Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I've never played any of the PS1 Resident Evils before, so I bought the Dual Shock Edition of the Director's Cut on PSN. I didn't realize until after I'd bought it though that they changed the soundtrack for the Dual Shock edition. Is it worth tracking down a copy of the non-Dual Shock edition for the original soundtrack, or is the replacement score fine for someone's first experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Alteisen posted:

Also I would prefer mandatory patches, at least then you know its something extra like the characters in Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Mortal Kombat, no need to buy them if you don't want them.

The problem is patches on the 360 can't exceed like 10MB or something, which is why they released "compatibility packs" for Mortal Kombat 9 that would let people without the DLC characters play against people who did have them. They even included two new alternate costumes for free with each pack, but you'd still run into people online that didn't have them, which meant you couldn't play as the character you paid money for. It was annoying.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Policenaut posted:

The only RE2 fan project I give a drat about is the group who's currently rebuilding RE1.5 from the beta and plans to release it as a finished game. It sucks those guys apparently live like hermits and only pop out every 6 months to say "yo we did a thing check it" on YouTube.

If they gave constant progress updates Capcom would can it once it got close enough to being "done". If they instead rarely give progress updates and then just release it one day out of the blue it'll get rehosted in a million places by other people even if Capcom sends the group themselves a C&D. Being completely open about your fan project is never a good idea.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Alteisen posted:

Isn't that what happened with the Streets of Rage Remake?

I think so. I'd never heard about the Streets of Rage Remake until Sega sent the C&D, but that could just be because game journos didn't care until it became a story.

Excels posted:

There should be a list of all the good things fans tried to make that were C&D'd by rear end in a top hat executives

Every time I think about Chrono Resurrection I get super bummed. And then I go listen to their Corridors of Time remix on loop for like an hour.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

NikkolasKing posted:

Capcom Sales Figures, including RE titles obviously
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

RE4 is surprisingly low. I keep forgetting that for all its revolutionary impact on gaming and beloved status, it has never been the top dog in terms of sales in the franchise.

It's split up by platform though, while 5 and 6 include PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and download versions. PS2 RE4 is 18th with 2.3 million, but Wii RE4 is 22nd with 2 million and GC RE4 is 33rd with 1.6 million. Even if you discount the Wii version since it launched a few years later the combined PS2 and GameCube sales put it at 3.9 million, which would be 8th on their list. Still below RE2, 5 and 6 but above 1 and 3. With Wii sales included it's bumped up to 5.9 million, ranked 3rd and only behind RE5 in sales.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
The Wii port supports progressive scan, is on one disk instead of two and supports the GameCube controller. It's a better version in all ways except for maybe if you have a GameCube component cable, because the GameCube component cable puts out a sharper image than the Wii component cable, but it's still going to be interlaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Anonymous Robot posted:

How is the RE4 HD PC port? The screenshots make the lighting engine look terrible.

It runs at 60fps, has all of the content from every version, and is the first port since the Wii version to have specular highlights and bump mapping. Main game cutscenes are all in-engine (Ada mission is still pre-rendered as it's always been), it has a new HD texture pack that looks decent as well as the option to use the original textures, and there's a really impressive fan texture mod in the works. There were some issues when it first came out but they've all been ironed out at this point and it's the definitive version now.