Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Me and Manac0r spent nearly two loving hours on Lost in Nightmares' DLC, trying to outdo Wesker in melee as our guns were useless - we got the Everyone Was Kung Fu Fightin' achievement for doing a certain amount of damage to Wesker, and it suddenly twigged: you're not meant to fight him, you're meant to survive him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

DE is it worth it purely for the gut punch they give you near the end.

I'm gonna be late, just two more minutes!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

My mind was blown the first time I attacked Krauser with the knife. I know there was the QTE fight beforehand, but I just pulled out the weapon for a laugh during his 'actual' fight - having already died to him several times - and did a complete when he lowered his own gun to close melee distance.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

NESguerilla posted:

Hm, I kind of like that. I'm pretty optimistic about RE6. The only thing that really worries me is that it shows dudes shooting from cover in the trailer. I hope that isn't a big part of the game.

Did you not see the monster that pulls people from cover?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Goddamit, HALF OFF RESIDENT EVIL FRANCHISE declares Steam. It's RE5 only, ORC isn't included.

v: It's still showing as 30 for me.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 25, 2012

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Oh my god by all counts ORC is a really average, cheaply made game but by god I'm smiling constantly. Conversations from previous games recreated word-for-word, strings of music incorporated into the general soundtrack, playing as the Umbrella bad guys, etc etc. I should feel bad for buying a game that's been mauled by the gaming press but I'm in love.

Should probably play multiplayer though. I guess pubbies won't be too different from the bots either way.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Aye aye, definitely. Pick up some guns, get some friends together, blast zombies in the face, chuck zombies at each other as bullet shields.

I'd reccomend this to any fan of the series really - at that price anyway. I'd think twice before pulling the trigger on it full price, but if you've got friends to play it with then at budget you can't go too far wrong.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Beltway is an amazing character.

"Stop getting hurt, you rear end in a top hat. " - the best First Aid spray quote.

e; oh my god his friendly fire stuff. "Which one of you assholes just shot me?! "

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 26, 2012

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I've heard the PC port of ORC was kind of crap. Is it still worth picking up if I can convince a friend to?

It works fine for me, GFWL aside. It'll get really boring if you're playing solo but with friends, at budget price, you'll get a lot of fun out of it. Be warned the game is quite repetitive though - best play a mission at a time or so, unless you're really on a roll. Overall the game is just simple, schloky fun. They don't seem to have made anywhere near as much use of the lets gently caress with canon approach originally advertised, sadly.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Oh gently caress yes. ORC doesn't live up to its promise, it doesn't mess with the canon as much as they promised (hilariously it actually makes the series more consistent by showing what was going on in the background), it's cheaply made, it's generally average but

I was able to execute Leon and shoot Claire in the face. Full group of players and it was my character who got the pithy one liner and execution.

It's an odd game, really. The actual game side of it is quite quick and shallow but the sheer amount of variation in character interactions (different characters do different things to different people in the same cutscene depending on your group), and there's a ton of callbacks and loving references to the rest of the franchise. Feels like there should have been far more to the game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jesus, ORC has the best voice actors ever for its villains.

"I see...everything. "

Who voices HUNK, anyway? He's annoyingly familiar but I cannot for the life of me place him.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Do you guys think there's any real point in waiting for the PC release? I'd love to play coop and agent hunt mode, but forking out for another gold subscription for one game seems a bit excessive. Petty reason but

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Alteisen posted:

Anyone still play Operation Raccoon city?

Wouldn't mind going through the extra campaigns with friends.

If it's PC I'd be happy to. Love the game in all its cheap glory.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

How is the partner AI this time around anyway? Does it use all your sprays at the first sign of trouble, firing off your ammo into a wall?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

GUI posted:

They are invincible and have unlimited ammo. There's no inventory management with them this time around.

Well alright then, that's very good. Might just pick this up on sex box after all.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Alright I caved.

What's the "important" stuff the lack of manual doesn't tell you? I'm rather terrified of spoilers (I TAKE MY CANON SERIOUSLY OKAY), so you know.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Um, games do this. It's not like it's an uncommon thing and RE5 actually did the same thing with the storyline from previous games for people who cared enough. The problem is that the loading screens don't last long enough to get some of the more important things from them. Mind you, the game could still explain some stuff in the actual game, that would help a lot more than a loading screen.

Other games ship with a manual.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Even more than that, it resembles other games which play very differently. If you handed RE6 to a gamer who was unfamiliar with the RE series but knew Gears of War or whatever? They'd play it completely wrong because it resembles but is very distinct from those games. Even someone familiar with Dead Space would probably completely misunderstand how to play due to the huge emphasis on melee.

This is me. I am that person.

