Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Thundercracker posted:

RE0 is just like this big lack of effort. It's RE on a train.

But then you get off the train and find a brand new environment! A mansion in the woods!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Policenaut posted:

I'll always remember RE0 because of Wesker and Birkin having the lamest Saturday night known to Man.

"Hey you wanna come over to my underground lab place and huddle around a little computer watching a dude in a dress laugh at us?"
"DO I!?"

If the whole game was Wesker and Willie B just hanging around a dark room watching the protagonist blunder around on a tiny monitor while making awkward small talk, it'd be the best game in the series.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

"Seven minutes. Seven minutes to talk to another human being is all I want."

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

It's not in 1998 anymore. Sliding timeline. RE6 takes place 10 years after Raccoon City, and is set in 2012, so Raccoon City now took place in 2002. Also Umbrella are a crazy sci-fi tech company, so they probably give their operatives some cool poo poo.

Is it really a sliding timeline? I thought the "10 years after" was just a typo in the press release.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Drakenel posted:

Ohhhh man I'm going to lose a few friends over this game.

"Hey, hang on."

"What?"

"Catch. :iamafag:"

"YOU rear end in a top hat"

This is pretty much gonna be the best game for this very reason.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

I don't know but Beltway's skills all seem to be pretty useless.

His Explosion resistance can be handy on those occasions when the AI Special Forces remember they have unlimited grenades, but mostly his job seems to just be stand around look cool.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Radish posted:

His melee ability to stuff a grenade in a zombie's mouth and kick it towards a mob is kinda cool.

He can do what? Okay, playing Beltway exclusively forever now.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

So, I played the demo, and I really liked it. Leon's section was pretty dull, yeah, and it's hard to build tense scares when all they have to throw at me are boring old zombies. The camera's a little awkward, too, but I can't really place why. Kinda feels like your character is too close to the center of the screen or something.

But, otherwise, it's pretty great! I dig the monster designs so far, at least outside of Leon's section. The weird bug-men are close enough to your standard Ganado/Majini that it's pretty freaky when they go all John Carpenter on you and flip out. Plus, the Not-Nemesis that Jake the dog Wesker fights is both really cool and really nasty looking.

But Chris's section of the demo is the best goddamn thing, and I can't stop playing it. It's like "Okay, here's a rifle and here's a cover mechanic, and all the enemies have guns, so try to be a little tactical here, okay?" and Chris is like "Nope" and just runs through the level, no weapons equipped, punching and pile-driving everything that looks at him crossways.

Alcoholic Douchebag Chris Redfield is my new favorite character

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The only spoiler I care about is if the Hydra is back. Any shotgun with less than three barrels is for chumps

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Fraction posted:

I think this was my problem with RE 5. They're both just so dull, in comparison to all the craziness around them.

Somehow, Chris's almost complete nonreaction to half that poo poo only adds to the crazy. Chainsaw dude? Sure, why not. A giant bat centipede? Whatever, bro. Meowth just turned into a giant tentacle whale? C'mon, man, I was in Code: Veronica, you need to step this poo poo up.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Flameingblack posted:

Does anyone also feel that Leon's character has changed so much since RE2 & 4? There's not much to say moving from 2 into 4, he's essential the same person. But in 6 it looks like he's really become anxious and sensitive to everything around him. Whereas Chris just sees all this crazy stuff happening around him and just deadpans all of it.

I think the idea is that after RE4, Leon tried to move on. Like, he has a good job, he's bros with the President of the United loving States, he hasn't seen a zombie in at least a couple years. And then all of a sudden, everything goes to poo poo, all his friends die, including his boss, and I think the Secret Service frowns on letting the Prez get zombiefied and then shot in the face, so he's probably out of a job, too. Dude's stressed as hell and just wants to get away from crazy monster-men.

Chris, though? Chris don't give a gently caress. He fought his archenemy in a duel to the death inside an active volcano. His life has peaked, basically. Unless Wesker comes back with some sort of moonbase and challenged him to a zero-gravity sword fight, it is all downhill for Chris Redfield. He just grabs a bottle of Jack and starts punchin' zombies and bug monsters in the face because, hey, gotta punch somethin', right?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Lucid Delusion posted:

You probably just gave Capcom an idea for RE7; resurrect Wesker and give him a moon base.

Good Lord, I hope so!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I would buy five copies of that game.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Leyburn posted:

I'm having a ton of fun revisiting The Mercenaries Reunion to get myself in the mood for RE6 being released. Anyone got any tips?

When I'm playing the first map as Josh I can get to around 100 enemies routed, but the time always runs out. I'm collecting as many of the time bonuses as possible and using melee attacks as often as I can (suplexes, elbow drops, power kicks... I loving love playing as Josh), but I always run out of time.

