to white, does that just mean how long it is until you can attack to defend yourself or is it a death timer/revive timer/whatever timer?

It's like the DYING status from RE5 except one critical change: when the bar runs out, instead of dropping dead you go back into DANGER and can immediately pop pills to get back to full health. Thank Christ for that, I don't know how often I survived a hit in RE5 pro and then bled out because Sheva saw something shiny.

Fake e: Sheva saw something shiny, 5 times fast, is almost as hard as RE5 pro.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

I always get a little surprised these days when an M-rated game actually contains levels of violence or obscene language that you'd see in an R-rated movie. Mass Effect 2 would probably get a PG-13 rating from the MPAA, but I guess the immersion factor gets it an M from the ESRB. Not that the MPAA is lenient by any means but the ESRBat times kinda feels like the Hayes Film Code we had in the US for a time (arbitrary rules enforcing moral filmmaking, like no kiss could last more than 3 seconds).

E: this is probably why people like stuff like Saints Row so much. Fight the power, with a dildo bat!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Thievery posted:

Then play as Leon, like everyone should be doing all the time.

To be fair, Helena starts with a loving Hydra.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Tremors posted:

I just recently started playing RE5 on the pc. Modding it is pretty fun after playing it stock on the 360 for so long. All of the punches, all of the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WKpXUZo4Go

Where does one find mods for the PC? I might buy the PC version on the steam sale and I need to be assured it won't be the same as the PS3 version if I can help it.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Poppycock. My theory is that these reviewers all secretly love the game and want everyone to play it, so their scores are designed to drive the price down to $30 by Christmas, and if Capcom gets burned in the process, well it serves those fuckers right for canceling Megaman Legends 3.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

No mention of games journalism is complete without mentioning Obsidian and the establishment's dogged refusal to understand that it is not, in fact, the developer's responsibility to perform QA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Late on this, probably, but I assume the thread's heard that M-Two is off the rumored RE4 remake and Capcom's primary dev team is now in charge. Is there a consumer survey or anything I can take to tell Capcom that I quite enjoyed RE3R and I just wanted more of it? I didn't mind the narrative or gameplay changes, but there's a reason no one was especially jazzed about Resistance, and I doubt I'm alone in saying I would rather have seen that dev time spent on adding the clock tower or Operation Mad Jackal to RE3R.