Got around to starting the game and I just dropped into the sewers as Leon, but I'm confused as hell. Should I be trying to melee everything? Shoot it? Shoot it to set up melee like in RE4? But both approaches get my face eaten and then the healing system and then the dodging implies something and I have no idea if I should be jumping between campaigns or playing one at a time or or or or or

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Thanks man. With all that in mind I feel like the game's clicking in place - still getting into the rhythm of it (and enemies who leap without warning can go gently caress themselves), but I rampaged through the second half of chapter 1 by spin kicking and suplexing everything. The best game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

So hey, I just failed a QTE and got pushed head first into a meat grinder. Thankfully it wasn't rendered very well, and the character wasn't screaming through it, because holy gently caress that creeped me out enough as it is.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

I'm kinda struggling with perk choices - at the moment I'm running with the item increase, the one that lets you wiggle out of grapples quicker and the one that gives you extra healing when you're downed. You can probably guess how bad I am.

Anyone got suggestions for me? I mostly use the pistol/AR right now, but I take a lot of damage - most of it coming from the initial bulk when an enemy latches on. I'm good at avoiding regular attacks but these grapples really wear me down. I'm still in Leon's campaign, Chapter 4, if that's any help.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sounds like defense and firearm boost might be my best bet then. Still getting the timing down on my melee attacks and counters, which is proving to be rather tricky. My reflexes aren't what they used to be.

Also am I missing something or is the plot even less coherent than a normal RE game? I'm assuming you have to play all three campaigns to get everything in order, but you'd figure there'd be more than passing references to a massive bio terrorist attack on the city!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Argh, Leon's campaign is incredibly frustrating now. I keep getting chain grappled and even if the enemy doesn't bite me I still lose health - I should be dying because of stupid mistakes, not due to an artifically cramped FOV stripping me of peripheral vision!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Oh my goodness the third campaign. Jake and Sherry's quest for fifty million dollars.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

So, uh, turns out one of Sherry's CQC moves is to grab an enemy and repeatedly knee them in the face until they're dead. I was watching her do that in Chapter 4, just imagining the on Jake's face.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

She has grown up, hasn't she?

Jake's campaign is definitely my favourite so far. Feels like the right mix of old school Resi Evil and RE4. Plus, you know, punching folk in the face.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Yeah, there's a brief visit to the RCPD building and an extended romp through City Hall, but otherwise the locations are fairly interchangeable. A shame really - you could tell ORC's developers wanted to do so much more.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

W.T. Fits posted:

The Wolf Pack's fight with Nemesis wasn't all that great, especially if you're stuck trying to solo it.

The American version of that fight (or whatever the hell that not-Umbrella was called) was pretty cool, mind. On harder difficulties it actually gave some sort of nudge towards how loving strong the Nemesis would be when supported by infantry.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Policenaut posted:

Poor Hunk doesn't get to talk after his team's shameful performance in ORC

That team nearly put Umbrella out of business during the ten hours they were rogue. Go gently caress yourself.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Vakal posted:

Or a RE themed X-Com rip-off where you have to deploy Hunk's team to eliminate BOW outbreaks around the globe.

Even X-Com would flinch at the attrition rate there.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Policenaut posted:

30 minutes of Resident Evil Revelations on 360, narrated in German.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Q7W8kzUzs

Ryuk45 12 hours ago

I can't wait for this game just to masturbate to Jill's rear end in that tight wetsuit

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

So what is raid mode then?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hmmm. Very tempted to nab it in that case. Played the demo and I liked poking around scanning and shooting stuff.

How is the replay value for singleplayer?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

poo poo, that's making it even worse then. I loved the pre-RE4 games, even though 4 wasn't exactly a slouch, so nnnngh. Why must I be cursed with first world video games.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

TheJukku posted:

Remember that part with the sharks in RE 1 that scared everyone? It's like someone went "LET'S BASE HALF A GAME ON THAT".

Well I'm sold. :iamafag:

Ended up getting it anyway - mostly because of one tap purchasing, but hey-ho. Removed my payment details from Steam but might as well enjoy this! Best to go in at a higher difficulty first, or should I work my way up?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Chris why are you such a dick to your partners.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

"Eh, not sure why people are saying this is like the old Resident Evil games. I've not even been a little bit sc-"

"FOOOOOUND YOOOOOU"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

So am I meant to be punching dudes in the face or focusing on guns. The transition to Resident Evil 4 has permanently warped my perception of my the franchise's combat.

e; oh god, had a panic when I saw the "store" option. Capcom do not play with my heart condition like that.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 24, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Alright, thanks guys. Currently playing through the low level Raid stuff to get a handle on "proper" mechanics and so on. This series keeps changing itself every update, so wargle. I do miss the attache case though.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Quint. Grinder.