The key to playing as Josh is to taunt 100% of the time. That way, nothing can defeat you because you are A LEGEND

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The big problem with Zero is the fact that it's so loving dull. Once you get off the train, the game just goes "WELP" and you're stuck in another secret Umbrella mansion in the woods that no one ever noticed. And once you get past that, you just revisit areas from RE2 for no reason, and proceed to do nothing in them. It also doesn't help that the primary antagonist is simultaneously too stupid for Resident Evil and a rehash of ol' Willie Birkin. Also, the final fight is just Final Nemesis again, except you use something much less awesome than a giant railgun.

The only memorable parts of RE0 are Wesker and Birkin chillin' out in their NO GIRLS ALLOWED club house and Billy "loving" Coen punching a zombie baboon right in the goddamn face.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Policenaut posted:

It's the unintentionally funny poo poo that I love about Zero. I just laugh my rear end off thinking that it's like Friday night and Wesker and Birkin have nothing better to do with their time than hang out in front of a small TV screen. Also Billy totally suplexes that baboon off a drat platform. AWESOME!

edit: haha apparently i still share this sentiment. Silly saturday nights with the two loneliest Umbrella employees

Zero would be my favorite game in the series if it was just Al and Willie watchin' various Umbrella baddies doin' various Umbrella schemes and laughing about it. Like they watch the dude from Dead Aim turn himself into a electric titty monster and are all like "Haha, what? We'd never do anything that crazy!"

And then Birkin's like "Hey, would it be weird if I tried to implant my 10 year old daughter with a monster baby?" and Wesker just sighs.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Leyburn posted:

We really need a pure action, heavily melee focused Barry and Josh spin-off series.

Barry Burton and Josh Stone go on a madcap roadtrip across Europe, tracking down the other Wesker children, and suplexing the gently caress out of them. They also solve mysteries.

Where's my money, Capcom?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

One of those new side characters is Parker, aka Italian Barry Burton, and the best new RE character in 10 years, so y'all better watch yo selves

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Is Keith the dude with the two knives? Yeah, he's pretty cool, too. Jessica and not-Conan O'Brian can go hang out with Carlos and Rebecca on the Island of Misfit Sidekicks.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Len posted:

That musta been before RE0 though with it's mansion that's over the hill from the original mansion and it's cable car that ties it into bits from RE2.

Zero is such a dumb game, but I kinda love the fact that there's a second top secret mansion lab in Raccoon forest, and that's it's like ten minutes away from the first top secret mansion lab. Oh, Resident Evil

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

hrpff posted:

I always thought it was kinda weird how in RE5 it would strategically move the camera so you couldn't see yourself get chainsawed to death (even though your character model doesn't actually get decapitated), but every once in a while one of those big pod people would just loving bite you in half and drop your legs on the floor. Where's the line drawn on that stuff anyway?

Decapitations are off-limits. Everything else? Who gives a poo poo, disembowel those motherfuckers!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Thievery posted:

Also the boss in the middle of Chris' demo...just climb the scaffolding and shoot his back, then jump on him, rip off a bit of him and shove it inside himself. Took about 20 seconds.

Y'know, I've been avoiding the new demo and any potential spoilers because I like to go in fresh, but I accidentally moused over that black bar, and I AM SO HYPE RIGHT NOW YOU GUYS

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Are we still arguing about reviews, or can I ask if there's a recommended order to do the campaigns in? I was planning to start with Chris and see if I can't punch alcoholism in the face.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Wanderer posted:

If you played a lot of RE5 like I did, RE6 changes up the controls enough that your muscle memory is likely to be loving with you for a while. For example, the button that opened doors in RE5 is now your melee attack in 6, and both reloading and picking up items is done with L2/LT.

Chris's campaign starts off with some fairly intense combat, so it's not a great place to learn the new controls. It's a better idea to start with Leon's.

Okay, thanks. I'll probably go Leon-Chris-Jake then so I can get used to the new controls.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Leon has a counter move where he just straight up kicks a zombie in the junk. I love this crazy game.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Having finished Leon's campaign and just started Chris's, I find it very odd that the shambling zombies did more damage to me with their lazy arm swings than the guys now shooting me with guns.

Clearly, the answer is that Chris is just too hardcore.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The game definitely has flaws, but it's still a fun ride. I think the biggest issue is that people expect different things from this series, and folks expecting a return to its horror roots are gonna be let down by its focus on explosions and suplexing. It also doesn't help that the default settings for the controls are wonky as hell.

Oh the other hand, the Hydra shotgun now has a move where you kill zombies while breakdancing, so yeah, RE6 is pretty fun!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

I think that's completely loving absurd. Everyone knows what Resident Evil is now and I was perfectly content with a push towards a more tense, action-heavy style of game because I enjoyed both Resident Evil 4 and 5 for that exact reason.

The problem isn't that people didn't expect an action game, it's that people didn't expect such a derivative, poorly realized action game.

That's the real problem with this game is that the cues it takes from the action genere and very specific series that are a part of the genre have been done better a significant time ago. There's no excuse how poor an iterator this game is.

I didn't mean to imply that was everyone's single problem with the game, just that it's a complaint I've seen a lot, including in this thread.

I'm not sure what specific series you're referring to it taking its cues from, because most everything I've run into has all been kinda of general action movie cliche type insanity. And not in a bad way, at least I don't think so. Then again, I've only beaten Leon's campaign and just started Chris, so maybe I'll be eating my words later.

Really, my two big problems with it at the moment are the loose camera controls and the way the separate campaigns make the story seems really disjointed at times. Sometimes it feels like we jump from Point A to Point B really suddenly, but usually Point A is on fire and exploding, so I guess that's a good enough excuse.

My opinions might be a little colored because I'm such a sucker for ludicrous action movie poo poo. I see stuff like Leon running down a highway that is exploding like it's entirely out of dynamite and I know it's a stupid, nonsensical cliche but I don't care. It's like an 80's Schwarzenegger film filtered through the eyes of crazy Japanese dudes with ADD, and it's amazing!

Edit:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It blows my mind that you can like 5, but hate 6 when 6 is literally just a much improved version of the previous game.

I'm really enjoying 6, but 5 had much tighter controls, a way better beginning, and a hugely superior antagonist. Plus, instead of Josh "LEGEND" Stone, we get some Matt Damon-looking douche named Piers.

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Oct 3, 2012

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

See, that's interesting, because most of the criticism I've seen is stuff similar to mine, which is basically crticizing the action elements for being poorly handled. I haven't seen anyone criticizing earnestly because it's not a tank controls shooter with fixed camera points, but because the progression they've made here isn't actually progressive at all.

I've been kind of avoiding actual reviews for fear of spoilers, so I guess that's based mostly on youtube comments and the occasional forum post.

So, yeah, that was a dumb thing for me to say, sorry.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Calaveron posted:

A seedy bar that serves really nasty vodka and what appear to be the best steaks in the world.
(seriously that steak Piers was eating looked fuckin' delicious)

He brought it from home.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Man, these vehicle sections suck balls, but Jake kinda rules so far. Just droppin' some tornado DDTs on bug-men while running from Nemesis 2.0, no biggie

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Bovineicide posted:

Thanks Leon, for shooting a dynamite zombie right loving next to me as I'm dying. Thanks a lot, rear end in a top hat! Also, whoever designed the swimming section probably hates kittens.

Everything else has been great, though vv

Has there ever been a good swimming section in an action game?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

After playing through Chris's campaign again with a buddy, I have come to the conclusion that every gunfight should be punctuated with a nice lie-down.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Section Z posted:

EDIT: Of course, I have also been brought to near death when a freshly decapitated zombie... Grabbed me and started biting me with their nonexistent head... Maybe this game just hates me.

This funny little glitch has been around since RE4. Headless Ganado would occasionally still grab Leon and body-slam him into the dirt, then immediately collapse into goo beside him. I even ran into it a few times in RE5. It's the damnedest thing, but every time it kills me, I can't even be mad because it's so silly.

The really odd thing about zombie resilience in this game, is that they are total punks in Mercenaries Mode for some reason. On Normal difficulty campaigns, it can take 6~10 body shots from a pistol to take one down, but maybe 4~6 in Mercs. I think they still take at least two headshots in Mercs, but the time bonuses from melee attacks a counters are so great I really only use my guns to set up haymakers

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Calaveron posted:

You wanna destroy any bioterrorist organization in the history of anything? Just put Leon behind the wheel of any vehicle and point him in the right direction.

Even elevators are not save from Leon's curse.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

So, I just saw Resident Evil: Damnation. Don't see Resident Evil: Damnation.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Billy, Carlos, and Rebecca have got to be some of the smartest characters in the series by this point. They saw all these crazy monsters and zombies and giant murder-worms and poo poo, and they just said "Nope, I'm out." Every now and then, Billy hears about another outbreak of wacky poo poo on the news, sees a picture of Chris, and thinks to himself "Heh, suckers."

I guess you could count Barry in that, too, but I like to believe he's getting into his own increasingly ridiculous misadventures in Canada or something. Just running through the forest, headbutting moose zombies, eternally wondering if that really was Chris's blood.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Speedball posted:

Stupid idea: Resident Evil game with RPG elements. Maybe make it about Sherry Birkin and how her body will adapt to stress by becoming better at fighting in various ways thanks to the G Virus. Hell, that'd make it the successor to Parasite Eve.

There are no words to describe how hard I would play the poo poo out of Resident Eve-il

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

GUI posted:

There's a free DLC coming next week that adds co-op to the hidden campaign and a difficulty called No Hope.

why do these things need to be DLC, especially the new co-op addition where the character will probably disappear during the cutscenes.

No idea, but at least it's free! That alone is a huge step forward for Capcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Jake's end boss is the best thing in the whole game. Jake rules and I hope RE7 is just "Jake Wesker: Zombie Puncher"